United to bid for Mane?

SuperSAINT

"Letting" isn't the word I'd use. The players get huge wage rises, Champions League football and Saints get large sums of money to bring in new players.

we could just say no. bit like everton are doing....and have done

selling your best players at the level we have will catch up on you

Who knows really. If Utd have already made contact, they might have been given an indication that this would be the case. They've sacked the Pedro deal off for a good reason you would presume.

They've sacked it off because he's rejected them to go to Chelsea. They are hardly going to have sacked it off because they are confident of getting Mane for less than £21m.

That said, I bet we do end up selling him. We always do no matter what Les or the rest of the merry gang tell us. If he does go then there will be no time to get a quality replacement and, given he's been one of the only positives thus far, I fear we are in for a long hard and disappointing season.

The Telegraph article in the OP says they believe a bid was put in last week...funny we only hear about them wanting Mane after Chelsea scupper the Pedro deal. Almost like they need a replacement story :suspicious:

Well the 60M Muller story should be enough!

why would you be sick now? we have gone 12 months letting our best players leave at a completely unprecedented level....its what we clearly do

Because its incessant. Last season was bad enough, this season losing Toby was a big blow but I thought that was an end to it, this would be yet another kick in the stomach. A bit like saving Gotham City, the first few times is fun but after a while it becomes a bit tiresome.

SSN saying that Utd interest is genuine. They feel he would be cheaper than Pedro and offer pace, skill and goals to the side. Offer to follow the interest apparently.

Really?! - Unless he's got a clause of some sort I can't imagine that's possible.

The Muller deal looks almost impossible to do. Utd were clearly in the hunt for Pedro so are looking for forward options. Mane wouldn't be the main striker but would be a flexible option across their forward line. Wouldn't be quick to rule out that they are interested is the main point.

I agree Muller seems extremely unlikely but I'd be surprised if they'd spend the huge amount we would insist on for Mane considering the forward options they have.

What is there to indicate we haven't done exactly that and said he's not for sale?

I will assume we have as it would be utterly ridiculous to sell him for anything they will realistically offer, right now. we clearly do not need the money for any reason.

I will assume we have as it would be utterly ridiculous to sell him for anything they will realistically offer, right now. we clearly do not need the money for any reason.

Agreed, unlike with other players I can't see either a need or a desire for us to sell. Unless some eyewatering bid is put in it should be a complete non-starter. Even if Mane was to kick up a fuss he's still contracted to us and could easily be made to stay.

I swear every time one of our players is even hinted to have other teams interested in them this place loses its goddamn mind.

Because its incessant. Last season was bad enough, this season losing Toby was a big blow but I thought that was an end to it, this would be yet another kick in the stomach. A bit like saving Gotham City, the first few times is fun but after a while it becomes a bit tiresome.

but it is what we do. you cant even criticise it on here as 'nothing can be done'...

it is what we now do. Our fans are used to it and even lining up selling Vic, Mane and Rodriguez next summer

no other club does that.

we could just say no. bit like everton are doing....and have done

Perhaps Saints will say no this summer, but I can't see Mane signing a new contract with us. His contract ends in 2018, so its either sell in 2015 or 2016 at a big price or in 2017 his value will drop like Clyne's did in the last year of his contract.

selling your best players at the level we have will catch up on you

A few minutes ago you were saying its...

we have gone 12 months letting our best players leave at a completely unprecedented level....its what we clearly do

So how do you know it will "catch up with us" if its an unprecedented situation?

'Schneiderlin mode' after refusing a transfer in 2014/15 was effective.

Yeah. I'm usually quite rational and pragmatic about this kinda stuff but I thought (hoped) we'd seen the last of the summer parasite activity by now. And, yes, I know we've done the same to the likes of Celtic.

I've calmed down (ish) now :)

"Letting" isn't the word I'd use. The players get huge wage rises, Champions League football and Saints get large sums of money to bring in new players.

Depressing all the same, buy inexperienced player/s, train up, make good (sometimes), team starts doing well, team gets decimated. Start again. The club might make money but that's of no interest to me, I want to watch us doing well, not us become a breeding ground for the top teams

Way too late in the indow to be seeling a player of Mané's importance, no matter the money ( which we don't actually need at the moment). Would leave the club in a position where it would have a week to replace our most dangerous AM/Winger and every other club being well aware of it. Not to mention that his he has not reached peak transfer value yet IMO.

On the other hand it could be hard to keep him if he does to us what he did to Salzburg (Go on strike and refuse to play) in order to get a move.

Agreed, unlike with other players I can't see either a need or a desire for us to sell. Unless some eyewatering bid is put in it should be a complete non-starter. Even if Mane was to kick up a fuss he's still contracted to us and could easily be made to stay.

I swear every time one of our players is even hinted to have other teams interested in them this place loses its goddamn mind.

Well, everytime it is hinted that another team is interested, they typically go. Rodriguez is the only exception, overarched with his injury otherwise that could have been a different outcome altogether.

Considering the amount we bought him for, his age, the fact that he's got just under 3 years left on his contract and that he scored the fastest premier league hat trick in history... They would have to pay a seriously mental amount of money for him. Can't see it happening personally. I'd imagine that all the Man U fans would also be pretty underwhelmed considering the other names they've been linked with this transfer window.

So how do you know it will "catch up with us" if its an unprecedented situation?

it will, it will mean our transfer activity will have to be very very good every summer we ship out 3-5 players.

that just does not happen.

look at this summer. Starting the season with no real newbie of quality in the side...reflects on the start we have had

Depressing all the same, buy inexperienced player/s, train up, make good (sometimes), team starts doing well, team gets decimated. Start again. The club might make money but that's of no interest to me, I want to watch us doing well, not us become a breeding ground for the top teams

We are doing well, we've just had our best ever Premier League season and are playing in Europe. That was after a summer where lots of Saints fans, fans of other clubs & the press were writing the club off.

Edited by Matthew Le God

but it is what we do. you cant even criticise it on here as 'nothing can be done'...

it is what we now do. Our fans are used to it and even lining up selling Vic, Mane and Rodriguez next summer

no other club does that.

How do you know that we are lining those three up to sell next summer?

UNITED BID FOR MANE

We just brought you the news that Manchester United were considering an approach for Sadio Mane, and now we can confirm that United have in fact submitted a bid to Southampton for the midfielder, according to Sky sources.

We understand the transfer offer was lodged last week and at this stage of the proceedings the status of the deal is unclear.

But to ***** and whine on every thread with the same stuff and never add even a side dish of logic does get pretty unbearable.

bit like you pontificating about the negative 'bores' on here and then get all negative yourself and predict defeats for your own side.

we losing again on sunday?

"Sportsmail understands Mane is keen on the move and talks will progress over the coming days.

Southampton will look to push the offer up to around £25million but United are confident they can wrap up a deal for the 23-year-old."

:(

"Sportsmail understands Mane is keen on the move and talks will progress over the coming days.

Southampton will look to push the offer up to around £25million but United are confident they can wrap up a deal for the 23-year-old."

Ugh. It's like a re-hashed hybrid of the Clyne/Morgan deal.

When are some people going to get their heads around modern football and stop this constant whining over transfers.

It is going to keep happening ,clubs are allowed to be interested in our players, every single player will want to move if a bigger club comes in and , more importantly, the board, Ron,Les,The Tea lady, uncle tom cobbly and all at club, do not want it to happen. It is not their fault, it is not part of our business model to sell players, stop blaming them. The powers that be have been very smart and employed a manager who comes from a country & culture where this happens and people just get on with it. No throwing their toys out of pram like some English managers do , just move on and get on with it. I suggest some of ours supporters adopt the same attitude instead of crying about it every time a player is linked with a move away.

im guessing Mane was their fall-back after Pedro.....

the silence from the club about this in the last week is interesting. Before (with Fonte) they very much said NOT FOR SALE

maybe he is off and we are looking around with who to replace him with??? maybe the deal will include Janazui for a season/perm deal?

Funnily enough, I saw Oliver Kay of the Times tweet this shortly after the Pedro news came out:

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes

Predicted consequence of #MUFC "refusing to overpay" (ahem) for Pedro: they MASSIVELY overpay for someone else in an attempt to make amends.

Lets hope that if Mane is to go, we get maximum ££'s out of it (and somehow have a great replacement lined up)

It also says:

"It is hoped he will be able to draw on that connection in recruiting Mane for Louis van Gaal's side. The Dutch manager also has a close relationship with Saints boss Ronald Koeman."

Didn't realise they were so close.. :rolleyes:

We are doing well, we've just had our best ever Premier League season and are playing in Europe. That was after a summer where lots of Saints fans, fans of other clubs & the press were writing the club off.

Agree we done really well last season. First 2 games haven't been great so far but we may get better. Thing is how often can we keep replacing players like this every season and get away with is, sooner or later we'll get it wrong.

Not only that clubs need players that fans can get excited about, who they know and look forward to watching, not a different bunch of strangers each year, then as you start to feel you know them they've gone. How we going to attract the younger generation when their heroes disappear off to a different club each year.

the silence from the club about this in the last week is interesting. Before (with Fonte) they very much said NOT FOR SALE

maybe he is off and we are looking around with who to replace him with??? maybe the deal will include Janazui for a season/perm deal?

To be fair Ronald was directly asked about Fonte whereas this has only sprouted up in the media in the past few hours.

When are some people going to get their heads around modern football and stop this constant whining over transfers.

It is going to keep happening ,clubs are allowed to be interested in our players, every single player will want to move if a bigger club comes in and , more importantly, the board, Ron,Les,The Tea lady, uncle tom cobbly and all at club, do not want it to happen. It is not their fault, it is not part of our business model to sell players, stop blaming them. The powers that be have been very smart and employed a manager who comes from a country & culture where this happens and people just get on with it. No throwing their toys out of pram like some English managers do , just move on and get on with it. I suggest some of ours supporters adopt the same attitude instead of crying about it every time a player is linked with a move away.

all well and good in holland where the top sides/all sides seem to have a high turn over of players. but we are pretty unique in England at the mo. not as if all the other middling sides sell their best 3-5 players every summer. Just does not happen

The silence isn't really surprising since until a couple of hours ago no one had a clue this was even a rumour.

Considering we don't need the money, we don't want to sell, and he's got three years left on his contract, I can't see United making an offer good enough for him to leave this window.

I'd rather they chucked Wilson in as part of any deal.

a) Koeman was asked a question about Fonte at last week's press conference and answered it.

b) Koeman was not asked about Mane today so had nothing to answer.

His press conference today was before all this broke, are you expecting him to bring it up himself?

To be fair Ronald was directly asked about Fonte whereas this has only sprouted up in the media in the past few hours.

football news/main news is 24 hour these days. He is clearly a major player in our side. The club/ronald could easily tweet about this and say it is rubbish or what ever they do

The club must have known at some point in the last few days or so that it would make the press. It is Man united ffs

We've got him to another 3 years and Les and co should be doing everything to support the manager towards achieving our objectives. Yes, we will and do sell players to bigger clubs but you have to balance it with the continuity and balance of the team first and foremost.

We drew a line at Schneiderlin last summer so clearly it can be done.