Prem Predictions (now the window has closed)

Minsk

So, we are currently at the top end of these predictions/expectations (made very early in the season) with 3 matches to go, and many on here are having a melt-down...... Why am I not surprised?? :rolleyes:

So, we are currently at the top end of these predictions/expectations (made very early in the season) with 3 matches to go, and many on here are having a melt-down...... Why am I not surprised?? :rolleyes:

Hmmmm..alternatively people's expectations aren't and have never been too high and the reason people are unhappy has nothing to do with league position?

Yet people like you keep totally missing the point and pointing out that only the position in the league is what matters?

People would be moaning if we were playing exciting football every week but lost.

Style of football is irrelevant.

Wrong. If we played exciting football and lost every week that would be one thing, but if we played exciting football and had 42 points from 35 games only a select few would be moaning.

Just because people expected us to finish 10-14th doesn't mean the fans are happy with it...!

Difficult one, but it's been more about the style and system which breeds negativity rather than the league position. And we could still finish 16th I think too....

I definitely lowered my expectations the minute Puel was appointed and tbf he hasnt let me down.

The football has been as dull and pathetic as many of the Nice and Lyon fans warned us about.

Thankfully his time may soon be up and ill expect us to be alot closer to the top 6 next season

We could play the most boring football imaginable, winning 1-0 every match, but if we won the league, I could not care less.

I do not get this.

there was no exciting football 30 years ago. Even 20.

People have got obsessed with slick pitches and Arsenal adoration, thinking that attacking, pass-and-move, clever creative football is what defines the premier league and should be the standard for mid-table teams.

You think Sunderland fans are annoyed because they play drab football, or because they lose most weeks? I think it's the latter.

Creative attacking football makes the victory sweeter. That's all.

People would be moaning if we were playing exciting football every week but lost.

Style of football is irrelevant.

You always seem to unconditionally back up the manager/club regardless of style of play or results. As a saint fan from Sweden Saints style of play of recent years has attracted interest here from people following the PL. This season...not so much. If we want our fanbase to grow internationally an entertaining style of play is vital.

I do not get this.

there was no exciting football 30 years ago. Even 20.

People have got obsessed with slick pitches and Arsenal adoration, thinking that attacking, pass-and-move, clever creative football is what defines the premier league and should be the standard for mid-table teams.

You think Sunderland fans are annoyed because they play drab football, or because they lose most weeks? I think it's the latter.

Creative attacking football makes the victory sweeter. That's all.

Exciting football? Of course it was. The games were full of incident and effort.

Exciting football? Of course it was. The games were full of incident and effort.

Sure. But not exciting how we define it now. Maybe I mean slick, creative, attacking football. The pitches 30 years ago couldn't handle the kind of fast play we have come to expect in the league now.

Arsenal stood out when Arsene Wenger came in. Now, teams like Stoke and West Brom have players like Shaqiri and Chadli for pete's sake.

I definitely lowered my expectations the minute Puel was appointed and tbf he hasnt let me down.

The football has been as dull and pathetic as many of the Nice and Lyon fans warned us about.

Thankfully his time may soon be up and ill expect us to be alot closer to the top 6 next season

And if he stays, you wont be watching it at all..right?

We could play the most boring football imaginable, winning 1-0 every match, but if we won the league, I could not care less.

Yes but we aren't going to win the league are we?

He isn't even competing for 7th.

You have used an extreme..reality is mid table is about right for a realistic goal for us.

As such finishing mid table is the standard, playing half way entertaining football is what we should be able to expect.

Yes but we aren't going to win the league are we?

He isn't even competing for 7th.

You have used an extreme..reality is mid table is about right for a realistic goal for us.

As such finishing mid table is the standard, playing half way entertaining football is what we should be able to expect.

Watford and Sunderland away, do they suffice?

I agree that some of the football has been less than entertaining, but other times have been. That period was undoubtedly our best spell of the season, both in terms of results and style.

Looks like Puel will exceed most people's expectations, and that with Forster and Long having very poor seasons and Virgil, Austin and Fonte being unavailable for long-periods.

Good effort.

Who is complaining about the league position?

Think its more his style + our play + our points total + home form that people don't like.

Who is complaining about the league position?

Think its more his style + our play + our points total + home form that people don't like.

They should try watching our play when we haven't played 3 days earlier compared to when we haven't, then. It's like night and day. Even the first half against Arsenal we played some superb football - no way we can keep that up for 90 minutes with our schedule though, and made perfect sense to play possession and reduce the amount of running required when we had a lot of games (which was for 6 months of the 9 month season).

They should try watching our play when we haven't played 3 days earlier compared to when we haven't, then. It's like night and day.

The Notorious B.I.G. - "Mo PUEL Mo Problems"

Think we have won just once all season when we've had an extended period to prepare.

7 days to prepare = lost to Man United

8 days to prepare = draw with Sunderland

13 days to prepare = lose to Arsenal

13 days to prepare = draw with Liverpool (no shots)

10 days to prepare = lose to Spurs

15 days to prepare = lose to Man United

13 days to prepare = lose to Spurs

12 days to prepare = draw with AFCB

10 days to prepare = lose to Chelsea

Sure. But not exciting how we define it now. Maybe I mean slick, creative, attacking football. The pitches 30 years ago couldn't handle the kind of fast play we have come to expect in the league now.

Arsenal stood out when Arsene Wenger came in. Now, teams like Stoke and West Brom have players like Shaqiri and Chadli for pete's sake.

I give you the Brazil team from 1970:

9912517.jpg?335

They learnt their skills on rough wasteground, as did Stankley Matthews, Bobby Charlton and George Best.

They should try watching our play when we haven't played 3 days earlier compared to when we haven't, then. It's like night and day. Even the first half against Arsenal we played some superb football - no way we can keep that up for 90 minutes with our schedule though, and made perfect sense to play possession and reduce the amount of running required when we had a lot of games (which was for 6 months of the 9 month season).

More like night and night if you ask me :rolleyes:

So looks like we exceeded almost everyone's predictions finishing 8th. And a cup final reached without conceding a goal against all Premier League opponents. Looking forward to seeing everyone's predictions for next season now....

So looks like we exceeded almost everyone's predictions finishing 8th. And a cup final reached without conceding a goal against all Premier League opponents. Looking forward to seeing everyone's predictions for next season now....

As someone who comes across as a balanced (if erring on the positive side) poster, surely you concede that we've ended up in 8th as much due to the ineptitude of other teams around us than because we went out in a blaze of glory.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's predictions for next season now....

I am as well, Especially the % of points below the actual champions,the points total, artistic merit, excitement, jokes at press conferences and the number of points gained against the top 6. Life was so much easier when you only had to predict the final league position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk