Saints in the England Squad

Paulwantsapint81

25 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

He's unlucky that there's so many players already in front of him, he'll have to be absolutely immense AND have a couple of the players ahead of him fall off a bit for Southgate to make the decision to change the established players.

However he does have the fact he’s also a very good left back in his favour. 

7 minutes ago, DT said:

KWP very good. Felt like the big boys didn’t want to pass to JWP much. And he was a bit passive for me. Shame. Should stamp his authority a bit more?

I thought JWP was one of England's best players, especially in the first half.

Screenshot_20220329-221904-926.png

Edited by trousers

JWP Rice Mount is Englands best midfield when playing defensively and Bellingham, Rice, Mount when we need to attack more. JWP should be on the plane over the likes of Phillips and Henderson comfortably as should Bellingham.

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Got to say, although I’m biased, but I don’t think KWP is doing himself any harm here whatsoever. Looking very good again.

You're not biased!   Any non-Saints fan (including Southgate) who has watched these two England games now knows what we lot have known for a couple of seasons......KWP is right up to International competition level; and has the left back, wing back versatility to strengthen his continued inclusion.

7 hours ago, TWar said:

JWP Rice Mount is Englands best midfield when playing defensively and Bellingham, Rice, Mount when we need to attack more. JWP should be on the plane over the likes of Phillips and Henderson comfortably as should Bellingham.

Yes but we know Henderson will be there so I think it's between JWP, Phillips and Gallagher maybe for that other midfield spot. 

Mount for me is out of form by the way, not seen a lot from him for Chelsea or England.  I would take JWP because he is getting better and better, his set pieces offer something genuinely world class and his fitness/work rate is pretty much unrivalled. Whereas Henderson and Phillips seem to have injury issues, taking an unfit Henderson to the Euros was a big mistake IMO, he was basically a waste of a squad spot. 

I also think you'd have to say on form Bellingham should start. He was very good last night and has been class for Dortmund as well. 

But on current form I think I'd also have JWP ahead of Mount as well, and England in the vast majority of games don't need 2 DMs, I don't know why Southgate does it, plus Bellingham and JWP are both competent enough defensively anyway. On current form I'd have Rice and then JWP/Bellingham playing in front of him.

6 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Yes but we know Henderson will be there so I think it's between JWP, Phillips and Gallagher maybe for that other midfield spot. 

Mount for me is out of form by the way, not seen a lot from him for Chelsea or England.  I would take JWP because he is getting better and better, his set pieces offer something genuinely world class and his fitness/work rate is pretty much unrivalled. Whereas Henderson and Phillips seem to have injury issues, taking an unfit Henderson to the Euros was a big mistake IMO, he was basically a waste of a squad spot. 

I also think you'd have to say on form Bellingham should start. He was very good last night and has been class for Dortmund as well. 

But on current form I think I'd also have JWP ahead of Mount as well, and England in the vast majority of games don't need 2 DMs, I don't know why Southgate does it, plus Bellingham and JWP are both competent enough defensively anyway. On current form I'd have Rice and then JWP/Bellingham playing in front of him.

Yeah that's fair, Bellingham over Mount is reasonable. Mount was very good for England though and I am reticent to drop him after a strong tournament because his club team no longer play a formation that facilitates him so well.

Phillips was fantastic last summer. He’s injured at the moment, but as soon as he’s fit, he’ll be back in the squad. Possibly get a move to a big club in the summer as well, which will also help his cause.

Henderson will also be in the squad and as one of only a few England players to have won anything with their club, I’m absolutely fine with that. You need winners in the dressing room. 

Rice is nailed on and imo our best player. 

Mount, like Henderson, is a southgate favourite so he’ll also be there. 

Bellingham not far behind Rice. 

i don’t know if there is room for another CM. If there is, it’s a toss up between Gallagher and JWP for me. Personally, I’d go Gallagher. 

Edited by Dman

I was at the game last night and thought both our lads did as well as they could, JWP effort level was top notch, appeared all over the pitch and always seemed to be looking for the ball, just a shame his screamer didn't dip under the bar.  KWP looked comfortable at this level, just hope they are both given another chance. 

First England friendly I've done for a few years and what an odd experience, I moan about St Mary's at times but the sheer lack of interest in the crowd is astounding, you've got the regular England fans in one end lower tier, then the rest of the ground is made up of day trippers and corporate club Wembley, booing Maguire seemed a strange thing to do, paper aeroplanes floating down from the stands getting the biggest cheer of the game, ground was virtually empty by the 80th min. Need to play more games away from Wembley in my opinion. 

Edited by JRM

9 hours ago, TWar said:

But we all know its not going to happen. Henderson will be there because Liverhamptons great season so he must have been an influence etc.... and Phillips because hes had big tournament experience. But theres along way to go,you never know Redmond has a purple patch from now on and just squeezes in........stranger things eh?

6 minutes ago, JRM said:

I was at the game last night and thought both our lads did as well as they could, JWP effort level was top notch, appeared all over the pitch and always seemed to be looking for the ball, just a shame his screamer didn't dip under the bar.  KWP looked comfortable at this level, just hope they are both given another chance. 

First England friendly I've done for a few years and what an odd experience, I moan about St Mary's at times but the sheer lack of interest in the crowd is astounding, you've got the regular England fans in one end lower tier, then the rest of the ground is made up of day trippers and corporate club Wembley, booing Maguire seemed a strange thing to do, paper aeroplanes floating down from the stands getting the biggest cheer of the game, ground was virtually empty by the 80th min. Need to play more games away from Wembley in my opinion. 

Yeh they should definitely at least do the friendlies on rotation, I've been to a few England friendlies and its always been a bit flat, in part because it's a 90k seater stadium. but you only get about 60-70k for those sort of games so huge areas are empty and they seem to still put people right at the top so the acoustics sound odd with lots of echoes.  Take them round the country to smaller grounds, cheaper prices and get a good atmosphere for the team. If you have to do Wembley, then give some tickets away or reduce the price a lot so it might sell out. 

Booing Maguire seems odd to me, yeh hes been crap for Utd but can't remember him doing anything wrong for England and plenty of players have performed well for country over club and vice versa, Pickford seems one for example, plays much better for England than he seems to do for Everton. Whereas a player like Gerrard was way below for England compared to his Liverpool form. 

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Phillips was fantastic last summer. He’s injured at the moment, but as soon as he’s fit, he’ll be back in the squad. Possibly get a move to a big club in the summer as well, which will also help his cause.

Henderson will also be in the squad and as one of only a few England players to have won anything with their club, I’m absolutely fine with that. You need winners in the dressing room. 

Rice is nailed on and imo our best player. 

Mount, like Henderson, is a southgate favourite so he’ll also be there. 

Bellingham not far behind Rice. 

i don’t know if there is room for another CM. If there is, it’s a toss up between Gallagher and JWP for me. Personally, I’d go Gallagher. 

Phillips wasn't fantastic, he was mildly combative and pundits pissed themselves to congratulate him. He was super negative going forwards, making very little and slowing our attack hugely. JWP would play his role 10 times better as he can actually create from deep. He's third in the league for chance creation behind Bruno and Trent.

If you'd pick Gallagher over JWP you are mental. JWP is miles ahead of him, and Henderson. Gallagher had had like half a good season ever. JWP has 26 goal contributions since the start of last season, more than every English mid including Mount and Grealish. He should be walking on to the plane.

• Like 5

Booing Maguire is utterly embarrassing and the sort of club first mentality that held us back all through the 2000s. When he has that England shirt on he is an England player and we should get behind him.

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

Phillips wasn't fantastic, he was mildly combative and pundits pissed themselves to congratulate him. He was super negative going forwards, making very little and slowing our attack hugely.

Super negative and slowing our attack down hugely clearly worked… 

1 hour ago, Dman said:

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

If you'd pick Gallagher over JWP you are mental. JWP is miles ahead of him, and Henderson. Gallagher had had like half a good season ever. JWP has 26 goal contributions since the start of last season, more than every English mid including Mount and Grealish. He should be walking on to the plane.

This is what I love most about the esteemed Saintsweb Internet Forum.... People can openly and respectfully express different opinions without resorting to the futile playground-esque "I'm right, you're wrong. No, I'm right, you're wrong" childish bun-fighting mentality of certain more inferior platforms. Long may it continue I say. Viva La Saintsweb.

Niños Peleando Tu Te Llevas Y No Te Aguantas GIF - Kids Fighting  YouCanDishItButYouCantTakeIt - Discover & Share… | Kids fighting, Cool gifs,  Make your own stickers

Edited by trousers

Euro 2020 had 26 man squads, which was unusual and I assume because of COVID concerns. FIFA haven't decided yet how big the squads will be for the World Cup 2022. If it's back to 23 then Gareth will have to cull 3 players - either his favourites or unpopular players in good form. I think we all know which way that will go.

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

Super negative and slowing our attack down hugely clearly worked… 

It's a team game, saying we did well so every player is the best one available is poor logic. We could have improved that starting 11 in a number of places.

2 minutes ago, igsey said:

Euro 2020 had 26 man squads, which was unusual and I assume because of COVID concerns. FIFA haven't decided yet how big the squads will be for the World Cup 2022. If it's back to 23 then Gareth will have to cull 3 players - either his favourites or unpopular players in good form. I think we all know which way that will go.

In fairness, ‘his favourites’ have never let him or England down. 

There could be many reasons for lack of form. Maguire as an example looks a shambles when in a United shirt but never puts a foot wrong in an England one. 

Players like Mount and Henderson are winners and leaders. Generally speaking, there’s a reason they’re at the top clubs and not bottom half clubs. If Gareth can get them performing like we know they can, who cares how they’re doing for their club. 

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

This is what I love most about the esteemed Saintsweb Internet Forum.... People can openly and respectfully express different opinions without resorting to the futile playground-esque "I'm right, you're wrong. No, I'm right, you're wrong" childish bun-fighting mentality of certain more inferior platforms. Long may it continue I say. Viva La Saintsweb.

Niños Peleando Tu Te Llevas Y No Te Aguantas GIF - Kids Fighting  YouCanDishItButYouCantTakeIt - Discover & Share… | Kids fighting, Cool gifs,  Make your own stickers

Happens, problem is when some posters get away with starting a new account after getting banned and coming straight back and calling other posters "c*nts" and saying they have disorders and are still welcomed to post here it creates an environment.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

It's a team game, saying we did well so every player is the best one available is poor logic. We could have improved that starting 11 in a number of places.

I think our defence is poor, therefore against the better teams we need to play 2 holding players and give up some creativity to build a solid foundation. 

Phillips played pretty much every minute, there was a reason for that. Both him and Rice gave us a solid foundation. 

Against the so called ‘weaker’ teams, we have more than enough (Bellingham, Mount or Gallagher) to bring in. 

Agree to disagree, but Phillips is vastly underrated in my opinion. 

32 minutes ago, TWar said:

Phillips wasn't fantastic, he was mildly combative and pundits pissed themselves to congratulate him. He was super negative going forwards, making very little and slowing our attack hugely. JWP would play his role 10 times better as he can actually create from deep. He's third in the league for chance creation behind Bruno and Trent.

Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips handed England player of the year gong by Declan Rice after Euro 2020 heroics (the-sun.com)

It seems like not many agree with you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I think our defence is poor, therefore against the better teams we need to play 2 holding players and give up some creativity to build a solid foundation. 

Phillips played pretty much every minute, there was a reason for that. Both him and Rice gave us a solid foundation. 

Against the so called ‘weaker’ teams, we have more than enough (Bellingham, Mount or Gallagher) to bring in. 

Agree to disagree, but Phillips is vastly underrated in my opinion. 

Our defence is fine. Stones, Trent, Walker, James are all regular starters for the three best teams in the world, Maguire and Shaw are champions league level players who were up for player of the tournament in the euros. Add to that Trippier, White, Tomori, KWP, Lampety, Konsa and any number of players who would walk into most international sides and won't even get called up most likely we should have plenty to build a good defence. We don't need three at the back and two DMs.

Southgate himself noticed this and played a 433 asking Phillips to push up into a more advanced role in a number of games. A role JWP would have been undeniably better at but Southgate didn't bother to bring him because he wanted too many fullbacks and CBs and to bring two players who weren't even fit to play.

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Our defence is fine. Stones, Trent, Walker, James are all regular starters for the three best teams in the world, Maguire and Shaw are champions league level players who were up for player of the tournament in the euros. Add to that Trippier, White, Tomori, KWP, Lampety, Konsa and any number of players who would walk into most international sides and won't even get called up most likely we should have plenty to build a good defence. We don't need three at the back and two DMs.

Southgate himself noticed this and played a 433 asking Phillips to push up into a more advanced role in a number of games. A role JWP would have been undeniably better at but Southgate didn't bother to bring him because he wanted too many fullbacks and CBs and to bring two players who weren't even fit to play.

We don’t need JWP to play in a more advanced role. Bellingham, Mount and imo Gallagher are better at that than Prowse. 

Against the better teams where we need 2 DM’s, Phillips is better than JWP at that. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree or else this will become another of those long and endless debates. 

My money is on Phillips being on the plane come November though (providing he / everyone is fit). 

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

We don’t need JWP to play in a more advanced role. Bellingham, Mount and imo Gallagher are better at that than Prowse. 

Against the better teams where we need 2 DM’s, Phillips is better than JWP at that. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree or else this will become another of those long and endless debates. 

My money is on Phillips being on the plane come November though (providing he / everyone is fit). 

Mount is, Bellingham and Gallagher are most certainly not. Mount Rice JWP is our best midfield in my opinion. JWP creates chances at a rate that only Grealish and Alexander-Arnold compete with in this team, and both should also be starting imo.

I agree though, Phillips will likely get the nod and it will be alongside TAA not starting, Tomori not getting called up, Mings being in the team, and Pickford starting as Southgates more notable errors.

Edited by TWar

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

Mount is, Bellingham and Gallagher are most certainly not. Mount Rice JWP is our best midfield in my opinion. JWP creates chances at a rate that only Grealish and Alexander-Arnold compete with in this team, and both should also be starting imo.

I agree though, Phillips will likely get the nod and it will be alongside TAA not starting, Tomori not getting called up, Mings being in the team, and Pickford starting as Southgates more notable errors.

And if he gets us to another semi or final of the tournament then he can continue to make “notable errors”. For someone who gets it so wrong, his record is fantastic. 

Failing that, they can give you the job and see how well we do…

FWIW, as someone who has followed England over the past 5 years, Pickford, Maguire etc. have never let us down and every time he’s played TAA has been bang average. 

Edited by Dman

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

And if he gets us to another semi or final of the tournament then he can continue to make “notable errors”. For someone who gets it so wrong, his record is fantastic. 

Failing that, they can give you the job and see how well we do…

Doubt I'd do great, I have no professional experience. His achievements have been impressive but you have to question how much of that is having the best available pool of players in world football (maybe outside of France). Our quality and depth of quality is just elite right now.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Doubt I'd do great, I have no professional experience. His achievements have been impressive but you have to question how much of that is having the best available pool of players in world football (maybe outside of France). Our quality and depth of quality is just elite right now.

So how can you say he’s made “notable mistakes” when his record is very, very good and you have 0 qualifications to make such judgements 😂

Just now, Dman said:

So how can you say he’s made “notable mistakes” when his record is very, very good and you have 0 qualifications to make such judgements 😂

We are on a football forum bud, none of us have qualifications to make our judgements. We are all just offering our opinions. When you said Ralph was worse at organising a defence than the manager of San Marino or any other one of your takes it wasn't off the back of your 2 year spell managing AC Milan was it?

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, TWar said:

We are on a football forum bud, none of us have qualifications to make our judgements. We are all just offering our opinions. When you said Ralph was worse at organising a defence than the manager of San Marino or any other one of your takes it wasn't off the back of your 2 year spell managing AC Milan was it?

Hahaha you couldn’t help yourself, could you. But It was based on the facts my friend. At the time of posting, England only stuck 4 or so past them, they set up with 11 men behind the ball to prevent getting a drubbing. 

The difference in class between San Marino and England is far, far greater than Us and United / Leicester, both of which managed to stick a record number past us. 

It’s about context, but we’ve already discovered you’re not very good/incapable of processing that, haven’t we.

So yes, the geezer who was / is running San Marino knew how to prevent his team taking a drubbing, unlike Ralph. 

Just like the facts that since southgate has arrived and made “notable mistakes”, in 2 tournaments we’ve recorded the best finishes since 1966. Long may those “notable mistakes” continue. 

Edited by Dman

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Hahaha you couldn’t help yourself, could you. But It was based on the facts my friend. At the time of posting, England only stuck 4 or so past them, they set up with 11 men behind the ball to prevent getting a drubbing. 

The difference in class between San Marino and England is far, far greater than Us and United / Leicester, both of which managed to stick a record number past us. 

It’s about context, but we’ve already discovered you’re not very good/incapable of processing that, haven’t we.

So yes, the geezer who was / is running San Marino knew how to prevent his team taking a drubbing, unlike Ralph. 

Just like the facts that since southgate has arrived and made “notable mistakes”, in 2 tournaments we’ve recorded the best finishes since 1966. Long may those “notable mistakes” continue. 

A lot of this is silly, but also off topic so probably best we leave it here.

39 minutes ago, Dman said:

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

A lot of this is silly, but also off topic so probably best we leave it here.

Season 4 Group GIF by Friends

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TWar said:

You’re kidding me? We’ve got a lot of depth but no real top quality. Compare our defence now to when we had Seaman in goal Neville and Cole as full backs and had centre backs Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, King and Woodgate to pick from. None of the current lot make the team and none of the centre backs make the squad. Any decent attacking team would fancy themselves against our back 4.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

He was super negative going forwards, making very little and slowing our attack hugely.

Didn't he provide a forward pass, which ultimately provided the assist to the winner against Croatia?

I was against Phillips getting the call up originally, but you cannot deny that he was one of our stars of that summer and surprised many with his level of performances. Given Leeds have dropped off so much in his absence is probably quite illustrative of how underrated he may have been by the masses.

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Didn't he provide a forward pass, which ultimately provided the assist to the winner against Croatia?

I was against Phillips getting the call up originally, but you cannot deny that he was one of our stars of that summer and surprised many with his level. 

He did provide an assist against Croatia, which was impressive, but it was one of 5 assists for club and country since being promoted to the prem in 2020. In that time JWP has provided over three times as many.

I thought he did OK in the group stages, with the exception of the Scotland game, but against tougher opposition I think he slowed us down. It didn't matter too much as Sterling and our other forwards were very good but would like to see a real box to box mid instead rather than a converted DM, especially since our country has some class box to box mids in JWP, Bellingham, Henderson etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You’re kidding me? We’ve got a lot of depth but no real top quality. Compare our defence now to when we had Seaman in goal Neville and Cole as full backs and had centre backs Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, King and Woodgate to pick from. None of the current lot make the team and none of the centre backs make the squad. Any decent attacking team would fancy themselves against our back 4.

Yeah we had a very strong defence back then, luckily we won't be competing against old England squads, we'll be up against other countries. When it comes to other countries I can't think of three countries who have better defence to pick from. Therefore saying our defence is poor is pretty inaccurate. 

Just now, trousers said:

IMO, the only way JWP gets into the World Cup squad is if Southgate drops Henderson... but I doubt that'll happen.

I think if Phillips continues to struggle with injury then JWP will get game time in the nations league and it will be in his hands to show he is a better option.

1 minute ago, trousers said:

IMO, the only way JWP gets into the World Cup squad is if Southgate drops Henderson... but I doubt that'll happen.

Yeah, I can't see that happening - injuries are probably JWP's only way in, the competition in that central area is quite strong. The set pieces give him a slight edge, but I did notice that none of his corners landed right yesterday yet the one taken by Foden, when he was off, was headed in.

13 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yeah we had a very strong defence back then, luckily we won't be competing against old England squads, we'll be up against other countries. When it comes to other countries I can't think of three countries who have better defence to pick from. Therefore saying our defence is poor is pretty inaccurate. 

Somewhat agree, I do think the top nations have better quality 'starters' though, maybe just not the same level of depth as us, especially at full back.

Varane, Pique, Kimpempbe, Laporte etc are on a different level to Maguire, probably a different universe really.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Somewhat agree, I do think the top nations have better quality 'starters' though, maybe just not the same level of depth.

Varane, Pique, Kimpempbe, Laporte etc are on a different level to Maguire, probably a different universe really.

Yeah CB is definitely a spot where we are below the absolute elite teams in the world, GK too, but our fullbacks are very good and Rice is an incredible DM so defensively I don't feel we are a long way off.

26 minutes ago, TWar said:

Like I said a lot of players but not a lot of real quality, especially when you compare it to past England defences. 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Like I said a lot of players but not a lot of real quality, especially when you compare it to past England defences. 

Trent, Walker, Shaw, James not of any real quality? OK then. Maguire and Stones are of a very good quality, just not best in the world level, but our fullbacks are that level. Rice is up near that level too. I think you are underrating the defence personally. 

18 minutes ago, TWar said:

Trent, Walker, Shaw, James not of any real quality? OK then. Maguire and Stones are of a very good quality, just not best in the world level, but our fullbacks are that level. Rice is up near that level too. I think you are underrating the defence personally. 

Trent, as a defender, especially 1 on 1 defending, is bang average. 

• Like 2