Feyenoord v Saints

100%Red&White

I have watched the game on Dutch television. And the general opinion here in Holland is that Feyenoord was very poor, rather than Southampton being that strong. Last week Feyenoord also lost a friendly against second division team VVV. So I would not be to impressed with the 3-0 victory.

From what I saw I would agree. Feyenoord didn't have anything in attack and were missing players at centre back.

Good competitive game but I expected Saints to win as our lineup was far superior.

Our defenders will have far tough tests against pretty much every PL side.

From what I saw I would agree. Feyenoord didn't have anything in attack and were missing players at centre back.

Good competitive game but I expected Saints to win as our lineup was far superior.

Our defenders will have far tough tests against pretty much every PL side.

Yes that's definitely true. I think if you played against PSV or Ajax, it would have been a lot tougher.

But it was also a great game for us ahead of Vitesse. Far better than playing some Malaysian Presidents All-Stars XI or Singapore.

Haha. Yes, a tour to Holland is so much better than one to Asia or America. Looks like Southampton chooses sportive interests above commercial gain. Wise choice.

I agree that when he had possession he rarely gave it away. I'm looking for much more from him than occasional backwards/sideways passes. If he gets premier-league-fit then I think he'll be brilliant for us. Those saying he looks the part right now are blind to the truth. He isn't (yet) fit enough for our 1st team.

I've seen some cracking cross field/forward passes from him already.

Haha. Yes, a tour to Holland is so much better than one to Asia or America. Looks like Southampton chooses sportive interests above commercial gain. Wise choice.

Koeman has also spoken out against pre-season tours across the globe.

"Ik denk niet dat alle coaches van de grote clubs blij zijn dat ze in Amerika of waar dan ook zitten. Je reist heel veel, je hebt te maken met tijdsverschil. In mijn optiek is onze voorbereiding beter voor een speler."

"I do not think all the coaches of the big clubs are happy that they are in America or anywhere to sit. You travel a lot, you have to deal with time difference. In my view, our preparation is better for a player."

I would suspect that his opinion on the matter is more valued at a club like Southampton, as opposed to somewhere like Arsenal which dually function as multinational corporations with a product to ship across the world.

No names on the backs of the shirts but the away kit actually looked quite nice last night. Clasie looked a bit off the pace and even a few pounds over but perhaps that's his body shape. Keeper looks a really good buy. Assured, confident, and passes it out well. Victor was brilliant I the first half. Impressed with Cedric and Juanmi, but Targett was a worry for me, and Pelle was a bit wasteful. Tadic offers very little and JWP didn't contribute much. . Yoshi played very well alongside Fonte and Mane was a constant handful. All in all a great result but Feyenoord were toothless. Super stadium though. Would be even better if they sang.

No names on the backs of the shirts but the away kit actually looked quite nice last night. Clasie looked a bit off the pace and even a few pounds over but perhaps that's his body shape. Keeper looks a really good buy. Assured, confident, and passes it out well. Victor was brilliant I the first half. Impressed with Cedric and Juanmi, but Targett was a worry for me, and Pelle was a bit wasteful. Tadic offers very little and JWP didn't contribute much. . Yoshi played very well alongside Fonte and Mane was a constant handful. All in all a great result but Feyenoord were toothless. Super stadium though. Would be even better if they sang.

Funny how we all see games differently I thought Targett was excellent last night.

All in all a great result but Feyenoord were toothless. Super stadium though. Would be even better if they sang.

Total respect to Feyenoord and their Fans. It was only a friendly, yet 50000 turned up to welcome back players we have poached from them, and chief poacher Koeman. They really showed their appreciation for what they did during their time at their club.

There is a great video on Southampton FC Twitter which I can't figure out how to put on here (hopefully somebody can) showing pre match presentations to Pelle and Classie. Truly remarkable the reception they both got. I Don't think any of our escapees from over the last 2 seasons with the exception of SRL would have been awarded such a reception. :?

Sounded like The Saints Fans were having a grand old time in the stands .... DISCO .... Let's all have a party ... :D

Read this thread back your on your own about Target!

I don't see a 'just back from the game' post so I feel the need to make a rare contribution - apologies to DT.

I sat just behind the Saints bench with some Feyenoord mates. They told me before the game that their defence was shaky and so it proved. FWIW they think Vitesse's defence is worse though compensated by a pretty lethal strike force. We shall see.

Stekelenberg did everything he needed to - dealt with some crosses, came out to collect at feet and distributed confidently. I didn't see him stop any shots though a couple sailed just over so let's hope he had them covered ;)

Defence looked solid. Yoshida has improved so much since he came to us. He still has no distribution but looks unflappable and Fonte and Wanyama are always available for the short, sensible pass. And they both looked very strong. Targett looked the business to me. When he was on 'my' touchline he dealt with everything. Going forward he wasn't so incisive as Clyne, say - but he did beat the last player and get a cross in when he was put through or looking to make the final pass when blocked. Couldn't make my mind up about Soares. He dealt with the easy stuff adequately but got beaten by pace and quick passing when Feyenoord turned it on.

I'm not sure it's fair to judge Clasie on this. He scurried about and fought for the ball like a man with something to prove at times and when he was calm his passing was excellent but didn't lead to much. Difficult game for him though. I like Davis because I think he always gives us some teeth but he had a quiet game too.

Mane looked dangerous as always but a bit more assured. There was less of the lone runner about him somehow - more of a team player but that may have something to do with our strategy of putting high balls through to Pelle to pull down for parts of the game. That changed dramatically when Juanmi came on. He looked excellent at times when he picked up the ball in our half and moved us forward 20 -30 yards by running with it. From where I was sat he allowed us to completely change approach and this has to be a good thing. There were times when a pass to him went to a space he had just vacated so maybe his team mates need to get more familiar with him too. Tadic was all over the pitch which must have been hard for Feyenoord to handle though having said that I don't remember much about his game. Ward-Prowse looked very confident and competent but I didn't see anything spectacular from him either. Mind you th egame was won by the time he came on.

Pelle looked strong enough but a bit one dimensional. But he scored, could have had more (their defence gave him very close attention and very little time on the ball) and his technique was fine. Maybe not greedy enough - had a tendency to lay the ball off rather than take a speculative punt.

As far as striking options go, I don't remember anything about Long (not necessarily his fault, sorry) and I don't know why Rodriguez didn't get some time. He was warming up in front of me with Ward-Prowse but only the latter went on.

Was a great atmosphere. There's plenty above about the farewell's etc but I will mention Pelle again. When he was substituted he walked along both benches shaking hands and then handed his shirt to a fan in a wheelchair in front of me. He then spent a full 5 minutes with his back to the pitch chatting with the disabled supporters in the front row. Obviously he will recognise them but I don't think I've ever seen a player get real with the crowd like that. My conclusion: give him the love and he'll give you the goals. Just sayin.

Thanks Istanbul.

That last bit is exactly why back from the game reports are so worthwhile. We can all see the goals or watch a dodgy stream but none of us would be aware of something like that unless we'd read it here.

At about 1.50 into the video he says something about Toby leaving, competition for places and 'for sure' someone coming in. Does he mean someone new coming in or someone from within the existing squad taking Tobys place?

Is it true that Saints have now scored 16 goals without reply for the first time in our history? (MLG must know?)

I'm sure we went on a tour of Scandinavia a few years ago where we seemed to win a few games by double figure margins. I may be dreaming though...

I think there is a balance to be struck in these circumstances. Commercially, we are miles behind the top teams and even some of the average teams in terms of commercial revenues.

The new Adidas deal which allows our shirts to be sold outside of the Saints megastore is a step in the right direction, but in the position we're in we should be attracting much more lucrative sponsorships. Whether that situation would improve if we whored ourselves around the Far East and the US, I've no idea.

I think there is a balance to be struck in these circumstances. Commercially, we are miles behind the top teams and even some of the average teams in terms of commercial revenues.

The new Adidas deal which allows our shirts to be sold outside of the Saints megastore is a step in the right direction, but in the position we're in we should be attracting much more lucrative sponsorships. Whether that situation would improve if we whored ourselves around the Far East and the US, I've no idea.

Your right Steve I could not believe Brighton earned more on than us on the commercial side when cortese was in charge.

Edited by solentstars

Your right Steve I could not believe Brighton earned more on than us on the commercial side when cortese was in charge.

The best one was that in our first season back in the PL (2012-13), Watford earned more in commercial revenue than us :lol: :facepalm:

I agree with some of you fans posting that our support during the game was pretty quiet. I would love to invite some of you back to watch a game when there are three points on the line, especially against Ajax.

Anyway, your away support was class.

I agree with some of you fans posting that our support during the game was pretty quiet. I would love to invite some of you back to watch a game when there are three points on the line, especially against Ajax.

Anyway, your away support was class.

Don't worry - it's hard to get excited and produce an incredible atmosphere for a friendly match, especially as your side gave you little to cheer!!

The reception you gave to Pelle and Classie ( and Koeman of course) was truly magnificent. Koeman also said it made it easier for us having your fans being receptive towards us, which obviously would have been very different in a competitive match!! Good to see that it only stretched so far, and poor old Stekelenberg had to pay the price for being ex Ajax :lol:

Maya's English is pretty impressive! We certainly need to get another CB in but I'd be comfortable with him and Fonte as our starting back pair this season.

He is a good player but is nowhere near Toby or Lovren level so would be a step down from the last two seasons.

Ideal 3rd CB.

At about 1.50 into the video he says something about Toby leaving, competition for places and 'for sure' someone coming in. Does he mean someone new coming in or someone from within the existing squad taking Tobys place?

He means someone NEW coming in. He is aware that the club will be looking to replace Toby's role with a signing, but that until that happens he is more than happy to be Fonte's partner. Much improved player, a safe 1st choice reserve, and a low risk starter. Good English, and a nice joke thrown in. Market value £10M.

He means someone NEW coming in. He is aware that the club will be looking to replace Toby's role with a signing, but that until that happens he is more than happy to be Fonte's partner. Much improved player, a safe 1st choice reserve, and a low risk starter. Good English, and a nice joke thrown in. Market value £10M.

Really? I like Yoshi but would put him in the £4-£5M bracket. As others have said, a very competent 3rd CB but we need that top quality CB to keep us where we are.

Really? I like Yoshi but would put him in the £4-£5M bracket. As others have said, a very competent 3rd CB but we need that top quality CB to keep us where we are.

Depends what you use to value a player. As well as being a perfectly good centre-back to play 10-20 games a season (probably not quite good enough to be first choice), he also has the right attitude to play at that level in that he doesn't kick up any sort of a fuss when a better player comes in - it would have been easy and understandable for him to sulk when we brought in both Gardos and Alderweireld last summer, but he ended up signing a new contract instead. You won't find many players who are good enough but are also happy to play in bursts but to then possibly have similar periods out of the team, so he's pretty valuable to us, I think.

Depends what you use to value a player. As well as being a perfectly good centre-back to play 10-20 games a season (probably not quite good enough to be first choice), he also has the right attitude to play at that level in that he doesn't kick up any sort of a fuss when a better player comes in - it would have been easy and understandable for him to sulk when we brought in both Gardos and Alderweireld last summer, but he ended up signing a new contract instead. You won't find many players who are good enough but are also happy to play in bursts but to then possibly have similar periods out of the team, so he's pretty valuable to us, I think.

I agree with that, he's a decent solid professional and unlike others who try to engineer a move he knows it's good for him here. He may be valuable to us but I can't see another team wanting to spend more than £5m on him. Same goes for Fonte I suppose, his value to us is more than anyone else would be willing to pay for him.

I always thought cortese was useless on the commercial side hence why he fired so many people. He would not listen to them.

How dare you slag off the god that was you only speak to me if I speak to you and then you only address me as Mr Cortese (the w4nker).

How dare you slag off the god that was you only speak to me if I speak to you and then you only address me as Mr Cortese (the w4nker).

And don't you dare walk in the corridor the same time as me.

Does anyone know if they kept his personal lift at staplewood? The dwarf would have loved that.

Was a great atmosphere. There's plenty above about the farewell's etc but I will mention Pelle again. When he was substituted he walked along both benches shaking hands and then handed his shirt to a fan in a wheelchair in front of me. He then spent a full 5 minutes with his back to the pitch chatting with the disabled supporters in the front row. Obviously he will recognise them but I don't think I've ever seen a player get real with the crowd like that. My conclusion: give him the love and he'll give you the goals. Just sayin.

this is a great post. good to hear, and thanks for posting.

And don't you dare walk in the corridor the same time as me.

Does anyone know if they kept his personal lift at staplewood? The dwarf would have loved that.

Probably kept it as one of those food lifts like you see in restaurants where the kitchen is below the dining room - at 2' tall, it would be perfect for that.

I have watched the game on Dutch television. And the general opinion here in Holland is that Feyenoord was very poor, rather than Southampton being that strong. Last week Feyenoord also lost a friendly against second division team VVV. So I would not be to impressed with the 3-0 victory.

HAHA this happens every game to us! We beat Newcastle 4-0 it's oh Newcastle were poor next week we beat Sunderland 8-0 and it's all about how bad Sunderland are. Same when we beat Aston villa, if it was Chelsea or Man Utd it would be how they outclassed them.

Well i wouldn't know enough about dutch football to say if they were poor by dutch standards or not but they were certainly erratic and disorganised enough. Good day out though.