Rodriguez has returned - BREAKING: NEW CONTRACT SIGNED

Saint-Armstrong

Lol, so if we hadn't signed him up all we'd have seen on here would have been - ''Bad news, club can't keep anyone, we're going down, we're not showing any ambition''

And as he has signed up, we hear (probably from the people who'd have said the above, I might add): '' This is a gamble / I would have waited / hope we don't stop looking for another player / We can't rely on him anymore / Doesn't mean much with him extending his deal''

Couldn't make it up, this place is classic sometimes.

Are you saying that it isn't a gamble then?

Can't really understand your point of view (if it is one at all). Think you would have to be seriously naïve to think it wasn't a gamble. Don't recall many players getting 4 year deals whilst having not played for 14 months. Maybe you can enlighten us?

landed on Pellè's head against Spurs defence, one of the worst in the PL might I add and certainly the worst in the top half of the league. .

Some might say that's a bit harsh on Pelle. Others might think its a fair assessment.

Good to see Jay signing. Was always confident that he was waiting until he was sure that he was going to return like a decent person would.

Some might say that's a bit harsh on Pelle. Others might think its a fair assessment.

Good to see Jay signing. Was always confident that he was waiting until he was sure that he was going to return like a decent person would.

Very laudable if that was the case, still he had a year left and I couldn't really see him going anywhere else this summer.

This is great news. Let's just hope he's able to find the same form he showed before his injury and that he's not going to be repeatedly affected in the future.

word. if he manages 20 starts next season & say 5 goals i would consider that a win :thumbup:

Are you saying that it isn't a gamble then?

Can't really understand your point of view (if it is one at all). Think you would have to be seriously naïve to think it wasn't a gamble. Don't recall many players getting 4 year deals whilst having not played for 14 months. Maybe you can enlighten us?

No, it isn't a gamble. ACL injuries aren't as career ending as they once were, he's had good support through the year and looks in good shape now. Either way, even if he's not quite as good, the club is in a much stronger position than it would be if his contract was running down.

But if you say giving him a new contract is a gamble, then surely going into next season with a few months left on his deal is an even bigger gamble? He comes back, starts scoring, clubs see he's returned - off goes a £20m value player on a free transfer. The club would be ripped apart by people on here if that happened.

Let's hope for the best. Expectations will be high and we need to be patient.

Well that's not going to happen. If he hasn't scored by the end of August the knives will be out, just as they were when he first joined us.

leave off, Shane guarantees us 4-6 goals per season, if we could get another 20 like him we'd be set for a title push next season imo :thumbup:

Edit: Good news bout Jay I've always like jay i always thought the rumours of him leaving this year was bull :thumbup:

Haha :lol: I know it's popular to hate on Shane, but I'm sure he'd come in handy during a European (finger crossed) campaign. As for Jay, :thumbup:

Edit: For context, Pelle has contributed a goal or assist every 194 minutes, whereas Shane Long has contributed a goal or assist every 195 minutes.

Edited by Donatello

You'd think the club have monitored his situation, and we don't appear to have rushed things. Whilst I'm not totally convinced he will regain his previous form, it's positive news and sends out a message to any of our players who want out. I'd like to think this also means Ronald will still be here next season[emoji2]

You'd think the club have monitored his situation, and we don't appear to have rushed things. Whilst I'm not totally convinced he will regain his previous form, it's positive news and sends out a message to any of our players who want out. I'd like to think this also means Ronald will still be here next season[emoji2]

I'm not sure that it sends out a message to other players, anyone nearing the end of their contract will have a new one on offer if they're of interest to the club. A player who's been out for over a year signing a new deal won't mean very much to any of them really. If they're not interested in whatever we're offering they'll either ride out their existing contract and leave or move on if a suitable buyer can be found. The club have done a very correct thing with JRod but it might well have been different if he'd been playing football these past 14 months.

Fantastic news in what has been a pretty poor period in the season. Whether we see or not this season he'll have a pre-season to get up to match fitness and hopefully be ready come first game next season.

Really is like signing a £20m signing!

What's with Jay sitting so far away from the interviewer? Awkward.

But great news he's signed. Makes me happy to have at least one lad from the front three last year back with us, as I secretly miss them all.

Look forward to seeing him running at goalies again!

Amazing news, he's the best striker I've seen in a Saints shirt. I can't see him getting back to the same level unfortunately but he's still leagues ahead of sh#te like pelle and long

The best ? How long have you been watching Saints ?

He's good but not THAT good.

he did have gr8 season till injury it was v.bad luck, he had like 15 premier league goals playing mostly wide, which is more than i.e. walcott or i.e. sterling or i.e. wellbeck or i.e eden hazard ever done :thumbup:

Just found a vid of sterling...now you mention him

https://www.facebook.com/djreminisemusic/videos/10152227898353869/?comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22O%22%7D

It will be great news if he is back to his best and if he actually stays for a season or two at least to build some consistency in the front line. Of course if he has a stinker of a game the psyco's on here will be getting their knives sharpened for his blood!

Amazing news, he's the best striker I've seen in a Saints shirt. I can't see him getting back to the same level unfortunately but he's still leagues ahead of sh#te like pelle and long

Personally I would put Lambert and Beattie ahead of him.