Koeman this season

Papa Shango

Right, so you agree that Koeman and MP pretty similar for us, which was my original point.

Which of our under 21s have you seen look comparable to say Dier or Ali?

I don't agree they were pretty similar, I think Pochettino was better. The main reason is Chambers - easy as it is to dismiss that as one player, putting him in ahead of someone as established and consistent as Clyne was a big deal.

I don't watch the U21s, but there is a case to be made that players don't improve until you put them into the first team environment. That doesn't necessarily mean starting Reed and Seager in the league but it might mean using them in the cups, which Koeman didn't.

Coaching is about more than waiting for a young player to rip up the youth team then plonking him in the first XI - it's about seeing the qualities they need to develop to make the step up and helping them through it. One way to motivate a player and give him confidence is to show your faith by giving him chances in the first team, even if it's not in the league.

Edited by DuncanRG

FF, why do you think he'll cut it at Premier level when he can't even cut it at MK Dons?

Good question. I know MP rated Gallagher highly which tells me something and I saw enough of him in last season's U21 cup run to think he had what it takes. But Koeman did nothing to give him encouragement and he went to MK Dons just to get game time. Soon after he arrived Robinson signed Maynard which meant he was been on the bench ever since so his opportunities have been restricted. Of course you could argue he should have forced his way into Robinson's team but with the Dons fighting relegation the manager is reluctant to experiment with a rookie. Leading a forward line is a tough job and one that takes a lot of confidence and time on the pitch with the manager displaying faith in you. Not sure Koeman and Robinson are the ideal managers to do that but I wouldn't mind betting MP is watching from afar.

First season I think he did a miracle job to be honest. We got into Europe and played some decent stuff.

This season we sold too many quality players who had been a large part of our squads team spirit. The balance of the spine was sold off and we have failed to recruit the right people to plug those holes. Romeu, Clasie, Martina and Caulker are simply not at the level of the players they were here to replace.

While it is true Koeman will of had some influence on these transfers I think it is more down to how much he has been given to spend. A £5m reject who has hardly played is never going to be at the same level as one who has played nearly week in week out for 5 years at the top levels.

We were told by Ralph and Les that all transfer money made would be put back into the team. By my rough calculations that should mean we still have around £35m to spend.

So I don't blame Koeman, he can't stop players leaving. The board can though. Everton said they would rather Stones left on a free then sell him, even after he handed in a request.

My opinion is the board need to back up their claims about the club competing for the top 6. You don't do that by selling your best players every summer.

FF, you obviously have a personal link to Gallagher which is fair enough, but I don't think he has really kicked on and demonstrated that he is a genuine PL option.

Hopefully he is recalled from Dons and sent somewhere in L1 or 2 where he will start every week.

There is obviously a good player in there somewhere but whenever Ive seen Sam I think he is still working out what type of player he is: needs to use his size more IMO to be a genuine target man striker.

First season I think he did a miracle job to be honest. We got into Europe and played some decent stuff.

This season we sold too many quality players who had been a large part of our squads team spirit. The balance of the spine was sold off and we have failed to recruit the right people to plug those holes. Romeu, Clasie, Martina and Caulker are simply not at the level of the players they were here to replace.

While it is true Koeman will of had some influence on these transfers I think it is more down to how much he has been given to spend. A £5m reject who has hardly played is never going to be at the same level as one who has played nearly week in week out for 5 years at the top levels.

We were told by Ralph and Les that all transfer money made would be put back into the team. By my rough calculations that should mean we still have around £35m to spend.

So I don't blame Koeman, he can't stop players leaving. The board can though. Everton said they would rather Stones left on a free then sell him, even after he handed in a request.

My opinion is the board need to back up their claims about the club competing for the top 6. You don't do that by selling your best players every summer.

Good post, I especially agree with your estimate of how much money Ronald should have available. Either that, or Reed and Kruger are feeding us bullsh*t. I don't think the supporters will be fooled.

Its a very bold statement to say MP is a better manager. Be interesting to see what RK would have done with the players MP had. Its pretty obvious to anyone with a brain that Lallana is better than Tadic. He stabilised a team that has lost its best players. Some of the replacements have been poor, but some have done a good job. I wonder who wanted to recruit Alderverweild? RK or the black box?? Certainly wasn't RK's fault he left.

The point often missed is that without him last season we could have well been relegated. He walks into the dressing room & any player has to instantly respect him for what he has achieved as a player & a coach.

Not many would have taken that job on. Let alone do it half as well.

It looks to me at the moment that many players simply aren't performing at the level they were or can.

I was at Sheffield Utd last year & Sunderland in the cup the year before. Without doubt the Sunderland performance under MP was the worst I have seen in about 5 seasons. That was without doubt MP's fault!!

What RK hasn't done is bring in enough players with pace & width. Mane aside we are soooooooo slow. We cant break quickly & look very one dimensional which was also a fault of MP.

Don't get me started on Osvaldo...............................

Personally believe MP lacks integrity too. Soon as he started speaking English with Spurs showed him to be a shallow man IMHO. He also had his favourites!!

The last point is simply about a replacement. Not at all convinced we can get anyone any better than Koeman.

We have the 17th highest wage bill, lower quartile ground capacity & a youth team that has literally been raped over the last few years. Oxo, Lallana, Chambers, Shaw were proper youth players. Morgan & Clyne came from elsewhere. They all get in our team today. Lambert & Lovren probably wouldn't....................

The model/philosophy is simple. Buy players for upto £12m who play for 2-3 years then sell for £20m+.

We buy from Celtic who pay £30k pw, we pay £60k pw & then they go & earn £100k+ - its pretty simple really.

We are a mid table team (7th at best) with lower table assets & revenues. No doubt we are under performing at the moment, but you take Morgan from any team in the world & they are worse for it.

I'm not a happy clappy type, but I cant see a better alternative...................................................

We were told by Ralph and Les that all transfer money made would be put back into the team. By my rough calculations that should mean we still have around £35m to spend

Good post, I especially agree with your estimate of how much money Ronald should have available. Either that, or Reed and Kruger are feeding us bullsh*t. I don't think the supporters will be fooled.

After the big window 2 summers ago we made about a 25 million profit, although presumably we had a big increase in wages. Shaw and Chambers would not have been on big money, and we sold 5 but brought in 7 or 8.

This summer just gone we sold about 35 million and spent roughly the same, so I'm not sure why people think there is money from transfer revenue to spend. It was quite clearly stated funds received would be invested in the squad in both fees AND wages.

We have the 17th highest wage bill

Has this been confirmed anywhere? I remember reading that in the 2013/14 season (before the big exodus) we had the 5th lowest wage bill in the league but haven't seen any figures since then. I'd be surprised if it were still true

After the big window 2 summers ago we made about a 25 million profit, although presumably we had a big increase in wages. Shaw and Chambers would not have been on big money, and we sold 5 but brought in 7 or 8.

This summer just gone we sold about 35 million and spent roughly the same, so I'm not sure why people think there is money from transfer revenue to spend. It was quite clearly stated funds received would be invested in the squad in both fees AND wages.

Has this been confirmed anywhere? I remember reading that in the 2013/14 season (before the big exodus) we had the 5th lowest wage bill in the league but haven't seen any figures since then. I'd be surprised if it were still true

Also, we're still having to cover Osvaldo, Ramirez and the training ground improvements.

the manager himself

We also had to pay wages to the players we sold. So I don't agree that the revenue has to finance transfers and wages.

the manager himself

Who will not know himself. I think it's people think the head coach has access to the wage bill as well as the wage bill of every other club. A lazy comment from RK which is far more likely to be referring to figures from 3 seasons ago, of which many of the papers wrote articles comparing the wage bills of every club for the 2013/14 season, which are now completely irrelevant and misleading to our current situation given the turnover of players since then.

We also had to pay wages to the players we sold. So I don't agree that the revenue has to finance transfers and wages.

Total wages of Shaw, Chambers, Lallana, Lambert and Lovren would have been considerably less than the total for Pelle, Mane, Toby, Tadic, Forster, Bertand, Gardos and Long

Who will not know himself. I think it's people think the head coach has access to the wage bill as well as the wage bill of every other club. A lazy comment from RK which is far more likely to be referring to figures from 3 seasons ago, of which many of the papers wrote articles comparing the wage bills of every club for the 2013/14 season, which are now completely irrelevant and misleading to our current situation given the turnover of players since then.

You really think Koeman does not know the wages of his players? Of course he does. He would only need to refer to Champ Manager or whatever it is that MLG updates, to know it anyway of course.

We are playing in the wealthiest league in the world, and are about the only club that generates a profit on transfers. We also have one of the lowest wage bills in the division.

I refuse to believe that we can't spend decent money. I absolutely believe that the club don't want to. They sell the 'Southampton Way' as some sort of miracle, in the same way as the yanks peddle the 'American Dream'.

FF, you obviously have a personal link to Gallagher which is fair enough, but I don't think he has really kicked on and demonstrated that he is a genuine PL option.

Hopefully he is recalled from Dons and sent somewhere in L1 or 2 where he will start every week.

There is obviously a good player in there somewhere but whenever Ive seen Sam I think he is still working out what type of player he is: needs to use his size more IMO to be a genuine target man striker.

Your last line makes a good point

We are playing in the wealthiest league in the world, and are about the only club that generates a profit on transfers. We also have one of the lowest wage bills in the division.

I refuse to believe that we can't spend decent money. I absolutely believe that the club don't want to. They sell the 'Southampton Way' as some sort of miracle, in the same way as the yanks peddle the 'American Dream'.

Come on Wadey, that's helmet talk.

You really think Koeman does not know the wages of his players? Of course he does

No, I don't believe Koeman knows the exact wage of every first team player at the club. He might have a rough idea but not the exact details. And I also don't believe he knows what the wage bills are at other clubs. He's seen/heard some of the stories about us having one of the lowest wage bills in 2013/14 and come out with a lazy comment. Player wages went up from 55 million to 70 million in 2014/15, which obviously is a huge jump. It's far more likely our wage bill is around the average for the league now

No, I don't believe Koeman knows the exact wage of every first team player at the club. He might have a rough idea but not the exact details. And I also don't believe he knows what the wage bills are at other clubs. He's seen/heard some of the stories about us having one of the lowest wage bills in 2013/14 and come out with a lazy comment. Player wages went up from 55 million to 70 million in 2014/15, which obviously is a huge jump. It's far more likely our wage bill is around the average for the league now

No, the total salary mass including directors, cleaners and sales girls went up to 70 million in 2014/15. Whereas FFP refers only to players and coaches salaries and does not include anything else.

The MP/Koeman comparisons are a bit nonsensical as there are too many variables over a pretty small timeframe to consider. However I do believe that over the course of their respective careers, MP will be considered to be the better and more successful manager overall.

If we want to compare the two lets do it after Spurs (hopefully) lose all of their best players in a similar fashion to us next season.

Let's face it, for all the praise, we have only seen MP operating after inheriting an extremely rosy position.

You are then very naive if you think he doesnt know wage bill of his own players. Maybe not other teams, in the same detail.

Agree completely.

If as expected we lose Mane and Wanyama next summer , With the massive injection of cash coming in were going to have to spend BIG just to keep up with the also rans let alone dreams of Europe imo!

If as expected we lose Mane and Wanyama next summer , With the massive injection of cash coming in were going to have to spend BIG just to keep up with the also rans let alone dreams of Europe imo!

why is it expected that we lose mane?

why do we have to sell him?

Do you really expect him to stay if one of the big teams wanted him ?

well, yes.

Other sides generally do that. Unless of course, the offer is disgustingly big that we could buy 4 Mane's to replace him

a stunt double never sat in for him when he signed his deal.

well, yes.

Other sides generally do that. Unless of course, the offer is disgustingly big that we could buy 4 Mane's to replace him

Or one decent goal scorer. Mané has hardly been tearing up the league this season.

I think they include the newly signed transferees' salary in their calculations as well as increases given to current players. On the other hand, I think they treat the salaries that would have been paid to outgoing players as available funds. This means that there is a lot less than 35 million available.

You may not feel that, but I think the club would disagree. They want net wage increases to be covered out of the transfer revenue. It might be different next season with the increased TV contracts.

I don't think that is a fair comparison, but I decline to state why.

No, the total salary mass including directors, cleaners and sales girls went up to 70 million in 2014/15. Whereas FFP refers only to players and coaches salaries and does not include anything else.

Players are a majority of the wage bill and, in any case, the other people need to be paid so that is real money the club has to spend.

well, yes.

I don't think other clubs generally do keep their players. Aston Villa didn't. Everton did, of course. However, it gets tough when there are only two years left in a contract. If you don't sell then you lose a bunch of money (compare Clyne with Schneiderlin). The club probably needs to be more proactive on signing good players to longer contracts--why, for example, did we not sign Clyne to a long term contract before selling Chambers to Arsenal? Clyne was not yet England's right back so he might have been willing to sign for a decent raise. Then we could have turned down offers this past summer. If he refused to sign even then, we would have known that we needed to keep Chambers, who had just signed a long term contract.

Edited by Redslo

This is why I still love this forum.

Absolute comedy gold.

why is it expected that we lose mane?

why do we have to sell him?

We have to sell him because, unless he signs a new contract, this is the last year (2016) where we can get decent money for him.

Sell him in 2017 and he'll go for cheap like Clyne.

Rk looked seriously angry after the Spuds game

I for one will want to see how the Christmas period goes before judging RK

My personal beef has been RK's patience with big Vic. Too many poor passes and that feeling his head moved at the start of the season

I'd like to see him dropped completely and Romero or Harry Reed given a game

On the striker front no JRod and a semi fit Pelle are a worry. I believe that RK said he would like to bring in a striker, question is who?

The MP/Koeman comparisons are a bit nonsensical as there are too many variables over a pretty small timeframe to consider. However I do believe that over the course of their respective careers, MP will be considered to be the better and more successful manager overall.

He will have to go some then so far he hasn't won squat. Koeman has already won quite a bit in three different countries as a manager, assuming one uses trophies as a way to judge a successful manager, Koeman has achieved far more than Poch. Also after one and half seasons Koeman has a 44.9% win ratio compared to Poch's 38.3% with a squad most people are saying is better than the one Koeman has.

He will have to go some then so far he hasn't won squat. Koeman has already won quite a bit in three different countries as a manager, assuming one uses trophies as a way to judge a successful manager, Koeman has achieved far more than Poch. Also after one and half seasons Koeman has a 44.9% win ratio compared to Poch's 38.3% with a squad most people are saying is better than the one Koeman has.

does that make harry redknapp as successful as Lawrie Mac?

We have to sell him because, unless he signs a new contract, this is the last year (2016) where we can get decent money for him.

Sell him in 2017 and he'll go for cheap like Clyne.

we dont have to sell him at all

when we sold clyne, we still made a large profit.

if mane is good enough for united, we would still make a large profit (if that is all important) by selling him with 12 months to go on his deal

he is miles off good enough for united at the mo/this season

You may not feel that, but I think the club would disagree. They want net wage increases to be covered out of the transfer revenue. It might be different next season with the increased TV contracts.

I don't think that is a fair comparison, but I decline to state why.

Players are a majority of the wage bill and, in any case, the other people need to be paid so that is real money the club has to spend.

I don't think other clubs generally do keep their players. Aston Villa didn't. Everton did, of course. However, it gets tough when there are only two years left in a contract. If you don't sell then you lose a bunch of money (compare Clyne with Schneiderlin). The club probably needs to be more proactive on signing good players to longer contracts--why, for example, did we not sign Clyne to a long term contract before selling Chambers to Arsenal? Clyne was not yet England's right back so he might have been willing to sign for a decent raise. Then we could have turned down offers this past summer. If he refused to sign even then, we would have known that we needed to keep Chambers, who had just signed a long term contract.

Do we know that Clyne hadn't been offered an improved contract earlier? Also I think that Ron/the club felt that £16m for Chambers was a steal and too good to miss.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinions and here is mine I do not rate Koeman! tactically I think he makes stupid decisions take the whole Europe campaign or lack of......

If he is such a great manager why the hell didn't he realize that we rely on Pelle far to much.....

Has a habit of playing players out of position.

He continues to play players who are showing a lack of desire Wanyama: continues to play boring players who contribute nothing to the team i.e Ward Prowse, Davis and leaves the most creative outlet on the bench.... Gaston.

His obsession for dutch players, The dutch league is average it's championship at best dutch players are over hyped the dutch way of playing is boring / slow.

Often criticizes everyone else maybe the fact that the team is under performing? is down to poor management.....

Lastly give the youth a run out............. gotta be a better option than continuing to play the same dross week in week out.

Selling players give us one off benefit. Keeping and getting higher in the league gives us continual higher benefit. Keep and we are better off every year. We must get over this sell off mentality. The more we do this the better we become the more people will want to stop. We have to create this it will not just happen one day.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinions and here is mine I do not rate Koeman! tactically I think he makes stupid decisions take the whole Europe campaign or lack of......

If he is such a great manager why the hell didn't he realize that we rely on Pelle far to much.....

Has a habit of playing players out of position.

He continues to play players who are showing a lack of desire Wanyama: continues to play boring players who contribute nothing to the team i.e Ward Prowse, Davis and leaves the most creative outlet on the bench.... Gaston.

His obsession for dutch players, The dutch league is average it's championship at best dutch players are over hyped the dutch way of playing is boring / slow.

Often criticizes everyone else maybe the fact that the team is under performing? is down to poor management.....

Lastly give the youth a run out............. gotta be a better option than continuing to play the same dross week in week out.

Is that the Davis that was our player of the month last month?

I know MP rated Gallagher highly which tells me something and I saw enough of him in last season's U21 cup run

I accept your viewpoint on Sam's career Duncan, but tbf...when Pochettino put Sam on as sub. in the 4th round FA Cup 2013.. he thankfully scored a good goal.

With Lambert injured, Sam then started the next fixture 2-2 home v. Arsenal, but was first to be subbed. He then made 6 more sub.apps before finally scoring a 97th min. goal - (in a game we had already won - Norwich 4-2). Sam was sub. three times more (when JayRod got injured, and the following game when Gaston went off injured).

.......In the final 4 games that season, he started twice and came on twice - without scoring again. His good form in the U21's was never replicated at the higher level.

Whatever we say was " Pochettino's admiration for Sam", in reality MP was basically forced to play Sam as he had no other options with Lambert as the only fit striker.

Regardless of " some other comments on here", I think that Koeman's 7th place, was a far greater achievement than MP's 8th place ....simply because Koeman's side lacked FIVE of the players that Pochettino had de facto "inherited" from Nigel Adkins, (some of whom had played together for 2-3 seasons prior to MP's arrival).

Having said that, I really hope that Sam returns from what has become a wasted 5 months loan fiasco, and that we never loan anyone to MK Dons again (at least not with their present manager). With almost zero game time this season, he is almost back to square one, and unless we see a goal surge from him after the New Year, he may not get another first team chance this season. The U21 fixture list is rather sparse until the beginning of February, and so he may have few chances to play.

Edited by david in sweden

Although RK improved our league position by one place (wow) the standard of football under MP the previous season was significantly better. And MP was prepared to blood youngsters - Gallager for instance featured in half our Premier Lg games in 13-14.

Getting fed up with the negative bed wetting rubbish our fans are coming out with over one rough patch. I don't remember a single 8-0 or 6-1 win under loch, let alone 2 in the same season. The failing this year has been by the board and the recruitment teams, we haven't replace adequately, lost Toby when he was bloody well texting koeman all summer and didn't buy a single improvement of player quality. Everyone else around us improved. But seriously all, get over yourselves. We still beat Chelsea away, we're having an okay season so far and you have to accept that this is a rebuilding season after 2 years of complete squad refreshing. What we rebuild into is up to the recruitment and scouting team and so far their track record (without koeman's) input is shocking. But the depressive rubbish our fans are spouting on here is clap trap frankly. People forget that under loch we hardly ever won a game from behind, the craps cup sides he out out, nor how bad Tottenham were last year. Even spuds fans were calling for him out this year when they lost to Newcastle. Koeman is fine for us, just hope the board back him and I wish he would give pelle a rest and play long/juanmi for the movement.