Footballs biggest derbies

Turkish

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZhmeUVq6qiVTa9zM4NUSu-kHXhRsiQOC

Great little mini series from COPA 90 called ‘Derby Days’ which features an episode our very own rivalry. 

Boca & River episode is great. 

1 minute ago, saintquin said:

Surely the word "derbies" should be replaced with "rivalries" in truth!

Yes, Ajax v Feyenoord whilst heated isn't really a "derby", nor is Liverpool v Mancs. 

And Seattle v Portland, a distance of about 170 miles !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingsland Codger said:

Mildly surprised Villa v Birmingham isn't in the list.

Along with West Ham v Millwall.

(And Liverpool v Everton - although that is a "nice" derby with fans arriving together .. yawn....)

Edited by Badger

1 hour ago, saintquin said:

Surely the word "derbies" should be replaced with "rivalries" in truth!

Correct, Barca v Real Madrid is not a derby in any way, shape or form, it is a rivalry. Real v Atletico is a derby, Barca v Espanol. Silly list anyway, no mention of Saints v Cherries, of course because of their rule against a team having more than one entry, otherwise massive derby. Likewise Newport v Cowes, they're having a laugh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bananaman said:

A fair list, but Liverpool Utd as the top English derby? not sure about that. Two tourist teams. 

Well, I'd personally have Blooming v Oriente Petrolero considerably further up the list so it isn't THAT fair. 

Having been to our own Derby, nothing comes close to the raw hatred of Hereford v Shrewsbury. The only game where I've seen a grown man crawl over other people in the main stand to attack a family. Clearly not a massive derby, but the more localised, the more intense they can get.

Fenerbache and Galatasaray only at number 6?

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Having been to our own Derby, nothing comes close to the raw hatred of Hereford v Shrewsbury. The only game where I've seen a grown man crawl over other people in the main stand to attack a family. Clearly not a massive derby, but the more localised, the more intense they can get.

Fenerbache and Galatasaray only at number 6?

Chester v Wrexham is similar.

Stoke v Vale is evil as is Wolves v Baggies.

How West Ham v Millwall, Villa v Blues and Rovers v Burnley aren't on there is odd when Spurs v Arsenal is.

I always think "derbies" are a personal choice, ours is always going to be bigger than theirs etc. There will be fans in Sheffield wondering how they are rated below USA clubs when the distance between them is about 3 miles and when Derby day happens it halts the city. Although I enjoy a good Derby and especially enjoy beating Pomey, our Derby probably doesn't mean anything to Liverpool and Everton fans for example 

5 hours ago, vectraman said:

For pure atmosphere and hatred, although not club teams, Mexico Vs USA would take some beating...

In terms of international fixtures I'd have though England v Scotland would take some beating. Although most English are indifferent to it the Scots used to get pretty wound up by it, 1970's/80's Home Internationals. Always more than just a match to the jocks or so they'd be saying. Amused me how the Scots would come into it proclaiming it would be a re-enactment of the Battle of Bannockburn yet it often ended up as another Culloden.

12 hours ago, Stu_Saint said:

I always think "derbies" are a personal choice, ours is always going to be bigger than theirs etc. There will be fans in Sheffield wondering how they are rated below USA clubs when the distance between them is about 3 miles and when Derby day happens it halts the city. Although I enjoy a good Derby and especially enjoy beating Pomey, our Derby probably doesn't mean anything to Liverpool and Everton fans for example 

Nor would I expect it to, but unfortunately they and the media luvvies expect everyone and their dog to be fascinated by their personal squabble on Merseyside.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vectraman said:

For pure atmosphere and hatred, although not club teams, Mexico Vs USA would take some beating...

I’d say any Intra-Balkan match would be pretty heated as would Russia vs. Poland or Ukraine. The Turks and Greeks are always colourful when they get together too.