Liverpool 0-0 Saints - Match & Reactions Thread

Heisenberg

MotM vs Liverpool (PL Away 2016/17)  

245 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (PL Away 2016/17)

So you'd be perfectly content going into next season with him as a nailed on starter? Did you see that pass in the second half - any other player would've been crucified for that, but only one person on the forum even noticed it was him... I'm sure the majority of fans are probably still under the impression that it was JWP, or that Clasie jogged onto the pitch accidentally for a second - anyone but saintly 'Davo'.

Having observed the phenomenon for a while now, responses to Davis fall into the following categories:

- He plays, but puts in an average, anonymous performance = default response 'Davis had a great game'

- He plays, and makes one good pass or run, but is otherwise average = default response 'Davis is one of the most underrated players in the league, and deserves a place on the banner'

- He plays, and makes a series of mistakes, loses possession, or is otherwise disappointing = default response 'Tadic/Boufal/any foreign player was worse'

Judging by your avatar I can see why you're an unreliable judge, but it's genuinely mystifying how regularly he's forgiven by everyone else for performances that would result in witch hunts of any other player.

Funnily enough unlike you I'm able to take a subjective view on his performances good and bad. He's doing a decent job playing out of position in a holding role alongside Romeu where they clearly have to be disciplined. There's serious issues in that team this season: Forster; the centre half positions;and a serious lack of goals, for which I'd be pointing the finger at those further up the pitch (Tadic/Boufal/Redmond/Long/Rodriquez/Ward-Prowse) before Davis. Poch rated him. Koeman rated him. Puel clearly rates him. Your assessment is ******** quite frankly.

Can't complain about an away draw at one of the big sides, and having struggled against the top sides in recent times I cant blame Puel and the team for being very compact and not throwing bodies forward...but it was painful to see how limited we have become in comparison to three seasons ago.

The balance between attack and defence is something we have not really got right all season. We are either too expansive or too cautious, too top heavy or too many men behind the ball. Solving that problem is not easy. Its not simply a case of a change of formation or playing an extra attacking midfielder, IMO it's a problem caused by not having the players Puel needs. Central midfield is an issue as is the wide players. We don't dominate in the middle and we give the ball away too cheaply out wide. The signing of Classie, Hoj and Boufal have left us exposed and we either need replacements or a serious step up in performance next season. Overall the side looks short of quality. We can hold our own, but where we used to have players with the quality to dominate teams, we now hold on for grim life. You can still win games, and we do, but we cant match the top sides, playing their game. There is no shame in that, but no one can deny we are not the side we once were. The solution? Recruit better player and find and recruit better youngsters. Obvious, but not simple.

Edited by Chez

You're right . Puel is amazing and we can get good results against Liverpool ?...

What about the other 18 teams in the premiership ? Shame we a generally rubbish against all of them .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

You do realise that there are 10 teams below us in the league ??

So you'd be perfectly content going into next season with him as a nailed on starter? Did you see that pass in the second half - any other player would've been crucified for that, but only one person on the forum even noticed it was him... I'm sure the majority of fans are probably still under the impression that it was JWP, or that Clasie jogged onto the pitch accidentally for a second - anyone but saintly 'Davo'.

Having observed the phenomenon for a while now, responses to Davis fall into the following categories:

- He plays, but puts in an average, anonymous performance = default response 'Davis had a great game'

- He plays, and makes one good pass or run, but is otherwise average = default response 'Davis is one of the most underrated players in the league, and deserves a place on the banner'

- He plays, and makes a series of mistakes, loses possession, or is otherwise disappointing = default response 'Tadic/Boufal/any foreign player was worse'

Judging by your avatar I can see why you're an unreliable judge, but it's genuinely mystifying how regularly he's forgiven by everyone else for performances that would result in witch hunts of any other player.

When you are the only person with a point of view, you need to at least entertain the idea that you might be in the wrong.

Can't complain about an away draw at one of the big sides, and having struggled against the top sides in recent times I cant blame Puel and the team for being very compact and not throwing bodies forward...but it was painful to see how limited we have become in comparison to three seasons ago.

The balance between attack and defence is something we have not really got right all season. We are either too expansive or too cautious, too top heavy or too many men behind the ball. Solving that problem is not easy. Its not simply a case of a change of formation or playing an extra attacking midfielder, IMO it's a problem caused by not having the players Puel needs. Central midfield is an issue as is the wide players. We don't dominate in the middle and we give the ball away too cheaply out wide. The signing of Classie, Hoj and Boufal have left us exposed and we either need replacements or a serious step up in performance next season. Overall the side looks short of quality. We can hold our own, but where we used to have players with the quality to dominate teams, we now hold on for grim life. You can still win games, and we do, but we cant match the top sides, playing their game. There is no shame in that, but no one can deny we are not the side we once were. The solution? Recruit better player and find and recruit better youngsters. Obvious, but not simple.

Very good post. Can't help thinking a more adventurous manager might help too though. [?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post.

Claude is under pressure & knew he couldn't afford for us to be beaten, hence we played for a point from the very first kick, which is fair enough but god its boring to watch! never looked like scoring! I think that's why many (not all) are fed up with the style in which we now play we hardly ever look like we can attack another team, where is the excitement in this team???

Word for word.

This pretty well sums things up. We are a lower mid table team. However, we will need to strengthen just to stay at this stage. Failure to do so will see us fighting relegation next year.

Automatic choice for Poch, ditto Koeman, ditto Puell - three quite different managers. Pardon me if I accept their opinion ahead of yours. The constant repetition of the same rubbish about Davis does not become more true from constant repetition and is just tiresome. We know your opinion - now give it a rest

Haven't read through the thread but for me there were a few positives - a clean sheet, a point, a rare penalty save from Fraser and we're now back above Bournemuff. That said I was completely bemused by Puel's team selection and tactics today. It was clear we were set up to defend from the start so why select Tadic and Boufal spearheaded by Gabbi up front on his own? This made absolutely no sense despite the fact we did get a point. Neither Tadic or Boufal help out their fullbacks to any degree and Gabbi as a lone front man is a total waste of his talents. Surely if we decided from the outset we have little or no intention of getting forward other than hopeful punts up field none of those three player should have started. We should have stuck Long up front on his own, Redmond left, JWP right and brought in Classie or Hojbjerg. It was a battling point from a performance devoid of courage due to the manager's team selection and tactics which meant we rarely troubled Mignolet. Boring!!!!

Do you realise this could be our lowest points tally since we returned to the Premiership?

If you check the context of my post, you will find that I was responding to a statement that said we were generally rubbish against 18 teams in the league !

Being 10th renders that impossible, that was my point, nothing more !

I was completely bemused by Puel's team selection and tactics today. It was clear we were set up to defend from the start so why select Tadic and Boufal spearheaded by Gabbi up front on his own? This made absolutely no sense despite the fact we did get a point.

!

I agree, he set out to get a point, we were successful at getting a point but because I don't like him I'll find something to moan about. I'd have taken a point at the start of the game, but now we've actually got one I'm not happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with whether I like or dislike Puel. My beef was against his team selection and tactics and the poor standard of our football today. Just my opinion and sorry if it differs from yours. Merely giving an honest appraisal on what I saw. Ok we got a point which was clearly the result CP wanted but I wasn't impressed with the way we went about it. Had Milner scored the penalty I'm sure much more flak would have headed in Claude's direction for setting up so negatively.

Nothing to do with whether I like or dislike Puel. My beef was against his team selection and tactics and the poor standard of our football today. Just my opinion and sorry if it differs from yours. Merely giving an honest appraisal on what I saw. Ok we got a point which was clearly the result CP wanted but I wasn't impressed with the way we went about it. Had Milner scored the penalty I'm sure much more flak would have headed in Claude's direction for setting up so negatively.

And why do you think setting up to attack would have got a better result?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree, setting up so negatively is a risky plan, and takes a bit (a lot) of luck, which generally we've had the 4 times we've played them this season.

If Milner puts the penalty away, or Forster doesn't make a few fantastic saves, we lose and Puel gets criticised for an offensively shambolic display (4 shots, 0 on target is poor, no matter who you're playing).

But credit where credit is due, Puel set up to draw and that's what we got. Hopefully we offer a bit more offensively on Wednesday as I cannot see us getting the same luck we've had in our games against Liverpool and also I can't see Arsenal being as bad as Liverpool were today.

When Mourinho does this at Anfield, parking the bus and getting a nil-nil, he is described as a tactical genius. Puel will never get credit in the eyes of some no matter what he does.

The difference being that Puel does it home to Hull as well.

People are really complaining about getting a point away at Liverpool...

Don't think there is much complaints about the point.

More the setup, approach and another game where we've had zero shots on target (1 off)

2 league games vs Liverpool with Puel and we've not managed a single shot on target in either game.

+ our 10th failed attempt in league to beat a top 6 side this season.

Today had some pluses (parked bus well, FF pen save and performance and a point is credible) and some minuses (above)

Was also bit surprised we were time wasting at the end, was a performance and ending like when Plymouth went there and drew 0-0, all felt a bit odd. Especially the players celebrating at end.

People are really complaining about getting a point away at Liverpool...

This is a football forum, people are discussing football. I don't think anyone is complaining (not that I've seen) about getting a point, more the way we went about it.

A point in itself is a great result, however I think the performance pretty much summed up why Puel has so many doubters.

When Mourinho does this at Anfield, parking the bus and getting a nil-nil, he is described as a tactical genius. Puel will never get credit in the eyes of some no matter what he does.

When Mourinho does it, having spent hundreds of millions on his team, I don't think anyone describes him as a tactical genius do they?

Don't think there is much complaints about the point.

More the setup, approach and another game where we've had zero shots on target (1 off)

2 league games vs Liverpool with Puel and we've not managed a single shot on target in either game.

+ our 10th failed attempt in league to beat a top 6 side this season.

Today had some pluses (parked bus well, FF pen save and performance and a point is credible) and some minuses (above)

Was also bit surprised we were time wasting at the end, was a performance and ending like when Plymouth went there and drew 0-0, all felt a bit odd. Especially the players celebrating at end.

Before CB Fry gives one of his pertinent comments.

1/10. Very poor effort. It has been a long hard season. I am sure that you are getting tired. Are you on the beach already? Must try harder.

Before CB Fry gives one of his pertinent comments.

1/10. Very poor effort. It has been a long hard season. I am sure that you are getting tired. Are you on the beach already? Must try harder.

Thanks for covering. I was in the shower.

I don't mind performances and results like that at Anfield, I just wish we weren't repeating them for home games against Hull, Bournemouth and Be'er Sheva. Don't think I've ever been less interested going into a game against a big team TBH.

4 consecutive league games where we haven't scored - the second weekend in a row where we play our part in a match that's widely considered the worst of the weekend.

we've barely scored half the number of goals at home versus last season.

Puel is really creating a season to remember.

4 consecutive league games where we haven't scored - the second weekend in a row where we play our part in a match that's widely considered the worst of the weekend.

How'd you work that out? We scored twice at Chelsea.

4 consecutive league games? How long ago was Chelsea away?

4 consecutive league games? How long ago was Chelsea away?

2 games ago.

But 2 consecutive league games where we haven't scored doesn't sound as terrible so fu ck it let's just say it's four. Puel out.

I mean, we haven't won a single match since January.