Feyenoord v Saints

100%Red&White

only watched the 2nd half

mane looks excellent in the no.10 position

defence looked good

Stekelenbery looks pretty solid

we do look strong up front. PLENTY of options.

just really hope we get a top quality CB done soon.

There were times when Feyenoord had the ball just outside our penalty passing it around ... but everywhere they looked they saw a Saints player. Our defence looked like a roll of impenetrable barbed wire.

Our first time passing around in midfield looked slick and neat and the forwards fast and sharp.

Much to admire.

I knew we would lose but we got completely hammered. We really miss van Beek at the back, Dammers is just horrible. We lost to VVV due to him and know he was responsible for 2 goals as well. Nonetheless the difference was quite shocking...

Ah well, deserved win for you guys and hope you enjoyed the game!

Nah you need to ask Sunderland and Aston Villa what it's like to be hammered by the Saints:D Ron Vlaar is free couldn't you guys tempt him back home?

Said it before, going to say it again. Clasie did little wrong and was accurate with his passes, but also contributed relatively little. He isn't fit enough yet. He's not at our level. Reed should start against Vitesse.

I thought Targett and Davis both had good games.

I'd been impressed with SOares previously, but thought he got caught out of position a fair few times tonight.

Strong, physical side Feyenoord. Watching that, didn't look like a pre-season game.

I was only able to see bits and pieces of the game.

The defence always looked solid and Wanyama seems to have taken a step up in class in the absence of Schneiderlin.

it is always difficult to guage performance in a friendly but, whatever way you look at it, this has been a very successful tour. 16 goals scored and 3 clean sheets. We can go forward with confidence. Feyenoord are a very experienced European team so to go there and win 3-0 is no less than any of the "top 4" might have expected. I am chuffed.

Any news? It's all gone quiet for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't heard any more since my last. I know we had bids in, whether or not those have been negotiated further is something i will find out on Weds.

I was only able to see bits and pieces of the game.

The defence always looked solid and Wanyama seems to have taken a step up in class in the absence of Schneiderlin.

it is always difficult to guage performance in a friendly but, whatever way you look at it, this has been a very successful tour. 16 goals scored and 3 clean sheets. We can go forward with confidence. Feyenoord are a very experienced European team so to go there and win 3-0 is no less than any of the "top 4" might have expected. I am chuffed.

Not trying to be revisionist, but last season, I thought as a defensive rock, Vic was more prominent than Morgan. He made a big step up last season. Cut out the silly short passes etc etc, kepy it simpler and better.

The results and performances on this tour should hopefully settle some nerves about the strength of the squad this season... seem to have replaced Clyne and Schneiderlin very well, and we've got a stronger attack to boot! Get that CB and this can be a good season for Southampton

Post match Koeman interview revealed that the Gardos injury might see two centre backs come in...

Adam Leitch@adamleitchsport 2m2 minutes ago

Koeman post match: “That’s the priority, to bring in one or maximum two centre backs. It’s too small with Maya and Jose." #saintsfc

Adam Leitch@adamleitchsport 2m2 minutes ago

Gardos out for '6 or 7 months'. Koeman:“We have Stephens, we have Turnbull,but they are young and still have to improve themselves #saintsfc

Got so say that that game didn't look much like a pre-season friendly to me. Much more intense and thought that, on the whole, we were excellent.

I suppose given we have knock out as first game of the season as opposed to league, that must change the structure and intensity of the pre-season.

The results and performances on this tour should hopefully settle some nerves about the strength of the squad this season... seem to have replaced Clyne and Schneiderlin very well, and we've got a stronger attack to boot! Get that CB and this can be a good season for Southampton

Much too early to say that.

I'm probably gonna get slated for this. For all of Morgan's qualities, I though he slowed the game down for us, meaning we were sometimes predictable. But it did mean we were very solid because we were playing the ball out of the back and keeping it.

It's been the same for the games he played for France. Commentators thought the french play was very slow, without them singleing out a specific player.

Yes - I still think Morgan is world-class at what he does, but him and VW in the same team (esp with the defence we have behind it) was probably overkill. I thought Clasie looked a bit off the pace today, but in principle I can see us being a lot more dangerous next year without being massively more open at the back.

What I like is that we can play a lot of different ways right now. You saw us drop off and play them on the break for a lot of the second half (a lot like the away win over Utd last year), as well as periods of pressing, and then the more direct periods in the first half. We've been so well coached for so many seasons now and it's paying dividends.

Said it before, going to say it again. Clasie did little wrong and was accurate with his passes, but also contributed relatively little. He isn't fit enough yet. He's not at our level. Reed should start against Vitesse.

94% pass completion rate by Clasie is not bad at all

94% pass completion rate by Clasie is not bad at all

I agree that when he had possession he rarely gave it away. I'm looking for much more from him than occasional backwards/sideways passes. If he gets premier-league-fit then I think he'll be brilliant for us. Those saying he looks the part right now are blind to the truth. He isn't (yet) fit enough for our 1st team.

Seemed like a good warm up for the team. Stekelenburg while not really challenged dealt with everything well and the defence looked solid. A lot of play seemed to go down the left which meant Soares didn't stand out as much as in previous friendlies but gave Targett the chance to impress which he did.

Personally thought Clasie did ok. Did nothing wrong and seemed to be closed down very quickly when he did receive the ball, then again if there was one team that knew how dangerous he could be and how best to nullify him you'd think it would be the team we just brought him from! Fully expect him to start next game.

Up front we're looking really strong. Mane is gonna be a handful for any team and Juanmi also looks to have a good eye for goal. Add in Pelle, Long and JRod with the likes of Tadic, JWP & Davis chipping in and you'd hope we wouldn't have too much trouble getting goals this season.

The news of the long term injury to Gardos is a worry and i'd agree that 2 CB's may now be needed (neither Stephens or Turnbull look like they are Prem ready yet) and while i've already said i've got no problem with Yoshida starting games we really do need a CB good enough to step straight into the first team just to ensure we remain solid at the back in case of further injuries, suspensions etc...

Still, a lot of positives to be taken and time to start looking forward to some competitive games :)

Well, it was no surprise that the Saints were the better team but the defense of Feyenoord was even worse than expected. It's clear where the money from Clasie must be spent on... :) Hard to say if Vitesse will do better as they lost some key players this summer but they got three new players from Chelsea on loan who seem to be promising. I guess it depends on how fast they blend in and get used to the system their head coach Peter Bosz wants to play. Usually Vitesse plays very offensive football in order to entertain the public but they will be more carefull against the Saints. Though Peter Bosz will also have seen that the defense of the Saints is the weakest link of the team and they do have some creative and fast attackers. Should be a nice game to watch!

I have watched the game on Dutch television. And the general opinion here in Holland is that Feyenoord was very poor, rather than Southampton being that strong. Last week Feyenoord also lost a friendly against second division team VVV. So I would not be to impressed with the 3-0 victory.