Describe this window in just 5 words

Fitzhugh Fella

We're playing Inter fcking Milan at the San Siro. What's wrong with you people?

and we sold our best fcking players which helped us get there, to be replaced with potential, let's hope the potential is good enough.

Surely they could have managed one player that is proven to excite us.

I bet Bournemouth fans are buzzing over Wilshere arriving, should fill a few more seats in their stadium.

The more you spend, the probability is, you'll get better and/or more players; would you agree with that principle?

Do you think our transfer incomings (both quality and quantity) are as good as they could possibly be?

We have bought pretty well with good quality but not overpaid, of course we could have bought more players and perhaps we tried.

Would you spend some of the figures some of the teams paid...?

Sissoko= £30m...really

Bolasie = £30m... lol

Does paying more always get you success...no

and we sold our best fcking players which helped us get there, to be replaced with potential, let's hope the potential is good enough.

Surely they could have managed one player that is proven to excite us.

I bet Bournemouth fans are buzzing over Wilshere arriving, should fill a few more seats in their stadium.

Untill the glass man gets injured again and occupys a slot in the treatment room.....

Dont get the hype about him....average...

Some interesting analysis done here > https://www.uk.capgemini.com/blog/business-analytics-blog/2016/06/how-much-do-you-need-to-spend-to-win-the-premier-league-by

Unsurprisingly yes to compete you do need to spend money unless you are hoping for another miracle like Leicester

Perhaps the "miracle" was down to the massive spenders buys not being so succesfull

Agree with this. Why not just be open and say "we're paying down debt / planning for a new ground / paying off contracts etc but we will be nett spenders again next year" (or whenever). Most fans appreciate the truth and are alienated by CL crap that is totally detached from reality and the club's actions.
I'd agree with that. For a club trying to "build a brand", it doesn't do the club's image or reputation much good.

Equally though, I wouldn't expect them to come out and tell the world details of plans that maybe aren't yet confirmed on need to be kept confidential for the time being. Who knows, something in-between maybe, but it is an odd approach. And overall I'm very happy with the way the club are run and the people running it, just find this approach, consistent across summers, a bit odd.

We have bought pretty well with good quality but not overpaid, of course we could have bought more players and perhaps we tried.

Would you spend some of the figures some of the teams paid...?

Sissoko= £30m...really

Bolasie = £30m... lol

Does paying more always get you success...no

No-one has said paying more always gets you success, but that it usually gets you more success, that's a fact, why dispute that?

If in your opinion we could have brought in more quality/quantity but haven't, why do you think that is?

Perhaps the "miracle" was down to the massive spenders buys not being so succesfull

You will always find some examples where clubs waste money (Newcastle last season) and you will see examples where clubs don't spend a lot but do OK (us last season)

But the trend leans heavily on the more you spend the better you do - the facts support this and surprised you would try to dispute that?

The window is closed now so we can't do anything but support the team we have. I hope we do well and hope we over achieve again. It's hope rather than expectation

I'd agree with that. For a club trying to "build a brand", it doesn't do the club's image or reputation much good.

Equally though, I wouldn't expect them to come out and tell the world details of plans that maybe aren't yet confirmed on need to be kept confidential for the time being. Who knows, something in-between maybe, but it is an odd approach. And overall I'm very happy with the way the club are run and the people running it, just find this approach, consistent across summers, a bit odd.

Overall Im happy too. Im just a bit concerned Les has developed a belief that he / the club have got the Midas touch and that you can always replace successful managers and players with no problem and no risk.

No-one has said paying more always gets you success, but that it usually gets you more success, that's a fact, why dispute that?

If in your opinion we could have brought in more quality/quantity but haven't, why do you think that is?

I said paying more does not ALWAYS get you success, so i am not disputing it just pointing out its not guaranteed

Liverpool have spent loads in recent years and won nothing

Re your quantity/quality bit:

Perhaps the quality we wanted and could afford were unavailable...

I said paying more does not ALWAYS get you success, so i am not disputing it just pointing out its not guaranteed

Liverpool have spent loads in recent years and won nothing

Re your quantity/quality bit:

Perhaps the quality we wanted and could afford were unavailable...

Well who are you arguing with, as no-one said it guarantees success?

So you think that for the last three summers there have been players we've wanted to bring in, but have been unable to get them to leave their current clubs and we were unable to source any others. Always possible I guess, just pretty unlikely.

Hmm. Choices choices. Who to get on a freebie - Wilshere or Pied?

Know only very little about Pied and would be wrong to pass judgement after witnessing only a part appearance.

Regarding Wilshere, he has had some decent performances but they were a long time ago but more recently he has been injured

more than playing but when he has i feel he has been average to poor.

So all about opinions...

Well who are you arguing with, as no-one said it guarantees success?

So you think that for the last three summers there have been players we've wanted to bring in, but have been unable to get them to leave their current clubs and we were unable to source any others. Always possible I guess, just pretty unlikely.

Not arguing with anyone... just responding to comments an questions...

Possibly, who knows, hence me saying perhaps..

Untill the glass man gets injured again and occupys a slot in the treatment room.....

Dont get the hype about him....average...

Average? Youngest player to play for Arsenal, 2 FA Cups, represented England at U16, U17, U19, U21 and 34 full caps under two different managers, played in the World Cup Finals and European Championships. Average indeed.

Average? Youngest player to play for Arsenal, 2 FA Cups, represented England at U16, U17, U19, U21 and 34 full caps under two different managers, played in the World Cup Finals and European Championships. Average indeed.

In the past yes, now average to poor......

You dont agree, up to you...

Why do you think we're the only club that can't attract or source the players we feel we need?

Who has stated that spending more guarantees success?

No one says guaranteed, you said "likely" i said "does not always"

We are not the only club, are you suggesting every other club gets all of the players they want ...surely not?

No one says guaranteed, you said "likely" i said "does not always"

We are not the only club, are you suggesting every other club gets all of the players they want ...surely not?

So no-one said "guarantees" and you're arguing against no-one, understood.

You said you think the reason we don't spend more is we're unable to attract the players we're after - which other clubs do you think also fall into this category resulting in their continued negative net spend?

Edited by Sour Mash

So no-one said "guarantees" and you're arguing against no-one, understood.

You said you think the reason we don't spend more is we're unable to attract the players we're after - which other clubs do you think also fall into this category resulting in their continued negative net spend?

He he.

You said "Why do you think we're the only club that can't attract or source the players we feel we need?" We are not, nothing about negative spend...understood!

Arguing? I thought we were disgussing , sorry my bad..

Just to clarify my point and agreement

Spending more does not always ensure success but could increase the chances...agreed

City sped big last season but were lacking by their standards as did utd and Liverpool just 2 examples.

This year the same is happening with those three, who will succeed. we shall see...

He he.

You said "Why do you think we're the only club that can't attract or source the players we feel we need?" We are not, nothing about negative spend...understood!

Arguing? I thought we were disgussing , sorry my bad..

Just to clarify my point and agreement

Spending more does not always ensure success but could increase the chances...agreed

City sped big last season but were lacking by their standards as did utd and Liverpool just 2 examples.

This year the same is happening with those three, who will succeed. we shall see...

Your point isn't really clear, so I'll ask one final time. Do you agree that the more a club spends, the likelihood of it doing well also significantly increases? And therefore if there is money available, it makes sense to put it towards better quality or a greater quantity of good players? That's pretty reasonable, sensible logic you'd agree?

Your point isn't really clear, so I'll ask one final time. Do you agree that the more a club spends, the likelihood of it doing well also significantly increases? And therefore if there is money available, it makes sense to put it towards better quality or a greater quantity of good players? That's pretty reasonable, sensible logic you'd agree?

Whilst its a clear question and there is logic there, its possibly not actually a very fair question in terms of representing our real situation. Southampton cannot compete with the big spenders that you are alluding to in financial terms. That means we have to be sensible with our spending rather than spending big. Yes if you spend more you get more success, thats because the highly expensive failures that occur have less impact. Man city buying a 30 m player and him failing will not hugely imp[act their season because of the other quality they have and can bring in. A 30m failure to us could have huge negative implications. I get that they are in that position because they have spent more historically so im sort of arguing against myself but its long term huge investment that gets you ther end not one window. Its the same logic as teh more money a player costs the better he is - whilst generally thats totally true its not really as simple and we all know it

Whilst its a clear question and there is logic there, its possibly not actually a very fair question in terms of representing our real situation. Southampton cannot compete with the big spenders that you are alluding to in financial terms. That means we have to be sensible with our spending rather than spending big. Yes if you spend more you get more success, thats because the highly expensive failures that occur have less impact. Man city buying a 30 m player and him failing will not hugely imp[act their season because of the other quality they have and can bring in. A 30m failure to us could have huge negative implications. I get that they are in that position because they have spent more historically so im sort of arguing against myself but its long term huge investment that gets you ther end not one window. Its the same logic as teh more money a player costs the better he is - whilst generally thats totally true its not really as simple and we all know it

I assume the big spenders that we can't compete with that you're referring to are Bournemouth and Burnley?

I assume the big spenders that we can't compete with that you're referring to are Bournemouth and Burnley?

Why? Odd assumption to say the least - youve picked two teams that have spent less than us in the transfer window so it really doesnt make much sense to assume that. Im not being antagonistic in my post, its clear who im hinting at - not least because i mention Man City as an eg.

The only thing i can think you mean is why didnt we get Wilshire? If so thats a toss of the coin for me, could work really well, could be terrible. The guy is talented and i dont agree with those saying he isnt but hes injury prone and his attitude is certainly questionable. Not the role model id want for our youngsters. Not a risk id be after personally, can see why people would be keen but not for me and dont think it is clear cut enough to be reverent to my post at all.

Know only very little about Pied and would be wrong to pass judgement after witnessing only a part appearance.

Regarding Wilshere, he has had some decent performances but they were a long time ago but more recently he has been injured

more than playing but when he has i feel he has been average to poor.

So all about opinions...

You missed my point, my point is buying a recognised player excites fans, could easily have used benteke, bony, remy etc

Why? Odd assumption to say the least - youve picked two teams that have spent less than us in the transfer window so it really doesnt make much sense to assume that. Im not being antagonistic in my post, its clear who im hinting at - not least because i mention Man City as an eg.

The only thing i can think you mean is why didnt we get Wilshire? If so thats a toss of the coin for me, could work really well, could be terrible. The guy is talented and i dont agree with those saying he isnt but hes injury prone and his attitude is certainly questionable. Not the role model id want for our youngsters. Not a risk id be after personally, can see why people would be keen but not for me and dont think it is clear cut enough to be reverent to my post at all.

It's net spend that is relevant, not gross. Those two clubs have spent more than us this summer.

Dear oh dear lighten up!

I'm pretty ambivalent towards the transfer window. Wherever Saints finish, I'll still be happy.

Meanwhile, you suggest that the club is nearing it's death.

But its me that needs to "lighten up"?

OK.....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Read the post of mine you quoted, line 5 it says Spending more does not always ensure success but could increase the chances...agreed

I agree better quality should produce better results but its all about opinions of who those should be