Saints vs Man City - Build up

Lighthouse

the club makes a 5 year plan. I am interested in that plan

it was separate to my contract. there is still ambition to grow

I do not knock on the door, plenty of time yet to discuss contracts

Was that an "I'm interested in what I've been told the 5 year plan is", or was that an "I'm interested to hear what the 5 year plan will be?"

Yes, I know all that (obviously :) ), but the 'part 1' press conference, despite getting less and less informative over the years, usually covers team news at least. Hey ho, perhaps I'm a bit too old fashioned :)

So Ronald, this week Gabby Agbonlahor gave up the Villa captaincy. Do you like vanilla ice cream or prefer strawberry?

Was that an "I'm interested in what I've been told the 5 year plan is", or was that an "I'm interested to hear what the 5 year plan will be?"

From the other thread:

Koeman quite evasive in his presser today about a new contract.

He said:

- He will be the Manager next season as has one year of contract

- Not talking about links to other clubs

- Still ambitious as a Manager

- Hasnt had any contract talks with the Club and he will wait for them to approach him if they want to

- He had meetings about the 5 year plan which he was interested in. The club wants to grow more which was good to see in RK's opinion

- No rush on contract in his opinion as has one year left and when he was at Feyenoord he signed 3 x 1 year contracts and only started discussing the next one in the January so plenty of time

My opinion: Saints in a difficult position because if he does just decide to see out the contract we either have to put up with a lot of media speculation and distraction next season, or let him go this summer on the basis we want someone who is committed to the long term. Surely no chance we will fire him, so Ralph had better let Reed handle the talks and hope they go well!

From the other thread:

Koeman quite evasive in his presser today about a new contract.

He said:

- He will be the Manager next season as has one year of contract

- Not talking about links to other clubs

- Still ambitious as a Manager

- Hasnt had any contract talks with the Club and he will wait for them to approach him if they want to

- He had meetings about the 5 year plan which he was interested in. The club wants to grow more which was good to see in RK's opinion

- No rush on contract in his opinion as has one year left and when he was at Feyenoord he signed 3 x 1 year contracts and only started discussing the next one in the January so plenty of time

My opinion: Saints in a difficult position because if he does just decide to see out the contract we either have to put up with a lot of media speculation and distraction next season, or let him go this summer on the basis we want someone who is committed to the long term. Surely no chance we will fire him, so Ralph had better let Reed handle the talks and hope they go well!

Think you're overstating things.

Even if Koeman decides to see out his contract, he has every incentive to do a good job if he is gunning for a bigger and better move. Look at the fate of some other mangers; memories tend to be short: a decent CV can be blotted by a period of recent underperformance.

Whether a given manager is here or not won't really affect the club's planning for the long-term - Koeman probably doesn't has much direct say in these areas anyway. Even if Koeman is committed to the long-term, it doesn't necessarily mean he will act in a long-term way. The pressures on managers to perform -regardless of their contract length- virtually guarantee that they won't be looking beyond the next transfer window or two. Koeman admitted as much.

Ultimately, the market for managers is not the same as the market for players. We don't need to worry about a manager going on a free. Having a manager enter the last year of a contract is not ideal -though that's why organisations have succession plans; but it just doesn't have the same financial consequences.

Unlike you to "question" something?

Au contraire old bean. I make a conscious effort to question something at least once every 274 days.

Indeed, on August 24th 2015 I questioned why Bobby Davro hadn't returned to the Reading Hexagon with his one man show in over 25 years and I'm still waiting for a damn answer.

Edited by trousers

Au contraire old bean. I make a conscious effort to question something at least once every 274 days.

Indeed, on August 24th 2015 I questioned why Booby Davro hadn't returned to the Reading Hexagon with his one man show in over 25 years and I'm still waiting for a damn answer.

Got to be a sinister cover up probably involving the S Yorkshire police

Had an exclusive interview with Ryan Bertrand this week. Here's the double page spread. You can read it online, here: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/511816/Ryan-Bertrand-England-Euro-2016-glory-Southampton-Premier-League-European-double

Top bloke and really positive about Saints and what the club is trying to achieve.

ChR1KJ8WgAA4P8E.jpg:large

ChR2KnEWwAAvP-V.jpg:large

A good read but the second paragraph doesn't make sense, on the website at least:

'Bertrand is also desperate help Saints backing into Europe next season – by winning the last three league games and qualifying for their second successive Europa League.'

A good read but the second paragraph doesn't make sense, on the website at least:

'Bertrand is also desperate help Saints backing into Europe next season – by winning the last three league games and qualifying for their second successive Europa League.'

Noticed that earlier. Checked what I sent them and what actually went in the paper, and it read: "qualifying for their second successive Europa League campaign"

Not sure why it's ended up like that on the website. But thanks for the kind words!

Had an exclusive interview with Ryan Bertrand this week. Here's the double page spread. You can read it online, here: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/511816/Ryan-Bertrand-England-Euro-2016-glory-Southampton-Premier-League-European-double

Top bloke and really positive about Saints and what the club is trying to achieve.

ChR1KJ8WgAA4P8E.jpg:large

ChR2KnEWwAAvP-V.jpg:large

Great piece, Connor. Thanks for writing - and sharing.

Indeed, on August 24th 2015 I questioned why Bobby Davro hadn't returned to the Reading Hexagon with his one man show in over 25 years and I'm still waiting for a damn answer.

Thats because he's heading for brighter times by playing at the ... Concorde in eastleigh lol