Shea Charles

Saint Garrett

On 07/07/2023 at 13:13, SuperSAINT said:

Was always on my Man City shopping list and I'm pleased to see it might happnen.

I know it's lazy using players who have been linked, but Charles (plus Downes & Grimes) would be a pretty handy triangle of options covering an awful lot of Russell Martin tick-boxes.

I can't see Swansea selling anyone to us. We've burned a few bridges playing hardball over peanuts. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dman said:

I can't see Swansea selling anyone to us. We've burned a few bridges playing hardball over peanuts. 

Well if they've got any sense they will just add whatever they think we've fiddled them out of to the players asking price 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

You said yes and no but clearly it's unrealistic to expect us to sign someone as good as Lavia in our current position. Where we are currently should be an improvement on last year given that as it stands we have Tino and Tella and an extra year of development for the likes of Bazunu, Edozie etc. We also have a manager whose intention is to play a style which has had some success in the championship in the past and who isn't Nathan Jones and we currently have some players with prior championship experience in Armstrong, Adams and Tella. Now obviously much of that is going to change but we will clearly bring in some decent names to replace the ones who leave and that should have an effect of refreshing the squad. I'm optimistic despite the awfulness of last year. 

Well that’s my point…there is no ‘clarity’ yet to us bringing in “decent names” for departing players.  Yes, Tella may well be a better player for his time with Burnley (assuming he doesn’t get sold back to them towards the end of the transfer window when they find themselves short and panic buy). And Armstrong and Adams are not the same players in the same team to when they were scoring for fun before joining us. Based on the last three years I’m not sure our style of play (or Martins) suits some of these players.

Perhaps the last 3-4 years has left me feeling too pessimistic (which is hardly surprising!), however there’s a long way to go before I’ll be convinced the club have got it right this time around to the point where we look cohesive, score goals and remain competitive over 90+ minutes in a very tough league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

What are they going to do if their players on short contracts want to follow Martin and put their foot down on the move? We can basically wait until the end of the window and still offer less than other teams in that sort of scenario... And we'll get them unless Swansea want to lose them for free next summer etc. They really don't have much of a leg to stand on. I'm still chuckling that they've paid Martin's wages whilst he was on holiday and working for us, and they still got the reduced compensation for him joining a championship team (shock horror) 😂🤣.

They had a reputation as a difficult club to deal with, and so far they've lived up to it. Quite nice for once to see saints play hard ball contractually and shaft them. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Based on what I know of the American owners they like making money and not spending money so if they have one we want they will sell and spend 1/4 on the replacement 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Based on what I know of the American owners they like making money and not spending money so if they have one we want they will sell and spend 1/4 on the replacement 

True, but they will surely prefer to sell to other clubs before Saints, you would imagine.

That said, I prefer Downes to Grimes and Manning is a free agent so its only Piroe really.

Edited by Dusic

52 minutes ago, Dusic said:

True, but they will surely prefer to sell to other clubs before Saints, you would imagine.

That said, I prefer Downes to Grimes and Manning is a free agent so its only Piroe really.

So the club wouldn't pursue Grimes because you prefer Downes? Are you head of recruitment?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dman said:

Because we refused to spend money we didn't have to? Swansea are not in the right here - We appointed him as a Championship club so we pay that fee.

4 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Here is Shea Charles speaking after making his PL debut at the end of last season. He speaks pretty well for his age.

Daily Mail reporting his medical is today so hopefully an announcement tomorrow/Wednesday.

Such a thick northern irish accent. Will fit right in with our other irish player Will Smallbone and Scottish hero Russell Martin. 

Edited by SotonianWill
I forgot Che “Mc”Adams
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Such a thick northern irish accent. Will fit right in with our other irish player Will Smallbone and Scottish hero Russell Martin. 

And don’t forget the Glaswegian tones of Che McAdams 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Because we refused to spend money we didn't have to? Swansea are not in the right here - We appointed him as a Championship club so we pay that fee.

if it costs you certain targets, thinking Piroe who could feasibly go to Leicester instead now, then it wasn't sensible from us. We could have easily struck a deal with them and met in the middle, kept relationships sweet. 

If they decide to sell players to us, then they'll only recoup that in the transfer fee anyway. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dman said:

if it costs you certain targets, thinking Piroe who could feasibly go to Leicester instead now, then it wasn't sensible from us. We could have easily struck a deal with them and met in the middle, kept relationships sweet. 

If they decide to sell players to us, then they'll only recoup that in the transfer fee anyway. 

Im sure this was probably explored, but obviously both sides dug their heels in. There are plenty of suitable targets out there who dont play for the 'Welsh club' 😂

13 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Any idea why he went for Northern Ireland so early on?  No disrespect, but the guys Mancunian and clearly has the potential to play for England at some point.

17 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

My midfielder. My Guy 🔥

He is going to cook in the Championship next season 💧

This is no good, we need football players not chef's !!!

What he even cooking for the team ? Pasta or nandos ? 

Waste of a squad place if you ask me.

The scouting dept need to stop watching ready steady cook and go back to football.

Rasmus out

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 1

So we're going to spend £15m on ANOTHER teenager?

When the average YEARLY turnover of a club of our size in the Championship is around £25m.  

Yes, we have parachute payments but this has all the hallmarks of another Saints Go Wilde promotion or bust (literally) season.

• Sad 1

I don't doubt this lad has all the potential to be a top player one day.  He may even hit the ground running and perform well for us.  

However, where is the experience and guile coming from?  I can see these lads being kicked around trying to play keep football by numbskull cloggers and consequently facing long periods in the medical centre.  And when they return they'll be a little more wary of playing keep ball and we'll lose possession more, in turn losing more games.  When they're out injured for long periods the lack of depth in squad quality will start to tell and performances will drop.

There's some huge risks coming our way, even if Martin gets the team playing like Brazil.  Could be big fun or it could be another season of pain - who knows?

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

This is no good, we need football players not chef's !!!

What he even cooking for the team ? Pasta or nandos ? 

Waste of a squad place if you ask me.

The scouting dept need to stop watching ready steady cook and go back to football.

Rasmus out

It’s actually a great policy what with all the young and hungry players we’re bringing in they’ll need to be able to rustle up some healthy yet tasty meals for themselves. If we are bringing in players who can cook it shows our profiling is working. #marginalgains #ifitsnotbrokenbreakit #youarewhatyoueat

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dman said:

Do we even want Piroe? We have 3 players who are proven goalscorers at this level as well as the likes of Edozie and Sulamana (apologies for spelling) who will probably murder this league.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

When the average YEARLY turnover of a club of our size in the Championship is around £25m.  

Yes, we have parachute payments but this has all the hallmarks of another Saints Go Wilde promotion or bust (literally) season.

No it doesn't. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, once_bitterne said:

Not wanting to nitpick but there's about £2 billion difference between now and then 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Shea Charles - Official: Signs 4 Year Contract
3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Never heard of him until the other day.

Gone are the days when I knew footballers from all over the UK and worldwide through my extensive FIFA and FM times. 😂

I’m old now.

Dont worry bro, quickly look his stats and playing style and then pretend you've been watching him since kindergarten.

Wait that didn't come out right 🤣

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Dont worry bro, quickly look his stats and playing style and then pretend you've been watching him since kindergarten.

Wait that didn't come out right 🤣

In light of current affairs I shall be making no such claim. 👀

Although I have had to Google who he is. I thought he was an attacking player.

• Haha 1

Southampton manager Russell Martin said: "Shea is a very talented, intelligent and mature young player with great potential to develop his game with us.

“He has been well schooled at Manchester City, coming through an elite Academy all the way to the first team. We’ve watched him closely and we’re confident he’s got the right attributes to help us in the way we’re going to play."

Shea Charles said: "I feel like the way the manager’s going to play will really suit me, and obviously some of the players that I know (from City) have done very well here last season in the Premier League, so there’s no reason why I can’t come in and do similar things.

"He (Russell Martin) called me the other night, explaining that it will be good for me with the possession-based football that he looks to play, and I just can’t wait.

"I feel like the main thing is promotion for this club, because we belong in the Premier League. I can’t wait to start pre-season and get into the Championship games."

spacer.png

• Like 2

From the clips I've seen, he seems to be exactly what we need.

6'3" DM that has the athletic ability to stop a counterattack and is good on the ball. We have been too lightweight for too long. I feel we could have been found out a bit in the Champ with some direct balls and set-pieces, but having him sitting in front of the defence should alleviate that somewhat.

I'm all for playing a version of Guardiola ball where we get these incredibly talented kids for cheap. Looking at our signings last summer, it seems like it was the eventual plan all along... which makes the mid-season Nathan Jones appointment all the more bizarre.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Shea Charles