Rodriguez has returned - BREAKING: NEW CONTRACT SIGNED

Saint-Armstrong

Sorry don't agree. JRod plays left side. mane can't. They will compliment each other and if Jay can return to his best they will scare the living daylights out of defenses next season

Mane can, and has. I really don't care if they say nice things to each other either. Rodriguez can play either side as well.

Forster's cover

New RB      Fonte      New CB     Bertrand

Wanyama     Clasie

Mane             Ward-Prowse       Rodriguez

Pelle

That doesn't look much like an improvement, we still need to ADD players not just replace the ones we lose. There are no guarantees on Rodriguez's ability post-injury or Ward-Prowse's improvement either.

yes and we havnt really

- Bertrand has been more effective than Shaw

- Forster is an improvement on Boruc

- Alderweireld is an improvement on Lovren

- Gardos is an improvement on Hooiveld as 4th choice centre back

- Clyne was ahead of Chambers in pecking order last season and still would be if Chambers was still here

- Long, Tadic, Elia, Djurcic and Mane all additions to attacking depth compared to just having Lallana

- Ramirez and Osvaldo still Saints players (although will probably leave)

- Pelle vs Lambert?

Last summer was an exceptionally good transfer window, the first XI improved in quality and so did the squad depth. Hence why we are higher in the league and 1 point off 5th with 4 games left.

Edited by Matthew Le God

- Clyne was ahead of Chambers in pecking order last season and still would be if Chambers was still here

- Long, Tadic, Elia, Djurcic and Mane all additions to attacking depth compared to just having Lallana

- Pelle vs Lambert?

Last summer was an exceptionally good transfer window, the first XI improved in quality and so did the squad depth. Hence why we are higher in the league and 1 point off 5th with 4 games left.

well done

Although I agree with what you said MLG, I can't quite agree with the Clyne remark. Chambers and Clyne were pretty much on level terms in the pecking order, and MP did seem to prefer Chambers.

In Chambers last 4 games for the club, he was an unused sub for 3 of them, then came off the bench for 10 minutes against Man Utd. I wouldn't say MoPo prefered CaCh to NaCl at all.

Although I agree with what you said MLG, I can't quite agree with the Clyne remark. Chambers and Clyne were pretty much on level terms in the pecking order, and MP did seem to prefer Chambers.

When they were both fully fit Clyne started ahead of Chambers last season. Chambers generally was getting games when Clyne was injured or returning to fitness.

When they were both fully fit Clyne started ahead of Chambers last season. Chambers generally was getting games when Clyne was injured or returning to fitness.

That's not true. Clyne was dropped for Chambers a couple of times depending on tactics.

- Pelle vs Lambert?

I disagree on Gardos/Hooiveld though neither are good enough for what we need. Clyne/Chambers isn't even about who is the best, it's about having one less player who can step up to play that position - precisely the weaknesses we should be addressing.

Your most relevant point is that last summer was EXCEPTIONALLY good, we can't assume we can ship numbers out again and just expect better replacements. If we keep most of our players we've got half a chance to build.

Elia and Djuricic were not brought in during the summer, they were brought in in Janauray when it became clear to the club how shallow our squad depth really was given the longer than expected absence of J-Rod and the similarly long absence of Gallagher. Long, Tadic and Mane replaced Lallana, Guly, J-Rod and Gallagher. I have seen nothing as yet to suggest that Djuricic or even Elia have contributed anything significantly more than Guly. Wile I agree that the 1st XI improved over last year it is a nonsense to say that the squad depth improved to any significant degree.

I disagree on Gardos/Hooiveld though neither are good enough for what we need.

Gardos is significantly above Hooiveld in ability.

I have seen nothing as yet to suggest that Djuricic or even Elia have contributed anything significantly more than Guly.

They are both significantly above Guly in technical ability.

Wile I agree that the 1st XI improved over last year it is a nonsense to say that the squad depth improved to any significant degree.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. We have a better bench (and players not even making the bench) this season than last.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Clyne was clearly first choice by distance and rightly so

Both debatable.

Chambers started the season only due to Clyne's injury but having done so well there, there were occasions when Clyne was on the bench with Chambers in the team (and of course Clyne and Chambers both started a couple of times with Shaw out).

I don't think either of them should be near a top half Prem side, and that's really all that matters.

We are using Gardos as a 4th choice centre back to play the occasional league game and some cup games, he is not a starter or even the first option if the first choice players are injured. Hooiveld is a Championship quality player and a complete liability in the Premier League, at the moment Gardos is a bottom half Premier League quality player. We made an upgrade in squad quality by signing him and loaning Hooiveld out to a relegated Championship team.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I've seen enough from Gardos to think he can step it up and be very good for us. Yoshida looked quite shaky at times in his first season, and he got a LOT more game time than Gardos has.

People need to get used to the new SFC mentality...we give players a few years to come good. Youth players will be staying with us now till 20-22 rather than being binned at 17/18. It's a much better system and a brighter future.

Jos wasn't a liability, although I'd agree not a Premier League player. He did a reasonable enough job but for me the only liabilities we've had since coming up were Fox, Gazza and Mayuka.

Jos was a bit unlucky in that he played between Gazza and Fox, without Wanyama and Morgan, or even just Cork to protect him. Just look at the difference that made to Lovren when he left and had old man Gerrard ambling around in front of him.