Goalkeeper Situation

Saint Charlie

Figuratively crapped my pants when Kelv came on today. I have never been impressed with him as a Premier League keeper. That said, he has never had a finer Southampton outfield in front of him than he did today. The goalkeeper should be a last resort, and when called upon, Kelv did his job.

Prior experience would suggest doom based on individiual performance, and I'm not trying to sugarcoat this. We are poorer without Forster in goal. However, we are richer on other areas of the pitch, and the services of the goalkeeper can be greatly facilitated by the work that other players do.

Basically we could have a complete spaz in goal with our defence.

We totally choked buying a back-up when it was obviously needed. And now will pay for that. Having said that, KD did play well today. My heart was in my mouth every time it was passed back to him though.

We totally choked buying a back-up when it was obviously needed. And now will pay for that. Having said that, KD did play well today. My heart was in my mouth every time it was passed back to him though.

I'm like that with every back pass regardless of the keeper!

We could have Tommy 4 past in goal and not finish any lower than 7th IMO!

Correct.

It wouldn't surprise me if the club pulled some out-of-contract black box certified keeper out of nowhere this week, but in all honesty we can navigate the rest of the season with Kelv in I think.

Don't really understand the panic, Kelv hasn't been kept on for sentimental reasons! and Boruc was allowed to go on loan because management believed Kelv was still good enough enough to be backup, he has a solid defence in front of him, Management has shown time and again that they know what their doing, so lets all relax and enjoy the end to this amazing season.......not bad for relegation fodder are we!:smug:

This^^^ we ain't in the Niemi /Jones era now

Figuratively crapped my pants when Kelv came on today. I have never been impressed with him as a Premier League keeper. That said, he has never had a finer Southampton outfield in front of him than he did today. The goalkeeper should be a last resort, and when called upon, Kelv did his job.

Prior experience would suggest doom based on individiual performance, and I'm not trying to sugarcoat this. We are poorer without Forster in goal. However, we are richer on other areas of the pitch, and the services of the goalkeeper can be greatly facilitated by the work that other players do.

thought he did Ok after 13 months without an appearance ...........some dodgy kicks .........same old same old

Don't understand all the negativity with Gazzaniga ........someone care to enlighten me

Have you ever seen him? Most incompetent keeper that I've seen have a sustained run in our team. There was a stat last year when he was in the team which basically indicated if a shot hit the target it was going in.

A lot of people have said Kelvin played well today, he made 3 or 4 saves you would expect any keeper to make. Look at them again and for a goal to have been scored from those shots he would have had to make a monumental **** up of it for it to go in.

What the Motd highlights didn't show those that weren't there was his terrible distribution, Saints regularly pass the ball around the back and to the keeper and Kelvin Davis is extremely uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and as usual messed up on a number of occasions which nearly led to Burnley goals.

It may seem like I have it in for Kelvin Davis, but I do actually like him a lot. He was a key player in League One and the Championship, just he isn't good enough for us at this level of competing towards the top of the Premier League, even as back up.

thought he did Ok after 13 months without an appearance ...........some dodgy kicks .........same old same old

Was solid against what he had to deal with, barring one attack I remember where he went to ground far too early. Was inconsequential because our defender got it, but it would have been a huge problem had it permeated the defence at a height of say, 1.5 ft or more :) It was one of his first involvements in the game, and as you say, 13 months.

It'd be ridiculous to suggest that Kelv is a better player than he was a couple of years ago. However, he's probably behind the best team he's ever had, and that should count for something.

A lot of people have said Kelvin played well today, he made 3 or 4 saves you would expect any keeper to make. Look at them again and for a goal to have been scored from those shots he would have had to make a monumental **** up of it for it to go in.

What the Motd highlights didn't show those that weren't there was his terrible distribution, Saints regularly pass the ball around the back and to the keeper and Kelvin Davis is extremely uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and as usual messed up on a number of occasions which nearly led to Burnley goals.

It may seem like I have it in for Kelvin Davis, but I do actually like him a lot. He was a key player in League One and the Championship, just he isn't good enough for us at this level of competing towards the top of the Premier League, even as back up.

The Bloke hasn't played for ages! if he is told "your in for the rest of the season" which may well be his swan song, expect him to up his game! have a little faith :) we are Saints we march on!

Rubbish, the one handed save was excellent and nobody would've blamed the keeper for not getting there.

I'm not sure I'd call the save he made from Ings "routine". I also don't recall his distribution or hesitancy with the ball at his feet nearly costing us goals today. He's also gained universal praise from all our players and manager for his performance. I'd say he played ok but what do I know?

Obviously we will miss Fraser but it sounds like he's out for the season so we are stuck with Kelv so we may as well get behind him. That said, maybe we can get a non-contract keeper in during the break.

Have you ever seen him? Most incompetent keeper that I've seen have a sustained run in our team. There was a stat last year when he was in the team which basically indicated if a shot hit the target it was going in.

OK so if your not a top class keeper by 21 your basically incompetent..........got it :rolleyes:

Was solid against what he had to deal with, barring one attack I remember where he went to ground far too early. Was inconsequential because our defender got it, but it would have been a huge problem had it permeated the defence at a height of say, 1.5 ft or more :) It was one of his first involvements in the game, and as you say, 13 months.

It'd be ridiculous to suggest that Kelv is a better player than he was a couple of years ago. However, he's probably behind the best team he's ever had, and that should count for something.

Hope that is does......we have the best defence in front of him so lets hope for that it goes OK...........

I thought his kicking was pretty accurate today , he does fanny about with it ( as does Forster) , and he doesn't have the length , but he found Pelle quite well.

I always prefer an old pro on the bench , they'll prepare for every game properly and be ready to come on in the right state of mind . Super Kelv showed that today , he was calm, assured and professional . God help us if Gazza has to come on , hopping and jumping around like a cat on a hot tin roof . The back 4 will have zero confidence in him . Not ideal , but Kelvin will have to do .

I'm not sure I'd call the save he made from Ings "routine".

Look at the shot again and consider what Davis would have had to have done (or not done) for it to have gone in. Its hard to see how any keeper would not have been able to save it unless as I said they made a monumental **** up.

I also don't recall his distribution or hesitancy with the ball at his feet nearly costing us goals today.

On a number of occasions he had the ball passed back to him and he dallied on it allowing himself to be closed down, or he passed it to a team mate putting them under pressure.

He's also gained universal praise from all our players and manager for his performance.

I think that was more for him being the club captain, playing his first competitive game for 13 months and coming into the game in difficult circumstances. He did the shot stopping you would expect any keeper to make and we won the game, he is bound to be praised when a journalist asks about him in interviews with his teammates.

Edited by Matthew Le God

You got to look at it like he is the "Dad" of that team and everyone respects him, when he came on i thought he instanly took control of his area, and they all see him in training and he is mr "Southampton" it's a good prescence to hav on the pitch IMO, yes he's not FF but he's still good enough, thats why he's still there.

I thought his kicking was pretty accurate today , he does fanny about with it ( as does Forster) , and he doesn't have the length , but he found Pelle quite well.

I always prefer an old pro on the bench , they'll prepare for every game properly and be ready to come on in the right state of mind . Super Kelv showed that today , he was calm, assured and professional . God help us if Gazza has to come on , hopping and jumping around like a cat on a hot tin roof . The back 4 will have zero confidence in him . Not ideal , but Kelvin will have to do .

That's interesting I thought the back 2 didn't have confidence in him to start with.........maybe just the change of keeper

Gazza's been getting some good reviews for the Under 21's, so you never know, might come good. Thrown into the first team and all the pressure of that too early IMO, often behind a fairly shaky defence.
Well, Koeman and Watson have two weeks to sort it out. Neither will be on international duty..

work 'em for the next two weeks and Koeman will start the one they feel gives us the best chance to win.

8 games left and 7th place pretty well secure. I doubt they bring anyone new in.

--oops, is Watson going to be occupied with the national team the next two weeks?

You think that this is a problem with our defence in front of him???

I'd like too think PG has improved, and he looks good.....just standing in goal.... but the problem come when he has to save a shot.....he's slow and lacks agility.

Our back line maybe good, but much of that confidence comes from having a keeper of Forster's class behind them. They looked a bit shaky and uncertain after KD came on.

Between Gazzaniga and Davis, it's Kelvin all the way for me. At least he can stop a shot. Paulo looks like me in goal, jumping out the way of anything that's hit too hard. The defence aren't confident with him behind them. Also, Davis did well for us at Championship level. Our fixture list only really throws up two real quality teams in Spurs and Man City. Hull, Leicester and Sunderland are basically Championship teams. Aston Villa can't score. Everton aren't much better. I'm not as worried as I would be if this had happened 8 games into the season.

Are we really moaning about the keeper after a clean sheet and several brilliant saves? Some fans worry too much, one moment Forster is crap and now this? We're already down to the last eight games of a wonderful season but most have spent the entire season worrying and not enjoying. Come on, we can do this, top 6! Trust in Super Kelv

Can't save, catch, kick or throw. Apart from that he's alright

Watson is supposed to be very good isn't he? If Gazza cannot improve under him then it just might not happen for Gazza.

I've heard he's improvimg albeit under the radar in the U21s but he is still young for a keeper. Time on his side etc.

Happy to see Kelvin play out the remainder of the season. I thought he did well yesterday under the circumstances. A couple of heavy touches that almost let Ings reach him but other than that was calm. Did what he had to do with the shots on target and claimed a couple of good crosses from corners.

Watson is supposed to be very good isn't he? If Gazza cannot improve under him then it just might not happen for Gazza.

I've heard he's improvimg albeit under the radar in the U21s but he is still young for a keeper. Time on his side etc.

Happy to see Kelvin play out the remainder of the season. I thought he did well yesterday under the circumstances. A couple of heavy touches that almost let Ings reach him but other than that was calm. Did what he had to do with the shots on target and claimed a couple of good crosses from corners.

Nigel Adkins was also a GK and he didn't do anything for him. I wish PG all the best but there is a reason why he's 3rd/4th choice.

He's only really had a run out for the U21's since Cropper got injured.

You think that this is a problem with our defence in front of him???

Remember when boruc broke his hand? While gazza was getting ready, mourinho was rushing around telling his midfield and strikers to shoot on sight. Think he went to 442 soon after as well.

Crazy if we can't get Boruc back, he's head and shoulders our best 'available' keeper.

With Artur in goal I wouldn't miss FF, indeed for me Boruc is better in many aspects (command of box, taking crosses) but we may have shot ourselves in the foot on that one.

KD had a good game yesterday and he is consistent and he isn't PG (shudder) but I see us leaking the odd goal here and there and turning tight wins into draws and draws into narrow losses. That's what a top GK stops.

Hopefully Kelv will have a string of Leeds(a) performances while he's in the first team.

Best of luck Kelv.

Saints are a side competing for the top 6, if we want to maintain that aspiration we need better keeper depth.

Not disagreeing but we can't do anything about it until the summer in the mean time how about supporting Kelvin, a great servant of the club, who will give it 100% while he is called on?

if forster is out for a portion of next season. It may mean we sign a more able No.2..??? perhaps??

Personally, I reckon he will be out for a few months (miss the rest of this season)...surely, we wont be so unlucky that the same sort of injury happens at the same time for the 2nd year running???

Look at the shot again and consider what Davis would have had to have done (or not done) for it to have gone in. Its hard to see how any keeper would not have been able to save it unless as I said they made a monumental **** up.

On a number of occasions he had the ball passed back to him and he dallied on it allowing himself to be closed down, or he passed it to a team mate putting them under pressure.

I think that was more for him being the club captain, playing his first competitive game for 13 months and coming into the game in difficult circumstances. He did the shot stopping you would expect any keeper to make and we won the game, he is bound to be praised when a journalist asks about him in interviews with his teammates.

You really need to stop being so one-track minded. You've picked up on a couple of things you didn't like about Davis and magnified them. I bet I could name you 2-3 or incidences every game regarding Forster (hence why I don't rate him, at all).

Davis done fine. Yes, we know he's not a long-term solution but he's all we've got. Unless you consider Gazzaniga a better option... *shudder, shudder*

By the way his distribution wasn't as bad as is being made out. Didn't once kick it out of play, and when he was caught on the ball he didn't take any longer than Forster does. Burnley just started sprinting him down a lot quicker than they did Forster.

It's not so much the time he spends but the space he gives himself and the players around him when he gets it

Forster can kick 10 metres further and more accurately with both feet.

Got caught once by Ings and unnecessarily put his defence under pressure atleast twice with short passes.

In saying that, credit where credits due , he made a couple of good saves, plays off his line to sweep well and actually came to the ball during corner kicks which I didn't think he was capable of.

OK so if your not a top class keeper by 21 your basically incompetent..........got it :rolleyes:

he wasn't saying that, he was giving you the basic facts that when he has played in the first team he hadn't looked very good. Unless he has come on leaps and bounds in the last 12 months he is not a better bet than Kelvin.

It is sad that KD has so many who constantly have digs at him. We owe KD and RL so much for the way they helped us up the leagues with MotM performances. KD gained us at least 2 points by his saves yesterday. I do agree that his age is now against him, but I don't think he is that far behind AB , one thng is to sure he is a better squad member and thinks the team and club before himself.

Boruc appeals to people who like somebody who is a bit unbalanced. He made plenty of mistakes playing for us, the goal at Norwich and the comical dribble at Arsenal spring to mind. Had any of our other keepers done the same they would be unforgiven