Shea Charles

Saint Garrett

Seems like it's pretty much a done deal and deserves a thread of his own...

Another city youth player, but I remember him from the u18s cup final at St Marys and he looked unbelievably dominant in the middle of the pitch. Big, Strong, and looks a proper player.  Reminds me of Rodri.

Spending £11m on an unproven player also suggests we aren't skint. Would certainly like to see a few out the door and links to some slightly more experienced players though.

Obligatory YT video below...

• Like 4

City sent a few players down to the Championship last season, who did well: Muric, Steffen, Harwood-Bellis, both Doyle's and McAtee, so hopefully the Championship is a bit more forgiving on this policy than the Premier League was.

Also, a potential cost of £15m. That's surely dependant on promotion, but that's up there with the record Championship transfers of Ruben Neves and Britt Assombalonga, both also £15m. So, a big outlay for a Championship club. Again, it's down to hope that Wilcox knows he's a future star and has orchestrated a good deal for us.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Another city youth player, but I remember him from the u18s cup final at St Marys and he looked unbelievably dominant in the middle of the pitch. Big, Strong, and looks a proper player.  Reminds me of Rodri.

Spending £11m on an unproven player also suggests we aren't skint. Would certainly like to see a few out the door and links to some slightly more experienced players though.

He was immense in that U18 final and played like he was a couple of years older than the others on the pitch.

I'm pretty excited by this signing.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He was immense in that U18 final and played like he was a couple of years older than the others on the pitch.

I'm pretty excited by this signing.

If we sign Fonte then he will also be able to play like he's a couple of years older than the others on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was always on my Man City shopping list and I'm pleased to see it might happnen.

I know it's lazy using players who have been linked, but Charles (plus Downes & Grimes) would be a pretty handy triangle of options covering an awful lot of Russell Martin tick-boxes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, positivepete said:

Very highly rated by Northern Ireland fans

Indeed. Although our results have been poor since he's come into the team (and since Michael O'Neill returned), he's looked very accomplished in DM and has stood out in a team with some experienced lower half PL and Championship players around him. Similar to Lavia, he doesn't panic and is very good at creating space when under pressure

• Like 1

Impressive at youth level. Looks pretty big and powerful in the video, which will help make an immediate impression at senior level. If he can replicate that dominance at senior level, we will have a proper player on our hands.

It will be interesting to see how Winks goes at Leicester over the next couple of seasons, as they are similar transfer fees (and obviously signed this summer in the championship), all be it Winks may be on bigger wages.

If he is going straight into the side, let's hope he can shone like Lavia, all be it at a lower level.

11 minutes ago, Ribtickler said:

This lad reminds me of a sturdy wooden door, no one is getting past that thing without a chainsaw.

Welcomed signing with Lavia off to graze on the wild pastures of Premier football.

That's all i will say on the matter. 

That seems quite a heavy handed approach to wooden doors - I just open them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

If he's any good why are City letting him leave?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Ribtickler said:

This lad reminds me of a sturdy wooden door, no one is getting past that thing without a chainsaw.

Welcomed signing with Lavia off to graze on the wild pastures of Premier football.

That's all i will say on the matter. 

Am I the only one who hasn't a clue what you're talking about?

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If he's any good why are City letting him leave?

Always a concern, not being good enough for the best team in Europe doesn't mean he wouldn't be good enough for us. If there is no pathway, they can't just hoard him. The buy back clause means he will be there should they need him. Also, they let Lavia leave.

This is a gamble, an educated gamble but a clear gamble. 

Lavia worked last year, Edozie and Bazunu didn't. 

It's a sign that despite prior mixed results, the board are keeping faith with their own ideas. So, either they are not learning, or they are not learning and believe the coaching clusterf*ck of last season masked their own genius. 

I am cautiously..... not optimistic. Well, i'm cautiously nervous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colinjb said:

This is a gamble, an educated gamble but a clear gamble. 

It's a sign that despite prior mixed results, the board are keeping faith with their own ideas. So, either they are not learning, or they are not learning and believe the coaching clusterf*ck of last season masked their own genius. 

I am cautiously..... not optimistic. Well, i'm cautiously nervous.

Or its a sign that Jason Wilcox has recruited a player that he knows extremely well and thinks will be well suited to our needs.

A player who is well versed in the style we will be adopting and has senior Intl experience.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Or its a sign that Jason Wilcox has recruited a player that he knows extremely well and thinks will be well suited to our needs.

A player who is well versed in the style we will be adopting and has senior Intl experience.

I respect your optimism.

May it not be misplaced.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Edozie clearly showed talent in his stints just lacked the finishing touch, which our whole squad did tbf so I’m not going to judge him on that shit season.

• Like 3

On 07/07/2023 at 11:39, Saint_clark said:

Spending £11million on an unproven player doesn't prove we're not skint, it just proves we're still going to gamble with our season.

We have plenty of money. Charles isn’t a gamble.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Brissysaint said:

Edozie clearly showed talent in his stints just lacked the finishing touch, which our whole squad did tbf so I’m not going to judge him on that shit season.

Despite being labelled a Sports Republic fan boy ,last season was a clusterfuck and again Joe Shields really did mess things up.Not entirely on him but a major factor. 

Slovak has already mentioned in an interview that he didn’t get involved enough in decisions but he won’t let that happen again. I might be a saddo but I’ve watched a lot of his TV interviews he has a commanding presence.Not to be fucked with and massively successful in every business venture so far.There’s a load of shit going down in Serbia and he’s seriously taking on the government.

im not trying to be clever I just have had a lot of time on my hands. Temporary health reasons.

As for Rasmus his job is ( as it was supposed to be last season) is building up SRs club rosta. Bohemians next apparently, which is only going to benefit Saints.  Again Dragan has money put aside for the other clubs he won’t be spending money meant for Saints on them.

let’s be honest any Saints fan has literally been traumatised by last season. We have majorly shuffled the board. I’m hugely impressed with Wilcox and Martin in particular . Be patient just because we’ve signed some youngsters doesn’t mean that is our only transfer policy.

Im remain confident we will lose our first game ( it’s tradition) and their will be a complete meltdown on here but it’s a long old season and it will make a nice change not expecting to lose our next game all the time.

it’s a new Dawn ( yeah OK I said that last season ) enjoy it.

Edited by manji
  • Like 5

Looks like a decent acquisition and for that money I would imagine he’s been told he’ll be a first team starter meaning Lavia is definitely off.  However, from the UT clips he’s not as good as Lavia and that in itself gives me a little cause for concern. Unless other positions are strengthened we will once again find the overall squad quality diluted a little more and that’s something we cannot afford to happen if promotion is a serious aspiration. Last seasons squad was a mess irrespective of the league we were in - what’s not certain is how much of that was due to such poor and inconsistent team management/coaching. I’m hoping a lot.

19 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Looks like a decent acquisition and for that money I would imagine he’s been told he’ll be a first team starter meaning Lavia is definitely off.  However, from the UT clips he’s not as good as Lavia and that in itself gives me a little cause for concern. Unless other positions are strengthened we will once again find the overall squad quality diluted a little more and that’s something we cannot afford to happen if promotion is a serious aspiration. Last seasons squad was a mess irrespective of the league we were in - what’s not certain is how much of that was due to such poor and inconsistent team management/coaching. I’m hoping a lot.

Were you seriously expecting us to sell Lavia and then replace him with someone just as good? I think you'll be disappointed if that's your attitude this summer. 

• Like 4

Well yes and no. Clearly the squad last season was awful - bloated with mediocrity, unbalanced and devoid of quality, with the exception of Lavia perhaps but even he had some bad games. My point is that the squad needs a major overhaul and extra quality brought in to be in with a shout of success, rather than any further dilution. Sure, it will be difficult to find a direct Lavia replacement and this guy might be the best we can get, but that just serves to emphasise the need for major overhaul and quality improvement without which this season will be a lot more difficult than some seem to think.

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Were you seriously expecting us to sell Lavia and then replace him with someone just as good? I think you'll be disappointed if that's your attitude this summer. 

Not expecting to replace Lavia and JWP with someone just as good, but would be nice to think we can replace some of the other dross with better

6 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Not expecting to replace Lavia and JWP with someone just as good, but would be nice to think we can replace some of the other dross with better

Well possibly with some of them but the players that top clubs want are not going to be replaced with better. I thought that was obvious but it seems not to some. The key is to get a team together that is maybe better than the sum of its parts that can win promotion. That's it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Well yes and no. Clearly the squad last season was awful - bloated with mediocrity, unbalanced and devoid of quality, with the exception of Lavia perhaps but even he had some bad games. My point is that the squad needs a major overhaul and extra quality brought in to be in with a shout of success, rather than any further dilution. Sure, it will be difficult to find a direct Lavia replacement and this guy might be the best we can get, but that just serves to emphasise the need for major overhaul and quality improvement without which this season will be a lot more difficult than some seem to think.

You said yes and no but clearly it's unrealistic to expect us to sign someone as good as Lavia in our current position. Where we are currently should be an improvement on last year given that as it stands we have Tino and Tella and an extra year of development for the likes of Bazunu, Edozie etc. We also have a manager whose intention is to play a style which has had some success in the championship in the past and who isn't Nathan Jones and we currently have some players with prior championship experience in Armstrong, Adams and Tella. Now obviously much of that is going to change but we will clearly bring in some decent names to replace the ones who leave and that should have an effect of refreshing the squad. I'm optimistic despite the awfulness of last year. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Shea Charles