Re-examining and learning from history

badgerx16

17 hours ago, Wes Tender said:

So the Lib Dumbs have appointed Sir Ed Davey as their leader beating pan-sexual Layla Moran 2-1 in the vote. Well, there wasn't much choice from among their 11 MPs was there, and I suppose that he was the least bad option available, as hardly anybody will have heard of any of them, apart from the boy Farron, who didn't set the world on fire the last time he led the party. The last leader they had with more than an ounce of charisma, was Nick Clegg. What became of him? 😉

Just a random comment or am I missing the link to racism, history etc?

3 hours ago, whelk said:

Wes needs to get his 'Lib Dumbs' quip on as many threads as possible, in the hope that eventually he will find somebody that thinks it is amusing.

5 hours ago, whelk said:

It was difficult to know where to post it. On reflection, the news didn't warrant a new thread, as hardly anybody would be enthralled enough to care much about the party's new leader. I did consider a thread called "Sir Ed Davey and the death of the Lib Dem Party",  but they are in their terminal throes of life anyway. Even a third of their own membership couldn't muster enough enthusiasm to vote in the election of their own leader.

The only tenuous historical connection would be consideration of their decline from one of the two great political parties of the 19th and early 20th century into virtual political irrelevance.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, whelk said:

Are they making him white? That would be a bold move

Talking of which should white wine be rebranded? It's never really white is it, more a yellowy colour. It might make wine more inclusive if we abolished the racist naming convention.

On 24/09/2020 at 19:42, Weston Super Saint said:

The Colston hall has now been renamed. Three years they've been considering a new name - long before BLM - the greatest creative minds in Bristol managed to come up with the imaginative Bristol Beacon.

Isn't it just easier going forward to never name anything after someone just in case morals and values change in the distant future and they have to go through all the trouble of renaming it again? Bristol Beacon sounds like just the sort of bland, forgettable name that suits that criteria perfectly. You can have that for millennia and no one will complain. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair, would have expected black history month to be the perfect time for BLM marches up and down the country, but nothing...  Odd really, it's almost as if it was a fad that died out really quickly.

Don’t worry, they’ll be back marching next spring/summer. Black lives matter, but only when when the sun is shining. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair, would have expected black history month to be the perfect time for BLM marches up and down the country, but nothing...  Odd really, it's almost as if it was a fad that died out really quickly.

They’ve got a to protest about at the moment. Police brutality in Nigeria for one. I understand the Nigerian police are absolutely shamed at their own actions after seeing 20 students protesting at Southampton guildhall.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Now fairy tale of New York is homophobic 

over it ugh GIF by NBPA

"Your an old slut on junk" directly labelling the woman as an old, promiscuous druggy. That lyric stays in, without comment from anyone. 

"your a cheap lousy faggot" has to go. In the context of the song, the fella is straight. 

Crazy world. 

13 minutes ago, egg said:

"Your an old slut on junk" directly labelling the woman as an old, promiscuous druggy. That lyric stays in, without comment from anyone. 

"your a cheap lousy faggot" has to go. In the context of the song, the fella is straight. 

Crazy world. 

No they are getting rid of the word slut too- blanking it out apparently. I'm not that bothered really because I don't listen to radio 1 anyway but isn't it amusing that it's the youngsters who supposedly want this censored. Sad state of the world when young people are more censorious than their parents. 

Edited by hypochondriac

This isn't really news. This from 2018:

https://www.stereogum.com/2025451/the-pogues-shane-macgowan-fairytale-of-new-york-censor/news/

"MacGowan has issued a statement to Virgin Media’s The Tonight Show addressing the lyrics. “The word was used by the character because it fitted with the way she would speak and with her character. She is not supposed to be a nice person, or even a wholesome person,” he said. “She is a woman of a certain generation at a certain time in history and she is down on her luck and desperate.”

“Her dialogue is as accurate as I could make it but she is not intended to offend! She is just supposed to be an authentic character and not all characters in songs and stories are angels or even decent and respectable, sometimes characters in songs and stories have to be evil or nasty in order to tell the story effectively,” the statement continued. “If people don’t understand that I was trying to accurately portray the character as authentically as possible then I am absolutely fine with them bleeping the word but I don’t want to get into an argument.”

McDermott returned to Twitter to respond to MacGowan, clarifying that no one on his team tried to get the song banned from RTÉ. “I get the dysfunctional characters and mayhem and trading of insults,” he said. “My point was we beep out relatively harmless swear words all the time on radio to appease literally everyone… So, the idea of beeping one word on daytime radio didn’t seem so radical — given this particular word packs a lot of punch for many people and is used as a powerful slur outside this song.”"

Sensible explanation from MacGowan and a reasonable observation from some other geezer that, certainly during non-watershed hours, songs are censored all the time. No one is trying to stop people enjoying the original but you wouldn't have a song with loads of "niggers" or "muthafukas" left uncensored and broadcast during the daytime as entertainment - even in the context of an authentic narrative - and I don't think this is qualitatively different. 

Edited by benjii

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No they are getting rid of the word slut too- blanking it out apparently. 

Sad times. I read something about a word in the second verse going, but couldn't see what that could be. Perhaps it was pointing to slut. 

17 minutes ago, egg said:

Sad times. I read something about a word in the second verse going, but couldn't see what that could be. Perhaps it was pointing to slut. 

Yep it's slut and faggot which they are changing to "haggard." Everyone thinks the BBC is a joke anyway so it doesn't change much. Probably hastens their demise when they do things like this. 

22 minutes ago, benjii said:

This isn't really news. This from 2018:

https://www.stereogum.com/2025451/the-pogues-shane-macgowan-fairytale-of-new-york-censor/news/

"MacGowan has issued a statement to Virgin Media’s The Tonight Show addressing the lyrics. “The word was used by the character because it fitted with the way she would speak and with her character. She is not supposed to be a nice person, or even a wholesome person,” he said. “She is a woman of a certain generation at a certain time in history and she is down on her luck and desperate.”

“Her dialogue is as accurate as I could make it but she is not intended to offend! She is just supposed to be an authentic character and not all characters in songs and stories are angels or even decent and respectable, sometimes characters in songs and stories have to be evil or nasty in order to tell the story effectively,” the statement continued. “If people don’t understand that I was trying to accurately portray the character as authentically as possible then I am absolutely fine with them bleeping the word but I don’t want to get into an argument.”

McDermott returned to Twitter to respond to MacGowan, clarifying that no one on his team tried to get the song banned from RTÉ. “I get the dysfunctional characters and mayhem and trading of insults,” he said. “My point was we beep out relatively harmless swear words all the time on radio to appease literally everyone… So, the idea of beeping one word on daytime radio didn’t seem so radical — given this particular word packs a lot of punch for many people and is used as a powerful slur outside this song.”"

Sensible explanation from MacGowan and a reasonable observation from some other geezer that, certainly during non-watershed hours, songs are censored all the time. No one is trying to stop people enjoying the original but you wouldn't have a song with loads of "niggers" or "muthafukas" left uncensored and broadcast during the daytime as entertainment - even in the context of an authentic narrative - and I don't think this is qualitatively different. 

I get that but the inconsistency of focusing on "cheap lousy faggot" , whilst leaving alone "old slut on junk" directed at a woman made no sense. Slut is no less demeaning than faggot imo. It's probably only a matter of time before the ageist brigade pipe up as well. 

26 minutes ago, egg said:

I get that but the inconsistency of focusing on "cheap lousy faggot" , whilst leaving alone "old slut on junk" directed at a woman made no sense. Slut is no less demeaning than faggot imo. It's probably only a matter of time before the ageist brigade pipe up as well. 

When will they ban White Christmas? Surely that can be considered racist.

6 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Nah, 'Relax' was a shit song.  Banning it did everyone a favour.

At least there only censoring Fairytale, rather than banning the whole song. I guess people were a bit more delicate back in 1984!

Edited by wadesmith

19 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

Well you seem unhappy about the latest ban..so why wouldn’t you have been unhappy 36 years ago? Assuming you were around.

Not sure what point you're trying to make, i wasn't angry when they banned Ebeneezer Goode if you're suggesting that any ban should be something to get angry about.

Edited by Turkish
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/01/2021 at 13:05, Weston Super Saint said:

How are we getting on, can we declare racism extinct now?

Poor old aintclever so happy to applaud this one yet loads coming out now say how pointless it is. Guess it didn’t make the difference he told us it was. 

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Poor old aintclever so happy to applaud this one yet loads coming out now say how pointless it is. Guess it didn’t make the difference he told us it was. 

It clearly bothered loads of angry white men and there was time in its infancy that sent a message. Now absolutely run it’s course and had done months ago IMO. No one had the balls to say time up though for fear of being pilloried. The fact that it may stop doesn’t mean it never should have started. 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Fucking hell, you're like my own little stalker!

PM me your address and I will send you a signed photo and a pair of my used pants if you want?

Edited by aintforever
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, whelk said:

It clearly bothered loads of angry white men and there was time in its infancy that sent a message. Now absolutely run it’s course and had done months ago IMO. No one had the balls to say time up though for fear of being pilloried. The fact that it may stop doesn’t mean it never should have started. 

Sadly, I think that was always the motivation for a section of society.

3 hours ago, aintforever said:

Fucking hell, you're like my own little stalker!

PM me your address and I will send you a signed photo and a pair of my used pants if you want?

Not really a stalker hun, more of a case of chat shit get banged bruv.

33 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Is that a no to the pants then?

Would give you something to sniff while you follow me round the message board. :lol:

You offered them before, i declined then too, the amount of shit you come out with going anywhere near your pants is a dangerous game hun :lol: