Sunderland Build-up (EFL Cup)

SuperSAINT

No rest for the wicked. Onwards we go.

Doubt this will be the team, but I'd be tempted to make 8 changes.

--------------McCarthy-------------

Martina--Yoshida--Fonte--McQueen

----------------Reed-----------------

-----------JWP-----Højbjerg---------

------------- Hesketh--------------

--------Rodriguez---Boufal---------

Be happy with that side assuming Long still out

I'm assuming Shane might be out for a few weeks?

Are Gardos or Isgrove fit? I'd rather anyone that was heavily involved on Thursday and today were given a few days rest ready for Chelsea on Sunday.

Gardos played a half for the U23's, I've no idea what happening with Isgrove this season.

Be happy with that side assuming Long still out

I'm assuming Shane might be out for a few weeks?

Are Gardos or Isgrove fit? I'd rather anyone that was heavily involved on Thursday and today were given a few days rest ready for Chelsea on Sunday.

Gardos played a half for the U23's, I've no idea what happening with Isgrove this season.

martina and mcqueen again, these injuries really are a shame atm- would like to switch them up- if gardos is match fit, i'd probably move yoshida to left back tbh and get yann valery involved if he is good enough- not for me to judge though because I don't see him everyday in training, and if he isn't good enough then maybe not.

as much as id like league cup progress and the league cup in our trophy cabinet i am willing to sacrifice it for some more european ties and premier league progress.

martina and mcqueen again, these injuries really are a shame atm- would like to switch them up- if gardos is match fit, i'd probably move yoshida to left back tbh and get yann valery involved if he is good enough- not for me to judge though because I don't see him everyday in training, and if he isn't good enough then maybe not.

as much as id like league cup progress and the league cup in our trophy cabinet i am willing to sacrifice it for some more european ties and premier league progress.

I think that'll be pretty close actually.

I think that'll be pretty close actually.

just about my selection, too ...but think Stephens might get into the mix. Not too many others to choose from if we rest the others.

although we might well see Reed , Sims or Olamola on the bench, too

Don't want to remember our poor Cup record against Sunderland in recent years, but with them sitting at the bottom of the Prem. surely they will also play a weakened side.

just about my selection, too ...but think Stephens might get into the mix. Not too many others to choose from if we rest the others.

although we might well see Reed , Sims or Olamola on the bench, too

Don't want to remember our poor Cup record against Sunderland in recent years, but with them sitting at the bottom of the Prem. surely they will also play a weakened side.

I think Mcqueen needs a rest to be honest, he was stretching out so much today, looked to have a bit of cramp.

Maybe Targett will be ok for this one.

If Targett (or any other fullback) is fit - then absolutely. Martina & McQueen have put in some miles this week.

I think Mcqueen needs a rest to be honest, he was stretching out so much today, looked to have a bit of cramp.

If Targett (or any other fullback) is fit - then absolutely. Martina & McQueen have put in some miles this week.

I'd agree with the OP but with Gardos if he is anything like match fit. Can't see Sunderland having any confidence or commitment at all for this fixture, although I've been bitten in the arse by these comments before. If we do go out... meh. The EL group is so delicately balanced I'd rather keep as many fresh as possible and Chelsea next is a big game.

I'd agree with the OP but with Gardos if he is anything like match fit. Can't see Sunderland having any confidence or commitment at all for this fixture, although I've been bitten in the arse by these comments before. If we do go out... meh. The EL group is so delicately balanced I'd rather keep as many fresh as possible and Chelsea next is a big game.

Martina, VVD, Martina, Romeu, Austin all looked knackered at the end today.

I'd give all five the night off.

McCarthy

Valery Stephens Yoshida Vokins

Reed JWP Hojbjerg

JRod Boufal Hesketh

Subs: Forster, Bakary, Fonte, Davis, Clasie, Olomola, Sims/Isgrove

Martina, VVD, Martina, Romeu, Austin all looked knackered at the end today.

I'd give all five the night off.

McCarthy

Valery Stephens Yoshida Vokins

Reed JWP Hojbjerg

JRod Boufal Hesketh

Subs: Forster, Bakary, Fonte, Davis, Clasie, Olomola, Sims/Isgrove

Bertrand was close today, although can't see him risked on Wednesday.

Bertrand was close today, although can't see him risked on Wednesday.

Sunderland have a home game kicking off at lunchtime Saturday, so I would expect them to play a second string side on Wednesday evening. A superb opportunity for us to book a quarter final place with lots of juicy Premier League clashes knocking some good sides out of the competition

Sunderland have a home game kicking off at lunchtime Saturday, so I would expect them to play a second string side on Wednesday evening. A superb opportunity for us to book a quarter final place with lots of juicy Premier League clashes knocking some good sides out of the competition