Espanyol game

Give it to Ron

To put this to bed.

Only members of staff are allowed to walk pass security to the pitch area and this Burma, Kriss Akubusi or a player interested would not be allowed to do so.

It would be known by now if he had signed before walking in with Fonte.

I'm guessing Cedric's wife/girlfriend and Fonte's agent are our new attacking signings then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Benji says, it was a 4-4-2 diamond really - there were times that Tadic was the furthest forward, but in reality that was because Redmond and Long were trying to shut down their fullbacks.

The new formation seems to have a lot of emphasis on the two 'forwards' doing their fair share of covering/tracking. Just a well Redmond and Long are quick/fit, as they're going to need to be (along with the full backs)! I fear for Austin unfortunately.

Yep, I'd say that was more a 4-4-2. The only player who I think will be better suited to this system is Steven Davis, as when we play the 3 CMs I'm not sure he offers enough as a creator & goalscorer to be a guaranteed started in AM. However as one of the central pair, his box-to-box style and ability to start counter attacks could be ideal.

Possibly Hojbjerg and Romeu as the defensive midfielder, but not sure there's room for both which is a shame as I think they are looking like our two best defensive-minded midfielders. Long could do well as a second striker but not if he's spending most of the game chasing back full backs.

Edited by mrfahaji

Yep, I'd say that was more a 4-4-2. The only player who I think will be better suited to this system is Steven Davis, as when we play the 3 CMs I'm not sure he offers enough as a creator & goalscorer to be a guaranteed started in AM. However as one of the central pair, his box-to-box style and ability to start counter attacks could be ideal.

Possibly Hjobjerg and Romeu as the defensive midfielder, but not sure there's room for both which is a shame as I think they are looking like our two best defensive-minded midfielders. Long could do well as a second striker but not if he's spending most of the game chasing back full backs.

I quite liked JWP in the system too. He seemed a lot more confident (other than that brain fart aside in the itchen/chapel corner), took a few players on and got stuck in. I agree that Hojbjerg and Romeu have looked impressive and I think they can play together. I think Hojbjerg could be one of the two midfielders in front of the DCM, that run in the second half where he skinned half their team showed his got the skill and drive to play further forward.

That's my worry with the forwards - I was surprised at how much tracking they had to do, I thought it would have been more of the two CM's jobs to do. Though they did play 3-5-2 with wingbacks in the first half, so that might have had something to do with it.

Deinitely need another number 10 options - Tadic was great first half, but we really don't have anyone who could step into that role if he was injured. Plus I'd like another forward option, as currently I can only see Redmond and Long playing in formation. J-Rod of old could as well, but he still looks a shadow of himself :(

Just seen the highlights - jeez that was a soft penalty to call - no way that was a pen.

I don't have much of an issue with it being given as a foul, VVD does kick the guy's foot after the ball's gone, but the two angles shown on the highlights suggest it took place outside the area. But hey, it's Mike Dean, and he loves an elaborate penalty award. Just as well it's in a game that didn't have anything riding on it.

I don't have much of an issue with it being given as a foul, VVD does kick the guy's foot after the ball's gone, but the two angles shown on the highlights suggest it took place outside the area. But hey, it's Mike Dean, and he loves an elaborate penalty award. Just as well it's in a game that didn't have anything riding on it.

Hopefully "these things even themselves out" and Dean gives us a penalty during the season when we need it :lol:

A few more random points: I don't think anybody had a bad game last night, even Rodrigues who still doesn't seem back to 100%. Tadic looked fine after his last appalling friendly appearance. McQueen is not a fullback (yet) but he seems to be growing into the role and he certainly has a mature physique to cope if lacking in raw pace. Both fullbacks pushed up but we could do with some slightly better crossing. Redmond looked willing and sharp and will benefit from playing in a better team than Norwich. Austin got a header and a shot away but he's not a Pelle in his hold-up play. Hojbjerg looks the business and I'm not sure we shouldn't play him further forward with his driving runs with close control. I don't think that our midfield will be a problem. Yoshida's passing was great in his proper position and he was never put under pressure to make one of his characteristic mistakes.

All in all a good work-out against a decent side, and a lot better result than the last time we played Espanyol..

McQueen put a load of decent pacy crosses in late on and now I can see why they're trying him at LB, the problem being that with our current squad only Austin has the remotest possibility of winning a header in the box from open play.

Thought Hjobjerg (well done me for spelling it right, albeit without the line through the o) looked pretty good, always wanted the ball and moved it on well. Ward-Prowse was less skilled at picking the through ball today but still looks more accomplished than before, he's still improving. Clasie... was there... Harry Reed hasn't learned anything about not chopping people in half with late tackles, Redmond looked amazing early on and if we can work out how to get the ball to him will score loads cutting in from wide, Long was industrious, Van Dijk must be fed up with awful penalty decisions against him, Austin seemed fairly comfortable running with the ball but it's not his strength, Rodriguez looked a bit out of it, McCarthy made a couple of good saves but I have NO idea what the hell the defence was doing in the first minute of the second half with a bunch of head tennis faffery that nearly cost us a goal. Tadic had a decent free kick and one terrible corner. Everyone else was basically just there, very impressed with the pace of the passing and breaking, just need to get the through balls played before Redmond and Long run offside.

The starting XI did very well with the mid-field trio being simply outstanding Romeu is a man possessed, sure it was his old club so he was up for it. Clasie & JWP were tireless workers and notched up an impressive number of tackles to break up their play and with Tadic linking well at times we over ran their midfield. This looks like the starting XI against Watford. The mystery of Bertrand's absence grows and is worrying - presumably a training ground injury? - as this is a carbon copy of what happened to him last season. With Targett hobbled as well surely we cannot expect MacQueen to be our main left back? He was hopelessly off the pace all night. Good goalkeeping from them kept us out but we need to sharpen up in the final third.

Redmond? Mostly anonymous with occasional individual spurts but a long way to go before he is Henry. Who else noticed in the pre-match warm up how easily he was distracted and could not keep his attention focussed on what the coach was saying or asking him to do? Even his physical looseners were half-heartedly executed and minimal. If this is his attitude at a new club where he ought to be trying to impress then no wonder other clubs have not snapped him up before, he looks for all the world like a lazy lad with attitude and that's not good. Hope Black is a toughie.

All is not lost even if we are not the best we will be far from being the worst intros division.

The starting XI did very well with the mid-field trio being simply outstanding Romeu is a man possessed, sure it was his old club so he was up for it. Clasie & JWP were tireless workers and notched up an impressive number of tackles to break up their play and with Tadic linking well at times we over ran their midfield. This looks like the starting XI against Watford. The mystery of Bertrand's absence grows and is worrying - presumably a training ground injury? - as this is a carbon copy of what happened to him last season. With Targett hobbled as well surely we cannot expect MacQueen to be our main left back? He was hopelessly off the pace all night. Good goalkeeping from them kept us out but we need to sharpen up in the final third.

Redmond? Mostly anonymous with occasional individual spurts but a long way to go before he is Henry. Who else noticed in the pre-match warm up how easily he was distracted and could not keep his attention focussed on what the coach was saying or asking him to do? Even his physical looseners were half-heartedly executed and minimal. If this is his attitude at a new club where he ought to be trying to impress then no wonder other clubs have not snapped him up before, he looks for all the world like a lazy lad with attitude and that's not good. Hope Black is a toughie.

All is not lost even if we are not the best we will be far from being the worst intros division.

Puel said Bertrand had a minor knock and that he'd hopefully be available for Sunday so I'd hardly call it a mystery....

Im even more surprised at The Watford game virtually selling out already ... don't people realise we are in the middle of another #meltdown?

Hi Eric, giving us your traditional annual assessment of the season, I see. I noted that every year that you condemn us....we just get better and better....

so if you're right this time ......What do you think life will be like for Saints fans in the Championship in 2017-18 then ?

Hi Eric, giving us your traditional annual assessment of the season, I see. I noted that every year that you condemn us....we just get better and better....

so if you're right this time ......What do you think life will be like for Saints fans in the Championship in 2017-18 then ?

Not slagging us off at all ...... all said very much tongue in cheek, aimed at the press and bedwetters all saying we are having a meltdown.

Should have included a smiley I guess!! :D

Very harsh ..... though he was comfortably the best player on the pitch 1st half!

Not slagging us off at all ...... all said very much tongue in cheek, aimed at the press and bedwetters all saying we are having a meltdown.

Should have included a smiley I guess!! :D

It was pretty obvious to me that your comment was in jest...!

You are joking aren't you? Redmond gave their right back the runaround all game and showed real tight control when running with the ball. A good acquisition in my opinion.

I must have been watching a different game. Thought Redmond looked very promising.

Why take so much time to type out utter sh1te?

Agree McQueen started tentatively but disagree with "all night". He grew into the game each half, which is understandable playing in a new role against good opposition and with VVD in his ear asking for the ball. Once Davis and Austin were on they were encouraging him to go forward and by the end he was skinning the right back. He deserves a chance to grow into the role and think he would be a useful backup to Betrand IMHO.

BTW you're off the pace with spelling his name. It's on his back and in the programme and squad listings on Twitter. ;-)

How funny from the bloke who likes to correct other people and their spelling! :lol: No doubt he'll come along and say transpositional error not a spelling mistake...

Glad you thought it was funny, that was the intention... though possibly not quite like that.

Of the academy players that have taken part in the friendlies this pre season, are their any that seems like they could be part of the team on a regulair basis? Saw

the names of McQueen and Alfie Jones being menthioned quite often.

none will get in the team on a regular basis.