Liverpool 0-0 Saints - Match & Reactions Thread

Heisenberg

MotM vs Liverpool (PL Away 2016/17)  

245 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Liverpool (PL Away 2016/17)

Some weirdos support this club.

You should see the ones that support Liverpool......and Chelsea, and Spurs, and......well I suppose even weirdos are entitled to support a team so every team takes its share.

As a weirdo myself, I quite liked the team selection today, although I'd have still liked it if Redmond had played ahead of Boufal as there's hardly a fag paper between them, both excellent players in my weird opinion. On the wider point, I do think Puel has done very well to have managed the team over more games than any other Prem club apart from Man U and to have got us in with a decent chance of a top ten finish, as well as a cup final appearance, despite long-term injuries to key players such as Austin and Van Dijk. A draw at Anfield is an achievement worthy of celebration, especially when our team effectively have nothing to play for, whereas Liverpool are looking to confirm Champions' League qualification. Well done Saints, and Well Done Claude.

I actually think you are disappointed FF saved the pen..... Pathetic excuse for a fan you truly are

Lying again ? Careful, you are making a name for yourself .

I was happy for him . Always thought he was a top keeper . Strange how his performances dropped once your hero Puel joined Saints .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Yeah, because Italian strikers just aren't used to playing in teams set up to not get beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet you ignore the lack of service he receives against poor sides also .

Strikers want to score goals .

Just seen Bertrand is in Garth Crooks team of the week. Wouldn't be the first player from the team today that I'd pick but we know he's clueless with his choices. What takes the **** is his comment that Klopp should pay whatever it takes to get him to Anfield. This sort of thing is disrespectful and makes him look even more of a tool. I know players are easily taken from us but the media are so in to the big clubs it's sickening.

Last season was an utter embarrassment, we didn't score for 7 games running. Everton, Watford, WBA ,Stoke, Palace, Norwich & Boscombe. Obviously we scored in the games between those fixtures , but I'm not counting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the last two months Saints have now gone 827 minutes without having a single shot on target. Puel out.

If you check the context of my post, you will find that I was responding to a statement that said we were generally rubbish against 18 teams in the league !

Being 10th renders that impossible, that was my point, nothing more !

Rubbish doesn't mean we lost . Rubbish as in our style of play . The poor , disjointed and boring displays that Puel lives for .

When Mourinho does this at Anfield, parking the bus and getting a nil-nil, he is described as a tactical genius. Puel will never get credit in the eyes of some no matter what he does.

To qualify as a tactical genius you need to perform against more than one team .

I think Puel is terrible but I can't fault the point . We did have several chances where a better functioning attack could have reaped rewards though .

Puel wanted to avoid defeat even at the expense of a win .

Didn't realise MOTD 2 had been renamed the Jurgen Klopp show..... bias as usual. I'm surprised they even bothered with a post match interview with Puel - you hardly saw him in the highlights in comparison.

Mignolet handled outside the box, we should have been playing against ten men. A good point. Should give us confidence against Arsenal.

As for Fraser, well done. 2 good saves. Always good to annoy my Pool supporting friends.

Can't complain about an away draw at one of the big sides, and having struggled against the top sides in recent times I cant blame Puel and the team for being very compact and not throwing bodies forward...but it was painful to see how limited we have become in comparison to three seasons ago.

The balance between attack and defence is something we have not really got right all season. We are either too expansive or too cautious, too top heavy or too many men behind the ball. Solving that problem is not easy. Its not simply a case of a change of formation or playing an extra attacking midfielder, IMO it's a problem caused by not having the players Puel needs. Central midfield is an issue as is the wide players. We don't dominate in the middle and we give the ball away too cheaply out wide. The signing of Classie, Hoj and Boufal have left us exposed and we either need replacements or a serious step up in performance next season. Overall the side looks short of quality. We can hold our own, but where we used to have players with the quality to dominate teams, we now hold on for grim life. You can still win games, and we do, but we cant match the top sides, playing their game. There is no shame in that, but no one can deny we are not the side we once were. The solution? Recruit better player and find and recruit better youngsters. Obvious, but not simple.

A post which should be sent on to to Les Reed - or whoever will be making decisions about the squad next season.

1. The game is won by the team who commit fewer errors.

2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.

3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it’s better to encourage their mistakes.

4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.

5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.

6. Whoever has the ball has fear.

7. Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger.

1. The game is won by the team who commit fewer errors.

2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.

3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it’s better to encourage their mistakes.

4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.

5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.

6. Whoever has the ball has fear.

7. Whoever does not have it is thereby stronger.

Machiavelli?

Must be the most nil nils we've ever had in a season?

I make it 7. Liverpool x2, Hull, Bournemouth, Stoke, Leicester, Be'er sheva. The Liverpool games are the only ones that didn't feel missed opportunity.

A good summary from BBC: "But instead of a siege on Forster's goal, what they witnessed during that opening period were their players joining the Saints on the beach."

I'd say that was a rubbish and lazy summary. Our defence certainly wasn't on the beach, nor were Forster or Romeu...

Puel tactics were spot on today as he knew our current form does not lead to many goals. Fraser was excellent and so was the whole of our defence with another clean sheet to take us back into top half of the table.

Good point at Anfield, no doubt. Bobby Madley is a grade A Homer though. Twice in a row he has given a dodgy late penalty to a big club at home against us. Someone needs to have a word with him in the car park next time he comes to SMS.

Thought he had a good game ... certainly wound the scousers up with a few decisions. & what was wrong with penalty?? Stephens clearly moves his upper arm to the ball!

A good summary from BBC: "But instead of a siege on Forster's goal, what they witnessed during that opening period were their players joining the Saints on the beach."

Hopelessly wrong summary.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with whether I like or dislike Puel. My beef was against his team selection and tactics and the poor standard of our football today. Just my opinion and sorry if it differs from yours. Merely giving an honest appraisal on what I saw. Ok we got a point which was clearly the result CP wanted but I wasn't impressed with the way we went about it. Had Milner scored the penalty I'm sure much more flak would have headed in Claude's direction for setting up so negatively.

And had Tadic scored the last minute pen v Hull would he have had a lot less flak, frankly I doubt it (not on here anyway) !

Thought he had a good game ... certainly wound the scousers up with a few decisions. & what was wrong with penalty?? Stephens clearly moves his upper arm to the ball!

Yes, clear penalty for me as well. Kingsbridge has a point though, I bet if forster had handled outside the box instead of mignolet it would have been picked up on, and probably won them the game. Those sort of decisions are usually the ones that refs never seem to give against a big club at home.

Yes, clear penalty for me as well. Kingsbridge has a point though, I bet if forster had handled outside the box instead of mignolet it would have been picked up on, and probably won them the game. Those sort of decisions are usually the ones that refs never seem to give against a big club at home.

He did his best to make it difficult for us when we beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last season too, and was the ref to give Dele Alli a penalty at White Hart Lane when he dived earlier in the season (although most seem to be happy to do that!). Not a ref I enjoy having.

He did his best to make it difficult for us when we beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last season too, and was the ref to give Dele Alli a penalty at White Hart Lane when he dived earlier in the season (although most seem to be happy to do that!). Not a ref I enjoy having.

edit: not the one where Alli dived against us, can't remember who it was against this time but it was widely accepted as a dive (or 'clever play' because he's English)

Must be the most nil nils we've ever had in a season?

I make it 7. Liverpool x2, Hull, Bournemouth, Stoke, Leicester, Be'er sheva. The Liverpool games are the only ones that didn't feel missed opportunity.

Agree that in those games we either had our moments (Bournemouth, Leicester, Hull), or controlled the game (Stoke, Be'er Sheva), but equally the opposition had more than a handful of chances to win the game (Hull, Bournemouth, Leicester, Liverpool x2). I remember the Stoke game being particularly frustrating, but it was part of a batch of 3 games in a week where we beat Boro and Bournemouth, so didn't feel so disastrous in hindsight.

Even at the start of the season it was apparent we were going to be in for a lot of 0-0s and 1-0s, because we lost Mane and replaced him with Redmond & Boufal, who are not the same calibre of goal threat even if they may yet prove to be good players. It's more surprising lately that we are struggling though, as now we have Gabbiadini and we did go through a brief period where we looked great going forward!

Against Chelsea we played some nice football but it was too open and we got tonked. Poor tactics from the manager. Against Liverpool we tighten up and get a point. Poor tactics from the manager.

When did we get so big that a point at Liverpool is anything other than a great result.

Against Chelsea we played some nice football but it was too open and we got tonked. Poor tactics from the manager. Against Liverpool we tighten up and get a point. Poor tactics from the manager.

When did we get so big that a point at Liverpool is anything other than a great result.

Again, no one has said it isn't... the performance on the other hand (offensively)...

Edited by SKD

Again, no one has said it isn't... the performance on the other hand...

The performance got the point why are people trying to separate them? We played a good away ( especially in context if playing a top 4 side) performance that had we been better at counter attacking, got a goal, and won one nil it would have been pretty much the perfect away performance.

No one wants to see us play like that at home but away to a top 6 side yesterday was the right way to go about things.

Well, I didn't see the game, due to family duties, but that doesn't stop other people commenting and wibbling on.

Seems like a disciplined performance, with the players undertaking their disciplinary duties well. (I saw some of Palace's defending the other day, which was a complete contrast!)

Our lack of bite up front is a worry. We know Gabbi has the ability but we don't appear to be supporting him well enough. Tadic and Boufal can both be exciting players, and from the latter I'm sure there's a lot more to come as he realises what this league requires and his decision making improves, but on the pitch together it's not happening.

Don't know about you lot but I still look forward to games as I prefer a more optimistic view on life, so roll on Wednesday and a game under lights. I'm also going to take the optimistic view that Southern won't cancel the last train home, as in spite of my outlook I still find a mild liquid sedative beforehand helps...

And surely Ken Dodd's dad's dog's dead.

Didn't realise MOTD 2 had been renamed the Jurgen Klopp show..... bias as usual. I'm surprised they even bothered with a post match interview with Puel - you hardly saw him in the highlights in comparison.

Mignolet handled outside the box, we should have been playing against ten men. A good point. Should give us confidence against Arsenal.

As for Fraser, well done. 2 good saves. Always good to annoy my Pool supporting friends.

It wasn't a red card offence. There was a defender there as well and Tadic was running away from goal towards the corner of the pitch.

The performance got the point why are people trying to separate them? We played a good away ( especially in context if playing a top 4 side) performance that had we been better at counter attacking, got a goal, and won one nil it would have been pretty much the perfect away performance.

No one wants to see us play like that at home but away to a top 6 side yesterday was the right way to go about things.

We had 4 shots (according to sky, I can only remember 1 tbh) 0 of which were on target. It's easy to say if we had been better at counter attacking, however the way we set up made that very difficult for the players to do so.

Could the same not be said about Liverpool, if Milner hadn't missed a penalty or if Forster had pulled off a great save they would have won..?

Ultimately I'm not saying we should have gone and all out attack Liverpool, but to me it looked like we had no intention what so ever to try and get a goal. In fact it looked like the players were so afraid of being out of position (maybe instructed by the manager) that the felt it would be wrong to try and push forward.

I'm all for playing on the counter, in fact I'd say it's probably the most effective tactic (look at Leciester) but you have to offer some sort of attacking threat, which we didn't.

If we were scrapping for our lives then I could accept that we would set up for a 0-0 and hope to nick one, but we have very little to play for. Why not at least try and have a go, even if it is on the counter.

No reason why we couldn't have set up defensively while showing more composure and quality when we did have the ball. It is a misconception to think the two are at odds with each other. Forget creating chances, let alone nicking a goal, we struggled to do the offensive basics right - far too often we gave the ball away cheaply and hit aimless long balls.

In order not to be defeated by Saints again, Liverpool successfully bought mane from saints last summer. This time, in order to defeat Saints, Liverpool must consider buying Forster from saints at any costs.

The most amusing thing was Jamie Carragher co-commentating on the match. You could just hear him getting more and more agitated and desperate as the seconds ticked away without a Mane less Liverpool scoring.

Mind you it was good of him a few weeks ago to tell everyone the best way to play against Liverpool for those who hadn't worked it out already :lol:

The only person on the beach is the 'reporter' that wrote that.

We have scored 3 goals in 6 games. That's not good enough in any league at any level.

Patently it is, because we are currently 10th in the highest league in the country. There are an awful lot of clubs below us, or hadn't you noticed?