Sport Republic

Dusic

Hello friends of Southampton!

As you can see, Ahmed Kantari has been confirmed as head coach of our team until the end of the season. Opinions among us are rather mixed but Ahmed knows the club well as he was one of our former players, coach of our reserve team and coach of our first team at the end of last season.

Staying in the 2nd division looks very difficult, we hope that our players will feel fully involved to get out of it, we have been promised that they will fight for our club, but the only truth is on the pitch.

This weekend we played in the 1/32nd final of the French Cup, and won 2-0 against Sarreguemines, who play in the 5th division below us.

Saturday's derby against Amiens SC is at home, and we hope they win the game.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Just a thought: if Christophe is serious about continuing to post on here, how about giving him his own Valenciennes thread? Then he would not potentially get lost in the middle of a lengthy SR thread.

Mods?

Seems like a good idea; enjoy reading his posts 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Just a thought: if Christophe is serious about continuing to post on here, how about giving him his own Valenciennes thread? Then he would not potentially get lost in the middle of a lengthy SR thread.

Mods?

Je pense que c'est une bonne idée

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Mods?

It would be a pleasure to give you news about my club. Thank you all very much!

• Like 8

On 09/12/2023 at 15:55, Fabrice29 said:

Joachim Kayi Sanda a name worth keeping an eye on. French Under 17 captain and appeared for Valenciennes already this season. Could be the first to be funnelled up to us at some stage.

Heard the same. Apparently he was France's best player at the recent U17 World Cup in Indonesia.  France were tournament runners up whils an England side that featured Jayden Meghoma, Tyler Dibbling and Sam Amo-Ameyaw got knocked out by a park-the-bus Uzbekistan side.  Composed, commanding centre-back who looked very impressive and seems destined for greater things.

• Like 2

I missed the second anniversary of Sport Republic's purchase of our Club, but a few days past that occasion, is it now time to re-evaluate their performance, contribution and impact?

Nine months ago the standing of SR reached an all time low. Relegation, a season with three managers, a squad in disarray, players underperforming and potential financial implosion beckoning. Now, a little more than halfway into the following season and we are riding high in our division; have a squad firing on all cylinders; a manager who has won over a disbelieving fanbase; a director of football who quietly, anonymously, has ploughed a very successful course, and an unbeaten run beating anything achieved for over a century.

So, is this great planning, good luck, or a combination of both? Have the cards fallen fortuitously, or has there been clever sleight of hand behind the scenes?

If we go back two years, we had a manger who was running out of ideas, and a squad that was a patchwork of poor deals, cheap solutions and uninterested personnel. With hindsight, SR failed to react quickly enough, allowing the situation to drag on, in terms of the manager, for nearly a whole year. Yes, we liked Ralph, certainly initially, and enjoyed his enthusiasm, but the directors should have seen that the players were divided, and that he had largely lost the dressing room. 

Things weren't much better in the board room, and the laissez faire policy towards allowing the Southampton board to continue to run the club was also showing signs of cracks. Again, reaction was too slow.

In terms of the transfer market, new players had been brought in, and certainly money was spent, but with a manger in decline and senior players increasingly apathetic, with a captain not strong enough to pull it all together, the impact of the purchases was less than had been hoped, and many failed to fulfill potential. Then came last January. Panic. A disastrous choice of new manager, and last minute acquisitions who failed to fit in or provide the expected lift. The inevitable happened.

Then came the clear-out. Board, manager, players. Not all was entirely planned, or wanted, but some was financially necessary and the rest strategically so.

In came Wilcox, shortly followed by Russell Martin, who was greeted with an air of disappointment, incredulity or surprise. Parallel with this there were changes and appointments to a number of senior positions within the club, and, it has to be said, a steady stream of departures.

An indifferent first month, a disastrous second, then it all started to pull together. Several key players went, including JWP and Tella as the transfer window started to close. My suspicion, based on no inside knowledge whatsoever, is that the club were quite happy to see James leave. great guy, terrific front man for the media, and incomparable for free kicks, but what else? As a captain, he seemed too weak. As a defensive midfielder, too ineffectual, particularly without Romeu alongside. Nathan Jones played him further forward, where he seemed more at home, but others were potentially seen as more natural in that role, so under Seles he became more defensive again.

Now, we seem to have an effective manager, a united squad, positive support from the stands, and an ever upwards progression. Have Sport Republic played a blinder, found the DoF we needed and a manager who can get unity and success, and did all those moves in September actually form part of a master plan to get rid of the bad eggs and the expensive but ineffective soufflés?

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that it was probably 80% planning, 10% circumstance and 10% luck. However, the result has to be that SR have partially, maybe largely, restored their reputation, but more importantly, our club, together, has turned it round.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Pwoite said:

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that it was probably 80% planning, 10% circumstance and 10% luck. However, the result has to be that SR have partially, maybe largely, restored their reputation, but more importantly, our club, together, has turned it round.

They won't if we don't go up this season.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2024 at 00:48, Pwoite said:

I missed the second anniversary of Sport Republic's purchase of our Club, but a few days past that occasion, is it now time to re-evaluate their performance, contribution and impact?

Nine months ago the standing of SR reached an all time low. Relegation, a season with three managers, a squad in disarray, players underperforming and potential financial implosion beckoning. Now, a little more than halfway into the following season and we are riding high in our division; have a squad firing on all cylinders; a manager who has won over a disbelieving fanbase; a director of football who quietly, anonymously, has ploughed a very successful course, and an unbeaten run beating anything achieved for over a century.

So, is this great planning, good luck, or a combination of both? Have the cards fallen fortuitously, or has there been clever sleight of hand behind the scenes?

If we go back two years, we had a manger who was running out of ideas, and a squad that was a patchwork of poor deals, cheap solutions and uninterested personnel. With hindsight, SR failed to react quickly enough, allowing the situation to drag on, in terms of the manager, for nearly a whole year. Yes, we liked Ralph, certainly initially, and enjoyed his enthusiasm, but the directors should have seen that the players were divided, and that he had largely lost the dressing room. 

Things weren't much better in the board room, and the laissez faire policy towards allowing the Southampton board to continue to run the club was also showing signs of cracks. Again, reaction was too slow.

In terms of the transfer market, new players had been brought in, and certainly money was spent, but with a manger in decline and senior players increasingly apathetic, with a captain not strong enough to pull it all together, the impact of the purchases was less than had been hoped, and many failed to fulfill potential. Then came last January. Panic. A disastrous choice of new manager, and last minute acquisitions who failed to fit in or provide the expected lift. The inevitable happened.

Then came the clear-out. Board, manager, players. Not all was entirely planned, or wanted, but some was financially necessary and the rest strategically so.

In came Wilcox, shortly followed by Russell Martin, who was greeted with an air of disappointment, incredulity or surprise. Parallel with this there were changes and appointments to a number of senior positions within the club, and, it has to be said, a steady stream of departures.

An indifferent first month, a disastrous second, then it all started to pull together. Several key players went, including JWP and Tella as the transfer window started to close. My suspicion, based on no inside knowledge whatsoever, is that the club were quite happy to see James leave. great guy, terrific front man for the media, and incomparable for free kicks, but what else? As a captain, he seemed too weak. As a defensive midfielder, too ineffectual, particularly without Romeu alongside. Nathan Jones played him further forward, where he seemed more at home, but others were potentially seen as more natural in that role, so under Seles he became more defensive again.

Now, we seem to have an effective manager, a united squad, positive support from the stands, and an ever upwards progression. Have Sport Republic played a blinder, found the DoF we needed and a manager who can get unity and success, and did all those moves in September actually form part of a master plan to get rid of the bad eggs and the expensive but ineffective soufflés?

I'd like to wish my club Valenciennes FC the same trajectory, a complicated start but a great comeback, you've had the rain and now you have the sun.

I've had a lot of admiration for what you've achieved over the last 2 years and I sincerely wish you all the best!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

I'd like to wish my club Valenciennes FC the same trajectory, a complicated start but a great comeback, you've had the rain and now you have the sun.

I've had a lot of admiration for what you've achieved over the last 2 years and I sincerely wish you all the best!

They dont buy clubs to fail, look at how well both us and Gozteppe are now doing after a dodgy start (more so in our case).

I would expect Valenciennes short term aim given how bad this season has gone is stay up and reset and improve next, would expect some new players etc.

Will be interesting to follow for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

They dont buy clubs to fail, look at how well both us and Gozteppe are now doing after a dodgy start (more so in our case).

I would expect Valenciennes short term aim given how bad this season has gone is stay up and reset and improve next, would expect some new players etc.

Will be interesting to follow for sure.

I have a lot of faith in Sport Republic and the fact that they bought us to take us far, although at the moment that's not the case, and it's even the opposite, with a possible descent into the 3rd division, but I think our club will undergo a lot of changes in the near future.

Like you, I think that in the summer of 2024, Sport Republic will begin a profound change in our club, with a reorganisation of the workforce (players and employees), and also I think a new way of working and better management, a bit like you I think.

I can't hide the fact that I'm still worried, but I'm confident about the future, and when I see the work our owner has done for you, I hope we'll soon be seeing some great football here at Valenciennes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

I have a lot of faith in Sport Republic and the fact that they bought us to take us far, although at the moment that's not the case, and it's even the opposite, with a possible descent into the 3rd division, but I think our club will undergo a lot of changes in the near future.

Like you, I think that in the summer of 2024, Sport Republic will begin a profound change in our club, with a reorganisation of the workforce (players and employees), and also I think a new way of working and better management, a bit like you I think.

I can't hide the fact that I'm still worried, but I'm confident about the future, and when I see the work our owner has done for you, I hope we'll soon be seeing some great football here at Valenciennes.

Let's hope for the best for both of us!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

Technically, the only thing we've actually achieved in the last 2 years is a relegation....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Technically, the only thing we've actually achieved in the last 2 years is a relegation....

I understand and I totally agree with you, a descent is never pleasant, especially as the Premier League is one of the best leagues in Europe in my opinion.

This year, you've put in some great performances and you've rediscovered the passion and joy of the Saint Mary's Stadium, and I wish you all the best for a comeback at the end of the season.

You've had a few bad moments, but now things are much better and I hope it will be the same for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

I understand and I totally agree with you, a descent is never pleasant, especially as the Premier League is one of the best leagues in Europe in my opinion.

This year, you've put in some great performances and you've rediscovered the passion and joy of the Saint Mary's Stadium, and I wish you all the best for a comeback at the end of the season.

You've had a few bad moments, but now things are much better and I hope it will be the same for us.

Is the PL the best in Europe or just the most hyped - due to Sky going all in and therefore needing it to be so?

It's no coincidence that a lot of the joy has come back for the fans now we aren't in the PL, just like last time, but unfortunately we need the PL - or more precisely the PL's cash - to be able to be succesful in the lower leagues!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Congrats VAFC on the win today in the cup, building confidence hopefully

@ChristopheVAFC do the managers rest key players in the cup like in England? was the Paris team similar to the one that narrowly beat Valenciennes 1-0 last year in the league?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Congrats VAFC on the win today in the cup, building confidence hopefully

Thank you very much for your message.

A win that will do the players a world of good and reassure everyone.

First home win of the 2023/2024 season. It's good to see us through to the 1/8th final of the Coupe de France.

Next up in the league is a trip to Girondins de Bordeaux on Tuesday evening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

@ChristopheVAFC do the managers rest key players in the cup like in England? was the Paris team similar to the one that narrowly beat Valenciennes 1-0 last year in the league?

Tonight, our coach preferred to field a team that is well placed in the league, with a number of changes if you look at the league match played in December 2023.

December 2023: Louchet (GK), Basse, Moore, Poha, Blancquart, Masson, Banse, Boutoutaou, Hamache, Lilepo, Haouari

Tonight: Diabaté (GK), Linguet, Poha, Cuffaut, Basse, Knockaert, Foe Ondoa, Masson, Boutoutaou, Oyewuzi, Jung.

4 players out of 11 were present at kick-off for the 2 matches.

Then here in France, it depends on the coaches, but it's not systematic either.

• Like 1

I do like the insight into different leagues that being part of a larger group brings. Have started looking out for Valenciennes and Goztepe's results. 

All the best Christophe. Look forward to more of your insight.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Colinjb said:

I do like the insight into different leagues that being part of a larger group brings. Have started looking out for Valenciennes and Goztepe's results. 

All the best Christophe. Look forward to more of your insight.

It's a pleasure for me to give you all the information about my club, and I also watch your results a lot. I'm very happy for you, it must be great to be playing at the top of the table!

Normally, before the end of the season, I'll be coming to Saint Mary's Stadium to see one of your matches, I can't wait!

• Like 9

On 15/01/2024 at 23:48, Pwoite said:

The reality is that they came in, shredded all stability in the first team squad and coaching staff, and basically unsettled the entirety of the background and academy setup. We were a prem team, now we're only starting to recover - we're 3rd in the 2nd tier with easily the 2nd best squad and with no surety of promotion and a dubious financial position....

We've been forced to sell or offload so many gems from the team - players that would still be here otherwise (JWP, Lavia, Tino, ABK, Tella etc etc.) - and we may be forced to lose even more before we make it back (KWP, Sulemana, Alcaraz etc). So as far as i am concerned, until we're back to being an established premier league club, their balance is firmly in the negative. We've also lost (and sadly will likely continue to lose if we don't get promoted) academy players under their tenure, and the financial health of the club, investment in facilities/staff, and our future recruitment are all suffering as a result of our reduced stature!

Even if they get us promoted this year, that relegation has set the club back 3-5years minimum on what could have been achieved in the premier league if they hadn't shat the bed over managers and player recruitment.

What i will give them credit for, is at least making a decent fist of the championship (i could easily have seen them continuing their absolute car crash of decision making into this league 🤮... so thank god that hasn't happened). But they do seem to have learnt from their lessons, and made solid appointments in people like Wilcox and Martin... The club has at least turned things around, once again has a defined style, and has a togetherness and momentum within the squad and fans - all good and welcome things. But , it does beg the question, if this is the style that they wanted all along, then wtf was that absolute spasm of shit decision making they put us through last year!! 😶

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

I'd like to hear a definitive statement from SR about what the height of their ambition is from the club. Do they aim to just keep us in the Prem, raking in that big money each season, or do they actually want to get us back into challenging for Europe again? 

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd like to hear a definitive statement from SR about what the height of their ambition is from the club. Do they aim to just keep us in the Prem, raking in that big money each season, or do they actually want to get us back into challenging for Europe again? 

So far it seems to be getting us relegated and selling off club academy stars and valuable players for as much as they can... And that's enough to "restore their reputation" 🤣😅. What reputation that is exactly i don't know, they've demonstrated no serious footballing acumen to date, all we can really say is that they're managing to float at the top end of the championship with the 2nd best budget and squad in the league 🤣.

Okay, joking aside, i think they'd look a bit ridiculous talking about European football given their track record so far, plus some of the diehard SR lovers would be unbearable chatting about an exciting European project on the horizon before we've even been promoted. I'm far more content for them to first focus on at least rectifying last years horrendous fuck ups and decision making that got us relegated. Get us back to the prem and then we can start talking about long term potential for the club.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

On 02/02/2024 at 12:33, Ted Bates Statue said:

Jeremy Wilson - Telegraph interview with Phil Parsons. 

Main bit is about how they coped with the string of defeats back in September, but there is also a paragraph about pressing ahead with plans to make the Northam the home end.

https://archive.is/dE9dd

yeah sod the season ticket holders for some dumb idea that wont achieve its aim. 

Parsons seems to spend too long speaking to the same people and doesnt have  broad approach.