United to bid for Mane?

SuperSAINT

personally, I'd be more concerned about Townsend coming here..:scared: than I would Mane leaving for £50 million ! AT is really over-rated and he'd be gone in a year.

My memory is long enough to remember how we were sc*ewed by Spu*s over the Chivers / Saul deal in '67 .....and this one smells the same.

Shearer for Dixon and Speedie?

My take on Mane is that his brilliant, quite unique skills would take a lot of replacing, even if some Club like Man U coughed up 40k plus pounds. I see his role and value at Saints equal to that of Suarez when at Liverpool and even Bale when at Spurs. I can't think of an attacking player in the Prem I'd swap him for......Hazard, Stirling, Martial, Aguero, Benteke, Vardy, Kane? No thanks. I know he will go eventually, but I'd like the Club to dig in and keep him for as long as possible, including an extension of contract, because when he goes, even for big money, it will leave a big gap in our style and efficiency.

My take on Mane is that his brilliant, quite unique skills would take a lot of replacing, even if some Club like Man U coughed up 40k plus pounds. I see his role and value at Saints equal to that of Suarez when at Liverpool and even Bale when at Spurs. I can't think of an attacking player in the Prem I'd swap him for......Hazard, Stirling, Martial, Aguero, Benteke, Vardy, Kane? No thanks. I know he will go eventually, but I'd like the Club to dig in and keep him for as long as possible, including an extension of contract, because when he goes, even for big money, it will leave a big gap in our style and efficiency.

I doubt we'd let him leave unless we had a replacement lined up. That said, I'd be gutted if he did go this season.

I don't think Mane is a proper winger and is much more effective playing centrally or just behind a front man. I think LVG seems to play a fairly strict positional system at Utd and anyone who goes there as a winger will need to be a natural wide man. Mahrez would be more effective for them, or dare I say, Tadic.

1) United will need to offer a lot more than £40k.

2) Are you mental?

3) Fans have a habit of over-emphasising the importance of players. A few months ago, Alderweireld was totally irreplaceable and the world as we knew was coming to an end when he signed for Spurs instead of us. As it happened, there turned out to be other centre backs on the planet who are also quite good. Weird. Who had heard of Mane before we signed him? Football exists outside of this league and country.

United also linked with Mahrez and Perez at Newcastle. It's pretty clear they need creativity, but in my opinion selling Mane to them for less than £50 million would be stupid.

He is not a £50m player. He is good but not that good.

To be a £50m player he would need to be as good as he is, 19 years old and English. As he is, I reckon we'll get £30m or so.

To be a £50m player he would need to be as good as he is, 19 years old and English. As he is, I reckon we'll get £30m or so.

But if that is true there is no point in selling him in January. The 30 million will still be there next summer.

It amazes me how saints fans get so excited and love speculating about players potentially leaving the club. Weird.

It's not weird it's just because most saints fans have now come to terms with our position in the world of football after the last two summers.

Any player in the red and white that looks even half decent will be off so the only thing that helps us get over the pain is seeing then go for loads of cash.

Shearer for Dixon and Speedie?

Oh ! :scared: thankfully ...I'd almost forgotten than one......I think their combined efforts cost Saints about £100K per game* , and half of the Shearer fee.......

(* and that was based on 1992 prices) almost another 25 years on, and it happened again with Gaston and Osvaldo.......

Edited by david in sweden

I agree with that, but it's a seller's market, and if MU are desperate enough ....they'll pay....and it won't even be a club record fee for them either......

Those saying he isn't worth £50m, you're right. But that isn't really the point. Utds bidding for Martial was made public by Monaco's chairman. It went up from £20m to £55m (inc add ons) in about 48 hours. They are becoming the new Liverpool. £40m minimum please Louis.

What was Martial £36-38m up front basic, plus the add ons to go to £55m?? I think that I saw somewhere someone (official) saying if Martial was that price, then Mané would be in the same league.

What was Martial £36-38m up front basic, plus the add ons to go to £55m?? I think that I saw somewhere someone (official) saying if Martial was that price, then Mané would be in the same league.

what good will that do. We as fans wont see that money, the club wont reduce the ticket prices or expand the stadium. we will buy in a replacement for around £8m-£12m and hope they are as good.

I hope we just say no.

what good will that do. We as fans wont see that money, the club wont reduce the ticket prices or expand the stadium. we will buy in a replacement for around £8m-£12m and hope they are as good.

I hope we just say no.

Apart from pretty much every player in our team you mean?

Pelle, Fonte, K Davis and S Davis will all need replacing in the next couple of years, as well as Mané. TV money will provide some of that but a large amount of what we've sold in the past has been reinvested. The money from Morgan and Clyne went on Romeu, Virgil, Clasie, Cedric, Martina, Caulker, Stek and Juanmi.

I hope we just say no.

yeah but then in all likely hood we will bring in another player (or two) in another position(s) to so the squad will be strengthened by that money.

I hope we just say no.

We've done remarkably well with the policy of spending £8-£12m and hoping haven't we Brett. Pelle, Tadic, Van Dijk, Bertrand, Mane, Claise, it's almost like there is a bit more to it than that.

Isn't that the point? If you buy something that isn't for sale you overpay. This isn't about finding a fair sensible price for Man Utd or saying Mane is worth 50m, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't pay it. Was De Bruyne worth 55m? BEFORE he'd done anything for Man City? He'd had a failed spell at Chelsea and a decent season in the German League. That's an insane price for that situation too. 32m for Martial was insane. People were quick to say he's proven his value because he scored a handful of goals quickly, but he just looks like a reasonably good raw striker at the moment.

So yes, a young quality attacker who is improving and has a couple of very good Premier League seasons under their belt? Why wouldn't they go for a ridiculous price?

I agree Adrian. If Man Utd want Mane, it's to improve what they already have, so why wouldn't he go for an absolute fortune? Especially when the new TV revenue kicks in.

You touched on it with Martial (and I believe the total cost is after add-on's is £50m+)

All of United's forwards cost an absolute fortune:

- Rooney was £27m (over 10 years ago!)

- Mata was £37m

- Fellaini was £27m

- Depay was £30m

Isn't that the point? If you buy something that isn't for sale you overpay. This isn't about finding a fair sensible price for Man Utd or saying Mane is worth 50m, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't pay it. Was De Bruyne worth 55m? BEFORE he'd done anything for Man City? He'd had a failed spell at Chelsea and a decent season in the German League. That's an insane price for that situation too. 32m for Martial was insane. People were quick to say he's proven his value because he scored a handful of goals quickly, but he just looks like a reasonably good raw striker at the moment.

So yes, a young quality attacker who is improving and has a couple of very good Premier League seasons under their belt? Why wouldn't they go for a ridiculous price?

Hardly anyone is 'for sale' but everyone has their price. I think £30m is a reasonable enough price for Mané, who will by then have 2 years left on his contract. The club wont want to let him get to the final year of his deal and end up like Clyne.

• 3 weeks later...
Telegraph Football ‏@TeleFootball

Manchester United face competition from Bayern Munich for Southampton forward Sadio Mane

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/12031917/Manchester-United-face-competition-from-Bayern-Munich-for-Southampton-forward-Sadio-Mane.html

He scored a hattrick for Salzburg against Bayern in a friendly before he joined Saints. Remember watching the You Tube highlights when we were linked with him and thinking he looked class.

Sounds like we are in quite a strong position with him in that if he does go it will be club record fee.

I would expect the club to have a replacement lined up for a rough fee before selling.

As was the case when selling Clyne, Shaw, Morgan...

Not in January they don't.

I could be wrong but Saints have never bought anyone over the value of 5 million in January.

Wilson is a respected journalist and a Saints fan so he is probably not far from the mark. Whenever Mane goes this transfer talk is not helpful to him or us right now at a time we don't need distractions. A replacement should if possible be bought in January, if Koemans recent buys are anything to go by he will need 6 months bedding in time!