• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

2 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

What are we waiting to see? Is it 5,10,50 years for the benefits?

I refer the honourable gentleman to an interview between Channel 4 news anchor Krishnan Guru-Murthy and the Victorian melodrama villain that is Jacob Rees-Mogg;

Rees-Mogg: “We will know at some point, of course we will. But it’s a question of timescale.”

Guru-Murthy: “So how long have you got?”

Rees-Mogg: “We won’t know the full economic consequences for a very long time, we really won’t.”

Guru-Murthy: “Of course not, but I mean we’ll have an indication. We’ll know if there’s been chaos, we’ll know if there have been job losses.”

Rees-Mogg: “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years.”

14 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I refer the honourable gentleman to an interview between Channel 4 news anchor Krishnan Guru-Murthy and the Victorian melodrama villain that is Jacob Rees-Mogg;

Rees-Mogg: “We will know at some point, of course we will. But it’s a question of timescale.”

Guru-Murthy: “So how long have you got?”

Rees-Mogg: “We won’t know the full economic consequences for a very long time, we really won’t.”

Guru-Murthy: “Of course not, but I mean we’ll have an indication. We’ll know if there’s been chaos, we’ll know if there have been job losses.”

Rees-Mogg: “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years.”

This of course was quoted well before the referendum wasn’t it surely. We all knew this before we voted didn’t we.

6 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

This of course was quoted well before the referendum wasn’t it surely. We all knew this before we voted didn’t we.

You have to remember that this is the same JRM whose investment company moved a large chunk of it's assets to EU bases before 'Freedom Day', having described Brexit as 'a risk' in a prospectus for investors.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

The last five years have been wonderful for the country haven’t they?

Whatever you think the last 5 years have delivered for the country, with hindsight they will look wonderful when looking back in comparison to the next 5.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Antrimsaint said:

The last five years have been wonderful for the country haven’t they?

5 years since the referendum and how right the Brexiters were.

The NHS is getting an extra £350m a week, Turkey’s joined the EU, no-one threatened our place in the Single Market, Northern Ireland is fine and we got a better deal than the one we had because we held all the cards.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, John B said:

5 years since the referendum and how right the Brexiters were.

The NHS is getting an extra £350m a week, Turkey’s joined the EU, no-one threatened our place in the Single Market, Northern Ireland is fine and we got a better deal than the one we had because we held all the cards.

I'm just glad no one talks about Leave and Remain any more.

And no one complains about the EU these days because we are completely independent and free of them.

Personally I'd forgotten all about the EU. Is it even a thing? It's a distant memory, like Sega Dreamcast or something.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

spacer.png

Odd that you would state the last 5 years haven't been wonderful - I thought you liked the EU?

The country has taken a swerve hard right unless you think Patel is a beacon of progress. And yes I love being European. No little Englander can take that away.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

The country has taken a swerve hard right unless you think Patel is a beacon of progress. And yes I love being European. No little Englander can take that away.

Lucky you have two passports then.

Why not make use of your European one and stop fucking moaning about the UK?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

And there we have it. So predictable. If you don’t like it leave lol.

Because mate, it’s my country as well and you do not have the monopoly on how people should think. 

The country I love will return once this black cloud of backwards ignorance and populism is banished. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

As I have a UK passport, presumably it is OK for me to moan if I feel it necessary ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Antrimsaint said:

Because mate, it’s my country as well........

Not to those Little Englanders who prefer to view jocks, sweaties, taffs, micks, and paddies as second class Britons benefitting from association with the English.

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I'm just glad no one talks about Leave and Remain any more.

And no one complains about the EU these days because we are completely independent and free of them.

Personally I'd forgotten all about the EU. Is it even a thing? It's a distant memory, like Sega Dreamcast or something.

Well here's something to remind you, you unpatriotic remoaner.  Courtesy of Great Gavin Williamson of Great British Education, here's 'Brexit Belongs to Me!'  Get on your feet NOW!! (Saluting optional)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KAWylrnlvA

3 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

And there we have it. So predictable. If you don’t like it leave lol.

Because mate, it’s my country as well and you do not have the monopoly on how people should think. 

The country I love will return once this black cloud of backwards ignorance and populism is banished. 

And there we have it.

Why did you mention that you would be alright because you have two passports if you have no intention of using your second one.

Edited by Weston Super Saint

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

As I have a UK passport, presumably it is OK for me to moan if I feel it necessary ?

Only for a few more days - after that you've missed the boat and won't be allowed to live in the EU...

At that point you'll have made your bed, so will have to lie in it.

You could try and change the situation instead of moaning though if it bothers you that much, set up a rejoin campaign...

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

And there we have it.

Why did you mention that you would be alright because you have two passports if you have no intention of using your second one.

To prove that although it doesn’t directly affect me I still care how it affects everyone else here. Remember the point I made is that it doesn’t affect you directly so you don’t care with you wait and see philosophy. Some farmers, fishermen and businesses don’t have the option to wait and see.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Only for a few more days - after that you've missed the boat and won't be allowed to live in the EU...

At that point you'll have made your bed, so will have to lie in it.

You could try and change the situation instead of moaning though if it bothers you that much, set up a rejoin campaign...

I don't want to live on the continent, I am quite content as a British citizen and resident. As for 'making my bed', leaving wasn't my choice, you made it for me.

( If I didn't moan occasionally about the situation you and your fellows have created, you wouldn't get half as many opportunities to post on here ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antrimsaint said:

Profile pic a face only a mother could love. It’s terrifying 

It’s only one of the most famous men that ever lived, whose looks  literally had millions of chicks screaming and wetting their pants. Other than that, great point well made Studly 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s only one of the most famous men that ever lived, whose looks  literally had millions of chicks screaming and wetting their pants. Other than that, great point well made Studly 

Sorry, no idea 🤷‍♂️. Does look like a zombie from the walking Dead. 
I also forgot you were a lady.

10 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I might be wrong, but you can get still Visas to live/work in Europe? Just like going to live and work in the States, Canada...Australia etc.

8 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I might be wrong, but you can get still Visas to live/work in Europe? Just like going to live and work in the States, Canada...Australia etc.

Which isn't particularly easy to achieve.  We literally had the freedom to work or live anywhere in Europe, which we now don't.  It's a huge loss, especially for young people who want to go and do something different.

30 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Which isn't particularly easy to achieve.  We literally had the freedom to work or live anywhere in Europe, which we now don't.  It's a huge loss, especially for young people who want to go and do something different.

Personally don't mind the change, importing skilled workers than just anyone is a better system.

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Personally don't mind the change, importing skilled workers than just anyone is a better system.

What's that got to do with Brits' abilities to go and work in Europe as many would like to?

And anyway the immigration side will soon loosen when they realise we need lots of unskilled labour in this country, unless you're suggesting that work will be picked up by Brits/skilled immigrants?

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

What's that got to do with Brits' abilities to go and work in Europe as many would like to?

And anyway the immigration side will soon loosen when they realise we need lots of unskilled labour in this country, unless you're suggesting that work will be picked up by Brits/skilled immigrants?

Not much - sorry misread your answer!

On 14/07/2020 at 16:45, hypochondriac said:

I love this argument based entirely on hypotheticals. Maybe let's revisit it when something significant actually happens like if all the networks actually introduce roaming charges. So far they don't have any plans to so I fail to see why its of such interest to people desperate to point to it as a negative of leaving. 

Ah well. Data roaming charges to be reintroduced by BT / EE from next January.

Another cost to most people of Brexit. 

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

Or we could all go on holiday and leave our phones (and our worries) behind for two weeks, just like we used to in the good old days... ;) #firstworldproblems

If you are talking about holidays like "the good old days" you would confine yourself to the likes of Bognor or (God forbid :-)) Weston Super Mud. Abroad and roaming charges would just be for foreigners.

Edited by Tamesaint

4 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Absolute horseshit! The youth mobility / working holiday visa is available for all 18-25 year olds in the UK to work in Europe for 1 to 2 years.  Nothing stopping those young people from doing something different in the EU or further afield.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

This I agree with completely, however, it'll probably take a couple of years before anything is implemented and only when it's obvious the labour market is totally screewed!

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Absolute horseshit! The youth mobility / working holiday visa is available for all 18-25 year olds in the UK to work in Europe for 1 to 2 years.  Nothing stopping those young people from doing something different in the EU or further afield.

This I agree with completely, however, it'll probably take a couple of years before anything is implemented and only when it's obvious the labour market is totally screewed!

There are several limitations with the youth mobility visa, it's no way near the same thing.

Glad we agree on the immigration thing, I think the hard brexiteers will have a bit of shock when unskilled workers floor in from non-EU countries to compensate.

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So 26 year olds or older or people who want to have a career in Europe wouldnt be covered?

59 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Ah well. Data roaming charges to be reintroduced by BT / EE from next January.

Another cost to most people of Brexit. 

Luckily the market can do its thing and you can go elsewhere. I've always been with three who have always been free so it's not an issue. 

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Luckily the market can do its thing and you can go elsewhere. I've always been with three who have always been free so it's not an issue. 

Might be free currently, but they are changing the level of service;

"Meanwhile, Three has lowered its EU roaming data limit from 20GB to 12GB to bring it in line with non-European destinations included in its offer. Any excess data will be subject to 0.3p per MB, or £3 per GB."

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/o2-denies-eu-data-limit-signals-return-of-roaming-after-brexit

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

Might be free currently, but they are changing the level of service;

"Meanwhile, Three has lowered its EU roaming data limit from 20GB to 12GB to bring it in line with non-European destinations included in its offer. Any excess data will be subject to 0.3p per MB, or £3 per GB."

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/o2-denies-eu-data-limit-signals-return-of-roaming-after-brexit

Lol, roaming!  Welcome to the 90's!

So many alternatives to roaming these days - whatsapp, video calling and pretty much every web based application negate the need for roaming as long as there is a wifi connection - even in the most backwards of countries in the EU you can get free wifi in coffee shops, supermarkets, restaurants etc etc!

Anyone 'caught' by roaming charges these days deserves to have their money taken from them!

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So many alternatives to roaming these days - whatsapp, video calling and pretty much every web based application negate the need for roaming as long as there is a wifi connection - even in the most backwards of countries in the EU you can get free wifi in coffee shops, supermarkets, restaurants etc etc!

Anyone 'caught' by roaming charges these days deserves to have their money taken from them!

Don't you need data if you want to look at a map, or trip advisor or even WhatsApp on a beach or the street?

It's not the 90s anymore mate.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Have you not been abroad lately? Countries are far from being like the uk and giving out free WiFi. France has always been bad.

• Like 3