If only....

alpine_saint

Personally don't believe in 'what if's' - you can do them after every single game to be fair. What if....

We hadn't hit the woodwork 3 times

Victor hadn't got sent off

The ref had of given the pen

And so on, and so on. All of these thing happen every game, but once the ref has blown the final whistle it's done - you can't change it (normally) - so just move on to the next game.

That said - there are probably supporters up and down the country doing 'what if's'. Personally I'm just very happy with a very good season, where we've played some good stuff, and bloodied a few big boys noses.

'What ifs' - not for me, just imagine what Villa fans are 'what iffing' right now and be thankful for a very good season once again.

If KD hadn't given Leicester the ball in the 93rd min, or whenever it was, we win, they lose, their run halts and they start picking up typical results for a bang average mid table team and we end up winning the league.

So, basically, Stekelenberg getting injured has won Leicester the league and cost us the league. That's a fact.

You sure you haven't been interfered with in Leicester?

That's the 2nd time you have given out a personal insult to Alpine after your rolo's comment.

Dont you think it's overstepping the mark CB Fry?

Im surprised you are not banned on here as you offer very little to the forum other than cyber bullying.

Miss look Miss look

If KD hadn't given Leicester the ball in the 93rd min, or whenever it was, we win, they lose, their run halts and they start picking up typical results for a bang average mid table team and we end up winning the league.

So, basically, Stekelenberg getting injured has won Leicester the league and cost us the league. That's a fact.

Stekelenberg is outstandingly shyte, but hanging failure to win the league on him for getting injured is a tad harsh. For most teams a keeper as bad as him getting injured should lead to an improvement in results, but when your back up keepers to the back up keeper are KD and Gazza...........

The most pertinent 'what if' would be what if we didn't have such one star awful back up keepers.

O.P's question perfectly valid by the way.

Totally agree that the bigger teams underperformed this season and I do think that trend can continue into next season.

The players play too much football, We have the Euro's coming up plus champions league and coca cup etc.

They have to rest some players which gives them an unsettled team.

The likes of Saints and Leicester could put the same players out week in and week out from the start of January which is a luxury for the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool to name a few.

I also think we need to work out why our team is so poor leading up to the xmas period, happens every time for some reason?

We clearly buy too many players who still believe in father christmas and are too excited about what they will find at the bottom of their beds on christmas morning to even think about taking football seriously in the run up to the big day. It's no coincidence that our best performance of the season came on boxing day with the anticipation over and the present-fuelled adrenalin rush still kicking in. The black box needs to be fitted with a "belief in Santa" filter.

We clearly buy too many players who still believe in father christmas and are too excited about what they will find at the bottom of their beds on christmas morning to even think about taking football seriously in the run up to the big day. It's no coincidence that our best performance of the season came on boxing day with the anticipation over and the present-fuelled adrenalin rush still kicking in. The black box needs to be fitted with a "belief in Santa" filter.

Koeman and the Dutch contingent all believe in Black Peter, Europe's most wonderfully racist schoolchild Christmas tradition.

Personally, I choose to think of it in terms of them having taken confidence from what we did last season...

Somewhat gobsmacked at the responses of adriansfc, Turkish and CBFry. I would have thought my feeling was on the mind of every Saints fan at the moment.

Surprised at the response of CB Fry ? Really ? If you left in a room on his own he would pick an argument with himself.

Surprised at the response of CB Fry ? Really ? If you left in a room on his own he would pick an argument with himself.

He is actually quite consistent and informed. His contribution and posts immeasurably more interesting than yours and that fcking idiot troll Alpine.

Well, I dont give a sh*t about the other teams. I support Saints.

So allow me the indulgence of speculating with like-minded fans on a Saints chat page (fans of other teams are free to speculate on their own pages....), and try to contribute something other than being contrary and stating the bleedin' obvious.

Someone got out of bed the wrong side! You clearly do care about other teams given the amount of vitriol you throw at some of them. What if all you like, it wont change anything and it just means you wallow in your usual vat of negativity. Just for once how about trying to see the glass as half full and not bone dry and see how that feels. I am sure there are many Saints fans who are happy with the season and aren't wasting their time on what might have been. As has been said, the what ifs include plenty of scenarios where we could have lost points too. As for stating the bleedin' obvious, here is a couple of what ifs for you. What if we had won every game? What if we had lost every game? Neither going to happen eh? No, so we fall somewhere between the two (again) Who would have thought it? If only......

Someone got out of bed the wrong side! You clearly do care about other teams given the amount of vitriol you throw at some of them. What if all you like, it wont change anything and it just means you wallow in your usual vat of negativity. Just for once how about trying to see the glass as half full and not bone dry and see how that feels. I am sure there are many Saints fans who are happy with the season and aren't wasting their time on what might have been. As has been said, the what ifs include plenty of scenarios where we could have lost points too. As for stating the bleedin' obvious, here is a couple of what ifs for you. What if we had won every game? What if we had lost every game? Neither going to happen eh? No, so we fall somewhere between the two (again) Who would have thought it? If only......

OK, so we agree then. I and others can what-if to our hearts content.

And no doubt you will continue with your sanctimonious clap-trap.

Glad we sorted that out.

Anyway, back to what ifs. What if we had Leicester's incredible (mostly) injury-free record? They had luck there for sure, but I'm not convinced it's 100% luck.

Here's a thought....

What if every other supporters list of What Ifs meant that we ended up being relegated?

The problem is We're never quite sure if it's you posting or your son racing round the desk to login as you when you pop downstairs for a sugar top up.

Don't you like your nickname though? I'm quite proud of the Troll fro lim the Tyrol. If you were a wrestler (sumo) it'd be fantastic. "In the red corner, weighing in at 320 ibs, the Troll from the Tyrol, it's alpine Saint"

Oh Dickie, how the mighty have fallen. Once you'd have been at the forefront on football related violence, now you're reduced to flinging out lowest common denominator insults to anonymous people on a message board. You bring shame on us all.

We've had a really good season TBH, a bit up and down but overall really good.

You can focus on the dropped points if you like but what about the wins at Utd, Spurs and Chelsea plus the home wins against Arse, City and Pool? It will be a long time before we repeat those scores.

Don't know why fans want to beat themselves up about it, it's not as if you have the slightest effect on how things go anyway so you might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

We of all supporters know what it's like to watch utter sh*te so savour the moment, this is as good a feel at the club as I've known and for the first time in years and years I feel that we go into every game with a decent chance of a result.

It's been a great season.

I think that it all goes back to Charlie Wayman getting injured at Tottenham in 1949. We would then have been promoted to the First Division that year, stayed there for 67 years and Leicester would not have won the league this year. Or is that just a bit tenuous?

I like this game. If only....

Long could finish like Messi.

Yoshida didn't make schoolboy errors.

Marcus had bought the club 10 years earlier.

None of our players ever got injured.

None of our players ever got suspended.

Alpine had been born in Portsmouth.

I hadn't met my first wife.

Etc etc etc.

And if we had finished second the troll from

The Tyrol would be on here whining that we bottled the league, we'll never win anything etc. But at least we've come a long way since his "we don't belong in the premier league" days.

I have no idea who either of you guys are but having had to endure your endless *****ing and bickering at each other season after season, most of us would suggest you kiss and make up and get on with the more constructive debating process of sensible commentary on the fortunes of our football club. Tedious indeed.

I have no idea who either of you guys are but having had to endure your endless *****ing and bickering at each other season after season, most of us would suggest you kiss and make up and get on with the more constructive debating process of sensible commentary on the fortunes of our football club. Tedious indeed.

If it's "sensible commentary" or "constructive debating" you're after I'd suggest that this isn't the place for you pal.

SOGGY, if you so vehemently see no value in this thread, why post on it ?

Are you trying to direct what can and cannot be discussed on here ?

Or are you just attention-seeking ?

Lighten up Alps. Just having a chuckle. ;) But seriously, we can if only or what if all day long and it will not change a thing. The same happens every season. There are always points dropped that we didn't expect and points gained that we didn't expect. For example who thought that we would take Arsenal to the cleaners the way we were playing at the time? Not long after someone posted where were the next points coming from we got a shedload of points. Your assumption in the OP is that if Forster and Bertrand had been in the side from day 1 we would have got more points but we have lost games with both of them in the side so it is pure conjecture as to whether we would have picked up more points or not. As you know, the point of the squad is to provide adequate cover when other players are injured, suspended or out of form. There is absolutely no guarantee that we would have more points if those two had been available from the start of the season but the point I am making is that is doesn't matter one bit because the likelihood of going through a whole season with your first choice team available is virtually impossible nowadays. We have different ways of looking at things and I prefer to think that we did well to have Virgil fit all season and that Shane Long finally showed why we paid why we paid £12m for him. Every cloud and all that....