Saints in the England Squad

Paulwantsapint81

16 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Southgate is clueless.

It does seem like the big club syndrome is coming back again.

Sancho, Henderson, Rashford, McGuire and Kane were bloody useless but they will be given plenty of opportunities for sure.

JWP, Grealish and Ings must be pretty shite in training to not even get on the pitch tonight.

• Like 1

Ings and JWP won’t get a look in except for friendlies now, that being said the long ball tactics wouldn’t have suited Ings tonight. Don’t know Grealish didn’t get a look in.

This must be one be of the worst England teams of all time though surely, never known such a shockingly average squad.

It's easy to knock Harry McGuire.......so here goes. £80m? To be honest, you'd be lucky to get £8m for him at present. I honestly prefer Saints centre backs to him. Someone above mentioned call up Jack Stephens. I know Jack has his critics here, but at the moment, he is no worse than McGuire and in some respects possibly better. The talk at Man U was trying to find a partner for McGuire.....at this rate they will be looking for a replacement for him. He looks an utter liability and one of the reasons Man U conceded 6 at home in their last game.  I can't make my mind up about Southgate, a great result on Sunday, but tonight? Easy in hindsight, but as soon as McGuire was booked after 5 minutes (and he was a bit lucky that it wasn't a straight red) I would have been considering replacing him. He looked like an accident waiting to happen.

At half time, me as a mere armchair viewer (tonight) could see this wasn't Harry Kane's game. With Danny Ings on the bench, I would have rolled the dice then. Danny does the closing down and chasing back of 2 men. Just what you need when you are down to 10 men. So either take of Rashford and bring on Danny with Kane or take Kane off for Danny.

Good to see PEH got his normal yellow for a clumsy tackle. Good to see Vesty come on - that won't do his confidence any harm albeit a cameo appearance. 

Finally - we need to nulify Mount at the weekend. He looked like England's best player tonight. 

Very relieved that Prowse and Ings weren’t involved in such embarrassing  management failure.  Any competent manager would select the player available to him who is currently the highest goal scorer in club football. Having selected Ings for the Wales game, Southgate then played him out of position and despite the brilliant bicycle kick goal, ignored him for the competitive game. 
Our club should tell England not to call up our players when they are clearly just being used as makeweights. 

How can English managers time and time again fail to pick their best team and set them up in an attacking formation and then bring on defensive players chasing a game !? Had it been club football they'd be out the door pretty quickly , most fans I know have lost the good will and interest the gained in the England team at the last world cup .

The issue is more playing players out of form...why is Maguire even in the squad after his shocking start to the season, on top of his off season drama.

Denmark are no mugs and believe they have only lost a couple of times in the last 40 games or something, but once down to 10 men with that starting line up it was obviously once a goal down that would more than likely be enough. Also seem to be getting a lot of needless red cards these days, something else SG has to address.

Typical Saints type performance for me.

1 hour ago, rooney said:

England were crying out for some creativity and left Grealish on the bench. What a waste and what a boring game.

There must either be a personality clash or GS feels he's weak in a critical area in this boring style of football - otherwise I don't get it, he's in red hot form and was MotM against Wales!

Probably doing more harm than good for JWP and Ings being part of the squad at the moment. Clearly there are issues behind the scenes in the England set up along with the negative tactics and time away from the Saints training ground I can't find many positives. Obviously it's a great for their confidence etc but will they ever get a proper look in? It's highly doubtful. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

There must either be a personality clash or GS feels he's weak in a critical area in this boring style of football - otherwise I don't get it, he's in red hot form and was MotM against Wales!

Agreed. Leaving Grealish on the bench and putting Calvert Lewin down the left made so sense whatsoever. Grealish should have gone there. Alternatively, rather than Henderson in the middle, Mount could have moved back and Grealish taken his place further forward. Southgate just seems to want to accommodate his favourites rather than playing the best players in their best positions. Appalling manager. 

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Agreed. Leaving Grealish on the bench and putting Calvert Lewin down the left made so sense whatsoever. Grealish should have gone there. Alternatively, rather than Henderson in the middle, Mount could have moved back and Grealish taken his place further forward. Southgate just seems to want to accommodate his favourites rather than playing the best players in their best positions. Appalling manager. 

Playing a defensive formation and then having Mount as one of the forwards really is as depressing as it gets.

Very much hope Ings and JWP don't catch some of the boring disease that afflicts this England team. Southgate is so defensive and so distrusting of anyone who might actually be creative, like Grealish, and especially when his badly picked team goes down to 10 men, courtesy of one of those ludicrously out of form players. Pickford not much better. Real dross, and a very difficult watch. Hope Ings and JWP breathe a sigh of relief to be back in the fold, where actually trying to have a bit of zip is welcomed.

Edited by DT

2 hours ago, egg said:

The formation was a joke. Denmark are a decent side but not know for their prolific attack, he starts at home with a back 5 and two defensive midfielders. Then with us a goal down and 15 minutes ago makes a like for like change with a defensive midfielder, and swapping Rashford & mount for Calvert-Lewin and Sancho. Really poor team selection and subs. 

After beating Belgium..GS desperately underestimated Denmark, and even aside  from his great penalty... Eriksen ran

the game and was my MoM.   GS chose a side far too young and inexperienced , and whilst my commentator raved about 

Mason Mount, but failed to admit that whilst getting into some great positions, failed to make a single pass of any meaning.

Several  " overgrown schoolboys " who look good in a top-end Prem. sides, but haven't come to terms with international football. 

Reece James took it on himself to argue with the ref - after the final whistle - and got himself red card, too. 

The start line-up was far too young and lacked experience, and GS must learn that just having Rashford and Kane up front without

any real support brings no guarantee of a win, and that he needs to have a balanced side at the back. 

Maguire showed up for what he is - a clumsy, overweight bully.  I could see the second yellow coming as son as he got the first

and both he and Kyle Walker have got to get their act together PDQ, or they'll be out.

Southgate has to deal with the "teenage antics" of players who ignore Covid restrictions to go to parties, or entertain girls after lights out

and "give them time to grow up"  before venturing to include them in squads again.

In retrospect ...Prowsie and Ings  can be very thankful that they weren't involved in the whole debacle.

After beating Belgium..GS desperately underestimated Denmark, and even aside  from his great penalty... Eriksen ran

the game and was my MoM.   GS chose a side far too young and inexperienced , and whilst my commentator raved about 

Mason Mount, but failed to admit that whilst getting into some great positions, failed to make a single pass of any meaning.

Several  " overgrown schoolboys " who look good in a top-end Prem. sides, but haven't come to terms with international football. 

Reece James took it on himself to argue with the ref - after the final whistle - and got himself red card, too. 

The start line-up was far too young and lacked experience, and GS must learn that just having Rashford and Kane up front without

any real support brings no guarantee of a win, and that he needs to have a balanced side at the back. 

Maguire showed up for what he is - a clumsy, overweight bully.  I could see the second yellow coming as son as he got the first

and both he and Kyle Walker have got to get their act together PDQ, or they'll be out.

Southgate has to deal with the "teenage antics" of players who ignore Covid restrictions to go to parties, or entertain girls after lights out

and "give them time to grow up"  before venturing to include them in squads again.

In retrospect ...Prowsie and Ings  can be very thankful that they weren't involved in the whole debacle.

17 hours ago, Hayling Saint said:

Agree, with the above and what does Declan Rice give you, that JWP can't?

Nothing .Grealish should be above both those players and still ..............Southgates too fucking soft ,yet again all this squads talent and for what?

Club .......or ...Country? which do you prefer?.

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Great, another manager with no proven record of winning anything 😄

Will probably end up appointing Gerrard or something.

Gerrard & Lampard 'Dream Team'. Everyone will talk about whether there's room for both to manage at the same time, or whether one should be manager and the other assistant...

4 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The elephant in the room is Southgate. Compare him with Hasenhuttl for example....

Time for a change? Not Ralph of course!

He's a shocker. You'd like to be able to look at the u21's for an alternative bit Boothroyd is even worse. How either of them got the top 2 jobs is anyone's guess. We're going nowhere with those 2 in charge of the 1st team and under 21's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, egg said:

He's a shocker. You'd like to be able to look at the u21's for an alternative bit Boothroyd is even worse. How either of them got the top 2 jobs is anyone's guess. We're going nowhere with those 2 in charge of the 1st team and under 21's.

Any manger worth his salt wouldn’t want the England job. Which is why we get a mid table championship manager leading the country. Personally can’t think of 1 premier league club that would swap their manager for Southgate other than many be Man United.

• 5 months later...
23 hours ago, igsey said:

Good to see Prowsey rocking a Saints store bag on duty, he's already started tapping up Kane as Ingy's replacement

8yh4o5dkmxo61.jpg

Wearing a mask makes Kane's voice go all nasally. Oh.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints in the England Squad
  • 11 months later...

A question I asked on tonight's match thread... What more do Tino and KWP need to do to get into the next England squad? (I'm assuming JWP is a shoe-in)

I accept there's fierce competition for the full-back berths but, on current form, surely they're in contention?

Edited by trousers

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

A question I asked on tonight's match thread... What more do Tino and KWP need to do to get into the next England squad? (I'm assuming JWP is a shoe-in)

I accept there's fierce competition for the full-back berths but, on current form, surely they're in contention?

I can see KwP getting in the next squad (not Livramento). 

However despite Chilwell being out, I am sure I heard at the weekend on a commentary, that James is back in training. Tripper (when fit) will get in also. 

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

Hunt down and kill Trent Alexander Arnold, Kyle Walker, Luke Shaw, Kieran Trippier, Ben Chilwell, Reece James and probably Arron Wan Bisakka. And don't get caught.

I think KWP has to be knocking on the door now. England are blessed with Full Back options though so it's a difficult spot. James, TAA, Chilwell, Shaw etc are probably still ahead of him. (I'd like to think he's jumped ahead of Wan Biasaka though)

The bonus KWP has added this season is his ability to play at LB as well, so that's given him more of a leg into any squad.

JWP should be a shoe-in for a CM role though.

24 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The bonus KWP has added this season is his ability to play at LB as well, so that's given him more of a leg into any squad.

Exactly. I think Southgate is a manager that appreciates such versatility more than most so should stand him in good stead. 

5 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

The World Cup is in November and December, not the summer. Trippier has plenty of time to recover before the World Cup.

Ah true. I still think Trippier is in with less of a chance now he's dropped down to Newcastle. Even less so if they go down.

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Ah true. I still think Trippier is in with less of a chance now he's dropped down to Newcastle. Even less so if they go down.

Nah, Trippier is one of Southgates go-to guys, one of the leaders in the squad. If he's fit he'll go without doubt.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Nah, Trippier is one of Southgates go-to guys, one of the leaders in the squad. If he's fit he'll go without doubt.

absolutely, and has played very well for England over a decent period of time.  Trippier has looked class with the couple of appearances at Newcastle.

A random/bizarre thought just popped into my head.... Could anyone see Ralph being considered for next England manager...? I actually think he would tick quite a few FA boxes...

P.s. if this post doesn't trigger Lord D's pony alarm, I don't know what will.... ;)

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

A random/bizarre thought just popped into my head.... Could anyone see Ralph being considered for next England manager...? I actually think he would tick quite a few FA boxes...

I doubt it, England will carry on from within I reckon. I don't think they'll go Foreign.

24 minutes ago, trousers said:

P.s. if this post doesn't trigger Lord D's pony alarm, I don't know what will.... ;)

If anything I think Pep should be England manager.

He paid £100m for Grealish, was linked and thinks highly of Kane…

If he becomes our manager he can have Walker, Sterling, Kane, Grealish and a whole host of talent ;) 

On a more real one though I think we’ve gone away from the Sven/Capello experiment. I would guess Graham Potter to be our next England manager.

4 hours ago, nta786 said:

If anything I think Pep should be England manager.

He paid £100m for Grealish, was linked and thinks highly of Kane…

If he becomes our manager he can have Walker, Sterling, Kane, Grealish and a whole host of talent ;) 

On a more real one though I think we’ve gone away from the Sven/Capello experiment. I would guess Graham Potter to be our next England manager.

Pep certainly has nowhere else to go except international management.

If it was a World Cup just for full-backs, we'd win it.

TTA, James, Trippier, Walker, Shaw, Wan Bissaka, KWP, Livramento, Chilwell, Cresswell, Lamptey to name 11 off the top of my head - there's bound to be others.  All very good attacking options and just shows how important "attacking" full-backs are in the current game. Of course, they'd have to be managed by Stuart "Psycho" Pearce.