Rodriguez has returned - BREAKING: NEW CONTRACT SIGNED

Saint-Armstrong

If we presume that Jay Rod is a starter for us' date=' where does he fit in our team? Mane is on the left, and Pelle is up front. Can't see either one of them missing out?[/quote']

2013/14 - a front three of Lambert, Lallana and Rodriguez

2015/16 - a front three of Pelle, Mane and Rodriguez

2013/14 - a front three of Lambert, Lallana and Rodriguez

2015/16 - a front three of Pelle, Mane and Rodriguez

Can Mane or Jay Rod play on the right? And that would mean Tadic missing out?

Good to have squad depth in a vital part of the pitch, but just wondering who is first choice all things being equal.

Can Mane or Jay Rod play on the right? And that would mean Tadic missing out?

Good to have squad depth in a vital part of the pitch, but just wondering who is first choice all things being equal.

Jay has never really played as a striker for us. He just plays off the left, usually quite centrally, to join the main striker. I can imagine that's where he'll play. I don't think he's guaranteed that he'll become a first choice for us straight away though.

I'd stick Tadic right, and Mane through the middle if i'm honest. But we'll have a few more additions to this area before the window is out, so lots of decisions to be made.

Rodriguez is better on the left, Mane is better in the hole behind the striker, none of them are up to much on the right. Assume Long or Tadic will be one of the others.

Still not sure why MLG thinks we played 3 up front under Pochettino to be honest.

3 AMs interchanging with Lambert dropping into the hole and one of the others pushing past him for almost the entire season. It was always 4-2-3-1 not 4-3-3, just as our "4-3-3" last season didn't stand up to any scrutiny as the "wide" men played only as advanced as the central AM and cut inside let the overlap come from full back... still.

Rodriguez is better on the left, Mane is better in the hole behind the striker, none of them are up to much on the right. Assume Long or Tadic will be one of the others.

Still not sure why MLG thinks we played 3 up front under Pochettino to be honest.

3 AMs interchanging with Lambert dropping into the hole and one of the others pushing past him for almost the entire season. It was always 4-2-3-1 not 4-3-3, just as our "4-3-3" last season didn't stand up to any scrutiny as the "wide" men played only as advanced as the central AM and cut inside let the overlap come from full back... still.

We didn't play 4-3-3 under Pochettino.

At times we did. Like with Koeman, we didn't use the same formation throughout the entire game & switched back and forth. Under Pochettino we sometimes had either Wanyama or Schneiderlin as a DM, two CM's in front and then Lallana, Rodriguez and Lambert as a front three. Or we used a 4-2-3-1 system with Davis for example in the number 10 role. Plus the labelling of formations is very subjective, one person's 4-5-1 can easily be viewed by someone else as a 4-2-3-1. A 4-3-3 and a 4-1-4-1 can also be mixed easily, or a 5-3-2 and a 3-5-2.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I think we need someone new on the right of the 'attacking midfield' if we're going to play that way. Mane plays best centrally, J Rod and Tadic both looked better on the left. Long might be able to play on the right when we're at home to the team bottom of the League but for the other 37 games we need someone else.

4-2-3-1

It was a shame JRod was hurt all last season. This lineup would have been a beast.

-------------Forster------------

Clyne--Fonte--Toby--Bertrand

----Wanyama----Morgan------

---Tadic---Mane--Rodriquez--

--------------Pelle--------------

We'll probably never know exactly how that lineup would have performed. And although I agree with those that have noted that Tadic seems more comfortable on the left, I still rate him and think he is quality wherever he is on the pitch.

We didn't play 4-3-3 under Pochettino.

In discussions such as this I'm reminded of what Pochettino's assistant Jesus Perez said in a Saints interview back in 2013 when asked by the reporter what formation we were playing. He said: "Our players don't play in positions, they play from positions"

A front three of Mane, Long and Rodriguez would certainly be pacey if you could get them inter changing all game I'd imagine it would scare the **** out of most defences need a creative player with an eye for a killer pass playing behind them though.
wouldn't Tadic be that type of player?

------------Forster-------------

---Wanyama---Schniederlin---

-------------Tadic---------------

---Long---Mane---Rodriguez---

wouldn't Tadic be that type of player?

------------Forster-------------

---Wanyama---Schniederlin---

-------------Tadic---------------

---Long---Mane---Rodriguez---

Tadic seems to prefer to play out wide though never seems to shine when played in behind the strikers. Also if that's next seasons team you are defiantly a pint half full type of guy ;)

In discussions such as this I'm reminded of what Pochettino's assistant Jesus Perez said in a Saints interview back in 2013 when asked by the reporter what formation we were playing. He said: "Our players don't play in positions, they play from positions"

Indeed, and the positions they played from weren't 4-3-3.

At times we did. Like with Koeman, we didn't use the same formation throughout the entire game & switched back and forth. Under Pochettino we sometimes had either Wanyama or Schneiderlin as a DM, two CM's in front and then Lallana, Rodriguez and Lambert as a front three. Or we used a 4-2-3-1 system with Davis for example in the number 10 role. Plus the labelling of formations is very subjective, one person's 4-5-1 can easily be viewed by someone else as a 4-2-3-1. A 4-3-3 and a 4-1-4-1 can also be mixed easily, or a 5-3-2 and a 3-5-2.

Your description of a "4-3-3" with the midfield "3" not in a line fulfilling the same roles isn't a 4-3-3. By definition the fact you can identify one of them as a DM makes it not a 4-3-3. "4-1-2-3" I will give you, though it was very rare anyone other than Rodriguez was as advanced as Lambert anyway during open play when they weren't timing a run from midfield into the box - which doesn't change their position.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Amy Lewis ‏@SkySportsAmy 15 mins15 minutes ago

Jay Rodriguez says he turned down a transfer to top four clubs because Saints stood by him during injury.

Amy Lewis ‏@SkySportsAmy 13 mins13 minutes ago

Interview coming up on @SkySportsNewsHQ He says Schneiderlin's a friend for life, genuinely nice person & one of the best midfielders in PL

Man City rumoured to have been tracking Jay.

I know he can't mean Liverpool because they aren't Top 4.

• 3 weeks later...

am really excited by him coming back

he was in devastating form before his injury and easily the best striker we have

brilliant player and done well in pre-season too. Just got to be patient a few more weeks to let him get back in his grove

Anybody watched him run? Has he still got that burst, that bit of acceleration to go past players? Always had an unconventional running style as he tends to run quite upright, so might be difficult to tell.

He is now faster than he was before the injury...

"We got all the stats back and measured my sprint speeds that I clocked when I was fit before to when I came back and I’ve improved. I ran 9.1 metres per second before and it’s now up to 9.3."

That, according to one sports scientist at a Premier League club, will be up there with the fastest in the league.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3183174/Southampton-striker-Jay-Rodriguez-nearing-competitive-return-newly-wedded-star-vows-come-better-ever.html

Edited by Matthew Le God

Cheers. That's interesting. I guess it's also the initial acceleration or burst, as well as the full sprint speed that matters.

Anybody watched him run? Has he still got that burst, that bit of acceleration to go past players? Always had an unconventional running style as he tends to run quite upright, so might be difficult to tell.

It's down to confidence really which he lacked yesterday. Easy to show pace off the ball but with the ball is a different mentality. Koeman not helping by sticking him out wide which means he has to track the full back. I honestly believe he will regain his confidence quicker playing up top which was the obvious change koeman should have made at HT when pelle went off.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

It's down to confidence really which he lacked yesterday. Easy to show pace off the ball but with the ball is a different mentality. Koeman not helping by sticking him out wide which means he has to track the full back. I honestly believe he will regain his confidence quicker playing up top which was the obvious change koeman should have made at HT when pelle went off.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

He played (started from) the left of a front three with Lambert and lallana under Poch, so not much difference yesterday.

By the end of that season he was playing a lot more centrally.

Potentially he is the best striker we have. Certainly the best finisher.

We certainly looked a lot better with him central than we did with Mane as front man - Mane is so much better just letting roam.

We certainly don't lack pace anymore which was always my criticism. Mane, Juanmi, Long and Jayrod gives us better options.

• 2 weeks later...

Think the tune is right for his song - how about some (basic) lyrics?

Yes, it's taken from Celtic, but so is (hopefully) van Dijk.

♪ When we see you Jay Rod, we go out of our head,

We just can't get enough, we just can't get enough.

All the goals you've scored for us

And that sexy Spanish name.

We just can't get enough, we just can't get enough

We're from League 1 and we fell in love

And we just can't seem to get enough of...

YOU! DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO JAY RODRIGUEZ!! ♪