A wasted Summer?

Edmonton Saint

So you're *****ing and moaning without substance. God I hate these forums.

You said "We really should expect to have signed proven quality for these positions, especially with the money we've made recently."

Suggesting that you think the club did a bad job and you could do better. If you can't do better with a suggestion, then why made such a stupid statement? Do you think the club went "oh we know, let's sign this guy who isn't the best we can get, he'll have a sh*t future and be terrible, we should buy him and ignore someone better"?

FFS.

You have missed the point.

If you said to Les Reed in July when he signed that we would be dropping Cedric for Yoshida because the Manager saw Maya as "the best option" he would have laughed at you. They bought him with the idea he would be good enough to play.

Clearly its not going to have been in their plan for that to be the case.

Cedric is obviously decent but the Manager doesnt fully trust him or think he is physically up to it (has been subbed after 70mins when he has started).

As a replacement for the England right back that has not been an ideal start, especially with the first choice LB injured too.

Fans thought Cedric would play 90mins every week and surely thats the idea the club would have had when thinking about a Clyne replacement.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Well there is that :)

I think it's just a case of frustration from some that we knew Clyne was most likely going to be leaving and our efforts at replacing him seem a little underwhelming right now.

I know, but it's just that some people think that the club deliberately didn't sign the best player they thought. They signed Cedric, who many people on here thought was an exciting signing. The manager and team are obviously less convinced now, but hindsight is wonderful, that doesn't mean they didn't sign the best that they could/thought.

I simply asked who else people would have signed and have had no suggestions - I'll make one, Trippier. But funny that he ended up at Spurs early in the window, a player they didn't really need ...

Yoshida was picked today because he is about a foot taller than Soares, I thought that much was obvious. All these, "what's the point in signing him if he can't get in the team ahead of Yoshi," comments are just daft.

Soares is still raw. He has the tallent and can deliver a decent ball but he isn't there yet. Koeman clearly thought that for today's game, the defensive presence of Yoshi would be needed. He was probably gambling on Felaini playing some part and needing a decent head at set pieces. It wasn't an unreasonable choice to make. Aside from one terrible mistake (as per Fonte last year so... drop Fonte too?) I actually thought he did alright today.

Stek - Can't see what he has done wrong.

Clasie - Can't make any judgement yet

Romeu - By and large has been one of our better players

Juanmi - Still young. Will probably feature more in cup games.

Martina - Obviously another body for the Europa League.

I don't think our signings have been that bad. Nothing spectacular but then Osvaldo and Ramirez were spectacular so...

Yoshida was picked today because he is about a foot taller than Soares, I thought that much was obvious. All these, "what's the point in signing him if he can't get in the team ahead of Yoshi," comments are just daft.

Soares is still raw. He has the tallent and can deliver a decent ball but he isn't there yet. Koeman clearly thought that for today's game, the defensive presence of Yoshi would be needed. He was probably gambling on Felaini playing some part and needing a decent head at set pieces. It wasn't an unreasonable choice to make. Aside from one terrible mistake (as per Fonte last year so... drop Fonte too?) I actually thought he did alright today.

I don't think our signings have been that bad. Nothing spectacular but then Osvaldo and Ramirez were spectacular so...

:nod:

Haha. Then in the summer you say the time to judge is at the end of the transfer window. Circular argument.

Football fans will naturally be continuously judging and its definitely a concern we sign a RB who the Manager doesn't trust to defend and a backup RB who is just awful.

Today we had our first and second choice RB fit and chose instead to play a backup central defender there.

I don't need to wait til next summer to know Martina is crap and that we havent improved a single position in the starting XI from last year.

Perhaps you need to phone TalkSport and tell them this?

Name "proven quality" we could have signed to replace Morgan and Clyne? One of the best DMs and the best RB in this league. Who else would you have signed?

He is right on the face of it. Sell £28m+ of right back and replace them with someone the manager doesn't even trust for big games. That's not right.

We buy a right back that our manager doesn't think is good enough for big games? That's a big problem.

I did. You obviously weren't listening to the Press Pass with Des Kelly after the game.

Alvin Martin said on talkSPORT Matchday Live that he has heard via Mickey Gray that Koeman is relaxed about our form and thinks it will turn.

I bet Strongarms is shaking in his hi tops.

I hope not, as this is what led us to relegation last time. The only difference this time is that we have a manager that should see us clear of relegation. The season is so far going as I predicted, a fight to stay up.
Well to be fair, you predicted the season before as a fight to stay up and the season before that one, as well.

who knows, maybe this time you will be right.

A foot taller? No it isn't obvious pal. You're confusing today with the Europa League games, two other big games Cedric wasn't trusted for. No today was about Depay's pace and the RB in one-on-ones. So a RB isn't trusted against physical players; he isn't trusted against pacy, tricky players. Kind of wonder what he can be trusted for :lol:

Edited by shurlock

So we signed Soares who is now dropped for Yoshida at RB, Martina who is a joke footballer, Juanmi who can't get a game, Clasie who hasn't kicked a ball in anger yet in the premier league, ( but looked like a fish out of water against Vitesse) , Van Dijk who looked like awesome last week against West Brom, but league 1 standard today. Stekelenburg really hasn't done much, and Romeu who seems to be out of favour a bit as he was dropped last week and taken off today. Seem to have wasted a lot of money on very average players which seems to point at a difficult season to come.

The famed black box seems to have developed a virus, and perhaps it needs a full reboot to get it up functioning again.

All fair points. I wonder if sometimes our club believes its own hype. The team has a reputation for finding undeveloped talent, so maybe when they find someone they think "We're good at finding good players, we found this guy, so this guy must be good."

Thought the same too. That's why I was surprised to see JWP pulled off, as he was closing players down putting himself about a bit by comparison.

Must be were people sit because Mane and Tadic were working hard and looking our most dangerous players from were I was watching.I couldn't believe JWP wasn't pulled off earlier. Rather have Davis on the pitch than JWP.

The summer has not been wasted but it was a rather limp trudge back to heading back where every team who finished above us last season wants us to go - mid-table.

The quality of the team has been diluted in favour of a slightly larger squad. The same issues we had with the balance of the squad last season haven't been addressed.

We're still in great shape as a football club, but another summer next year like the one we've just had and that'll be the job finished and the team back to what we all knew pre Premier League relegation - the odd good player, the odd good result, but by and large just a very average team.

We will be fine. I'm not going to judge how we will do some early in the season.

First target is points safety. As long as we are better than three other teams in the league why worry?

Certainly not going to be writing off any players just yet.

7th to declaring ourselves ok from relegation is a helluva fall from grace. Just because we avoid relegation I don't think that should prevent fans wondering what has gone on. A team that could, when all fit, field 8 £10m+ players should be very good.

We will be fine. I'm not going to judge how we will do some early in the season.

First target is points safety. As long as we are better than three other teams in the league why worry?

Certainly not going to be writing off any players just yet.

So you're content finishing 17th then is what you're saying

7th to declaring ourselves ok from relegation is a helluva fall from grace. Just because we avoid relegation I don't think that should prevent fans wondering what has gone on. A team that could' date=' when all fit, field 8 £10m+ players should be very good.[/quote']

These days can't most PL teams field a good number of 10 million pound players?

The truth is outside the big six every other club ( regardless of their PR) is just looking to stay on the PL gravy train.

The club admitted last season they budgeted for 10th some seasons we will do better some worse. Last season was a bit of a perfect storm for us no way where we going to pull it off season after season.

The truth is outside the big six every other club ( regardless of their PR) is just looking to stay on the PL gravy train.

The club admitted last season they budgeted for 10th some seasons we will do better some worse. Last season was a bit of a perfect storm for us no way where we going to pull it off season after season.

I think most teams have some £10m+ players, but not many outside those who finished above us last season have as many as we do. Off the top of my head (therefore would need validating):

Swansea - 1

West Ham - 3

Leicester - 1

Everton - 1

Crystal Palace - 0

Norwich - 0

Aston Villa - 2

Stoke - 2

Newcastle - 4

Sunderland - 4

West Brom - 1

Some of those may be wrong, but I think regardless none have as many as we do. Many have kept their best players too so number of £10m players isn't an indication of how good you are (and wages come into it too), but it should give an indication of how could you maybe could expect to be. We have spent a lot of money.

I don't think its an unreasonable expectation, based on our resources, to be a top 10 side and do better than the likes of Watford and Bournemouth.

I don't think its an unreasonable expectation, based on our resources, to be a top 10 side and do better than the likes of Watford and Bournemouth.

No I agree but we are only six games into the season still think we will finish above those sides by the end of the season. Even Everton, probably the biggest club outside the top six, has bad seasons. Being a regular top ten side has to be the goal but football has way to many variables to guarantee it every season.

So you're content finishing 17th then is what you're saying

Do you know what? I actually am quite content with that. And the reason is we can always build again and it is easier to pursue 7th or better having survived relegation rather than having to fight for promotion from the Championship.

Not my problem if you can't see that.

The world has not ended, we lost against a team that should be pushing to win this ridiculously annoying and yet addicting league, we didn't play as well as we could have and I am quite sure the Ron will be explaining to the players what went wrong and how they are going to overcome it.

I am totally mystified with this obsession of constant improvement and failure to do so being some sort of life ending disaster. Being in the top flight is good stability no matter what position we end up in - we proved that for 26 years. You can claim it is mediocrity if you like, and I would agree that, perhaps, we could have done more to win a few cups while we were there. But it didn't happen and so I shall leave that fact to the history obsessed. One day we will win another cup, one day we will break the top 6 properly, one day....... But until then just being in the PL is enough because that provides the stable base for us to improve upon.

This team, when we start playing properly, will be far better than anything Sunderland, Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Bompey or Watford are capable of. We're unbeaten away from home and lost narrowly at home to Utd. We may have gifted Utd the win but we gave them a better game than Liverpool did. The only properly poor result was Everton.

The time to be concerned is when we look 100 miles away from even competing in games. If we'd lost 3-0 again yesterday and not had a shot on target, then I'd be a bit worried.

Edit: You can add West Brom to that list, they played like the away team hoping for a 0-0 last week. Leicester and West Ham may be flavour of the month but they really aren't anything special. No different to Hull and Wigan being in the top 4 a few years ago, they both ended up fighting the drop.

Edited by Lighthouse

Do you know what? I actually am quite content with that. And the reason is we can always build again and it is easier to pursue 7th or better having survived relegation rather than having to fight for promotion from the Championship.

Not my problem if you can't see that.

The world has not ended, we lost against a team that should be pushing to win this ridiculously annoying and yet addicting league, we didn't play as well as we could have and I am quite sure the Ron will be explaining to the players what went wrong and how they are going to overcome it.

I am totally mystified with this obsession of constant improvement and failure to do so being some sort of life ending disaster. Being in the top flight is good stability no matter what position we end up in - we proved that for 26 years. You can claim it is mediocrity if you like, and I would agree that, perhaps, we could have done more to win a few cups while we were there. But it didn't happen and so I shall leave that fact to the history obsessed. One day we will win another cup, one day we will break the top 6 properly, one day....... But until then just being in the PL is enough because that provides the stable base for us to improve upon.

Finishing 17th isn't anything like a stable base.

Thankfully we won't be finishing 17th, so its a fairly moot point.

Finishing 17th isn't anything like a stable base.

Thankfully we won't be finishing 17th, so its a fairly moot point.

I would take 17th with an FA Cup win.

The beauty of a relegation fight is the nerves in the last month of the season gets to you but it's exciting at the end when you survive.

Why the f()ck are people laying into Cedric about being defensively frail when he's 20, come to a completely new league and standard of football and from what I've seen, hasn't done a lot wrong in the games he has played in?

Everything I've seen him of him has suggested that he's streets ahead of Martina and Yoshida at RB...

so why doesn't the manager play him there then. He should be our first choice right back for all occasions but it seems that he isn't.

Why the f()ck are people laying into Cedric about being defensively frail when he's 20, come to a completely new league and standard of football and from what I've seen, hasn't done a lot wrong in the games he has played in?

Everything I've seen him of him has suggested that he's streets ahead of Martina and Yoshida at RB...

I think despite him being exciting up and down the wing with an eye for a solid cross, in the first game against Newcastle he was battered in his defensive duties to the point of getting a very early booking for a panic tackle, and nearly a quick second, then taken off before he could use up all the hot water with an early shower.

So I would guess he is considered a potential liability in certain games against certain players at right back. Yes Yoshida dropped a clanger yesterday but you cant see him getting panicked into getting a booking like Cedric has already shown.

The beauty of a relegation fight is the nerves in the last month of the season gets to you but it's exciting at the end when you survive.

Talk about rose tinted specs. There is no beauty to a relegation fight, it means you just end up watching the sh*t we put out in 04/05 every week.

Sure you get the occasional Norwich 4-3 but there're a lot more 2-2 Evertons and 3-0 at Blackburns without ever getting into their penalty area. Some people talk about 7th and 17th like they are just numbers but the difference is a heck of a lot of sh*t football.

So we signed Soares who is now dropped for Yoshida at RB, Martina who is a joke footballer, Juanmi who can't get a game, Clasie who hasn't kicked a ball in anger yet in the premier league, ( but looked like a fish out of water against Vitesse) , Van Dijk who looked like awesome last week against West Brom, but league 1 standard today. Stekelenburg really hasn't done much, and Romeu who seems to be out of favour a bit as he was dropped last week and taken off today. Seem to have wasted a lot of money on very average players which seems to point at a difficult season to come.

The famed black box seems to have developed a virus, and perhaps it needs a full reboot to get it up functioning again.

either this is a brilliantly sarcastic post, or it is just unbelievably pessimistic/clueless.

Soares is clearly our preferred RB, who for one game was replaced by Yoshida. Lots of reasons could be for this. Maybe Koeman felt Memphis would always want to turn and come inside (which he does/did, lots), and from that point on having Yoshida who is used to playing in the centre would actually be of more use. But clearly he had a reason for this one off decision, he acknowledged in his PC that it was unusual

Juanmi can't get a game for goodness knows why, agreed.

Clasie....what? So you're p ssed that he's injured? Did you even watch the Vitesse game - we completely fell apart when davis replaced clasie. We lost any kind of structure in the CM of the park. All down to Clasie, that was.

Van Dijk definitely didn't look league 1 standard. The issue is we don't have that much pace at the back, as Yoshida just isn't capable enough and targett isn't the kind of player to match someone like martial for speed. So he got run around a little bit, but he was still very dominating in the air and generally a nuiscance for utd corners/set pieces. He got turned in the box by Martial for the first goal, which to be fair is one of the best cruyff turns I have ever seen. To do that, at that speed, in the opponents box, was incredible. I wouldn't blame any defender for being foiled in that case.

Steklenburg...has been fairly solid (much moreso than fulham - I think he can only improve) but was sold out from a poor decision by his defense (back pass from yoshida). other than that, he's coped fairly well I would say and put in some decent saves.

Romeu....what are you talking about? Just because a player is subbed doesn't mean he is 'worse' than the other player. it was a tactical decision. As it happens, I think koeman really rates him. The tactical decision today to bring on davis was strange, though.

This is just an utterly hot air thread. We've spent much more wisely than many other teams.

Talk about rose tinted specs. There is no beauty to a relegation fight, it means you just end up watching the sh*t we put out in 04/05 every week.

Sure you get the occasional Norwich 4-3 but there're a lot more 2-2 Evertons and 3-0 at Blackburns without ever getting into their penalty area. Some people talk about 7th and 17th like they are just numbers but the difference is a heck of a lot of sh*t football.

indeed. we finished 7th and compare that to sunderland last season...:scared:

He is right on the face of it. Sell £28m+ of right back and replace them with someone the manager doesn't even trust for big games. That's not right.

Agree, this is mine main criticism. If we signed Cedric as a 'one for the future' type of signing, then surely we needed someone better than Martina who can play there now. Instead, both of them are on the bench and we're playing CB and RB against one of the better teams in the league. Maybe we really thought Clyne was staying and got caught cold when he left, but there was still plenty of time to get someone in.

A lot of our good play from last season came from the full backs and you can tell how much we've missed Bertrand (and Clyne) from both an attacking and defensive perspective so far.

On a separate note, and not knocking him, but I'd be interested to see what Stekelenberg's shot's to save ratio is? Must be on par with Gazzanigga's during his run in the team when Boruc was injured!

Cedric in our League games this year:

Newcastle: Subbed off after 45mins for Martina

Everton: Played 90mins

Watford: Played 90mins (but not at RB in a back 4)

Norwich: subbed off for Martina after 72mins

West Brom: subbed off for Yoshida after 75mins

Man Utd: didnt play, Yoshida picked

So of our 6 games, in 4 of them we have ended the game without Cedric on the pitch.

Similar story in the Europa League.

We replaced a proven consistent performer with a good player but for whatever reason he isnt being trusted or isnt physically ready.

I expected we would replace Clyne with someone inferior but at least with someone who would start and finish the majority of games when fit.

Martina has ended up featuring in 3 league games when he was surely intended to be a cover player we would rarely see.

Edited by Saint Charlie

We buy a right back that our manager doesn't think is good enough for big games? That's a big problem.

Surely this is pure speculation, the manager probably wanted more height this game and felt he needed three at the back giving Targett more licence to go forward he did not have someone tall enough to play left back so Soares was sacrificed. If Bertrand was fit and therefore provided more cover defensively Soares may well have played! This is all supposition! just because Koeman decides to put Yoshi in at right back for one match doesn't mean he thinks Soares isn't up to it! you may as well argue that when Van Gaal plays Fellini up front he thinks Rooney or Martial are not up to it! Managers make changes for single matches to suit subtle changes aimed at negating the oppositions strong points or exploiting particular weaknesses even Le Tiss was dropped at times when more energy was needed!

Surely this is pure speculation, the manager probably wanted more height this game and felt he needed three at the back giving Targett more licence to go forward he did not have someone tall enough to play left back so Soares was sacrificed. If Bertrand was fit and therefore provided more cover defensively Soares may well have played! This is all supposition! just because Koeman decides to put Yoshi in at right back for one match doesn't mean he thinks Soares isn't up to it! you may as well argue that when Van Gaal plays Fellini up front he thinks Rooney or Martial are not up to it! Managers make changes for single matches to suit subtle changes aimed at negating the oppositions strong points or exploiting particular weaknesses even Le Tiss was dropped at times when more energy was needed!

Koeman said before the game that he played Yoshiday because Cedric isn't good defensively! There is also no reason to be concerned about Man Utd's height! As highlighted above, this isn't an isolated occurance so far!

It isn't "speculation", its what actually happened. Koeman would rather play a 2nd choice centre back out of position, than our new first choice right back. Does that not concern you at all?

It isn't "speculation", its what actually happened. Koeman would rather play a 2nd choice centre back out of position, than our new first choice right back. Does that not concern you at all?

I find the managerial decision more concerning than the signing itself. On the whole I think we've bought some decent players this summer (although it's still very early to tell), I just don't think Koeman is getting the best out of them (or even playing them)

I find the managerial decision more concerning than the signing itself. On the whole I think we've bought some decent players this summer (although it's still very early to tell), I just don't think Koeman is getting the best out of them (or even playing them)
Yeah, I don't think Soares is too bad a player and I can definitely see potential there, but as a whole process, to bring in two right backs and for both of them to be behind Yoshida is a worry, I don't think its too much to expect our new right back to be picked ahead of him.