Goalkeeper Situation

Saint Charlie

Had a look on this thread and unless I have missed it can someone please clarify the following;

1. Is there a recall option in the loan deal with Bournemouth for Boruc?

2. If so, can we register Boruc to play in our squad in the Premier league this season?

I suspect NO to both but am not sure.

Had a look on this thread and unless I have missed it can someone please clarify the following;

2. If so, can we register Boruc to play in our squad in the Premier league this season?

No to the first which is all that matters.

It is sad that KD has so many who constantly have digs at him. We owe KD and RL so much for the way they helped us up the leagues with MotM performances. KD gained us at least 2 points by his saves yesterday. I do agree that his age is now against him, but I don't think he is that far behind AB , one thng is to sure he is a better squad member and thinks the team and club before himself.

Boruc appeals to people who like somebody who is a bit unbalanced. He made plenty of mistakes playing for us, the goal at Norwich and the comical dribble at Arsenal spring to mind. Had any of our other keepers done the same they would be unforgiven

You know I have expressed concerns over some of Davis weaknesses but when he came on yesterday I was confident he could do a good job and he did not let the side down. If we have him in goal for the last 8 games he will give is best.

Despite some of the comments on this thread the supporters at the ground gave him a rousing reception and it was lovely to hear the "super Kev" song ringing out from the Northam. He deserves his chance and what a lovely was to go out as a Premier player for a top club.

I agree Ron. We are so tough on our goalkeepers. FF has been part of the best defensive unit in the Premiership yet gets stick most weeks. Kelvin always gets a hammering on here yet has been a brilliant servant to this club and will give his best if needed for the rest of the season. We need to worry more about putting our chances away than about our keepers (unless Kelvin gets injured as well of course!).

And Kelvin deserves to be reserve, for all he's done.

Don't crow about loyalty when a player wants to go elsewhere, and in the next breath moan when one sticks with us, and look to replace him whenever he shows his face, even though he's perfectly competitive.

Don't crow about loyalty when a player wants to go elsewhere, and in the next breath moan when one sticks with us, and look to replace him whenever he shows his face, even though he's perfectly competitive.

KD has been a very unlucky keeper as he took the blame for Sunderlands relegation.We signed him and then a lot of the goons on here listened to SunderLand fans and the myth carried on.

Yes he did make a couple of howlers when he first came to the club, but he has always given 100% and loyal as well.

You know I have expressed concerns over some of Davis weaknesses but when he came on yesterday I was confident he could do a good job and he did not let the side down. If we have him in goal for the last 8 games he will give is best.

Despite some of the comments on this thread the supporters at the ground gave him a rousing reception and it was lovely to hear the "super Kev" song ringing out from the Northam. He deserves his chance and what a lovely was to go out as a Premier player for a top club.

i understand why some of the concerns are there, Iam sure he would like to have improved a few facets of the game, but if he did everything 100% he would be playing for one of the top teams in Europe.

A consistant player for us.

I think a lot of the posters on here need to get between the sticks and see how hard it is to do the job. Especially with the way the ball moves in the air and the pace and power of the shots nowadays

KD has been a very unlucky keeper as he took the blame for Sunderlands relegation.We signed him and then a lot of the goons on here listened to SunderLand fans and the myth carried on.

Yes he did make a couple of howlers when he first came to the club, but he has always given 100% and loyal as well.

He can't say he has been a good PL keeper though, can he?

Poor for Sunderland and then dropped by us after a few games for a rookie with 20 pro apps to his name.

It's very difficult to get top class keepers to sit on benches as we saw with Boruc. I guess we could have forced him to stay and comply to his contract, but unhappy players can ruin dressing room harmony.

Davis hasn't let us down all these years. He has constantly faced criticism on here even when making the pfa teams of the year. He isn't top class, he will make the odd mistake and perhaps be a little too slow, but he will do a steady job and that's more than can be said for Gazza. He won't be as good as Forster, obviously, but no point in crying about it. Let's get behind him.

Gazza is not an option that bares thinking about. Woeful in the last set of games he got and totally **** of confidence needed at this level.

It's going to be an interesting summer for keepers. I thought Gordon was a good option last summer. Not sure now, but with Davis contract up, Boruc more than likely off and Gazza being a long way short at least new keeper will be signed.

Edited by Chez

It could be argued that, whilst we have injuries in other areas, the GK position is perhaps the most worrying, because it only takes one injury to cause a major problem, whereas other areas of the pitch require a build up.

By my reckoning this season, the below teams at least have experienced a GK injury that has meant someone other than the number one playing matches so the idea that keepers are unliekly to get injured is flawed. Any team will do well to have one goalkeeper play 38 league games and also another handful in the cups:

Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Hull, Leicester, Newcastle, Swansea

So, our current no 2 is Kelvin Davis (great club servant). I think his last competitive start was on Feb 15th 2014 in the fiasco Sunderland FA game. He may have come on as a sub later in the season.

Fair to say he wasn’t fantastic in the PL for us, and that was when he was younger and playing every week. He is 38 now. Only time I have seen him this season was in the Brighton pre season game where he came on as a sub and cocked up gifting them a goal. He doesn't play U21s games, nor Cup games so how could an ageing player suddenly, after a year out, be up to the level required in the PL?

Neither Gazzaniga (who has got worse in his time here) nor Cropper seem particularly competent. Newcastle recently had Jak Alnwick their 3rd keeper play 4 or 5 games in a row. Imagine if that happened to us :scared:

1. Does the situation bother you?

2. Considering our current status of the possibility of great things this season, should we should bring in a better keeper as cover until the end of the season, or do we basically just hope Forster plays all the matches?

3. Bearing in mind Davis doesn’t have U21 games and hasn’t played any Cups games, do you think he would definitely be the second choice as he must have no real sharpness whatsoever?

article-0-16A81ECE000005DC-321_468x302.jpg

Note: People on here often say that most teams backup keepers are rubbish, and whilst some are, there are still some fairly good ones. Rob Elliott was MOTM against us last year. Spurs have Vorm who was excellent for Swansea. Villa have Shay Given who although older now was proven PL class. Even Palace have the current Wales no 1 so he gets regular Intl football even if he is on the bench a lot at club level. Stoke have 3 decent(ish) keepers.

Also – it doesn’t really matter to Saints who the backups of other teams are and most of the ones with terrible backup aren't really competitors of ours.

We are a reletively new PL team, and only spent a very short stint in the championship aswell. Despite the fact that we are obviously successful this reletively short period of time means that we probably were not able to shape the squad in the way that we wished.

Now, it is unfortunate that we did not have an adequate reservist. Im sure KD will do a decent job but he just doesnt have the ability for an end of season run in. That said, im sure the club gambled on the reserve situation. It was an obvious dissapointment that Boruc had a tantrum but we are were we are in that situation. The gamble was to concentrate on first 11 playing staff, and one I agree with.

For upward mobility the first 11 needed to be improved, this happened and allowed the former 1st team choices to drop to the bench, without which we wouldnt be able to be in the position we are. Despite being playing staff Id argue GKs have less injuries per player than any other position, due in the main to less explosive movement and less contact. So its a gamble that I agree with, it didnt pay off, so be it, but I cant blame the recruitment policy too much

No to the first which is all that matters.

If Bournemouth are promoted automatically their last game this season will be on 2nd May.

Saints play Leicester on 9th May, Aston Villa 16th May and Man City 24th May.

So Ewell's second question then becomes relevant.

I may still gripe that i would have preferred us to have brought in someone good like Mccarthy who would have been prepared to sit on the bench behind Boruc in the short-term(as he's doing behind green at QPR).

The club being ambitious and deciding they wanted england's no2 isn't something i can complain too much about though.

The bigger issue was the mistake in signing Gazzaniga, who from what i've seen shows no signs of capable keeper at this level and is woeful positionally. Maybe i'll be eating my words a year or two down the line though.

Kelvin is a steady backup and hopefully he won't let us down over last 8 games and it will be helpful if we can keep the back 4 and morgan/Vic in front of him to protect him from facing too much pressure.

If Bournemouth are promoted automatically their last game this season will be on 2nd May.

Saints play Leicester on 9th May, Aston Villa 16th May and Man City 24th May.

So Ewell's second question then becomes relevant.

It depends when his loan contract ends, and I would imagine Bournemouth were clever enough to cover the playoff games

It depends when his loan contract ends, and I would imagine Bournemouth were clever enough to cover the playoff games

That's if they thought they'd be in a position for the play offs. Realistically how many people, including the Bournemouth back room, thought that they'd potentially be promoted?

Althoguh they have renewed it recently... Ignore me I'm hungover.

That's if they thought they'd be in a position for the play offs. Realistically how many people, including the Bournemouth back room, thought that they'd potentially be promoted?

Althoguh they have renewed it recently... Ignore me I'm hungover.

Didn't they renew his loan in jan?

If so, playoffs would surely have been on the cards at least

I can't remember how the rules work. Will try and find out but we may not be able to register him.

Im 99% sure if he is contracted to cover the playoff period (which I imagine he will) and there is no recall clause then, although he could technically return to training, he would be unable to register for any games

In the circumstances I thought that KD did well yesterday. The save to keep it at 1-0 was excellent. He does need to get rid of the ball a bit quicker, but he didn't let anyone down.

Given that KD will be in goal for the rest of the season, you can guarantee that RK will have him working hard on his comms with the back 4 during the next couple of weeks.

Given that KD will be in goal for the rest of the season, you can guarantee that RK will have him working hard on his comms with the back 4 during the next couple of weeks.

Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Yoshida, Targett, Gardos and goalkeeper coach Watson are all on international duty for much of the next two weeks. It'll be Davis, Bertrand and under 21 defenders at training.

If Kelvin gets injured we should be able to bring in an emergency loan?

I am sure Cech wouldn't mind some playing time and us challenging for top 4 probably is more desirable for Chelsea than pool, spurs and even man Utd surely? :-)

Nice thought but ..Gazzaniga played Prem. matches last season (and a right catastrophe he was) ....so I can't see us being able to plead that arguement to the League.

Noted: Newcastle were forced to play an untried 20 year old (?) goalie earlier in the season due to injuries to TWO keepers. So we can hope KD holds those clean sheets.

I don't think it's that difficult to cover both possibilities in a contact, stating that the loan ends when Bournemouth's season is over: either at the end of the regular season itself, or after their last playoff match if they are involved.

One sentence should do it.

It is sad that KD has so many who constantly have digs at him. We owe KD and RL so much for the way they helped us up the leagues with MotM performances. KD gained us at least 2 points by his saves yesterday. I do agree that his age is now against him, but I don't think he is that far behind AB , one thng is to sure he is a better squad member and thinks the team and club before himself.

Boruc appeals to people who like somebody who is a bit unbalanced. He made plenty of mistakes playing for us, the goal at Norwich and the comical dribble at Arsenal spring to mind. Had any of our other keepers done the same they would be unforgiven

Kelvin definitely, but I'll be buggered if I am going to give any credit to that bastard Lowe.

Lol, but listening to Redknapp the other day he gave Lowe a lot of credit for the current youth set up

That would be the youth set up that he - 'Arry - was keen not to utiilise and aid the development of younger players* for a time (think Cranie, Mills and how they saw no future at the club when HR was in charge after relegation). Are there no limits to 'Arry's hypocrisy, and self trumpeting ?

*although I think he has subsequently been happy to talk about his time and part in Walcott and Bales early years.

- Paulo Gazzaniga is 23 years old

- Cody Cropper is 22 years old

- Will Britt is 20 years old

- Chris Johns is 19 years old

The Premier League would probably tell us to use them, they aren't kids anymore.

Who is officially No 3 GK. Gazza or Cropper?

Cody Cropper called into the USA squad for friendlies against Denmark and Switzerland. The USA have a habit of producing very decent Premier League quality goalkeepers, just maybe we already have one on our hands!

As you have alluded to it will be very interesting to see if he is number 2 and sat on the bench for the next match.

Interested in knowing what Cropper has to offer - everyone is talking about KD and Gazza ... but as Ewell points out, Cropper is an international. Surely he strives to step up at some point in his career?

I don't know if I'm reading into this too much - but I noticed in KD's post match interview he mentioned Cropper before Gazza when talking about the other GK's.

It is funny/odd that Cropper gets in US squads yet is 4th in our keeper order. Think his contract might be up at the end of the season.

Are barely any MLS keepers actually American?

I think it may be more due to the US playing games in Europe and they use Cropper as a 3rd choice as he is based in Europe.

We are going to need a decent back up keeper next season. It's difficult to attract a keeper of a reasonable standard, although Spurs managed it. Whoever we get will surely be given a fair few games, especially as we will have the Europa League to play in as well.

We trust our academy system to produce PL quality outfield players so why doubt our capacity to produce a PL quality goalkeeper?

To be fair, our record on producing goalkeepers is less than impressive, thus far. i remember Kite, Granger and Blayney but none were good enough for top flight English football. I am hoping Cropper and Britt will buck the trend.

- Paulo Gazzaniga is 23 years old

- Cody Cropper is 22 years old

- Will Britt is 20 years old

- Chris Johns is 19 years old

The Premier League would probably tell us to use them, they aren't kids anymore.

Ever watched escape to victory?

Surely it's registered players? If not you'd never get goal keeper emergency loans as no club will just have 2?

What's the difference between bringing in a loan and bringing anyone else who was not named in the BPL squad at the start of the year? If you can just name anyone then there is no need for a loan just sign someone from the local park? Surely the rule s to maintain competition so teams don't play with the bloke from the front row and have abig disadvantage?

Kelvin definitely, but I'll be buggered if I am going to give any credit to that bastard Lowe.

I know where you are coming from but whatever personal feelings people have the facts override them. Lowe Wilde and cortese all had a hand.

Back on topic. This is a really strange thread. If kelvin had a mare of a game yesterday I can understand the concerns over th keeper but for me he showed he still has great shot stopping ability and the confidence of the defence. With a very strong back line, he will see us out the season with no trouble at all

exactly this!!! ^^^

Ever watched escape to victory?

Surely it's registered players? If not you'd never get goal keeper emergency loans as no club will just have 2?

What's the difference between bringing in a loan and bringing anyone else who was not named in the BPL squad at the start of the year? If you can just name anyone then there is no need for a loan just sign someone from the local park? Surely the rule s to maintain competition so teams don't play with the bloke from the front row and have abig disadvantage?

I think you're missing the point.

Premier League Clubs can't loan anyone outside of the windows. In theory we could beg for an emergency loan but as MLG says it won't be granted as we have an incredibly experienced keeper (560 odd appearances) on the bench, and if we lose him another keeper who has already played in Premier League matches and elsewhere. Plus Cropper. None of those players qualify as "the bloke from the front row".

I think Newcastle had two keepers down and had to put a kid in earlier this season. Gazza with Cropper on the bench? We'd have to lump it I'm afraid.

It's a pain not having our first (or second) choice keeper but there is no emergency here therefore no emergency loan would be granted.

(We might still sign an out of contract player, but I doubt it.)

Edited by CB Fry

To be fair, our record on producing goalkeepers is less than impressive, thus far. i remember Kite, Granger and Blayney but none were good enough for top flight English football. I am hoping Cropper and Britt will buck the trend.

Kite was signed from Bristol Rovers.

Going back to when I first started following Saints we had a highly rated home grown GK, Gerry Gurr. England U23 international as I recall. Injury buggered up his career though. No home grownGK's of note since then though, Steve Middleton c1975, the last one I recall havibg a run in the team.

The silence on Forster is deafening.

It usually takes 48hrs for the swelling to settle down enough for a meaningful scan to be taken. That said, if there is a lot of swelling its not usually a good sign.

If we miss out on the Top 4 it won't be because Kelvin Davis is out keeper for the final 8 games. There is no doubt that Frazer Forster is a better keeper but Davis will do for us.