• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

2 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Goodness Whitey, I know. subtlety is a hard thing to get on a board. By feigning confusion at that persona’s sterling wit I was hoping to negate the instant gratification they were screaming for their ‘humour’. By having to explain the joke it would have nullified the perceived dagger into my heart.

You did Weston’s job for him. 

By picking up on spelling mistakes he thinks he is being an intellectual when all he’s really doing is acting out the intellectual ability of a seven year old spelling monitor because he is ‘dameged’ (ps did I spell it wrong?)

ps he can’t debate the inevitable car crash that is Brexit so has to bring down the participants in the debate. It’s a simple , well worn tactic of the righties.

I take everything at face value until proved otherwise. Even people.

4 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Weston - what are your views on our chances this season? Did you see the result at Newcastle as 2 points dropped or a point gained at the last minute?

You have a view on every subject under the sun - but never comment on Saints. Very strange for a football forum. 😉😃😄

2 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/02/brexit-uk-food-drink-exports-eu-disastrous-decline

Fake news peddled by a left leaning newspaper or reality discuss. 

Seems like a serious story backed up by fact checked sources and statistics. I would go with Reality. If I want fake news I’ll go to Gbeebies 

Financial service exports to the European Union rose in the months after Britain left the EU despite warnings that the City would be hit by a collapse in trade, official figures show. The bloc imported 1.4pc more from UK banks, insurers and other finance firms in the first three months of the year compared with the same period of 2019, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS). It omitted 2020 due to Covid distortions. The figures undermine claims by chief executives and politicians that Brexit would devastate the Square Mile's ability to trade with the Continent. Instead, European firms' appear to have suffered most of the damage. Financial services exports from the EU to the UK slumped by more than a third, predominantly hitting companies in Ireland, France and the Netherlands. A mass exodus of jobs from the City to the Continent has also failed to materialise post-Brexit, despite the former boss of the London Stock Exchange warning that as many as 232,000 could disappear.  

Read all about it here, leavers, I mean losers...

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

Read all about it here, leavers, I mean losers...

Posting at 3am again. Hope all is good in the alcohol and mental health front. 

Financial services exports to the EU increased by 1.4% over a two year period when inflation was 2.9%. Which means they fell by 1.5%, not rose. If you add that reduction to the reversal of the growth trend before Brexit, you have a very very different picture.

"Brexit shrank UK services exports by more than £110bn over a four-year period, new research shows, highlighting the far-reaching trade implications of Britain’s decision to break away from the EU. Experts at Aston University in Birmingham found that UK services exports from 2016 to 2019 were cumulatively £113bn lower than they would have been had the UK not voted to quit the EU in June 2016."

https://www.ft.com/content/20a626ab-d221-43e6-9990-bfd1e1ff132d

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 2

Warrior, whilst I agree with the sentiment behind your banging of the drum, "I told you so" won't reverse the referendum result, schadenfreude isn't as much fun when you are stuck in the consequences of somebody else's actions, and Covid gives the Leavers an effective smokescreen and something else to blame.

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Fucking Brexit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58443653.amp

Furniture giant Ikea is struggling to supply about 1,000 product lines as a shortage of HGV drivers continues to hit businesses.

Was a shortage before brexit... So what was the cause then? Hgv drivers have been in decline for the last decade at least.. Germany have had declining numbers since 2010... In 2018 they had a shortage of 30k drivers, france 20k, Denmark 2-3 k sweden 3-4 k norway 2k... Germany expect upto 20 k drivers to retire this year or next.. Wonder how much brexit had to do with that... Dont believe the narrative in the news... Even the US has an hgv driver shortage problem.. Not every thing is because of brexit... 

3 hours ago, Mosin said:

Was a shortage before brexit... So what was the cause then? Hgv drivers have been in decline for the last decade at least.. Germany have had declining numbers since 2010... In 2018 they had a shortage of 30k drivers, france 20k, Denmark 2-3 k sweden 3-4 k norway 2k... Germany expect upto 20 k drivers to retire this year or next.. Wonder how much brexit had to do with that... Dont believe the narrative in the news... Even the US has an hgv driver shortage problem.. Not every thing is because of brexit... 

Apologies, maybe my sarcasm didn't come across too well.

I assumed this was the right thread to pick any topic where any bad news regarding the economy or labour force can be blamed on 'brexit'.

4 hours ago, Mosin said:

So 25000 drivers returning to the EU had no effect?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Warrior, whilst I agree with the sentiment behind your banging of the drum, "I told you so" won't reverse the referendum result, schadenfreude isn't as much fun when you are stuck in the consequences of somebody else's actions, and Covid gives the Leavers an effective smokescreen and something else to blame.

I understand this but it would be nice if the brexishitters could acknowledge their folly. I don’t see them posting any of  the great brexshit benefits.

17 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

I understand this but it would be nice if the brexishitters could acknowledge their folly. I don’t see them posting any of  the great brexshit benefits.

I voted leave and acknowledge it was a shit decision. There are no benefits that I can see. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, egg said:

I voted leave and acknowledge it was a shit decision. There are no benefits that I can see. 

I voted leave and said at the time that I didn't think that scrapping 'freedom of movement' for work was a wise decision, but accepted that it came as part of the 'package'.

I think we've got a lot more pain on the way, especially in the low skilled / low paid sectors, which will only be solved by a complete overhaul of the benefits system (unlikely) or a U-turn from the Government on allowing EU workers (probably equally unlikely in the short term!).

The issue with regards to HGV drivers is more complex than boriersaint's simplistic 'blame it on Brexit' stance and is a convoluted mix of Covid (and the back log of tests), Brexit (and the EU drivers that returned back to the EU) and traditionally long hours for little reward making the job unattractive and putting many people off paying for the tuition needed to become qualified (an issue that has been exacerbated with the introduction of CPC courses and the additional costs entailed), as well as our 'comsumer society' that relies heavily on the movement of goods.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ecuk268 said:

So 25000 drivers returning to the EU had no effect?

It’s made the immediate problem a lot worse - although as others have posted there’s a structural problem with training investment, pay, conditions by firms nationally and globally which was looming. The pandemic has delayed the taking of driving tests for HGVs which then delays a cohort of new drivers who would have got the initial hours in on their licences and could be active. I think with the greener vehicles coming onto the market it can be an attractive career option again if the employers pull their fingers out. A couple of friends who love it have retired from driving HGVs as they are sick of unrealistic expectations/routing and dangerously short stops even pre COVID.

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2021/07/almost-3000-lorry-drivers-plan-strike-over-working-conditions/?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=pmd_KqXcXkiHSFyXz0qF7dM5ldA0pXXWQuMXIjkXE7EDmmw-1630952619-0-gqNtZGzNAjujcnBszQfR

To overcome some of the shorter term issues, the Prime Minister appointing a Business Secretary who understands something of the real world beyond the Lobby Rooms might help. Anyone who doesn’t think lorry drivers are a skilled profession shouldn’t be allowed to sit on a parish council let alone be a cabinet minister https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-businesses-frustrated-as-government-rejects-plea-to-loosen-visa-rules-for-lorry-drivers-amid-supply-chain-crisis-12392986

10 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I voted leave and said at the time that I didn't think that scrapping 'freedom of movement' for work was a wise decision, but accepted that it came as part of the 'package'.

I think we've got a lot more pain on the way, especially in the low skilled / low paid sectors, which will only be solved by a complete overhaul of the benefits system (unlikely) or a U-turn from the Government on allowing EU workers (probably equally unlikely in the short term!).

The issue with regards to HGV drivers is more complex than boriersaint's simplistic 'blame it on Brexit' stance and is a convoluted mix of Covid (and the back log of tests), Brexit (and the EU drivers that returned back to the EU) and traditionally long hours for little reward making the job unattractive and putting many people off paying for the tuition needed to become qualified (an issue that has been exacerbated with the introduction of CPC courses and the additional costs entailed), as well as our 'comsumer society' that relies heavily on the movement of goods.

Our posts just crossed but many of the same views are present.

You make a valid point on further pain around lower paid posts to come - social care has a vacancy backlog somebody told me who works for the NHS of 1.6m. Don’t know if that’s true but Boris’s worries about his Red Wall MPs complaining about the NI top up hitting the lowest paid hardest could be a drop in the ocean if a recruitment and visa skill problem many times the magnitude is around the corner. 

Ideology and dogma is about to be challenged by practicalities politicians prefer to ignore, which slogans won’t make go away.

26 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

To overcome some of the shorter term issues, the Prime Minister appointing a Business Secretary who understands something of the real world beyond the Lobby Rooms might help. Anyone who doesn’t think lorry drivers are a skilled profession shouldn’t be allowed to sit on a parish council let alone be a cabinet minister https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-businesses-frustrated-as-government-rejects-plea-to-loosen-visa-rules-for-lorry-drivers-amid-supply-chain-crisis-12392986

So what is he actually doing to solve the problem? If they're not going to relax the visa rules then where is the 100000 shortfall coming from especially, as you say, wages and conditions need to be much improved.  

I was surprised to learn that, if there is a hold up at the container port, trucks have to sit and wait, possibly for hours, with no facilities whatsoever. Drivers have to pee in a bottle. How much would it cost to put up a small toilet block?

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Lies, lies, lies.

So, what else would you expect ? Politicians as a group are untrustworthy dissemblers, and Boris stands head and shoulders above his colleagues as somebody who will say anything to suit his immediate audience without actually meaning a single syllable.