United to bid for Mane?

SuperSAINT

In terms of owners wealth!

Rodger - please don't take this personally - It's not aimed at you specifically, but this is reality.

If Katrina was happy to bank roll us for any player and their wages.... We are still not allowed to do it.

Man Utd offered Luke Shaw(Lets guess) 100k a week. Katrina says "stay Luke" we'll pay you £110k. we will even put the total value of that contract into an escrow account. ...... We are still not allowed to do it. The FFP means we simply can't compete.

When we all get ****ty about whose leaving etc, the truth is less than 1% of posters would turn down the opportunity to get the sort of pay rises that Lambert, lallana, lovern, clyne, morgan, chambers etc. received. We can ***** and moan as much as we like, but to a man we would have all done the same.

The FFP, was more about preventing a breakaway super league than it ever was about being "fair".

Rodger - please don't take this personally - It's not aimed at you specifically, but this is reality.

If Katrina was happy to bank roll us for any player and their wages.... We are still not allowed to do it.

Man Utd offered Luke Shaw(Lets guess) 100k a week. Katrina says "stay Luke" we'll pay you £110k. we will even put the total value of that contract into an escrow account. ...... We are still not allowed to do it. The FFP means we simply can't compete.

When we all get ****ty about whose leaving etc, the truth is less than 1% of posters would turn down the opportunity to get the sort of pay rises that Lambert, lallana, lovern, clyne, morgan, chambers etc. received. We can ***** and moan as much as we like, but to a man we would have all done the same.

The FFP, was more about preventing a breakaway super league than it ever was about being "fair".

just look at whats happening with QPR - the FFP rules are bolox

Don't get the meltdown.

No doubt the player will have his head turned - any player that plays for us would have his head turned by the top 4. The fact of the matter is, they pay enough money, he goes. I've pretty much accepted that since last season. Its a lot easier to accept when you do. Really disappointed in Utd leaking this as well - especially on the eve of one of our biggest games of the season. Thought we had a pretty good relationship with them and the way they appeared to deal with Shaw and Morgan was professional. This is more akin to the Liverpool way of doing business and leaves a sour taste.

Not saying its right or wrong but its the way it is. Nobody here would turn down the chance to work for one of the biggest companies in their industry if they were offering 3-4x the money. I can't see us selling for anything less than £25mil - and I can't see Utd paying that. My only worry about it is the possibility of Mane forcing the move. He did something similar in the move to us and had disciplinary problems last year (Koeman dropping him for being late ect). If he did go there, be interesting to see if we could get one of theirs in return. Lindgard (sp) is somebody I've always rated.

For those of us comparing against over teams that have kept their players - there is no difference to us at the moment.

Mane hasn't gone yet.

Stones hasn't gone yet.

Berahino hasn't gone yet (even we can turn down bids from Spurs)

Kane - if one of the top 4 (with the exception of Arsenal) really want him, they'd get him. If Barca, Real or Bayern came calling, and offered stupid money, he'd most likely be off.

Judge the club on Sept 1st respecting transfers. We should learn from last year where the transfer window is concerned.

Oh, and whoever it was who said they felt sorry for the season ticket holders - don't, I didn't buy the ticket to see Mane play. I bought it to see Saints play, whoever that may be.

I wonder how Celtic feel about us being linked with their best players in the summer?

Annoyed I'm sure, but there is a crucial difference: Celtic play in the Scottish Premier League, a completely separate competition unaffected by what we do. Celtic know the standard of their league is lower, so they also know they can win it without Premier League-quality players. They fill their squad with players who can maintain their level and no more, because they don't need them. They don't need to spend big to take the title, and they don't need the best players in the world. If they have a player who can play at a higher standard, they know it makes sense to sell them, because they can use the money to buy a replacement at SPL level. It's the same thing we did when we were going up and down the leagues. We signed players appropriate for the level we were at, and sold those who could play higher up the league. We didn't need the likes of Walcott and Chamberlain at the time they emerged, so we took the money. However, now we are in the same division as Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, and as much as we know it's not true, it's supposed to be the case than any team of the 20 can win the title by playing the best football. It's only in theory of course, but there aren't really meant to be levels within a level.

Annoyed I'm sure, but there is a crucial difference: Celtic play in the Scottish Premier League, a completely separate competition unaffected by what we do. Celtic know the standard of their league is lower, so they also know they can win it without Premier League-quality players. They fill their squad with players who can maintain their level and no more, because they don't need them. They don't need to spend big to take the title, and they don't need the best players in the world. If they have a player who can play at a higher standard, they know it makes sense to sell them, because they can use the money to buy a replacement at SPL level. It's the same thing we did when we were going up and down the leagues. We signed players appropriate for the level we were at, and sold those who could play higher up the league. We didn't need the likes of Walcott and Chamberlain at the time they emerged, so we took the money. However, now we are in the same division as Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc, and as much as we know it's not true, it's supposed to be the case than any team of the 20 can win the title by playing the best football. It's only in theory of course, but there aren't really meant to be levels within a level.

We didn't sell Walcott and Oxo because we didn't need them.

And a creditable draw for your plucky little club against the mighty Crawley as well. Happy days eh?

He's right though, it is a pretty bangin' thread. And so predictable with it. The usual suspects moaning, the usual suspects moaning about the moaning (I'm not moaning about this btw), Batman and his flip-flopping and illiteracy, VFTT's one line aggressive replies and CB Fry swatting people away like flies (just starting to rely to much on old material though, maybe take some time away to come up with some new retorts?).

Don't get the meltdown.

No doubt the player will have his head turned - any player that plays for us would have his head turned by the top 4. The fact of the matter is, they pay enough money, he goes. I've pretty much accepted that since last season. Its a lot easier to accept when you do. Really disappointed in Utd leaking this as well - especially on the eve of one of our biggest games of the season. Thought we had a pretty good relationship with them and the way they appeared to deal with Shaw and Morgan was professional. This is more akin to the Liverpool way of doing business and leaves a sour taste.

Not saying its right or wrong but its the way it is. Nobody here would turn down the chance to work for one of the biggest companies in their industry if they were offering 3-4x the money. I can't see us selling for anything less than £25mil - and I can't see Utd paying that. My only worry about it is the possibility of Mane forcing the move. He did something similar in the move to us and had disciplinary problems last year (Koeman dropping him for being late ect). If he did go there, be interesting to see if we could get one of theirs in return. Lindgard (sp) is somebody I've always rated.

For those of us comparing against over teams that have kept their players - there is no difference to us at the moment.

Mane hasn't gone yet.

Stones hasn't gone yet.

Berahino hasn't gone yet (even we can turn down bids from Spurs)

Kane - if one of the top 4 (with the exception of Arsenal) really want him, they'd get him. If Barca, Real or Bayern came calling, and offered stupid money, he'd most likely be off.

Judge the club on Sept 1st respecting transfers. We should learn from last year where the transfer window is concerned.

Oh, and whoever it was who said they felt sorry for the season ticket holders - don't, I didn't buy the ticket to see Mane play. I bought it to see Saints play, whoever that may be.

Will say though that Everton managed to sign up McCarthy to a long term deal while we lost Clyne on the cheap due to his contract running down.

I do accept your point though. It does also say a lot about our recruitment that our players are being chased by the 'big' clubs and, the hope is, that should more leave our recruitment will be able to have more hits then misses.

He's right though, it is a pretty bangin' thread. And so predictable with it. The usual suspects moaning, the usual suspects moaning about the moaning (I'm not moaning about this btw), Batman and his flip-flopping and illiteracy, VFTT's one line aggressive replies and CB Fry swatting people away like flies (just starting to rely to much on old material though, maybe take some time away to come up with some new retorts?).

I'm enjoying the alpine response though.

Tbf every time we've said that the player was gone a few weeks later

Except that this is not true is it? Last year the club often said that they didn't have to sell....a big difference. With the exception of Morgan last year I don't recall them saying that any of the players were central to our plans and firmly not for sale in the way that they have about Mane and Fonte this season. With Clyne this season Ron said he hoped the Clyne would stay. The Bed Wetting Fraternity have long called for the club to unequivocal in their response if they don't intend to sell and this they have been. Don't know what else they can do?

Agreed, why doesn't she fritter a large chunk of her family's money so we can have a better football team to watch. Life is just so unfair at times.

I agree. Even when we find a rich benefactor we find a cr@p rich benefactor! FFS we are run like a second rate seaside B & B. FFS. She even had the temerity to make it clear that the club would have to be run on a business model that was sustainable. Why or why couldn't we have found an Abramovich? FFS.

Mane is the quickest off the mark when facing a player with the ball at his feet, that I have ever seen at Saints. His pace is very important to us and he will improve as a player this season without doubt. I do not think he will go to Man U or any other of the top 4..yet. However, like them all eventually the Sirens will come calling and he will be under their spell at some stage in the future just as that Greek fella was. By then though we may have another "Mane" in our sights.

On a positive note, at least we are getting all this cash in the bank from the top 4, not another team which puts us in a relatively stronger position moving forward on the basis of our long term and rather shrewd business model.

But then I think, which would I prefer:

- Season after season surviving in the premier league with a cup final every 25 years (although the great escapes were barmy)

Or

- some great nights in the lower leagues, Hartlepool away on a Tuesday night, Brighton away, the terraces again etc with the pain of relegation but the joy of promotion.

I don't want is broke but I'd rather we showed a little risk other wise there is no fun.

We didn't sell Walcott and Oxo because we didn't need them.

I know we needed the money, but we also didn't particularly need them for the level we were playing at at the time. Both were clearly capable of better things, Chamberlain especially as we were down in League One. It would have made sense to sell him even if we weren't on the brink of bankruptcy. Anyway the point I was making was that a club only needs players good enough for whichever league they compete in. Suppose, for the sake of argument, Portsmouth could afford to buy Mane. They still wouldn't, because to get out of League Two they don't need someone of such ability. It's why I really don't understand why Rangers were paying such high wages when they were down in the Scottish Fourth Division. They were using a squad about two levels higher than was necessary. Very strange. Fortunately it's something Cortese got right when we were rebuilding: signing for the level, or one above, but no higher. Then sell and replace.

Will say though that Everton managed to sign up McCarthy to a long term deal while we lost Clyne on the cheap due to his contract running down.

I do accept your point though. It does also say a lot about our recruitment that our players are being chased by the 'big' clubs and, the hope is, that should more leave our recruitment will be able to have more hits then misses.

Among all the press reports yesterday I saw mention that both Arsenal and Man u had been scouting Mane when he was at his previous club but neither decided to bid for him so he came to us. 12months down the line Man U want to by him off us for what will be, no doubt, far more money than if the had just taken a punt 12 months ago.

On a positive note, at least we are getting all this cash in the bank from the top 4, not another team which puts us in a relatively stronger position moving forward on the basis of our long term and rather shrewd business model.

But then I think, which would I prefer:

- Season after season surviving in the premier league with a cup final every 25 years (although the great escapes were barmy)

Or

- some great nights in the lower leagues, Hartlepool away on a Tuesday night, Brighton away, the terraces again etc with the pain of relegation but the joy of promotion.

I don't want is broke but I'd rather we showed a little risk other wise there is no fun.

That's the thing though every time we achieve the next mile stone it becomes even harder to push on. The best thing about league 1 was you could see goals the club could aim for that were achievable with our resources now it's pretty hard to see what else we can realistically push for....... some cup finals would be nice.

Nah, it's too obvious. Fry has shown himself to be quite eloquent, he can do better.

The Cyber Bully Fry who hides behind his computer screen?

The poor coward probably suffers with a button co.ck mushroom too.

Edited by Pilchards

That's the thing though every time we achieve the next mile stone it becomes even harder to push on. The best thing about league 1 was you could see goals the club could aim for that were achievable with our resources now it's pretty hard to see what else we can realistically push for....... some cup finals would be nice.

A decent reply in this melee of childish abuse, thank you.

I guess it comes down to the levels of risk and to be fair no one else has succeeded in high risk strategies, thinking Leeds, Tottenham, Pompey etc

As ****ed as I am with another summer of disruption, as above, at least all this money flooding in to the club is lining our pockets....the club should be sustainable for future generations but it's all so sterile....with out an element of fun you can have all the money in the world!

Among all the press reports yesterday I saw mention that both Arsenal and Man u had been scouting Mane when he was at his previous club but neither decided to bid for him so he came to us. 12months down the line Man U want to by him off us for what will be, no doubt, far more money than if the had just taken a punt 12 months ago.

It's letting somebody else take the risk.

Rather than spend £12m on an untried player who might not make the grade in the Premier League they are happier to pay double that for a player who has had a season priming and proving himself in the league.

It's not a good business model, and it's lazy in as much as it's letting somebody else develop the player and take all the associated risks.

If Mane had been a busted flush, we would have wasted £12m, which is a lot of money to us. United wouldn't be wasting £24m, thanks to us.

But they can afford to do that.

At what point to the Top 4/5 clubs get full and have no more room for the rest of our team?? It can't keep on happening, can it?

How many of our players have the top 2 clubs actually taken so far? Who was the last player transferred from Saints to Man City or Chelsea. I guess Chelsea was Wayne Bridge. Man City - Graham Baker? Who have I forgotten?

Its really only the teams chasing the CL spots that have bought our players in bulk, Liverpool and now Man U, even Arsenal have only bought one every 2 or 3 years over the last few years. Spuds - Bale? I think theres plenty of scope for more :-)

A decent reply in this melee of childish abuse, thank you.

I guess it comes down to the levels of risk and to be fair no one else has succeeded in high risk strategies, thinking Leeds, Tottenham, Pompey etc

As ****ed as I am with another summer of disruption, as above, at least all this money flooding in to the club is lining our pockets....the club should be sustainable for future generations but it's all so sterile....with out an element of fun you can have all the money in the world!

But there is an element of fun. Personally I take some quiet enjoyment in hearing all the doom and gloom peddled in the media about how our team is being ripped apart by the glory teams and that our chances of success are then going to be impeded to the extent that we will be at risk of relegation.

There is then some satisfaction to be gained when we replace those players with cheaper gems that we unearth, who will then become the next batch to be poached by the glory teams, who seem incapable of finding and developing the players themselves. Provided that we can keep on doing that, the anticipation of seeing what we can come up with has some excitement to it.

Good shout. Was going to say Neil Heaney

Good memories. Heaney did join them when they were in the Championship (or whatever the second level was called then). Mills made 2 appearances. Baker and Channon are more my era, and I remember both going to Citeh and returning afterwards.

Good memories. Heaney did join them when they were in the Championship (or whatever the second level was called then). Mills made 2 appearances. Baker and Channon are more my era, and I remember both going to Citeh and returning afterwards.

Phil Boyer also went to Man City from our era as well.

It's letting somebody else take the risk.

Rather than spend £12m on an untried player who might not make the grade in the Premier League they are happier to pay double that for a player who has had a season priming and proving himself in the league.

It's not a good business model, and it's lazy in as much as it's letting somebody else develop the player and take all the associated risks.

If Mane had been a busted flush, we would have wasted £12m, which is a lot of money to us. United wouldn't be wasting £24m, thanks to us.

But they can afford to do that.

Good post, fine explanation. The wealthier clubs can afford this approach.

Reacted rather angrily to this, don't you dare sell him Saints.

If Everton can do it so can we. Stick a £40m price on his head and that's it.

Difference is Saints are a selling club, if the board receive a bid they feel is acceptable then we will sell.

Um so are Everton so there is no difference?