Espanyol game

Give it to Ron

Anybody know if this is Espanyol's first XI or a bit of a mix-and-match? They're at Everton on Saturday, so clearly they'll be putting all their effort into that one against such a MASSIVE opponent :rolleyes:

Bet they can't wait to see the dugouts.

Anybody know if this is Espanyol's first XI or a bit of a mix-and-match? They're at Everton on Saturday, so clearly they'll be putting all their effort into that one against such a MASSIVE opponent :rolleyes:

Suspect that they will all want to be in the dugout Saturday given the historical significance.

The 20 mins I saw we looked OK, they had a lot of men behind the ball and we tried hard to break them down. Nothing spectacular but a decent workout. Hopefully we'll put out a full strength side Saturday and we can we what we're made of for the season.

I remember going to see us play Espanyol in our final pre-season friendly in the first ever game at St Mary's. Perhaps the most worrying half of football I've ever seen! Imagine the meltdown on here if we'd gone 4-0 down this evening...

My thoughts: Redmond very lively could have scored two looks a good signing tried too hard second half. Like him though and will lift crowd.

Our system requires decent full backs but ours again showed little end product.

Austin worries me as can't play this system looks slow and cumbersome but does the business around the box.

Sjojberg looks a good player. Romeu awesome but just always that one wincing tackle

McCarthy made a couple of good saves.

Game petered out at times but with another good forward some optimism with Tadic looking interested and creative tonight.

Yosh had a good game VVD strolled it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Romeu looked very good tonight staking his claim well, the goal was a bonus for him. Tadic, Redmond and Long linking up well, more to come but good signs. Lots of space on the wings and so with our two regular LB and RB on the pitch I think we can offer a lot more threat going forwards. Cuco had to keep stopping his run to get it on his left foot. McQueen naturally not as confident going forward yet. First half was the real indicator and we looked pretty good, some positive signs. Despite not having our best defense out they didn't ever look like doing much. Personal opinion is that Charlie is going to be off the bench option. I really want Clasie to do well but signs in pre season so far are that Hojberg could quickly have his starting place away from him.

In my opinion and like most people have already said we need an alternative playmaker option if Tadic is out or tired, when he went off we lost most of our creativity. We also need a pacy striker so we don't have to rely on Redmond and Long to be fit for every game until January.

Romeu looked very good tonight staking his claim well, the goal was a bonus for him. Tadic, Redmond and Long linking up well, more to come but good signs. Lots of space on the wings and so with our two regular LB and RB on the pitch I think we can offer a lot more threat going forwards. Cuco had to keep stopping his run to get it on his left foot. McQueen naturally not as confident going forward yet. First half was the real indicator and we looked pretty good, some positive signs. Despite not having our best defense out they didn't ever look like doing much. Personal opinion is that Charlie is going to be off the bench option. I really want Clasie to do well but signs in pre season so far are that Hojberg could quickly have his starting place away from him.

In my opinion and like most people have already said we need an alternative playmaker option if Tadic is out or tired, when he went off we lost most of our creativity. We also need a pacy striker so we don't have to rely on Redmond and Long to be fit for every game until January.

Totally agree with you - I so want Clasie to do well but we don't need him JWP and Romeu at same time he just doesn't offer anything offensively. He reads it well and can link but that's Davis role, defensive is Romeu so he needs to do more for me for the team especially at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most promising thing for me was Hojberg. Great awareness, receives and carries the ball very well and made himself available.

The lad looks like he's going to be one hell of a player. Ability, awareness, touch, composure, movement, range of passing. Just looks so comfortable. I think we have signed an absolute gem.

For a friendly I thought that it was quite an entertaining game. The passing in the first half was dazzling. I thought that JWP was outstanding tonight - Puell seems to have worked some magic already. I actually thought that, even with a team full of youngsters, we matched Espanyol for possession and technical ability, Yoshida looked good - I think that the fast passing game suits him. Cuko (sp?) was steady but did not take anyone on. Romeu - our Wanyana replacement but with goals; Hojberg - our Schneiderlan replacement. Virgil oozes class but we already knew that. I thought that almost all our players had a decent game and formed the opinion that we have a decent squad emerging

Definitely could be. Only problem is it looks nothing like him. Other than that though...

I agree...the guy in the photo on the left is white. And I think it is Fonte. The guy in the photo on the right is clearly black. I can't believe people mix these things up. Total racists.

To put this to bed.

Only members of staff are allowed to walk pass security to the pitch area and this Burma, Kriss Akubusi or a player interested would not be allowed to do so.

It would be known by now if he had signed before walking in with Fonte.

To put this to bed.

Only members of staff are allowed to walk pass security to the pitch area and this Burma, Kriss Akubusi or a player interested would not be allowed to do so.

I thought it was confirmed it is Josh Debayo from the under 21's.

To put this to bed.

The player has already been named on another thread.

To put this to bed.

You'd have thought so anyway...! Don't think it looks like Debayo - surely most likely a member of the backroom staff or stadium team.

Back on topic - a friend who went to the game said we played 4-3-3, with Long on the wing and Tadic centrally for part of the game. For those also at the game, is that right?

You'd have thought so anyway...! Don't think it looks like Debayo - surely most likely a member of the backroom staff or stadium team.

Back on topic - a friend who went to the game said we played 4-3-3, with Long on the wing and Tadic centrally for part of the game. For those also at the game, is that right?

-----------------------GK-------------------------

Martina----Yoshida--VVD-----McQueen

------------------------Romeu------------------------

-------------Clasie--------------JWP---------------

------------------------Tadic-------------------------

--------Long-----------------------Redmond------

You can call that a 433 if you like, or a diamond formation.

What is noticeable is the lack of a focal-point striker. Tadic played well though.

As Benji says, it was a 4-4-2 diamond really - there were times that Tadic was the furthest forward, but in reality that was because Redmond and Long were trying to shut down their fullbacks.

The new formation seems to have a lot of emphasis on the two 'forwards' doing their fair share of covering/tracking. Just a well Redmond and Long are quick/fit, as they're going to need to be (along with the full backs)! I fear for Austin unfortunately.