BLM & Football

whelk

4 minutes ago, saint97 said:

What a depressing thread, full of dinosaurs. People mentioning the left wing vandalism but of course there's no mention of the FLA attacking the police is there 🙄

There probably would be if FLA was on the club’s shirt, and each and every game a gesture was made in support of FLA. 

2 hours ago, Ashby Saint said:

Why is this thread on the main Saints board as it is clearly a topic that should be placed in the Lounge?  There are quite a few posters on this thread, who I respect for their views on the Saints, but it is evident that I want to know as little about their wider political views as possible.    

Well that's the issue isn't it. The Premier League have made it a part of football, it's on every Saints players shirt and they all kneel at the start. It's part of the football discussion now. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, aintforever said:

I think it’s great that the lads took the knee today. It has been fantastic how the whole football community has stood together on this, ether you think the UK has a problem or not it has to be a positive.

Must really get up the nose of those racists among us.

It's important football takes the lead in showing us all how racist the world is. An industry which has provided more black millionaires than any other in the country, an industry where one in three of all new calls ups to the England team is black, an industry where week after week the brilliance of some black players is highlighted by the media with thousands of fans buying shirts with their names on the back or singing their names in the stand, yet is still apparently deeply entrenched in racism.

You are without question my favourite poster on any race related subject aintforever. If anyone is a role model for the anti racists its you. Bursting with pride at "the lads" taking the knee is the latest in a never ending conveyor belt of anti racism sentiments from you. I notice you've not yet mentioned that you cry every time you watch To Kill a Mocking bird, that's always a good one to keep in your pocket in case someone trumps you with their anti-racism.

24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's important football takes the lead in showing us all how racist the world is. An industry which has provided more black millionaires than any other in the country, an industry where one in three of all new calls ups to the England team is black, an industry where week after week the brilliance of some black players is highlighted by the media with thousands of fans buying shirts with their names on the back or singing their names in the stand, yet is still apparently deeply entrenched in racism.

You are without question my favourite poster on any race related subject aintforever. If anyone is a role model for the anti racists its you. Bursting with pride at "the lads" taking the knee is the latest in a never ending conveyor belt of anti racism sentiments from you. I notice you've not yet mentioned that you cry every time you watch To Kill a Mocking bird, that's always a good one to keep in your pocket in case someone trumps you with their anti-racism.

Cheers, you have to be one of my favourite posters on the subject as well.

“But I’ve got a black friend” - classic that one! Up there with “but I’ve got a Michael Jackson album” or “I’m only here to protect statues”. Cracking stuff, keep it up.

1 hour ago, saint97 said:

What a depressing thread, full of dinosaurs. People mentioning the left wing vandalism but of course there's no mention of the FLA attacking the police is there 🙄

They're supported by an extremely fringe group of people aren't they? So it doesn't seem like they need a lot of discussion because everyone is either indifferent to them or condemns them. That's not the case for BLM. 

4 hours ago, Ashby Saint said:

Why is this thread on the main Saints board as it is clearly a topic that should be placed in the Lounge?  There are quite a few posters on this thread, who I respect for their views on the Saints, but it is evident that I want to know as little about their wider political views as possible.    

Here’s an idea. Don’t read it you plum

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

In the same way that the originator of the Thursday clapping thing came out and gave permission for everyone to stop, I think BLM need to do something similar.

We've reached the point where the purpose of "awareness" has been achieved. Taking the knee at every match for infinity is not going to actually achieve anything, it's not going make people any more "aware". BLM/Premier League/Kick it out/etc need to agree some actual tangible actions from here, including lobbying the government.

Which was the point of my post but thick people tend not to understand things and Saintsweb is awash with the fckers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

Cheers, you have to be one of my favourite posters on the subject as well.

“But I’ve got a black friend” - classic that one! Up there with “but I’ve got a Michael Jackson album” or “I’m only here to protect statues”. Cracking stuff, keep it up.

Yes it's true, i have black friends, three actually plus their brothers, sister, parents and kids so im into double figures, the obvious way to spot a racist person is if they are friends with people who are black. We had a zoom call the other day, i took the knee and all i wanted to do was just say "sorry" over and over again. Glad you picked up on that though as you, Soggy and co need to keep calling this stuff out as well as pointing out your own anti racism as every opportunity. You Soggy and James Cordon are an inspiration in the war on racism,  keep up the great work!

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

What's your position on Driving Miss Daisy?

On 6/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, tajjuk said:

Dunno, Kaprenick was doing it 4 years ago, did racism, police brutality etc. end then? Here we are 4 years later going through the same stuff. 

It's a peaceful protest of solidarity for people who are continually facing oppression that literally threatens their lives, why does it bother you if footballers want to keep doing it? It doesn't impact you in any way. 

Taking a knee in itself is an act of oppression as no one would dare not to. The Kaprenik  example is really poor, by your own admission it has had no effect in four years,  its just caused further division as he is widely seen as subversive. If BLM was just about equality I wouldn't have an issue, its clearly not, it has been weaponised by the far left who are using to destabilise democracy. 

Edited by Toussaint
typo
  • Like 1

Kaepernick has not played since he made his stand , after several years NFL did a deal with him recently to compensate him.

The person in another post who was standing up while the rest of the team knelt will not be subject to denunciation by the President or unable to play for any team again ! 

4 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Kaepernick has not played since he made his stand , after several years NFL did a deal with him recently to compensate him.

The person in another post who was standing up while the rest of the team knelt will not be subject to denunciation by the President or unable to play for any team again ! 

In a hypothetical scenario where Alex Mccarthy stood whilst everyone else knelt during the last game, do you not think there woild be widespread denunciation and huge pressure on the club to get rid of him unless he relented? Because its really clear that that is what would happen. 

39 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Taking a knee in itself is an act of oppression as no one would dare not to. The Kaprenik  example is really poor, by your own admission it has had no effect in four years,  its just caused further division as he is widely seen as subversive. If BLM was just about equality I wouldn't have an issue, its clearly not, it has been weaponised by the far left who are using to destabilise democracy. 

I’m old enough to remember the aftermath of the Black Power salute at the olympics. That was a genuine & brave statement that ended up with them receiving death threats and effected their futures. More recently there was Andy Flower in Zimbabwe. Millionaire footballers “taking the knee” every single game, just doesn’t cut it. It’s like the Women’s institute arranging a petition, compared to what Smith, Flower & Carlos did. Let’s see some radical protests in European games in Eastern Europe or the World Cup in Qatar. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

In a hypothetical scenario where Alex Mccarthy stood whilst everyone else knelt during the last game, do you not think there woild be widespread denunciation and huge pressure on the club to get rid of him unless he relented? Because its really clear that that is what would happen. 

Maybe they all agreed in advance that it was a good idea?

Unlike many on here they have probably seen their friends and colleagues on the receiving end of racial abuse first hand so don't have an issue with making a gesture against racism.

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Maybe they all agreed in advance that it was a good idea?

Unlike many on here they have probably seen their friends and colleagues on the receiving end of racial abuse first hand so don't have an issue with making a gesture against racism.

I know footballers (well lower league ones and ex prem ones as my brother in law is an ex footballer) and if that group is anything to go by then there's a hell of a lot of opposition. I'd be very confident that their reactions would be very similar to the average current prem footballers as well. They wouldn't be able to discuss it publically though for the reasons already stated. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I know footballers (well lower league ones and ex prem ones as my brother in law is an ex footballer) and if that group is anything to go by then there's a hell of a lot of opposition. I'd be very confident that their reactions would be very similar to the average current prem footballers as well. They wouldn't be able to discuss it publically though for the reasons already stated. 

I guess we can only go by what they have actually said:

"We, the Players, stand together with the singular objective of eradicating racial prejudice wherever it exists, to bring about a global society of inclusion, respect, and equal opportunities for All, regardless of their colour or creed. This symbol is a sign of unity from all Players, all Staff, all Clubs, all Match Officials and the Premier League #blacklivesmatter #playerstogether.

I fail to see how anyone can have an issue with that statement, the fact that some do says it all really.

23 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I guess we can only go by what they have actually said:

"We, the Players, stand together with the singular objective of eradicating racial prejudice wherever it exists, to bring about a global society of inclusion, respect, and equal opportunities for All, regardless of their colour or creed. This symbol is a sign of unity from all Players, all Staff, all Clubs, all Match Officials and the Premier League #blacklivesmatter #playerstogether.

I fail to see how anyone can have an issue with that statement, the fact that some do says it all really.

As someone else has already pointed out to you, a statement "on behalf of all players" isn't actually from all of the players. The fact you think that all players are robots with one singular opinion and that because there hasn't been any dissenting voices because players know the consequences of doing that means that they all agree says it all really. 

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

As someone else has already pointed out to you, a statement "on behalf of all players" isn't actually from all of the players. The fact you think that all players are robots with one singular opinion and that because there hasn't been any dissenting voices because players know the consequences of doing that means that they all agree says it all really. 

I doubt they would make a statement that starts “we the players, stand together” without asking the fucking players.

19 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I doubt they would make a statement that starts “we the players, stand together” without asking the fucking players.

It's a bloody pr statement. Many players I know can barely string a sentence together, let alone write cogent and finely crafted sentences. Do you have any insight into how these sort of campaigns work? It's not quite the same thing but do you think for example that every player that attends duties on behalf of the club or does things for the saints foundation actually supports everything that goes on? Or do you think they're instructed to do it and told how to behave and go along with it for a quiet life? What do you think is more likely, that hundreds of individual players all share the exact same opinion on this issue or that there's a range of opinions with many of the players either having little interest in the specifics and being happy to put their name to something to keep the gaffer and the league happy or they don't agree with political statements in football but know that the consequences of dissent could very well cost them their jobs so keep their heads down and do as they're told? As I write this, an ex saints player is currently sharing an anti blm meme to a WhatsApp group I belong to. The fact that you think that footballers of all people just agree wholeheartedly with this initiative is not only hilarious, it's naive as well. 

Edited by hypochondriac

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's a bloody pr statement. Many players I know can barely string a sentence together, let alone write cogent and finely crafted sentences. Do you have any insight into how these sort of campaigns work? It's not quite the same thing but do you think for example that every player that attends duties on behalf of the club or does things for the saints foundation actually supports everything that goes on? Or do you think they're instructed to do it and told how to behave and go along with it for a quiet life? What do you think is more likely, that hundreds of individual players all share the exact same opinion on this issue or that there's a range of opinions with many of the players either having little interest in the specifics and being happy to put their name to something to keep the gaffer and the league happy or they don't agree with political statements in football but know that the consequences of dissent could very well cost them their jobs so keep their heads down and do as they're told? As I write this, an ex saints player is currently sharing an anti blm meme to a WhatsApp group I belong to. The fact that you think that footballers of all people just agree wholeheartedly with this initiative is not only hilarious, it's naive as well. 

Bit unless you are racist there is nothing to really disagree with in that statement.

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Bit unless you are racist there is nothing to really disagree with in that statement.

And comments like that demonstrate why black lives matter is such a genius marketing slogan. What's so controversial about antifa? If you don't support them your pro fascist right? 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Group of ex-Premier League footballers: 'hell of a lot of opposition'. I'm sorry but what utter bollocks. I'd love to hear who these ex-Premier League players are and what era they played in because it just doesn't support the truth. If they exist, I presume they are washed up has-beens from the 90s that didn't play more than 10 games of top flight football. 

It is simply untrue to say that lots of current Premier League players oppose this movement - I've actually been quite shocked by how strongly the white players have supported the campaign with many making financial contributions to the cause. The company I work for has done quite a bit of work with the PFA and Premier League delegates (ours is Oriol Romeu) unanimously wanted to take a knee after discussing it as a group of players within their clubs. Every Premier League club now has black players and with the rise of platforms like twitter and instagram, the racism that they receive online has woken a lot of players up to the issue.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

And comments like that demonstrate why black lives matter is such a genius marketing slogan. What's so controversial about antifa? If you don't support them your pro fascist right? 

What are you on about?

The players decided to show their support of a cause by making a gesture. They have explained in black and white what that gesture stands for (a generic statement about equality). It’s nothing political, it is basically just saying racism is bad.

15 minutes ago, Born In The 80s said:

Group of ex-Premier League footballers: 'hell of a lot of opposition'. I'm sorry but what utter bollocks. I'd love to hear who these ex-Premier League players are and what era they played in because it just doesn't support the truth. If they exist, I presume they are washed up has-beens from the 90s that didn't play more than 10 games of top flight football. 

It is simply untrue to say that lots of current Premier League players oppose this movement - I've actually been quite shocked by how strongly the white players have supported the campaign with many making financial contributions to the cause. The company I work for has done quite a bit of work with the PFA and Premier League delegates (ours is Oriol Romeu) unanimously wanted to take a knee after discussing it as a group of players within their clubs. Every Premier League club now has black players and with the rise of platforms like twitter and instagram, the racism that they receive online has woken a lot of players up to the issue.

Just wrong and laughable nonsense I'm afraid. Loads of footballers come from working class communities and quite a few of them give very few fucks about initiatives like this just like their mates who find the whole thing pretty cringy. I'm sure there's a group who are right on and happy to support the latest cause but I can assure you there's not the unanimous level of support for this that you think there is. Like I said though it's impossible to prove and you'll deny that's the case without proof but no one is going to stick their head above the parapet because the woke twitter stasi will be after them calling for their sacking. 

Edited by hypochondriac

9 minutes ago, aintforever said:

What are you on about?

The players decided to show their support of a cause by making a gesture. They have explained in black and white what that gesture stands for (a generic statement about equality). It’s nothing political, it is basically just saying racism is bad.

Antifa say that fascism is bad. What's so controversial about them? 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

In a non hypothetical senario she is white and was "respecting the flag" so she would not be abused by the President or be stopped from playing.

I realize it is pointless skirmishing the the "professionals" on here who have redefined the word pedantic.

That's a start, now a few more dissenting voices will begin to make themselves heard, Starmer distancing labour from BLM as he knows their true motives will gradually be revealed, nothing about race just another method to try to smash the system and make change in an undemocratic way. 

Henry's statement has been well received, also Le Tissier not comfortable with having to wear the BLM badge that sky are forcing on all their presenters , hopefully that will be dropped now. 

Sweet jeebus!  This thread...

I barely remember seeing a game these days where someone associated to a club has died and both teams, both sets of fans, match officials, staff, TV... stand for a minutes silence - EVERYONE does it and your diseased brains see that dropping to a knee to respect a world issue for 10 seconds by a worldwide recognised competition, live tv pictures to billions of people, educating some and respecting others, is now a "pressure".  FCK ME!  You don't know what pressure is.

Edited by notnowcato

Reported across various media:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8473931/Sky-Sports-pundit-Matt-Le-Tissier-says-review-wearing-Black-Lives-Matter-badge.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/matt-le-tissier-holds-talks-22275642

Interesting questions over BLM. I wonder if you can believe black lives matter while distancing yourself from the wider platform of the BLM organisation, which i gather supports defunding the police and destroying capitalism.

Bold love by MLT.

I am so so virtuous, I have a black friend and a brown friend.  We spend a lot of time together. They love their grub, chasing balls, sleeping, all sorts of things really. The brown one needs re programming though because he clearly doesn't believe cats lives matter, CLM bro, CLM!

I was following this on twitter yesterday. He basically insinuated that he is being forced to wear it. which is what many of us, rightly suggested that players / pundits are being forced into supporting BLM.. which ironically, is being a facist 😀

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Sweet jeebus!  This thread...

I barely remember seeing a game these days where someone associated to a club has died and both teams, both sets of fans, match officials, staff, TV... stand for a minutes silence - EVERYONE does it and your diseased brains see that dropping to a knee to respect a world issue for 10 seconds by a worldwide recognised competition, live tv pictures to billions of people, educating some and respecting others, is now a "pressure".  FCK ME!  You don't know what pressure is.

How long do they continue to drop on a knee for? until capitalism is abolished or until When the police force are defunded? 

I don’t think anyone has an issue with anti racism campaigns, such as kick it out etc.. but BLM has hard left political under tones, donations contribute to a left wing political party, their supporters act like thugs and actual facists. 

perhaps you’re the one with the ‘diseased brain’ that you either cannot think for yourself or cannot see the political agenda behind it. 

Ironically, this antifa communist mob were crying about lack of police spending only 6 months ago.. now they want funding abolished 😂

• Like 1

How can a movement that is promoting and seeking equality be described as a "far left ideology"?

Apart from all the good the BLM movement will hopefully do in the future the biggest thing this has highlighted to me is just how racist, thick and moronic the general public are. Fuck the lot of you that can't see what this all about. Genuinely, get fucking fucked. 

Edited by Saint_Jonny

15 minutes ago, SKD said:

I was following this on twitter yesterday. He basically insinuated that he is being forced to wear it. which is what many of us, rightly suggested that players / pundits are being forced into supporting BLM.. which ironically, is being a facist 😀

well well well now isn't that interesting. 

4 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

How can a movement that is promoting and seeking equality be described as a "far left ideology"?

Apart from all the good the BLM movement will hopefully do in the future the biggest thing this has highlighted to me is just how racist, thick and moronic the general public are. Fuck the lot of you that can't see what this all about. Genuinely, get fucking fucked. 

Here's a demonstration of the tolerance, empathy and kindness of Black Lives Matter supporters on full display here. Marvel at it all those with a different opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SKD said:

Amazing how many people think fascist means being made to do something, completely devalues the word. We really have a shocking education system, some people seemingly can't even spell fascist.

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

Amazing how many people think fascist means being made to do something, completely devalues the word. We really have a shocking education system, some people seemingly can't even spell fascist.

TBF it is related to the forcible suppression of opposition which is quite similar. I do agree though we shouldn't really use serious words like fascist too freely because as you rightly point out it devalues the word.

Rightly or wrongly he's risking being "de-funded" by Sky Sports himself. They will want a quiet life and they'd probably like the opportunity to update their current top five Soccer Saturday pundits and bring in one who isn't a white bloke.

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Here's a demonstration of the tolerance, empathy and kindness of Black Lives Matter supporters on full display here. Marvel at it all those with a different opinion.

If your different opinion is that we should be saying "AlL LiVeS MattEr" then I will happily refer you to my previous post. 

10 minutes ago, TWar said:

Amazing how many people (In twitter) think voting conservative makes you a fascist. 

agree with Hypo’s comment above. It’s a word thrown around too often and my comment re fascism was tit for tat, although, there are undertones of fascism in the way that the left go about their business (as demonstrated by the very tolerant TWar here). Disagree with anything they say you’re a racist a Tory etc. It borders on bullying on social media platforms. 

the reality is, there are very little actual racists and fascists in the UK, generally speaking were a very tolerant nation... however, this BLM movement and the hard left are throwing us back 100 years. 

Edited by SKD

7 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Karl Henry, called them a “self serving far left organisation”. Is he racist, moronic & thick? 

Instead of swearing and throwing insults around, why don’t you take some time to read the BLM website & their  go fund me page and then maybe you could take part in a serious discussion as to where their views & values are on the political spectrum. 

9 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

You need to read the Knee thread where the difference between support for a stop to people of colour being disciminated against / killed is one thing that the Prem and players are supporting and the wider BLM movement who want what they see as a different society altogether with various groups joining in with their own agendas.

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Amazing how many people (In twitter) think voting conservative makes you a fascist. 

Congratulations, you are both wrong. Doesn't make what you said any less stupid though.