Re-examining and learning from history

badgerx16

14 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Does anyone know which 'Black Lives Matter' the England Cricket Board are supporting?  Presumably it's not the one that the PL has invented so must be the Marxist one that wants to defund the police?

no need to piss your union jack pants:

Tom Harrison, ECB Chief Executive Officer, said: “The England and Wales Cricket Board fully support the message that Black Lives Matter. It has become a message of solidarity and a drive for progress and societal change. There can be no place for racism in society or our sport, and we must do more to tackle it.

“Our support of that message is not an endorsement, tacit or otherwise, of any political organisation, nor the backing of any group that calls for violence or condones illegal activity.

“We are aware of certain aspects of the movement that promote their own political views, and their actions are not supported in any way by the ECB and our players.

“This moment is about unity. We are proud that our players will stand alongside those from the West Indies and wear a logo that embodies that philosophy. It is fitting that they do so in solidarity with athletes from the football world who wore it first. Our thanks go to Troy Deeney and his partner Alisha Hosannah, creator of the logo, who generously agreed to share it with us.

Just now, aintforever said:

no need to piss your union jack pants:

Tom Harrison, ECB Chief Executive Officer, said: “The England and Wales Cricket Board fully support the message that Black Lives Matter. It has become a message of solidarity and a drive for progress and societal change. There can be no place for racism in society or our sport, and we must do more to tackle it.

“Our support of that message is not an endorsement, tacit or otherwise, of any political organisation, nor the backing of any group that calls for violence or condones illegal activity.

“We are aware of certain aspects of the movement that promote their own political views, and their actions are not supported in any way by the ECB and our players.

“This moment is about unity. We are proud that our players will stand alongside those from the West Indies and wear a logo that embodies that philosophy. It is fitting that they do so in solidarity with athletes from the football world who wore it first. Our thanks go to Troy Deeney and his partner Alisha Hosannah, creator of the logo, who generously agreed to share it with us.

So they are supporting equality, not the political group you, Soggy and co have been frantically applauding for weeks. In fact they make a point of distancing themselves from any political group. They and you are supporting different things pal. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So they are supporting equality, not the political group you, Soggy and co have been frantically applauding for weeks. In fact they make a point of distancing themselves from any political group. They and you are supporting different things pal. 

I have never supported any of the political groups involved, just the message and the need to promote equality.

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I have never supported any of the political groups involved, just the message and the need to promote equality.

Ah okay, so when you were banging on about how great it all was, the protests were all great, the waving of BLM banners and attacks on the police, whilst not great but were just a few people getting over excited, the taking the knee, wearing black lives matter messages on badges and football shirts, how anyone that didn't agree was thick and racist and no one really understood what the BLM movement was about, especially the "simpletons" that mentioned about how they said they wanted to defund the police, what you meant was you didn't support any of it either, just that you arent racist. Got it. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

The polarization in America at least have meant tribal identity is more important than policies. There are basically no pro life democrats or pro choice republicans left as one of many examples. I get very frustrated when an argument has been attached to a person or group rather than as separate thing to be considered on its own. I see such things done on here for "fun" with certain posters instead of engaging with the topic.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ah okay, so when you were banging on about how great it all was, the protests were all great, the waving of BLM banners and attacks on the police, whilst not great but were just a few people getting over excited, the taking the knee, wearing black lives matter messages on badges and football shirts, how anyone that didn't agree was thick and racist and no one really understood what the BLM movement was about, especially the "simpletons" that mentioned about how they said they wanted to defund the police, what you meant was you didn't support any of it either, just that you arent racist. Got it. 

I've never supported attacks on the police, I also said no one should go on protests during a pandemic.

You appear to be easily confused. I would recommend you read the ECB and Premier Leagues statements then you might understand a bit more about what they are standing for, it's nothing political.

48 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I've never supported attacks on the police, I also said no one should go on protests during a pandemic.

You appear to be easily confused. I would recommend you read the ECB and Premier Leagues statements then you might understand a bit more about what they are standing for, it's nothing political.

Do you think that among the thousands of people that have thrown over a million at the BLM fundraiser, there will be people who have supported them because they believe the organisation is the same as the ones supported by the Premier league and other sporting organisations? I'd say that was a pretty irresponsible thing for a multi million pound business to get themselves entangled in, hence the speedy clarification statement. 

46 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you think that among the thousands of people that have thrown over a million at the BLM fundraiser, there will be people who have supported them because they believe the organisation is the same as the ones supported by the Premier league and other sporting organisations? I'd say that was a pretty irresponsible thing for a multi million pound business to get themselves entangled in, hence the speedy clarification statement. 

Well at least it’s clear to everyone now so you don’t have to worry about the police being defunded or whatever it was.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

It's fantastic news that the ECB has clariifed it does not support the political organisation or illegal activity (like protest marching whilst Coronavirus laws are in place).

Not so good that there would now appear to be a third 'Black Lives Matter' movement / organisation - the original, Marxist one that the ECB does not support, the one that the Premier League created and that the ECB have borrowed the logo from and now their own version.

You can see how the message might be confusing for some.

43 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's fantastic news that the ECB has clariifed it does not support the political organisation or illegal activity (like protest marching whilst Coronavirus laws are in place).

Not so good that there would now appear to be a third 'Black Lives Matter' movement / organisation - the original, Marxist one that the ECB does not support, the one that the Premier League created and that the ECB have borrowed the logo from and now their own version.

You can see how the message might be confusing for some.

The thick are always easily confused 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah...but not everyones as confused as you.

• Haha 1

Well at least it’s clear to everyone now so you don’t have to worry about the police being defunded or whatever it was.

Do you think if I were to start selling coca cola that coca cola would think it's clear that I wasn't them if I made a statement distancing myself from them? 

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Do you think if I were to start selling coca cola that coca cola would think it's clear that I wasn't them if I made a statement distancing myself from them? 

Hang on are you reselling cans of Coca Cola you have bought... or have you invented you're own soda based caffeine drink based drink & are now passing it off as Coca Cola?

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Tesco sell coca-cola and they are not them.

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Tesco sell coca-cola and they are not them.

To be honest that confused me ..I thought 'Is this the real Coca Cola or Tesco's Cola?...then i thought 'Hang on are the Premier League & The ECB supporting the idea of defunding the police?'  Then i had to lie down for a bit..then I typed out all the stuff in my head on a football message board.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

Hang on are you reselling cans of Coca Cola you have bought... or have you invented you're own soda based caffeine drink based drink & are now passing it off as Coca Cola?

I've created a soda called coca cola but it's actually dish water in a can. Coca cola shouldn't have a problem though because I've released a statement beforehand to let people know I'm nothing to do with coca cola so it should be clear to everyone. 

14 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Do you get confused in the fizzy drinks aisle at Tescos as well then?

I would do if there were two drinks with very similar or identical packaging called coca cola. I think that would still be very difficult to distinguish between. Clearly that's not something that coca cola would allow though because they would be worried that there wouldn't be a clear enough distinction between the two no matter how many clarifying statements were made. 

Edited by hypochondriac

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I would do if there were two drinks with very similar or identical packaging called coca cola. I think that would still be very difficult to distinguish between. Clearly that's not something that coca cola would allow though because they would be worried that there wouldn't be a clear enough distinction between the two no matter how many clarifying statements were made. 

It’s a bullshit analogy. Coca Cola is a brand of drink, Black lives matter is an anti-racism slogan and also a name for a bunch of anti-racist groups. 

12 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It’s a bullshit analogy. Coca Cola is a brand of drink, Black lives matter is an anti-racism slogan and also a name for a bunch of anti-racist groups. 

It's not a bullshit analogy at all. I chose it to highlight the fact that there's clearly going to be some confusion for however long the black lives matter organisations in sport continue to use the same name as a far left organisation that was created a decade ago. Clarifying statements won't cut it I'm afraid and I expect they will start dropping the black lives matter part once the fad has passed in a few weeks. 

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's not a bullshit analogy at all. I chose it to highlight the fact that there's clearly going to be some confusion for however long the black lives matter organisations in sport continue to use the same name as a far left organisation that was created a decade ago. Clarifying statements won't cut it I'm afraid and I expect they will start dropping the black lives matter part once the fad has passed in a few weeks. 

And yet you're eager to argue that the Okay sign isn't a white power symbol on account of its origins. In that case, you'd presumably agree that since BLM was a slogan long before it had a formal organisation around it, everything subsequent to that original meaning is irrelevant?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think clarifying statements cut it for most people, I can see why racists want to make it a political issue though, classic way of trying to discredit a good cause.

• Confused 1

A better analogy would be The acronym WWF being used by the World Wildlife Fund and World Wrestling Federation. Clearly it would be hard to confuse the two when given any context but eventually the wrestlers changed to WWE to save confusion.

I don’t really understand why organisations such as the PL persist with BLM, when plenty of other anti-racism slogans are available, which also encompass more than just black people. It would save a lot of tedious bickering.

22 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I've discussed this with plenty of people and not a single person was confused by it. But you clearly are; this would suggest that the problem is actully your comprehension skills.

30 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

A better analogy would be The acronym WWF being used by the World Wildlife Fund and World Wrestling Federation. Clearly it would be hard to confuse the two when given any context but eventually the wrestlers changed to WWE to save confusion.

I don’t really understand why organisations such as the PL persist with BLM, when plenty of other anti-racism slogans are available, which also encompass more than just black people. It would save a lot of tedious bickering.

Agreed. Like someone else mentioned, they had a perfectly good existing organisation with kick it out. I think everyone would agree with it had they gone down that route in the first place. 

51 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

And yet you're eager to argue that the Okay sign isn't a white power symbol on account of its origins. In that case, you'd presumably agree that since BLM was a slogan long before it had a formal organisation around it, everything subsequent to that original meaning is irrelevant?

Was it? I certainly hadn't heard it in common parlance before the formation of the organisation. By contrast, I doubt there's many people alive who doesn't understand what the okay symbol means. If the okay sign becomes a commonly accepted racist gesture for the next decade and not just a 4chan joke devised last year (and before that something completely inoffensive for decades) then maybe you'll have a point. 

Edited by hypochondriac

39 minutes ago, StDunko said:

I've discussed this with plenty of people and not a single person was confused by it. But you clearly are; this would suggest that the problem is actully your comprehension skills.

And yet the Premier league and all over subsequent sporting organisations who have started using it have felt it necessary to issue clarifications and caveats to their support for black lives matter, there's reports that the Premier league captains want to issue a statement about it and some F1 drivers did not want to kneel for fear that they would be confused for another organisation. How curious that they would consider it necessary to do those things if there was no confusion. 

I assume he wouldn't have an issue if the drink in question was milk... 

Edited by Earthworm Jim

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

And yet the Premier league and all over subsequent sporting organisations who have started using it have felt it necessary to issue clarifications and caveats to their support for black lives matter, there's reports that the Premier league captains want to issue a statement about it and some F1 drivers did not want to kneel for fear that they would be confused for another organisation. How curious that they would consider it necessary to do those things if there was no confusion. 

Well they’ve done it now so even the dumbest among us now know they don’t want to defund the police. Yet you are still desperate to make it an issue, can’t think why.

31 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Well they’ve done it now so even the dumbest among us now know they don’t want to defund the police. Yet you are still desperate to make it an issue, can’t think why.

And like I already explained to you, having the exact same name as an extremist group that's been around for over a decade means that the confusion will persist all the time that they use the exact same name. There will be a sizable percentage of people who won't have viewed this clarifications. My guess is they will quietly drop it in a few weeks like I said. It was obviously a bad idea to call it the same thing in the first place. Your desperate to downplay it, can't think why. 

Edited by hypochondriac

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Was it? I certainly hadn't heard it in common parlance before the formation of the organisation. By contrast, I doubt there's many people alive who doesn't understand what the okay symbol means. If the okay sign becomes a commonly accepted racist gesture for the next decade and not just a 4chan joke devised last year (and before that something completely inoffensive for decades) then maybe you'll have a point. 

It began as a hashtag on Twitter and Facebook responding to the acquittal of George Zimmerman. It was subsequently taken up by three activists as the name of a foundation they established, which later turned into a global network of loosely affiliated chapters.

Either way, the original hashtag had nothing to do with Marxism.

So, why are you assuming that people are marching and kneeling for the organisation, and not for the sentiment that existed before it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

It began as a hashtag on Twitter and Facebook responding to the acquittal of George Zimmerman. It was subsequently taken up by three activists as the name of a foundation they established, which later turned into a global network of loosely affiliated chapters.

Either way, the original hashtag had nothing to do with Marxism.

So, why are you assuming that people are marching and kneeling for the organisation, and not for the sentiment that existed before it?

I'm saying there's enough ambiguity there to be a cause for concern. It's also clear that "black lives matter" has been synonymous with the black lives matter organisation virtually since its inception. One of the founders is a self described Marxist who has described how the organisation has an ideological foundation. To pretend that black lives matter is actually nothing to do with the organisation of the same name that has been operating almost since it started is dishonest. 

49 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Perhaps these organisations realise that there is a small minority of other people out there with poor comprehension skills like you.  It doesn't change the fact that I, and everyone else I've discussed this with really didn't find it remotely confusing.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, StDunko said:

Perhaps these organisations realise that there is a small minority of other people out there with poor comprehension skills like you.  It doesn't change the fact that I, and everyone else I've discussed this with really didn't find it remotely confusing.

Why would they bother making any statements if it's such an unimportant and irrelevant minority of thick people? Really odd way for multi millionaire companies to behave- pandering to a tiny minority of dummies. Really makes you think. 

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Why would they bother making any statements if it's such an unimportant and irrelevant minority of thick people? Really odd way for multi millionaire companies to behave- pandering to a tiny minority of dummies. Really makes you think. 

Honestly, you will never get any of these left leaning types to admit any error, wrong thinking or mistake. They are perfect, all of them. Anyone who disagrees with their way of thinking is wrong/bad/thick/racist etc. Every one I know with vitue signalling, superior left leaning views gets angry as hell when shown to be wrong, hypocritical and they always start to shift the argument, goal posts and view slightly so as to move you away from their original statements. I have no idea why they are made this way. But it is very sad that they cannot see that in so many ways, they are their ilk are the root of many of these problems. 

I have lived and worked in many counties in the last 22 years and i have been subjected to racism, as a white skinned person. I have colleagues and mates who are black. We have an African American in our office here. He sometimes comes to read over my shoulder and thinks you leftys are loons. He wants no part of BLM and what they are doing. He agrees racism exists on both sides and says it always will. Like me, he is subjected to it here in Thailand. Like me he knows the vast majority of people could not give a damn about colour. The only reason it remains an issue is because the left keep insisting on it being an issue and love their labels. Breixt = Racist. Wont take a knee = Racist. Love your country = Racist. Disagree with them in any way on any subject = Racist. They cannot see that they are themselves the Nazi Fascist types> no one is allowed an alternative view in their world. Alt View = Racist.

Wake up lefties. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, st.bangkok said:

Honestly, you will never get any of these left leaning types to admit any error, wrong thinking or mistake. They are perfect, all of them. Anyone who disagrees with their way of thinking is wrong/bad/thick/racist etc. Every one I know with vitue signalling, superior left leaning views gets angry as hell when shown to be wrong, hypocritical and they always start to shift the argument, goal posts and view slightly so as to move you away from their original statements. I have no idea why they are made this way. But it is very sad that they cannot see that in so many ways, they are their ilk are the root of many of these problems. 

I have lived and worked in many counties in the last 22 years and i have been subjected to racism, as a white skinned person. I have colleagues and mates who are black. We have an African American in our office here. He sometimes comes to read over my shoulder and thinks you leftys are loons. He wants no part of BLM and what they are doing. He agrees racism exists on both sides and says it always will. Like me, he is subjected to it here in Thailand. Like me he knows the vast majority of people could not give a damn about colour. The only reason it remains an issue is because the left keep insisting on it being an issue and love their labels. Breixt = Racist. Wont take a knee = Racist. Love your country = Racist. Disagree with them in any way on any subject = Racist. They cannot see that they are themselves the Nazi Fascist types> no one is allowed an alternative view in their world. Alt View = Racist.

Wake up lefties. 

Yeah, crazy lefties like SkyTV, The Premier League, Formula 1 and the ECB. :lol:

8 hours ago, StDunko said:

Certainly seems like the most logical thing to do.  Put out a statement for the small minority of stupid people which will cost time and money, rather than continue using their existing slogan and campaign which has no ambiguity and is understood by everyone who's ever seen it.  Kick It Out, simples.

But, definitely not bandwagon hopping or virtue signalling in any way shape or form.

3 hours ago, st.bangkok said:

How do you feel about the Guardian being founded by a slavery sort? Surely it should be shut down no?

Is it owned by a slavery sort? I don't think you can just shut companies because they were founded hundreds of years ago through slavery. That's akin to killing someone because their relatives owned slaves. 

However, perhaps they should offer reparations. 

20 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Is it owned by a slavery sort? I don't think you can just shut companies because they were founded hundreds of years ago through slavery. That's akin to killing someone because their relatives owned slaves. 

However, perhaps they should offer reparations. 

Maybe you should delve into your family lineage and when you discover something unsavoury maybe you should pay reparations. 

5 hours ago, st.bangkok said:

How do you feel about the Guardian being founded by a slavery sort? Surely it should be shut down no?

No, I don't think any company should be shut down purely because it has historical links to slavery. I would imagine there are quite a few in the UK.

Dumb suggestions like that and ridiculous ideas like pulling down Churchill's statue or changing the monkey on Coco Pops are just irrelevant distractions from what is a genuine, serious issue.

Edited by aintforever

7 minutes ago, aintforever said:

No, I don't think any company should be shut down purely because it has historical links to slavery. I would imagine there are quite a few in the UK.

Dumb suggestions like that and ridiculous ideas like pulling down Churchill's state or changing the monkey on Coco Pops are just irrelevant distractions from what is a genuine, serious issue.

I agree with that but some of this idiocy is taken seriously which is a problem. 

5 hours ago, aintforever said:

Yeah, crazy lefties like SkyTV, The Premier League, Formula 1 and the ECB. :lol:

What choice do they really have, considering the vitriol that would come their way if they’d have done things differently? Which is the problem here, anyone who dares to not toe the line gets labelled. 

And since you mentioned F1, did notice that not all drivers took the knee? Are they racist? 

9 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

What choice do they really have, considering the vitriol that would come their way if they’d have done things differently? Which is the problem here, anyone who dares to not toe the line gets labelled. 

And since you mentioned F1, did notice that not all drivers took the knee? Are they racist? 

Sorry, I must have missed all the vitriol aimed at the F1 drivers, was there actually any or are you just making it up?

I guess some idiots on twitter might have said something but Even Hamilton said he respected their decision. I haven't seen any vitriol in the media.