United to bid for Mane?

SuperSAINT

all well and good in holland where the top sides/all sides seem to have a high turn over of players. but we are pretty unique in England at the mo. not as if all the other middling sides sell their best 3-5 players every summer. Just does not happen

It would do if they had 3-5 players that champions league clubs wanted.

I had a little look at "attacking midfield / wingers" we've been linked with this summer, in the event of needing a rabbit out of the hat...

-- Rafa Silva

-- Juan Quintero

-- Ola John

-- Matt Phillips

-- Quincy Promes

-- Ondrej Duda

-- Nathan Redmond

-- Albert Rusnak

-- Max Gradel

-- Dennis Praet

* MLG Pedantic disclaimer: I'm aware some of these may have moved already.

Can't sell our best player this late in the window. Simple as.

If we do, then I would say our peak has already been achieved. Simply can't sustain this turnover of players.

Wouldn't suprise me if Mane pushed very hard for a move either...

Also hate how United do their business in the media.

football news/main news is 24 hour these days. He is clearly a major player in our side. The club/ronald could easily tweet about this and say it is rubbish or what ever they do

The club must have known at some point in the last few days or so that it would make the press. It is Man united ffs

True though hasn't really been our style recently. Took a few hours for Wolves to do it with Afobe and I don't seem to recall Everton making many press releases about Stones. Seems to mainly have come from Martinez at press conferences etc...

I'm sure we will hear something from the club in due course. Whether we like it or not is another matter...

When are some people going to get their heads around modern football and stop this constant whining over transfers.

It is going to keep happening ,clubs are allowed to be interested in our players, every single player will want to move if a bigger club comes in and , more importantly, the board, Ron,Les,The Tea lady, uncle tom cobbly and all at club, do not want it to happen. It is not their fault, it is not part of our business model to sell players, stop blaming them. The powers that be have been very smart and employed a manager who comes from a country & culture where this happens and people just get on with it. No throwing their toys out of pram like some English managers do , just move on and get on with it. I suggest some of ours supporters adopt the same attitude instead of crying about it every time a player is linked with a move away.

Supprters aren't 'crying', but are understandably fed up of continually selling our best players. If this one goes ahead, I reckon it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

It is a strategy that is doomed to fail.

It would do if they had 3-5 players that champions league clubs wanted.

what do other clubs do. Palace immediately whacked a £30m price tag on bolasie, WBA told spurs to get lost, Everton have kept the big boys away a few times with Baines, McCarthy, Barkley and (at the mo) Stones. Spurs have kept Kane despite united wanting him

plus the countless bids we will never know about

we even drew a line at morgan last year. We should do so now with Mane after losing Morgan, Clyne and missing out on Toby. Plus the real lack of quality additions

We've got him to another 3 years and Les and co should be doing everything to support the manager towards achieving our objectives. Yes, we will and do sell players to bigger clubs but you have to balance it with the continuity and balance of the team first and foremost.

We drew a line at Schneiderlin last summer so clearly it can be done.

It depends on the player. Some are professional enough to get on with it and play, Morgan, Stones , but can you honestly see Mane being like that . Or will he sulk, cause issues and pick up " injuries" every other game? I'm sure Ron will be pragmatic and les will back him.

Mane will be snapped up next summer if not before. He is going to be a star player. I would not be surprised if Chelsea did not come in for him.John Terry said he was the best player he came up against last season, and no doubt Mourinho would notice.

We lack pace up front, to lose mane's would be a disaster

30m would do it. Not english, but he is young and improving. Could be a very good player for them.

Could be a very profitable window indeed. That's the main thing right?

Rodriguez/Pelle/Tadic would still be alright. But yeah people would start to get really annoyed with it all. But let's be honest, Mane might well be interested and force though a move. Schneiderlin may have reacted well to being forced to stay, but many don't, especially when they haven't been here long.

Looking at the club, we don't seem to like to spend beyond what we bring in, despite the huge TV money so any big offers will be accepted for anyone. Everton will sell Stones for a silly price as he's English, but it's rare anyone can hold on to a player, and if they do it's usually just for one season.

Pretty much how I see it as well. He's an important player for us but everyone has their price and I think he'll be off eventually anyway. RK eluded to a few attitude problems from him at times last season so I think (and this is a bit judgement) that he'd probably spend most of the season sulking if we blocked a move - that is, if he wants to move in the first place.

At the end of the day, he's not irreplaceable but ideally I would keep him as he's a very good player and seems to be improving every week. The problem with that is, to quote the Star Wars prequels...

c8b119c4d6a71ed7e94da085806f84fa584061512bc940119d2bb9672b8a0bc9.jpg

I think we all need to calm down a little. It's a rumour at the moment. Just a rumour. For all we know the club might already have told them no, hence the reason why nobody at the club feels the need to tweet/facebook/make a you tube video/write a letter or phone us all in person to explain what is going on.

all well and good in holland where the top sides/all sides seem to have a high turn over of players. but we are pretty unique in England at the mo. not as if all the other middling sides sell their best 3-5 players every summer. Just does not happen

Saints in the last 2 seasons have had more higher quality players in their squad than any other club outside those finishing in the top 6/7. Champions League sides aren't rushing to buy lots of Stoke, Palace, West Ham etc players because they don't have many (if any) players they'd want.

I think after 40+ years of following Saints that i'm close to giving up on football altogether. No clubs can compete with the top 4/5 sides and when you do get close to having a side that will give the big boys a run for the money you get raided. The players themselves are nothing but greedy mercenaries who dont give a jot about the fans or the club that gave them their chance to sign. Yes i'm ****ed off, but whats the point if we cant say NO or the players we signed from oblivion sulk until they get their

Does no one else find it amusing that this story "breaks" merely hours after Pedro to Chelsea is on? The fact the bid was made LAST WEEK, yet no one ran such a story says enough for me. This is just United panicking and going to the press to try to force a move. I have no doubts we turned the bid down immediately.

It depends on the player. Some are professional enough to get on with it and play, Morgan, Stones , but can you honestly see Mane being like that . Or will he sulk, cause issues and pick up " injuries" every other game? I'm sure Ron will be pragmatic and les will back him.

Well it didn't look that way for Schneiderlin, not at first. Stroppy tweet, missed training and had to he given the weekend off so missed a pre-season game. Hardly professional BUT he ended up playing and playing well because it's as much in their interest to do so than anyone else.

I must admit - these bloody transferwindows and the Big boys chopping us to pieces every window kills the the love for football piece by piece : (

I think after 40+ years of following Saints that i'm close to giving up on football altogether. No clubs can compete with the top 4/5 sides and when you do get close to having a side that will give the big boys a run for the money you get raided. The players themselves are nothing but greedy mercenaries who dont give a jot about the fans or the club that gave them their chance to sign. Yes i'm ****ed off, but whats the point if we cant say NO or the players we signed from oblivion sulk until they get their

I bet Celtic fans feel the same about Southampton...

2013 - Wanyama

2014 - Forster

2015 - van Dijk?

It happens at all levels of football, there are only a handful of clubs at the very top of European football that don't sell their best players.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I reckon Sir Les would take 25M

Can't see United paying more than 20M though.... But if they are stupid enough to pay more then we will accept.

If JayRod gets back to his former level then we could be ok really as we have Juanmi also and with the funds we would probably get Austin too....

The one thing I do like about Sadio is his unpredictability though and he certainly knows where the back of the net is. So would be sad to see him go after only one season...

My god I don't believe our fans.

This.

It's not bedwetting either. Sure things like this highlight why I no longer like football as much as I did. I find it all a little predictable and pointless, and why I am very much looking forward to the Europa League (hopefully).

Can't sell our best player this late in the window. Simple as.

If we do, then I would say our peak has already been achieved. Simply can't sustain this turnover of players.

Wouldn't suprise me if Mane pushed very hard for a move either...

Also hate how United do their business in the media.

Spot on its pathetic.

This.

It's not bedwetting either. Sure things like this highlight why I no longer like football as much as I did. I find it all a little predictable and pointless, and why I am very much looking forward to the Europa League (hopefully).

It's not bedwetting, it's disillusionment. And I feel that way too. It's not Saints fault. It's just how football is now.

Absolutely spot on. My thoughts exactly.

Club need to restore our faith with a firm no as they did last year with Morgan. If they don't then this summer is almost as bad as last and we were assured it wouldn't happen again.

I bet Celtic fans feel the same about Southampton...

2013 - Wanyama

2014 - Forster

2015 - van Dijk?

It happens at all levels of football, there are only a handful of clubs at the very top of European football that don't sell their best players.

Celtic can do it as they play in a **** poor league and can still comfortably achieve their objectives whilst losing a good player every couple of seasons

At some point the club needs to draw a line in the sand.

It's not just about the latest targeted player but about the attitude of the rest of the squad - and even players we haven't signed yet. If you get the reputation of being a "stepping stone club", that's exactly what you become in the eyes of present and future players and their agents.

Having said that, I love the positives that Mané brings but I think his "fart in a thunderstorm" style screws us up tactically as often as it helps us. I want to see that line drawn - and soon, but silly money for Mané might not be as bad a thing as it seems at first blush.

As long as "The Black Box" knows exactly what we need to do next, if he goes. There I have my doubts.