United to bid for Mane?

SuperSAINT

To be honest I think its nonsense. Utd could get any player in the world (apart from maybe Real Madrid/Barca stars). Why would they go for a decent player when they can have MEGAstars.

If it is true then like many others have said what is the point in putting time, money and passion into saints.

Ok we did a "fantastic rebuilding job" (why dont we just trade mark that) last summer, we only did that because we had to. Its like saying "I built an amazing house".. well yeah great its only coz you burned the last one down so what?

But he hasn't gone yet and this might all be BS. Clubs are perfectly entitled to make approaches. Its just the fact we always sell that makes the fans so angry.

In 13/14 season we finished 8th with a great squad. Then got decimated, totally rebuilt, and finished 7th. SO the downside is we get it wrong and become relegation fodder. The upside is we climb ONE place. Thats a terrible terrible plan in the long run. Its like betting everything you have on RED at the roulette table and it coming up and therefore assume its a long term strategy

Actually, the upside was that we realistically challenged for the Champions League places and didn't lose players for free at the end of their contract.

To be honest I think its nonsense. Utd could get any player in the world (apart from maybe Real Madrid/Barca stars). Why would they go for a decent player when they can have MEGAstars.

If it is true then like many others have said what is the point in putting time, money and passion into saints.

Ok we did a "fantastic rebuilding job" (why dont we just trade mark that) last summer, we only did that because we had to. Its like saying "I built an amazing house".. well yeah great its only coz you burned the last one down so what?

But he hasn't gone yet and this might all be BS. Clubs are perfectly entitled to make approaches. Its just the fact we always sell that makes the fans so angry.

In 13/14 season we finished 8th with a great squad. Then got decimated, totally rebuilt, and finished 7th. SO the downside is we get it wrong and become relegation fodder. The upside is we climb ONE place. Thats a terrible terrible plan in the long run. Its like betting everything you have on RED at the roulette table and it coming up and therefore assume its a long term strategy

Well if you look at their recent record of signing these "megastars" you'll see that they're not all that successful. The number of Manu "targets" that have moved to other clubs or stayed put this summer is sort of impressive. Perhaps LvG isn't very popular with players eh. The very nature of the PL itself is offputting enough for many, there are some who just don't fancy 60 matches a season with no winter break when compared to the "Club Med" conditions in Spain and Germany.

Entirely brought on by our own weakness and not being assertive with a big get lost ! We cave in every time so do you expect!!!!

Poor management on our part it's no wonder we continue to get raided. Money is no use what so ever without class players..... Money cannot defend or score goals but our management are great at own goals!

Draw a line in the sand or face the consequences !

Morgan?

So sell him in summer 2016?

Yes, that's exactly what everyone is saying. With two years still left next summer there's no chance of his value being reduced just as a function of contract duration, and there's every chance that with another good year his value will increase further compared to today.

I heard today Woodward was told only to come to Barca if you're paying the buy out clause , he arrived and tried to insert add on's which eventually added up to the fee , Chelsea nipped in and agreed to pay the fee and Pedro felt that meant they wanted him more haha! Then he thinks 15m will buy Mane what is the guy on , doesn't help the day before arguably one of the most important games in decades!

Edited by simo

I agree that we should learn how to say no, but out of interest, how much of a disaster would it be if we were to sell? I think the loss of MS was a far bigger blow. We might be able to negotiate a deal where we get a couple of decent players in exchange (permanently, not on loan) and who's to say that Juanmi wouldn't be able to step into Mane's role? Let's not forget, there were times last season where people were seriously questioning Mane's ability. Even RK admitted that he had a dilemma on a couple of occasions where he was torn as to whether he should play Long or Mane.

As I said before, I'm not saying we should sell. I just think this whole thing makes a very interesting topic for discussion.

Actually, the upside was that we realistically challenged for the Champions League places and didn't lose players for free at the end of their contract.

Still finished 7th.. the ride was fun but materially that's the only thing that changed.

Not all the players had 1 year left on their contract, Chambers, Lovren, Lallana just off the top of my head

And why are we the club that gets destroyed each summer by poachers.. its because we are a soft touch

BBC Sport: Southampton have admitted Manchester United are interested in signing Senegal winger Sadio Mane.

Strange choice of word seeing as it has only emerged in the last hour or so. It's not like it's been in the pipeline for a long time. As quickly as this is escalating though I'm getting quite worried he will go. At the same time if he wants out we should cash in now and replace him. The last thing we want is United panicking and buying him on deadline day, leaving us without arguably our best player.

BBC Sport: Southampton have admitted Manchester United are interested in signing Senegal winger Sadio Mane.

Strange choice of word seeing as it has only emerged in the last hour or so. It's not like it's been in the pipeline for a long time. As quickly as this is escalating though I'm getting quite worried he will go. At the same time if he wants out we should cash in now and replace him. The last thing we want is United panicking and buying him on deadline day, leaving us without arguably our best player.

how can they panic buy him if we just say no?

I agree that we should learn how to say no, but out of interest, how much of a disaster would it be if we were to sell? I think the loss of MS was a far bigger blow. We might be able to negotiate a deal where we get a couple of decent players in exchange (permanently, not on loan) and who's to say that Juanmi wouldn't be able to step into Mane's role? Let's not forget, there were times last season where people were seriously questioning Mane's ability. Even RK admitted that he had a dilemma on a couple of occasions where he was torn as to whether he should play Long or Mane.

As I said before, I'm not saying we should sell. I just think this whole thing makes a very interesting topic for discussion.

Mane has something that is quite rare in the premier league and that is his unpredictability. Yes, that can work both for and against you but its an attribute that we'd find very difficult to replace now that we've got it.

Mane will never be the most technically gifted player in the world but there is a certain element of uniqueness about him that we shouldn't undervalue.

Still finished 7th.. the ride was fun but materially that's the only thing that changed.

Not all the players had 1 year left on their contract, Chambers, Lovren, Lallana just off the top of my head

And why are we the club that gets destroyed each summer by poachers.. its because we are a soft touch

......or we have good players bigger teams want I can't recall us being forced to sell to anyone outside the top six. We quite easily told spurs to **** of when them came in for Morgan. Also to be fair the amount of money we rinse out of the big boys doesn't really equate with being a soft touch.

The club is absolutely brainless if they have set an asking price of 25mil.

We don't need the money and we won't be able to replace our most effective attacking threat in what little time remains of the transfer window.

If we do sell now I will really question the mentality and ambition of the club.

Mane and Long are incomparable in terms of quality IMO.

Mane is our best attacker by miles and quite possibly our best player.

Last season he won us 2 or 3 games and without him we would probably not have reached Europe.

He would require replacing in less than 10 days with a player of sumilar attributes and quality and its very hard to do that.

We had all summer to teplace Morgan and nearly all of it to replace Toby and that has been hard enough.

Mane would be too far and it seems the club realise that.

According to talk sport Man U tabled a bid last week and haven't had a response from Saints.

Edited by doddisalegend

What form do you see this line in the sand taking? If the players are refused moves to clubs offering big wage increases and Champions League football then they will refuse to sign new contracts and their values will drop as they approach the end of their contract.

Why is it a bad thing to be a "stepping stone" club? What would you propose as an alternative? Les Reed has openly labelled Saints as a "showcase club", in terms of the best up and coming talent across European football Saints would be in a good position to give them a chance to impress in the world's most high profile league.

In reality I don't really mind being a so-called 'stepping stone' club as it's pretty obvious that's what we are. Sign players from lower profile leagues, get a few decent seasons out of them and then get good money for them. I just wish the players would be more open about it as every time we sign someone we get the usual horsesh*t about Saints being a big club, the EPL is the best and most high-profile league, their looking forward to improving, etc. In reality they're here for the money, will play well for a couple of seasons tops and then expect to move to a bigger club and CL football. It's complete bullsh*t but it's now how we're seen.

If this is to happen id want more than £25m, as thats the value id have on him with a year less on his contract. Either £30m, £25m and Januzaj loan or £20m and Januzaj signed (which may sound ridiculous, but this is a **** take bid from United).

Not ideal whatever happens, as we are more than aware he is our best attacking player and it would take longer for our team to gel. The most irritating thing is we only really got the best out of him from December, so that's what we get now.. half a season of a really promising player who isn't at his peak yet. If our better players will leave this quickly we are going to struggle to build a cohesive team again.

Wumming aside I get we are doing well business wise, to sell and rebuild with academy products and well scouted players. But we need our better players to give at least two seasons for this to work in the long run IMO.

If they get to 1 year left, you can end up with a De Gea situation.

We got the money in, bought replacements and had a good season.

If you're going to use what could have happened as the downside, you should use what could have happened as the upside as well.

Any club can lose players if they're good and they want to leave (see De Gea)

Look at what's happened to Villa and Sunderland this summer. Their fans would probably consider their club bigger than Saints.

Our good academy and good recruitment recently is what's making us in particular a target.

We don't need the money and we won't be able to replace our most effective attacking threat in what little time remains of the transfer window.

If we do sell now I will really question the mentality and ambition of the club.

Austin is still very much available for 15 million I could see the club flogging Mane for 25 million and buying Austin for 15 million a being happy about it. On the other hand the Pedro deal fell through because Man U wouldn't meet the 22 million pound release clause so I can't see them splashing 25 million on Mane.

Seriously, whats the f**king point any more ?

12 days of the window left, and we are doing f**k all to fend off big clubs and the media. At the same time we are p*ssing about on making good our defensive losses.

We'll go for 20M+ and replace him for 3M.

Too much complacency at SMS.

Feel really, really low...

Mane has something that is quite rare in the premier league and that is his unpredictability. Yes, that can work both for and against you but its an attribute that we'd find very difficult to replace now that we've got it.

Mane will never be the most technically gifted player in the world but there is a certain element of uniqueness about him that we shouldn't undervalue.

Mané is technically gifted and has been out most consistent attacking player since Xmas. Unlike Tadic he's willing to roll his sleeves and defend from the front, even if it can be a bit undisciplined. And ultimately he's prem-proven (well more so than the likes of pedro, memphis and di maria) - hence the premium.

Austin is still very much available for 15 million I could see the club flogging Mane for 25 million and buying Austin for 15 million a being happy about it. On the other hand the Pedro deal fell through because Man U wouldn't meet the 22 million pound release clause so I can't see them splashing 25 million on Mane.

I think the Pedro deal fell through because of how Utd wanted to pay actually. Anyway at Chelsea he'll be back wherever he came from next season. Chelsea's recruitment policy is just nonsensical, they buy,they try, they ship them out in most cases.

I agree but doubt that they have actually set any fee !

If 10 goal Raheem Sterling was worth £49 million and we don't need to sell then why should we consider half the amount for 10 goal Mane (in his first ever PL season!) ?

Tell them £50 mil or do one !!

12 days of the window left, and we are doing f**k all to fend off big clubs and the media. At the same time we are p*ssing about on making good our defensive losses.

Would you like my last rolo?

Our good academy and good recruitment recently is what's making us in particular a target.

Our Academy brought us in a lot of money which we spent well but we have pretty much profited from our academy prospects now. JWP aside the next one worth anything is Slattery and he is totally unproven.

We were able to use the cash from selling academy players for other decent players which is why we did well last season.

At some point, to stay where we are we will have to spend bigger like some around us are, even more once the last few £20m rated plus players have gone (Mane and Wanyama at a push).

Even if the club are tempted to sell, it's probably the right moment to come out very strongly and say from now on players are only for sale when we want to sell them. The media seem to love taking us apart and it needs to be halted by a strong statement.

We tried that last year.

I'll leave this one for you MLG. Fill your boots :)

Edited by trousers
@

Calm down, by all accounts the latest in the press is that we're not interested in selling. Doesn't mean it won't happen but the club can't really do much to stop the advances and the speculation.

The big 6 will just keep chipping away at our squad now. They will not be happy until it's average at best and not ruffling their feathers any more. It would be refreshing for the player to come out and say he doesn't want to move but that's never going to happen.

Sky Sports News now reporting a comment will be made from the club tonight in regards to the 'bid'

Yeah Man U made a bid last week, Saints ignored it, Man U ****ed up the Pedro deal and then leaked the Mane bid to the press to deflect away from the Pedro **** up.

If Man U wouldn't stump up the 22 million cash for Pedro would they really stump up the 25 million we would be looking for Mane?

Calm down, by all accounts the latest in the press is that we're not interested in selling. Doesn't mean it won't happen but the club can't really do much to stop the advances and the speculation.

We weren't "interested" in selling Lallana, Lovren, Clyne, Walcott, Oxlade, Lambert, Bale either. Not saying we'll definitely sell Mane, but the club saying we're not interested in selling means absolutely nothing.

The club could absolutely quash any speculation in a split second.

Edited by niceandfriendly