Re-examining and learning from history

badgerx16

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Interestingly 6 of the 20 F1 drivers on the grid for today’s Austrian Grand Prix refused to take a knee. Fair play to them for not giving in to Hamilton, who is coming across more and more as a belligerent kn*b.

Brave people. Max verstappen was already my favourite F1 driver and this just confirms it. Well done to all of them. 

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Interestingly 6 of the 20 F1 drivers on the grid for today’s Austrian Grand Prix refused to take a knee. Fair play to them for not giving in to Hamilton, who is coming across more and more as a belligerent kn*b.

Was he also the only one not wearing a mask ?

16 hours ago, whelk said:

Bless them. Few Saintwebbers hiding their face?

23A3B936-A82F-44B8-AB63-E974E17F0475.jpeg

Looks like a cheeky white power sign to boot. Certainly wouldn’t be surprised if there were a few saintswebbers in there - hiding behind a keyboard or under a banner is not all that different.

Edited by shurlock
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

And you're the mod here? Not going to be very impartial now is it....essentially calling BLM an offensive organisation. Might as well call the thread "we think BLM are a bunch of black marxists" christ.

15 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

And you're the mod here? Not going to be very impartial now is it....essentially calling BLM an offensive organisation. Might as well call the thread "we think BLM are a bunch of black marxists" christ.

Most people I've seen who support the BLM organisation are white. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Most people I've seen who support the BLM organisation are white. 

Not any more!

The new line is that there were NO BLM marches, they were George Floyd marches / protests.  

Give it another couple of weeks and BLM will probably be classed as fake news that the racists invented.

28 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

Eh? That post was nothing to do with BLM or Marxism. I was criticising Lewis Hamilton who seems to be harassing other drivers into jumping through the hoops he is holding up for his own agenda.

27 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Eh? That post was nothing to do with BLM or Marxism. I was criticising Lewis Hamilton who seems to be harassing other drivers into jumping through the hoops he is holding up for his own agenda.

That agenda being to end racism.

What a cunt.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That agenda being to end racism.

What a cunt.

No, his agenda being BLM specifically. Every other driver was wearing an ‘end racism’ T-shirt but he had to be special and wear BLM. He also made a point of taking his mask off so his face could be seen in all the photos.

His stance is that if you’re silent you’re part of the problem, whilst he himself has been saying nothing of note until the Floyd incident in the US. He has also been completely silent on hundreds of social injustice issues around the world, so by his own standard he is part of the problem.

He can use his voice and SM however he wants, to spread whatever message he chooses but he has no right demanding compliance from everyone else in the paddock.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

No, his agenda being BLM specifically. Every other driver was wearing an ‘end racism’ T-shirt but he had to be special and wear BLM. He also made a point of taking his mask off so his face could be seen in all the photos.

His stance is that if you’re silent you’re part of the problem, whilst he himself has been saying nothing of note until the Floyd incident in the US. He has also been completely silent on hundreds of social injustice issues around the world, so by his own standard he is part of the problem.

He can use his voice and SM however he wants, to spread whatever message he chooses but he has no right demeaning compliance from everyone else in the paddock.

He probably thought it would have more impact if they all made the same gesture - I agree with him on that.

I don't think he should have a go at others for not joining in, it's up to any individual to decide what they want to do, but seeing as his motivation is to end racism I don't think any less of him for trying to get the message across as effectively as possible.

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

He probably thought it would have more impact if they all made the same gesture - I agree with him on that.

I don't think he should have a go at others for not joining in, it's up to any individual to decide what they want to do, but seeing as his motivation is to end racism I don't think any less of him for trying to get the message across as effectively as possible.

Whilst driving for a company who supported the Nazis in WWII. 

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I kind of see it the other way, rather like taking the knee before Premier League games. You can’t not do it, so to me the message is somewhat diminished. His motivations may be pure but his actions are somewhat confrontational and may do more harm than good.

Just now, st.bangkok said:

Whilst driving for a company who supported the Nazis in WWII. 

I don’t hold that against him and I really think all sides need to move on from the past. He has previously modelled for Hugo Boss who, if we’re going to dig up old skeletons, designed the uniforms for the SS. He might chose to drive a Porsche, even though their founder Ferdinand Porsche designed tanks for the Nazis too. BMW built engines for Messerschmitts etc. There’s nothing to be gained from this kind of point scoring.

Just now, Lighthouse said:

I kind of see it the other way, rather like taking the knee before Premier League games. You can’t not do it, so to me the message is somewhat diminished. His motivations may be pure but his actions are somewhat confrontational and may do more harm than good.

I don’t hold that against him and I really think all sides need to move on from the past. He has previously modelled for Hugo Boss who, if we’re going to dig up old skeletons, designed the uniforms for the SS. He might chose to drive a Porsche, even though their founder Ferdinand Porsche designed tanks for the Nazis too. BMW built engines for Messerschmitts etc. There’s nothing to be gained from this kind of point scoring.

As it happens I agree, i was just waiting for the left side to come back and say something similar so I could ask them why we have to forget the past wrong doings of Mercedes and Co., but statues of people from the past and my own ancestors are not forgiven yet. Hypocrisy at its best.

2 minutes ago, shurlock said:

Yep pal - the person behind the woman. Its looks even clearer on twitter.

You realise that the OK symbol being racist was created as a joke on 4chan designed to troll people? Rather like how they spread a rumour that drinking milk was also racist and there was plenty of mad articles about that as well. 

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You realise that the OK symbol being racist was created as a joke on 4chan designed to troll people? Rather like how they spread a rumour that drinking milk was also racist and there was plenty of mad articles about that as well. 

A scumbag defending a scumbag and still pleading innocence despite the obvious context. Top work.

Edited by shurlock

26 minutes ago, shurlock said:

A scumbag defending a scumbag and still pleading innocence. Top work.

Stating a fact is now "defending." Hilarious.

People climbing a hill, holding a white lives matter banner and making an OK sign with their hands are wasting their time and doing it deliberately to provoke a reaction. The idea that the OK symbol is racist is mental. The association was deliberately created so that people like you would screech about it and to prove that 4chan could turn anything into a racist symbol and you've fallen for it. 

Criticise them all you want for being stupid enough for doing it. I expect they realised exactly what reaction they would get and probably did it in order to draw attention to their organisation. Rather like when 4chan created the idea of the racist OK sign in the first place, they were counting on a ridiculous overreaction from something innocuous which completely proves their point. I'm sure the person involved will be delighted that he's hooked someone in with OK symbol and got him all hot under the collar about it. Rather than getting all upset about a pretend "racist" hand gesture, why not simply laugh at a piss poor attempt by a troll to try to get a rise out of the usual sort of reactionaries who fall for this stuff. If you consider that a defence then fair enough!

Edited by hypochondriac

6 minutes ago, whelk said:

Laughable

Not at all. There's loads at these marches and invariably the most vociferous voices on social media are white. Most of the loud voices protesting so loudly about not being racist on here have said they are white so why should it be different elsewhere? The book white fragility has been bought in the millions and if you look for that online it's predominantly a white customer base. I expect for a lot of black people involved it's actually about real racism whereas a lot of these white people it's something else entirely. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/06/12/we-need-to-talk-about-black-lives-matterm/

Have a look at the photo of the Hyde Park BLM demonstration in this very apposite article and observe the sea of white middle class attendees, all trying to out-woke each other.

I haven’t seen so many white people since Jon  Snow attended Glastonbury. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Stating a fact is now "defending." Hilarious.

People climbing a hill, holding a white lives matter banner and making an OK sign with their hands are wasting their time and doing it deliberately to provoke a reaction. The idea that the OK symbol is racist is mental. The association was deliberately created so that people like you would screech about it and to prove that 4chan could turn anything into a racist symbol and you've fallen for it. 

Criticise them all you want for being stupid enough for doing it. I expect they realised exactly what reaction they would get and probably did it in order to draw attention to their organisation. Rather like when 4chan created the idea of the racist OK sign in the first place, they were counting on a ridiculous overreaction from something innocuous which completely proves their point. I'm sure the person involved will be delighted that he's hooked someone in with OK symbol and got him all hot under the collar about it. Rather than getting all upset about a pretend "racist" hand gesture, why not simply laugh at a piss poor attempt by a troll to try to get a rise out of the usual sort of reactionaries who fall for this stuff. If you consider that a defence then fair enough!

Keep digging and making yourself look an even bigger cunt. While you're looking for your mask of civility that keeps dropping these days, you might want to check what the ADL says about white lives matter as a white supremacist phrase and white power signs when there is offending context. Remember this is the same ADL you were ever so happy to cite as gospel when you were defending in your characteristically weasel way the use of your avatar, so you can't have it both ways pal. 

Edited by shurlock

6 minutes ago, shurlock said:

Keep digging and making yourself look an even bigger cunt. While you're at it, you might want to check what the ADL says about white lives matter as a white supremacist phrase and white power signs when there is offending context. Remember this is the same ADL you were giddily happy to cite as gospel in your characteristically weasel way when you were defending the use of your avatar, so you can't have it both ways pal.

It's not digging at all. Was the notion of the OK symbol being a white power symbol created by 4chan in order to prove that anything could be appropriated to be racist? Yes or no?

Also I'm not a big fan of the ADL at all. People like you are the ones who take what it says as gospel not me. However if even they are calling into question the idea of a frog as racist then the chances are it isn't at all...

Edited by hypochondriac

28 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not digging at all. Was the notion of the OK symbol being a white power symbol created by 4chan in order to prove that anything could be appropriated to be racist? Yes or no?

Its not especially relevant given the particular circumstances. As your trusted sources at the ADL point out, not only have white supremacists themselves been participating in such trolling tactics but some white supremacists have abandoned the ironic or satiric intent behind the original trolling campaign and used the symbol as a sincere expression of white supremacy (as Christchurch mosque killer did in court). As ever context is critical -and when you're holding up a massive 40ft white supremacist banner (per your fav source the ADL's designation) and have a website with lurid references to reversing the decline in the White British population, the association is more than circumstantial pal.

Edited by shurlock

1 hour ago, Wes Tender said:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/06/12/we-need-to-talk-about-black-lives-matterm/

Have a look at the photo of the Hyde Park BLM demonstration in this very apposite article and observe the sea of white middle class attendees, all trying to out-woke each other.

Definitely at least one black guy in this pic:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/18/man-rescued-by-uk-black-lives-matter-protester-is-ex-police-officer

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Does that count though?  Even the Guardian are calling him a 'black lives matter protester' in the title of their article.  Surely it should be a 'George Floyd protester'?

9 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Does that count though?  Even the Guardian are calling him a 'black lives matter protester' in the title of their article.  Surely it should be a 'George Floyd protester'?

Could be called either, doesn’t matter.

My point was that it obviously wasn’t all middle class white kids at the protests as you made out because the fellas handing out a beating to the statue protectors were clearly mostly black.

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

My point was that it obviously wasn’t all middle class white kids at the protests as you made out because the fellas handing out a beating to the statue protectors were clearly mostly black.

Wasn't called either.

Wasn't me that 'made it out'.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

I'd like to see a Venn diagram of the attendees at extinction rebellion, antifa marches and black lives matter protests. I bet there'd be quite some cross over.

Happy to have this as post number 30k.

Edited by hypochondriac

For someone who professes not to support the alt right, you know an awful lot about their culture hypo.
Also I wonder what difference it makes what colour skin people have when they march to support equality for racial minorities.

Lastly I am intrigued to know how you know so much about the protesters motives.

40 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

For someone who professes not to support the alt right, you know an awful lot about their culture hypo.
Also I wonder what difference it makes what colour skin people have when they march to support equality for racial minorities.

Lastly I am intrigued to know how you know so much about the protesters motives.

it's one solitary fact about where the OK symbol originated from. For someone who professes to hate Tommy Robinson, you know an awful lot about him. Certainly more than me. 

The colour comment was only brought up because someone else brought up that the protestors were all black which was incorrect. It seems that some posters on here know what the motives are considering the likes of aintforever have assured us that all protestors were their for racial equality and to protest George Floyd and nothing else. I simply pointed to the racist graffiti and violent signs from various protests along with the stated aims of the black lives matter organisation to question that narrative. 

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd like to see a Venn diagram of the attendees at extinction rebellion, antifa marches and black lives matter protests. I bet there'd be quite some cross over.

Happy to have this as post number 30k.

Be good to see one for Brexit voters, WLM protesters, Conservative voters, climate change deniers, Trump sympathists, Covid19 conspiracists and IQs under 75, but to be honest a perfectly round circle really isn't very exciting. 

Edited by Earthworm Jim

This is an interesting topic, despite the debate descending towards the usual tit-for-tat exchanges between a few posters.

Amongst the bullshit , paranoia and social media witch hunting there is a serious issue here, and it concerns black Americans and their struggle for "equality". The plight of black Americans bears little comparison to those in the UK however. The first "Windrush" immigrants arrived here as welcome, much needed and free men and women, with jobs and homes waiting for them, albeit mostly at the lower end of the social spectrum, as Britain has a chronic labour shortage after WW2. It's true a very small minority took offense at this steady influx of foreigners, and in so doing besmirched the general good name of this country. However, the far right have had so little general influence down the years that they're seen more of a laughing stock than a serious threat to common decency (re the brownshirts  in 30's for example).

We have lived in a tolerant society that openly embraces many aspects of our miriad cultures. My life would be a lot poorer without Ska and curry that's for sure, as shallow as that sounds....  I may be missing something here but it seems that where once we reacted to racism, now we actively seek it out. Statues should stand, Alf Garnet should be aired if only to remind us of our past ignorance and signal the progress we as a nation have made. To appologise or attempt to erase our past is missing the point entirely and is counter productive ultimately.

We seem to be on a very dangerous path where free speech is being censored however. People are having their lives ruined for a bad joke or a misconstrued comment, Tim Hunt is a good example of a victim of the woke Nazis. The police will happily send 6 men to kick your door in if your accused of a racist comment, but tell you to fuck off if you've been burgled claiming they don't have the resources.

And "taking the knee" before every PL game, it's getting boring now and the effect is diluted every time it happens. The FA had a kick it out campaign which was enough IMO, it's not as if black players are under represented in this country any more.....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

This is an interesting topic, despite the debate descending towards the usual tit-for-tat exchanges between a few posters.

Amongst the bullshit , paranoia and social media witch hunting there is a serious issue here, and it concerns black Americans and their struggle for "equality". The plight of black Americans bears little comparison to those in the UK however. The first "Windrush" immigrants arrived here as welcome, much needed and free men and women, with jobs and homes waiting for them, albeit mostly at the lower end of the social spectrum, as Britain has a chronic labour shortage after WW2. It's true a very small minority took offense at this steady influx of foreigners, and in so doing besmirched the general good name of this country. However, the far right have had so little general influence down the years that they're seen more of a laughing stock than a serious threat to common decency (re the brownshirts  in 30's for example).

We have lived in a tolerant society that openly embraces many aspects of our miriad cultures. My life would be a lot poorer without Ska and curry that's for sure, as shallow as that sounds....  I may be missing something here but it seems that where once we reacted to racism, now we actively seek it out. Statues should stand, Alf Garnet should be aired if only to remind us of our past ignorance and signal the progress we as a nation have made. To appologise or attempt to erase our past is missing the point entirely and is counter productive ultimately.

We seem to be on a very dangerous path where free speech is being censored however. People are having their lives ruined for a bad joke or a misconstrued comment, Tim Hunt is a good example of a victim of the woke Nazis. The police will happily send 6 men to kick your door in if your accused of a racist comment, but tell you to fuck off if you've been burgled claiming they don't have the resources.

And "taking the knee" before every PL game, it's getting boring now and the effect is diluted every time it happens. The FA had a kick it out campaign which was enough IMO, it's not as if black players are under represented in this country any more.....

You make some valid..IMO...but I don't think  taking the knee (which i'm not particularly fan of as it's just virtue signalling..although i'm not actually opposed either) has anything to do with how many players play in the premier league...although if you were to then ask "Why are there so many black footballers, in comparison to other professions such as politics, law, then that might be an interesting debate...it just wouldn't be an interesting debate  on here!

34 minutes ago, kyle04 said:

While I agree substantial progress has been made in some areas (and direct comparisons with the US are not helpful), in many others it is still depressingly slow. If only some minority groups had seen real improvements in their labour market and job prospects. And those prospects weren't determined by factors outside their control...

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/1468-4446.12676

Hard data and evidence eh - no competition with cuddly anecdotes it seems for far too many.

Edited by shurlock

22 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Be good to see one for Brexit voters, WLM protesters, Conservative voters, climate change deniers, Trump sympathists, Covid19 conspiracists and IQs under 75, but to be honest a perfectly round circle really isn't very exciting. 

You're a bit of a supremacist  yourself, aren't you? What a shame that you seem to despise so many of your fellow countrymen (or should that be countrypersons?) and that there are so many of them, enough Brexit voters to form a majority in the referendum and enough Conservative voters for the party to be elected to govern the country. It must really upset you deeply on a daily basis. 😒

Just now, Wes Tender said:

You're a bit of a supremacist  yourself, aren't you? What a shame that you seem to despise so many of your fellow countrymen (or should that be countrypersons?) and that there are so many of them, enough Brexit voters to form a majority in the referendum and enough Conservative voters for the party to be elected to govern the country. It must really upset you deeply on a daily basis. 😒

Unfortunately being a "supremacist" comes unintentionally when people set the bar so damn low.