Rodriguez has returned - BREAKING: NEW CONTRACT SIGNED

Saint-Armstrong

I said he was a liability in the Premier League (he was clearly useful in the promotion season), you've just admitted he wasn't a Premier League player.

There is difference between not being PL standard and being a liability. Jos was good enough to be 4th choice here, he made the odd mistake but had some solid games too. I wouldn't want him starting 30 games a season but HCDAJ when others were injured.

A liability is someone like Fox or Gazza, who you knew was capable of dropping the who team in the sh*t all by them-self.

There is difference between not being PL standard and being a liability. Jos was good enough to be 4th choice here, he made the odd mistake but had some solid games too. I wouldn't want him starting 30 games a season but HCDAJ when others were injured.

A liability is someone like Fox or Gazza, who you knew was capable of dropping the who team in the sh*t all by them-self.

At the age of 32 Hooiveld is playing for a team that has just been relegated to League One. There is a reason he isn't playing for the likes of Burnley or Leicester... he isn't good enough.

A lot of people seem keen to stick both Mane and JRod out on the wings, presumably just to try to fit them both in. Neither is really at his best on the wing, Mane in particular is a bit wasted there as he thrives on making runs through the centre onto through balls, which is also JRod's strength imo. We don't really have any proper wingers do we?

A lot of people seem keen to stick both Mane and JRod out on the wings, presumably just to try to fit them both in. Neither is really at his best on the wing, Mane in particular is a bit wasted there as he thrives on making runs through the centre onto through balls, which is also JRod's strength imo. We don't really have any proper wingers do we?

Rodriguez scored 15 Premier League goals from 33 games last season, whilst largely playing on the left, Lambert in the centre and Lallana on the right.

Rodriguez scored 15 Premier League goals from 33 games last season, whilst largely playing on the left, Lambert in the centre and Lallana on the right.

Wingers tend to hug the touch line a lot more under RK than they did under MP where Jrod was effectively an inside forward and had greater flexibility to switch positions. When asked to play a more fixed role, he struggled. MLG, you're better than that.

Wingers tend to hug the touch line a lot more under RK than they did under MP where Jrod was effectively an inside forward and had greater flexibility to switch positions. When asked to play a more fixed role, he struggled. MLG, you're better than that.

I always saw him as more of a Ramdeuter ;)

Rickie was rarely in the middle last season, certainly not in the centre forward role, he was always drifting out wide.

Rickie was rarely in the middle last season, certainly not in the centre forward role, he was always drifting out wide.

There was a lot of movement between the three of them but it wasn't Lambert's job to work with the fullbacks (Shaw/Clyne/Chambers) to defend on the wings, that was for Rodriguez and Lallana to do.

Eljero Elia

Personally would love to see Pelle, Mane and Jay Rod as a front 3 with Mane/JayRod playing as inverted wingers (if that's the correct term?). Would allow them to make runs off Pelle and still allow us to play with width when necessary as the full backs push forward. Thats my plan for football manager anyway..

Just saw her little report on SSN.

Promising -- lets just hope he signs it.

Agreed. Something in me suggests that he might owe us some loyalty for looking after him and bringing him back to full fitness after his long absence. May be an old fashioned notion?

Interesting re:"revised" deal, but then must be worth doing if he wasn't signing the last one, and if the rumours are true that's been on the table for nearly a year already. Not to mention that Saints might have decided to offer a bigger deal overall but with more being dependent on appearances to ensure value for money. Could also be the case that we've added some more realistic European incentives compared to this time last year...

Interesting re:"revised" deal, but then must be worth doing if he wasn't signing the last one, and if the rumours are true that's been on the table for nearly a year already. Not to mention that Saints might have decided to offer a bigger deal overall but more dependent on appearances. Could also be the case that we've added some more realistic European incentives compared to this time last year...

The club are contractually obliged to offer him a deal. That clause kicked in the moment he made 40 appearances for us. I am not sure if the last offer was made to meet that clause and then shelved because of the injury but then had to be reoffered because of the clause, or if this one is different.

The club are contractually obliged to offer him a deal. That clause kicked in the moment he made 40 appearances for us. I am not sure if the last offer was made to meet that clause and then shelved because of the injury but then had to be reoffered because of the clause' date=' or if this one is different.[/quote']

Interesting clause, I'd forgotten about that, having read it on here ages ago, and ignored it due to the nature of his injury recovery timescale.

Personally would love to see Pelle, Mane and Jay Rod as a front 3 with Mane/JayRod playing as inverted wingers (if that's the correct term?). Would allow them to make runs off Pelle and still allow us to play with width when necessary as the full backs push forward. Thats my plan for football manager anyway..

I'm sure they could do it standing on their heads.

We've been confident about a lot of things but I've yet to see one of our big name players sign a new contract since Cortese left. JWP and Davis don't count since its debatable whether either of them could play at a higher level.

What about Fonte...doesn't he count ?

What about Fonte...doesn't he count ?

I think that while he was impressing alot of saints fans last season, it is only this season that the media and the wider public have taken notice. When many of our players were being linked with 'big' clubs last summer, only relegated Cardiff were reported to be interested in Fonte.

I'm pretty sure the contract was put on the back burner until he proved his fitness to himself now that it looks like he's getting there and he's confident he can perform at the highest level they are back on again !

I think that while he was impressing alot of saints fans last season, it is only this season that the media and the wider public have taken notice. When many of our players were being linked with 'big' clubs last summer, only relegated Cardiff were reported to be interested in Fonte.

Yep.

4 year contract signed according to sky!

jOWwMpdO_bigger.jpgAmy Lewis@SkySportsAmy 12m12 minutes ago

Breaking - Sources: Jay Rodriguez has signed a new 4 year deal with Southampton keeping him at the club until 2019. @SkySportsNewsHQ

RwXhSO-I_bigger.jpegSimon Peach@SimonPeach 10s10 seconds ago

I can confirm @JayRodriguez9 has signed a deal at #SaintsFC, as first reported by @SkySportsAmy. Official announcement imminent.