Liverpool 0-0 Saints - Match & Reactions Thread

Heisenberg

MotM vs Liverpool (PL Away 2016/17)  

245 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (PL Away 2016/17)

Hands up all those who if told that we would play Liverpool 4 times this season, twice at home and twice at Anfield, and that we would come away with two wins, two draws, and that Liverpool would fail to score against us. Who would have thought it incredible, bordering on nigh impossible?

Well, any criticism of the style of play or the tactics, must be seen in that context.

What we had yesterday, was a glory team full of star players, (many of whom used to be ours), playing against us, mid-table opponents considerably less strong financially and without some key players. It is ironic that the one player who might have made a difference to the boring stalemate, was our former player Mane, but thankfully he was injured. Nevertheless, Liverpool still had players in their team where a couple of them were valued at more than our entire squad.

Whether the match was boring or not, nobody can argue that Puel's tactics and the discipline of the players wasn't very effective.

Yes, they had a couple of decent chances and we didn't really have any ourselves, but the frustration of Klopp was clearly evident and Puel is becoming his nemesis. If there are moaning-minnies on here decrying the boring play yesterday, just think how it will have gone down with the Liverpool fans, with their over-inflated sense of entitlement when they contemplate the failure to score a single goal against lowly Saints in four matches.

Against Chelsea we played some nice football but it was too open and we got tonked. Poor tactics from the manager. Against Liverpool we tighten up and get a point. Poor tactics from the manager.

When did we get so big that a point at Liverpool is anything other than a great result.

A point at Anfield (which historically hasn't been a happy hunting ground for us) is a good result but I do have a slight sense of disappointment that we couldn't muster more of a threat especially given how poor Liverpool have been defensively this season

Good point and very impressed with the compact and organised back 4 - particularly Stephens - and FF's best game of the season surely? Harsh peno but justice via FF and great psychology on Milner.

Midfield worked hard but Gabi very isolated and his supply options need a major overhaul in the summer. Without Mane facing us again, we actually looked a lot more comfortable in defence than the LC SF second leg but less capable on the counter attack.

You can see how CP and Swansea have got results and Klopp might have had more of a look at Markovic before loaning him out because with Nivea Boy struggling to get fit from England duty, he's the type of player they lack.

My Man U-exile supporting friend was very happy with the result - and then less happy after the Emirates. Weds night well set up now.

I see that the game against pool and us has sparked off a debate on Talk Sport about ways to make the game more exciting ie zero points for a nil nil draw.

I enjoyed the game yesterday a lot more than I would have done if we were losing 5-2.

The most amusing thing was Jamie Carragher co-commentating on the match. You could just hear him getting more and more agitated and desperate as the seconds ticked away without a Mane less Liverpool scoring.

Mind you it was good of him a few weeks ago to tell everyone the best way to play against Liverpool for those who hadn't worked it out already :lol:

Although he's a scouser and therefore inherently painful to listen to for any length of time, I actually thought Carragher did a good job of being as impartial as possible.

Much fairer than a dumb-ass **** like Niall Quinn or some of the morons you used to get on ITV, for example.

I see that the game against pool and us has sparked off a debate on Talk Sport about ways to make the game more exciting ie zero points for a nil nil draw.

Three points for a win seriously advantages the big teams........

Although he's a scouser and therefore inherently painful to listen to for any length of time, I actually thought Carragher did a good job of being as impartial as possible.

Much fairer than a dumb-ass **** like Niall Quinn or some of the morons you used to get on ITV, for example.

To be fair he even held his hands up in apology to possibly sounding a bit biased, but qualified it (quite truthfully) by saying: its a bit hard if the team Liverpool are playing against aren't doing that much.

oh don't even go there, Niall Quinn is a whole different ball game altogether, he runs with the horse and the hounds and tales total ********.

I hope you're watching West Ham go toe to toe with Liverpool. I'm sure their supporters will be happy with their offensive play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never said go toe to toe with them did I?

As I said previously, you need to offer something at least in the final 3rd which we didn't. Sitting back and getting men behind the ball is the correct way to play against Liverpool, but to do so, you have to attack with pace on the counter (not just lump long balls up to a striker who's not suited to that).

I did watch the game, West Ham were a shambles at the back, like they have been all season. However let's not forget that if it wasn't for a huge slice of luck and excellent goal keeping they could have beaten us 2 or 3 - 0 and we went there for a draw.....