United to bid for Mane?

SuperSAINT

Not in January they don't.

I could be wrong but Saints have never bought anyone over the value of 5 million in January.

I was thinking this yesterday, we rarely buy in January.

Does anybody have any sort of list of those we've bought in the Jan window in the last few seasons?

I'm thinking Forren? Fonte? possibly Jonno Quick? Am I missing anybody obvious?

TBF we don't sell many either.

Wilson says that Man Utd did bid for Mane in the summer but also ever other somewhat credible journalist said that it was just a leak to deflect from missing out on Pedro.

Maybe I am reading too much into it here but if Wilson has been briefed by Saints it feels like they are positioning him for a move. As inevitable as a move may be (especially given some of the other turd we're buying for the squad) I'd rather Saints play the game a bit more and issue hands off warnings.

Koeman said no one goes in Jan but next summer even the most blinkered fan must realise that Mane is off. 40 million would be a hell of a return on the 11 million we paid for him though.

Really looking forward to seeing us get some good quality positive net spend with that.

Really looking forward to seeing us get some good quality positive net spend with that.

it is what is. By now all saints fans should know how things work I'm beyond getting upset about it anymore. Hopefully most of the money will go back into the team Charlie Austin would be a good start for me.

Edited by doddisalegend

It was it is by now all saints fans should know how things work I'm beyond getting upset about it anymore. Hopefully most of the money will go back into the team Charlie Austin would be a good start for me.

It will of course be reinvested into the team but how we do it is restrictive. If we are to continue to fund both transfer fees AND wages from the transfer fees we receive for players then I want to know what happens to the spare wages we free up from this system. If it is a FFP thing then fair enough but this summer with the expected increase in commercial revenue coupled with the guaranteed TV revenue increase it's time to start spending more (including wages) because our competitors are and they are clearly catching us up.

There was a representative for Porto at the liverpool game. Not saying he was looking at Mane. Could have been someone looking at players from either team or just a journo.

He's out of Porto's league financially if we're honest. They're pretty much the Portuguese version of us, buy young players (mainly from south america) make them names and then sell them for huge fee's (Falcao, Rodriguez, Hulk to name a few). But they're able to retain competitiveness at the top because they don't have City's, Utd's, Arsenals and Chelsea's to deal with.

He's out of Porto's league financially if we're honest. They're pretty much the Portuguese version of us, buy young players (mainly from south america) make them names and then sell them for huge fee's (Falcao, Rodriguez, Hulk to name a few). But they're able to retain competitiveness at the top because they don't have City's, Utd's, Arsenals and Chelsea's to deal with.

And they also have third parties buying players for them!

Southampton FC ‏@SouthamptonFC 1m1 minute ago

Koeman says nobody will be leaving #SaintsFC in January – not even if offered £100million.

If he did say that, he didn't mean it! If someone offered £30 million for anyone in the squad, he should take it.

If he did say that, he didn't mean it! If someone offered £30 million for anyone in the squad, he should take it.

Sadio Mane is worth more than £30m in the current market. Are Martial for a fee rising to £58m or Sterling at £49m really significantly more effective than Mane? When the new TV kicks in prices will be further inflated next summer. There would be little incentive to selling Mane in January, let alone only for £30m. He'll probably be sold in the summer for huge money.

it is what is. By now all saints fans should know how things work I'm beyond getting upset about it anymore. Hopefully most of the money will go back into the team Charlie Austin would be a good start for me.
yep Austin is as pacy as the rest of the team and fit right in:)

Pace is important throughout the whole team, that is why Mane is such a standout player. I believe he will be gone in the summer although the other night I came to the conclusion that it may well before that

I really wouldn't mind if we would sell our players to foreign leagues, to big clubs like Bayern Munchen. It could give us more options in the transfer market so that we wouldn't have to dread for the eventual sale to Liverpool/Spurs/United and again make it double as hard for us to get European spots, if that really is the next goal for our club.

Also a Stoke-Barcelona type of relationship would be amazing, no doubt there's some great youth products in larger European clubs who just aren't quite ready enough to make it to first team, but could make a huge impact for a club like ours.

yep Austin is as pacy as the rest of the team and fit right in:)

Pace is important throughout the whole team, that is why Mane is such a standout player. I believe he will be gone in the summer although the other night I came to the conclusion that it may well before that

TBH pace or not Austin banged in 18 PL goals in a shockingly bad team last season making him the 4th highest scorer in the league he would certainly give us an option when Pelle isn't firing. Also at a reported £8 million quid we would still have plenty of cash left from £40 million for selling Mane to buy a couple of speedsters as well.

Don't mind people leaving, there's nothing you can do these days, you end up with unhappy players and the big clubs get their man eventually anyway. And no delldays, everton aren't comparable, they're a bigger club and still won't hold onto the best long term anyway.

Pretty futile really but we have to keep going and reinvest. Just be nice to see a proper amount spent, not profits each year. Fine to see a well run club, but ultimately it's pointless if that's all we're focused on forever.

Media will jump on it more and more each summer too, and no doubt Koeman won't be happy about it. Wanyama is off clearly, Mane probably too. Beyond that no-one has earned a move anywhere better except potentially van Dijk which would be really annoying after 1 season.

If we lost Wanyama and Mane for say £55m combined, it would be nice to see a proper spending spree of £75m. And not many players, just 3 or 4 quality signings. I still think that's the most you can sign and hope for any continuity or success.

Flipping heck Adrian, that's 2 posts in as many days I've totally agreed with, what's going on with the world...

it's inevitable get shot and get the most money you can, bring in Charlie austin, right back cover and a decent holding mid. any spare cash left over rince it on some more cheap carlos kick a ball in a hope of finding the next Mane. Job done......

Next summer will be the transfer window that will do us most damage.

We got away with the last two,although we appear to be a lot weaker after the last one.

I fear our pinnacle has been reached....

And the reason I say next summer will be the most damaging......it won't be just playing staff that will abandon ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got away with the last two,although we appear to be a lot weaker after the last one.

And the reason I say next summer will be the most damaging......it won't be just playing staff that will abandon ship.

I suspect that too. Despite the respect that we have in the footballing world I feel that we have been getting weaker.

Reported that Leicester are going to offer Vardy a new contract worth 90k a week.

We'll just carry on with a transfer policy that we will ultimately catch a cold with. We seem to be nothing more than a rich man's Crewe Alexandra.

TBH do you think any of the big boys are really interested in Vardy? I doubt anyone would pay what Leicester would want because I think he is probably having the best form of his career right now (which has been outstanding) but he will drop off at some point back to the level of an OK PL player at some point. I think Leicester's big problem will be holding onto Marhez rather than Vardy.

Agree, Koeman didnt come here to stay for ever and will not sit there and see his reputation shot. At the end of last season he was seen as some kind of superhero in how he turned a completely depleted squad into a seemingly better side. Now?

He showed his frustration the other day about spending, and i cant see the powers to be all of a sudden start spending more than we take in. We are a business model not a football club with true ambition.

I agree with financial prudence but it seems to me that we (fans) are looked on as mugs. We were going to spend every penny taken in 2 seasons ago, RK himself has stated that hasnt happened.

'In Les we trust' 'Lets go Wilde' god, some are easily led.

Agree, Koeman didnt come here to stay for ever and will not sit there and see his reputation shot. At the end of last season he was seen as some kind of superhero in how he turned a completely depleted squad into a seemingly better side. Now?

He showed his frustration the other day about spending, and i cant see the powers to be all of a sudden start spending more than we take in. We are a business model not a football club with true ambition.

I agree with financial prudence but it seems to me that we (fans) are looked on as mugs. We were going to spend every penny taken in 2 seasons ago, RK himself has stated that hasnt happened.

Surely we need to see how this season pans out first before writing the club off. Granted we are going through a bad patch which no one is enjoying. However we are only 3pts of 6th place with someway to go this season despite not being at our best. I guess it all comes down to expectations.

TBH do you think any of the big boys are really interested in Vardy? I doubt anyone would pay what Leicester would want because I think he is probably having the best form of his career right now (which has been outstanding) but he will drop off at some point back to the level of an OK PL player at some point. I think Leicester's big problem will be holding onto Marhez rather than Vardy.

Do you think the offer of a big contract will make it more likely that Vardy will stay?

Exactly this. If we steamed in an offered Vardy five years at £90k (plus £15m) I'd think we were lunatics.

The new TV deal really means the differences between us and Leicester and the Villas and Newcastles is much smaller. The top six won't want Vardy and the top 10 are unlikely to want to spend that much on him.

Is it not possible to run the club on a proper business model and still have ambition??

The real point for me is that we've now got a few clubs of similar size to us (Palace, Stoke, Leicester) who appear to be prepared to pay much bigger wages. The Palace chairman confirmed recently that their wage bill has gone from 53 million up to 70 million this season, Leicester are prepared to offer 90k a week wages and Stoke are paying Shaqiri a fortune as well. I don't see them complaining about FFP restrictions like we do...

Do you think the offer of a big contract will make it more likely that Vardy will stay?

Well I'm sure Vardy will enjoy a new contract but I don't think Leicester have much to worry about because the big clubs won't want him. If (big if) one of the top six did come in for him I'm pretty sure he (and his agent) would push for the move new contract or not.

We have had the same arguments going back decades though, spend more on players and more on players wages. Is there one player who has left in the last two seasons who we could possibly match their new pay packet or CL aspirations? How many players who we have been after have chosen Palace, Newcastle or Stoke over us?

This is more than form, he's showing class and qualities that every team want in their frontline. It's not like he's a fox in the box who's been lucky to stick a few goals away over 11 games, he's earned them all through clever movement, pace and deadly finishing. In fact, in many ways he's what we want Mane to be.

He won't keep scoring every week, obviously, but he won't lose those abilities. He'd be an expensive gamble in January but if he maintains a high level for the rest of the season the big clubs will be competing to sign him. That's why they appear to be 'interested' at the moment, making enquiries and keeping an eye on things, rather than leaking stories to the tabloids about 'sensational swoops'.

I'm a bit baffled that people are talking about £30-40m for Mane. If he fulfils his potential we might get a figure towards the lower end of that scale, but he hasn't been playing nearly well enough to justify that so far.

Edited by DuncanRG

Well I'm sure Vardy will enjoy a new contract but I don't think Leicester have much to worry about because the big clubs won't want him. If (big if) one of the top six did come in for him I'm pretty sure he (and his agent) would push for the move new contract or not.

Why would you think top clubs wouldn't want Vardy, but would want Wanyama or Mane?

Why would you think top clubs wouldn't want Vardy, but would want Wanyama or Mane?

Age/resale value to begin with. He's 29 next month and heavily reliant on pace.

Back in the day, Vardy would have ended up with a side like Villa or Sunderland.

Mostly because I think he is player on form (fantastic form granted) rather than a genuine quality player. He has never shown anything like this kind of form before and he isn't getting any younger. He is good enough for a mid table PL side but not really a player for the big boys. Which is why I think Leicester will find it easy to hold on to him. Mid table PL sides don't really sell players to each other much these days and no mid table side is going to pay the big fee Leicester would want. The really quality player in Leicester's team is Marhez and I reckon they will struggle to hold on to him.

Mostly because I think he is player on form (fantastic form granted) rather than a genuine quality player. He has never shown anything like this kind of form before and he isn't getting any younger. He is good enough for a mid table PL side but not really a player for the big boys. Which is why I think Leicester will find it easy to hold on to him. Mid table PL sides don't really sell players to each other much these days and no mid table side is going to pay the big fee Leicester would want. The really quality player in Leicester's team is Marhez and I reckon they will struggle to hold on to him.

When's Mahrez shown this form before?

You'd think Southampton fans of all people, who spent five years worshipping Rickie Lambert, would know the difference between a late bloomer and a flash in the pan.

At his age and the English premium, I think clubs would want to see more than a season of form out of him before stumping up big money.

In an ideal world they probably would, but it's also a risk to sit back and hope all your rivals do the same. I think that's partly why Man Utd lobbed so much money at Martial, and he didn't have a quarter of the visibility Vardy has.

Edited by DuncanRG

Regardless of whether or not you think a top club would sign Vardy, my main point is that Leicester seem to be trying a lot harder than us in keeping their best players.

Our business model of selling 1 or 2 of our best players and replacing them with cheaper ones, to be fair, has worked ok up until now, but long term will fail, in my humble opinion.

The real point for me is that we've now got a few clubs of similar size to us (Palace, Stoke, Leicester) who appear to be prepared to pay much bigger wages. The Palace chairman confirmed recently that their wage bill has gone from 53 million up to 70 million this season, Leicester are prepared to offer 90k a week wages and Stoke are paying Shaqiri a fortune as well. I don't see them complaining about FFP restrictions like we do...

I would think our wage bill is about £70m this season too.

I'm delighted we are not signing the likes of Shaquiri who virtually had to be drugged like Mr T to get on a plane to Stoke.

Regardless of whether or not you think a top club would sign Vardy, my main point is that Leicester seem to be trying a lot harder than us in keeping their best players.

Our business model of selling 1 or 2 of our best players and replacing them with cheaper ones, to be fair, has worked ok up until now, but long term will fail, in my humble opinion.

You can come to that conclusion once he's signed a new contract, before that it's silly even debating it. We've done very much the same in offering Morgan, Clyne, Mane new terms etc.

The reality is the same with us. If a Utd, City, Chelsea come in for him, he will leave Leicester city.

You can come to that conclusion once he's signed a new contract, before that it's silly even debating it. We've done very much the same in offering Morgan, Clyne, Mane new terms etc.

The reality is the same with us. If a Utd, City, Chelsea come in for him, he will leave Leicester city.

Yes of course, you're right. Just like when Baines, Coleman and Barkley left Everton.

I would think our wage bill is about £70m this season too.

I'm delighted we are not signing the likes of Shaquiri who virtually had to be drugged like Mr T to get on a plane to Stoke.

lol, good one.

I think though it is not a case of buying but the frustration is keeping what we have already, tried and tested.

Since the departure of the 'evil villain' of the peace NC we have made it plain as a club we will sell. Now i know you like to find the Everton situation comical when brought up,but they at least showed the ambition to hold on to their best. I know they eventually sold some of their best but they just seem to try that little bit harder than us.

I think the other thing that irks me is that i was delighted to have that wonderful Englishness to the squad, now we wear clogs not boots

• 4 weeks later...
Sam Cunningham ‏@samcunningham

Koeman also says he'd already had a word with Mane when he felt he wasn't fully focussed in a training session on Thursday. #saintsfc

Really hope this, coupled with the lateness for the meeting isn't due to the damn window being open.

BBC Solent Sport ‏@solentsport 3m3 minutes ago

#saintsfc boss @RonaldKoeman on Mane: "Sometimes when there is traffic around the training centre there is a difference... [1/3]

BBC Solent Sport ‏@solentsport 4m4 minutes ago

RK: "They'll pay a fine but so close to the game, you expect from each player to be focused for your club, your fans, your team mates. [2/3]

BBC Solent Sport ‏@solentsport 3m3 minutes ago

RK: "If you don't have this then there is no place at Southampton." [3/3] #saintsfc

Sounds like we have yet another brat on our hands.