• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

6 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

The NI protocol will sink the current agreement as the only way it’s solved is the single market. That’s the compromise. The ERG nutters get to keep the immigrants out and keep their blue passports but trade will be tariff free again.

You don’t know what you’re talking about, do you? 

You shouldn’t really be contributing to this thread if you believe you can be in the single market, and “keep the immigrants out”. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You don’t know what you’re talking about, do you? 

You shouldn’t really be contributing to this thread if you believe you can be in the single market, and “keep the immigrants out”. 

Its an evolving negotiation. Keep up. Enough sneering. You can be in the single market for trade and still restrict freedom of movement. Its what the EU offered. 
Do me a favour and watch Patrick Kielty’s show. “ 100 years of Union” on the Iplayer shown last night with an open mind and tell me what you think.

Edited by Warriorsaint

8 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

You're kidding right.

Nope.

Brexit is done and dusted, over, finished with, there's even a clue in the title of this thread.

I've never said that means we can't renegotiate terms now that Brexit is done. Indeed, isn't that one of the benefits of Brexit that we are able to negotiate trade deals, even the ones we have with the EU?

38 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Nope.

Brexit is done and dusted, over, finished with, there's even a clue in the title of this thread.

I've never said that means we can't renegotiate terms now that Brexit is done. Indeed, isn't that one of the benefits of Brexit that we are able to negotiate trade deals, even the ones we have with the EU?

You're starting to get it now.

Ive just read in the Express (only there for the open mouth gawping honest) that imperial weights and measures are coming back. Got to be untrue surely? If it is true then its absolute proof this Government will say and do anything for a few crumbly votes regardless of how damaging or stupid. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1492530/brexit-live-news-boris-johnson-pounds-ounces-metric-eu-news-france-germany-macron

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Ive just read in the Express (only there for the open mouth gawping honest) that imperial weights and measures are coming back. Got to be untrue surely? If it is true then its absolute proof this Government will say and do anything for a few crumbly votes regardless of how damaging or stupid. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1492530/brexit-live-news-boris-johnson-pounds-ounces-metric-eu-news-france-germany-macron

By now the majority of the population have never lived with most imperial measures, other than miles and pints.  All pre-packed goods are sold in Kg or litres. The only produce that is legally defined as measured in imperial units are beer and cider.

Edited by badgerx16

40 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

By now the majority of the population have never lived with most imperial measures, other than miles and pints.  All pre-packed goods are sold in Kg or litres. The only produce that is legally defined as measured in imperial units are beer and cider.

The majority of the fish industry still uses Imperial weights.

3 hours ago, Mosin said:

Freedom of movemonet ( if you remeber the democratic country you live in voted to stop this as it is not best for the country, just low wages which helps the small 3% of the rich ) , dont bother me or care dont go on holiday to europe, and it hampers me by drivng down my wages and the rest of the UK labor force, the people who get food on your table the ones forgotten about during the pandemic.... Tarif free trade? Its not tarif free as we have to pay into the eu kitty and accept eu rules and regulations and abide by eu courts, stop telling lies. No roaming charges, i dont pay any as i dont go nor does my provider charge me (atm) and when it does if i want it i can just pay 2 pound for an add on, its not so expensive that i cant pay for it out of my 40k pay rise a year. 

Whats the point in training kids and giving them a great education if jobs are reserved for exp'ed ppl and cheaper work force from europe? Dont know if you noticed, but youth unemployment is down since we left the Eu while it continues to climb all over the eu. My pet dont need a passport for the eu, i dont go or ever have intentions of going and you still need one to go to every other country not in the eu so your point is mute, again i asked how it will affect me and so far your failing and how it will make the country better, you have not shown me yet, just sprouting nonesense of so called perks i have never enjoyed nor will the population who also didnt go, prbs because low wages means they cant afford to save for one.... 

You mean taking 6 month longer than the rest of the world to buy life saving vaccines for its population....  Yep clearly much better block buying power full of red tape and delays and waiting for meetings always months down the line, then they buy them and tell its own population not to take them for political point scoring over the UK... cant even read and discuse contracts with vaccine producers correctly. Just in time deliverys... That that dont help the country, just poor managers who cant order the correct stock, which means a potential customer lose, no lose for the UK though as surely if one store has no tomatoes you would go to a different store... Cant picture people getting a taxi to eu for tomatoes cause just in time deliverys stopped hahaha. 

None of the rubbish you have said makes the UK better. 

Since brexit, wages have gone up, youth unemployment down.. More housing... More jobs.... Less unemployed.... Free to make trade deals with the rest of the world who are growing at a far faster pace than the eu. And its only been 9 months. 

If you think the EU is so great, move to it.. 

There are so many falsehoods and inaccuracies in there that it would take too long to refute them all but if you believe all this then it’s no wonder that you might have voted to leave.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

There are so many falsehoods and inaccuracies in there that it would take too long to refute them all but if you believe all this then it’s no wonder that you might have voted to leave.

But as he keeps telling us, he is £40k better off post-Brexit so...........something.

Edited by badgerx16

18 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Only at the quayside.

That may be true.  Not sure you can argue about all packaging being marked in metric when the only reason we have this is to abide by the EU laws in place when we were members of the EU.  Surely the fact that we 'can' now change our system is another benefit of Brexit?

The comment about beer and cider is also misleading as pre-packaged (canned or kegged) product must be in litres under the same EU laws.  Free poured can be sold in pints / half pints but must be dispensed in a stamped glass or using a stamped 'measure'.  But this would also apply to 'loose' goods sold over the counter or on restaurant menus such as half a pound of strawberries or an 8oz steak etc.

Wouldn't changing our weights and measures be useful to align ourselves with the world's largest economy, especially when it comes to trading food / drink etc?

9 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Wouldn't changing our weights and measures be useful to align ourselves with the world's largest economy, especially when it comes to trading food / drink etc?

How much of the World trades in metric ? All of it bar the US, Liberia, and Myanmar. How much of our industry and packaging infrastructure is going to retool for such a change, and who would pay ? Is this yet another Brexit "benefit" that will hit us in our pockets ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That may be true.  Not sure you can argue about all packaging being marked in metric when the only reason we have this is to abide by the EU laws in place when we were members of the EU.  Surely the fact that we 'can' now change our system is another benefit of Brexit?

The comment about beer and cider is also misleading as pre-packaged (canned or kegged) product must be in litres under the same EU laws.  Free poured can be sold in pints / half pints but must be dispensed in a stamped glass or using a stamped 'measure'.  But this would also apply to 'loose' goods sold over the counter or on restaurant menus such as half a pound of strawberries or an 8oz steak etc.

No. The world’s economy is larger than the world’s largest economy.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

We can't negotiate a trade deal with the world's economy. We can negotiate one with the world's largest economy.  Quite a difference....

This load of bollocks about imperial measures will make no difference to that sweetheart.

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You will be disappointed when you buy a US pint of beer, versus one in the UK. I doubt you can buy any drink in litres in the US, though.

The irony is the Americans copied and retained the early British standards whilst we incrementally changed ours. Theirs is more 'pure' than the 'historic' and 'traditional' UK one Brexiteers wet their pants over. And both of them are based on the French Avoirdupois system  - literally 'goods by weight' 

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

You will be disappointed when you buy a US pint of beer, versus one in the UK.

16 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

....same goes for a US vs UK gallon...

14 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

...pounds are the same, but stones are something you throw at Justin Trudeau...

Bloody hell, I need to lie down. I agree with GM.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

From what I gather the next steps will be to legalise sending small boys up chimneys and reintroducing polio!

No bad thing, gets them off their i-phones, although obviously girls would have to be included as well in the name of inclusivity.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

Next on post Brexit Bingo’s quest to bring back the 50’s is that all new Telly’s to be black and white only!

Absolutely hilarious, proof that you can still be funny without being rude, sexist, or racist. 

Keep em coming 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

23 minutes ago, whelk said:

What’s up with the fucking French recalling ambassadors?

Pissed off that the US and UK are helping Australia build nuclear powered submarines, which has led to Australia cancelling a contract for conventionally powered submarines they had with France.

Edited by badgerx16

23 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Pissed off that the US and UK are helping Australia build nuclear powered submarines, which has led to Australia cancelling a contract for conventionally powered submarines they had with France.

Always been a petulant bunch. Aussies are closest allies 

32 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The French are saying the Aussies originally wanted diesel powered subs which was what they were going to supply, now they've changed to nuclear powered so fucked off the French deal. Made me chuckle it did. Opinion is nuclear powered is a much better choice, if more expensive. The jolly old Chinese aren't too happy either way which adds to the merriment. Good for the UK this deal.

2 hours ago, whelk said:

image.thumb.png.e81a5f4729cc704d562055d103d05acd.png

No idea who Clive Savage is, but the Guardian suggest his figures are way off...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/02/uk-energy-bills-to-rise-after-record-wholesale-electricity-prices

The average market price reached £107.50/MWh, up 14% on July, and well above the previous record of £96/MWh recorded in the run-up to the 2008 global financial crisis.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

No idea who Clive Savage is, but the Guardian suggest his figures are way off...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/02/uk-energy-bills-to-rise-after-record-wholesale-electricity-prices

The £400 price was the "day ahead" spot market price;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-13/u-k-power-prices-hit-record-as-outages-low-winds-cut-supply

"Electricity prices soared to a record in Britain as a period of still weather is curbing wind power, exposing the U.K.’s reliance on intermittent renewables.

U.K. power for next day exceed 400 pounds ($553) a megawatt-hour at an auction on Monday, an all-time high. Wind generation is currently below normal, accounting for about 11% of all the electricity entering the grid. That’s leaving the market exposed to swings at a time five nuclear units are offline."

Currently UK spot price is between £250 and £280 per MWh, European prices are around €150-€170 per MWh

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

The £400 price was the "day ahead" spot market price;

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-13/u-k-power-prices-hit-record-as-outages-low-winds-cut-supply

"Electricity prices soared to a record in Britain as a period of still weather is curbing wind power, exposing the U.K.’s reliance on intermittent renewables.

U.K. power for next day exceed 400 pounds ($553) a megawatt-hour at an auction on Monday, an all-time high. Wind generation is currently below normal, accounting for about 11% of all the electricity entering the grid. That’s leaving the market exposed to swings at a time five nuclear units are offline."

Currently UK spot price is between £250 and £280 per MWh, European prices are around €150-€170 per MWh

Like I said, no idea who he is.

It looks like he's used an extreme for the UK versus an average for the EU which is misleading at best.

If only we hadn't abandoned nuclear power we would have had a stable, cheap supply of electricity that would have been carbon neutral....