Saints in the England Squad

Paulwantsapint81

With Southgate announcing his latest England squad does anyone expect any Saints call ups

Danny Ings has been in form of his life but will age & previous injuries count against him?

JWP is this his chance to become a regular squad member or will media want someone else ?

Ryan Bertrand can he regain his place? 

Nathan Redmond ?

Jack Stephens has been mentioned before

KWP ?

WP has the best shout I reckon. We're not that strong in centre mid and his workrate, versatility and setpieces bring something different. Plus we know Southgate rates him.

Ings may well make it but will be hard pushed to stay in with the attacking options we have at the mo. Greenwoods emergence will only make it harder for him as well

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

Greenwoods emergence will only make it harder for him as well

Should spend a couple of years in the U21s at least. England's issue is fast tracking too many young players through to the senior team and then wonder why they bottle it at Finals.

9 minutes ago, jamesfp1 said:

Gutted for Bertrand who won't ever play under Southgate. There's not even a left back in the squad.

Was just about to post this. I can only guess that Bertrand's age has counted against him. He must be gutted not to make the squad though, especially given Southgate hasn't picked an orthodox left back.

Edited by trousers

41 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Our two most important players missing almost all of our preseason now and only joining up with the squad 3 days before the season starts. Fantastic. 

One to get injured, the other to have 'his head turned'.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Official: Ings and JWP in England Squad
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic

Good to see JWP and Ings in there, no brainer on either really.

Southgate knows JWP really well, he was his captain for the U21's, so I reckon he has a chance to nail down a place.

Winks/Rice/Phillips - pretty much the same player, just different names. Mount and Foden forward thinking attacking midfielders, but JWP can play that deeper playmaker role without a problem.

Obviously a bit of club bias from me there, but even Spurs fans don't particularly rate Winks.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I never bought that ‘head turned’ argument in 2014. I’m pretty sure you don’t need a month in a shower with Jordan Henderson to convince you to move to Liverpool.

Given the way Lallana reacted at having to leave "Hendo", I'd say a month with him in the shower is exactly what convinced him to go to Liverpool...

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Good to see JWP and Ings in there, no brainer on either really.

Southgate knows JWP really well, he was his captain for the U21's, so I reckon he has a chance to nail down a place.

Winks/Rice/Phillips - pretty much the same player, just different names. Mount and Foden forward thinking attacking midfielders, but JWP can play that deeper playmaker role without a problem.

Obviously a bit of club bias from me there, but even Spurs fans don't particularly rate Winks.

I believe Rice had more tackles than anyone else in the league or something, so there may well be something there in him being a decent defensive mid for England. 

• Lighthouse unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Chances of Ings starting the game tomorrow? I'm assuming that JWP is a cert for the bench but I reckon Ings might be in with a shout of starting. That said, more likely to be on the bench too. Good to be able to look forward to an England game again though. 

From what I saw of Grealish at St Mary's last year, he spends most of his time falling over if a defender goes within about three feet of him. The most fouled player in the prem apparently and I'm not surprised based on what I saw. On the concourse at half time, most of the conversations I overheard were what an annoying w****** he is. What is as bad, is the referees buy it every time. Still, I suppose he can fall over for England now.  Good luck to JWP and Danny though. DO NOT under any circumstances get injured!!!

On 04/09/2020 at 08:56, trousers said:

Chances of Ings starting the game tomorrow? I'm assuming that JWP is a cert for the bench but I reckon Ings might be in with a shout of starting. That said, more likely to be on the bench too. Good to be able to look forward to an England game again though. 

I think I might give the lottery a miss tonight... 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, igsey said:

Bizarre there's no VAR, perfectly good goal ruled out.

Not sure JWP has touched it so far? He could do with a little more assertive, seems to be avoiding the ball so far! But only 7 minutes in.

He's had 3 or 4 good little touches and got into some good positions on the edge of the box but been ignored. 

More annoyingly seems like they aren't giving him set piece duty but, bizarrely, have trippier taking corners. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints in the England Squad