Taking The Knee at Games

M271

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It wasn’t that long ago that you were telling us all that racism in football wasn’t such a big thing anymore. Got that wrong didn’t you!

As for losing, I think most right minded people think that any kind of bigotry is wrong so you keep on kidding yourself that the fight against racism is misguided.

No its still exactly as I described it. Racism at the football is no worse than in other walks of life that have a random cross section of the public at. Its incredibly rare to hear racist chanting or abuse at the football and anything that is heard is dealt with harshly in the vast majority of occasions. The false sense of security that anonymity provides on social media means that many many people get all sorts of vile abuse online, particularly high profile people and sadly particularly black people. Absolutely none of that suggests that football in particular has a problem with racism. Nothing has changed in that regard despite the moral panic in the media. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

Things are undoubtedly better than they were even 20 years ago, so the approach of not ignoring it does seem to be working. Just because we aren't at the end yet doesn't mean we aren't moving in the right direction.

Are we? What's your evidence for your claim it's undoubtedly better?

14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It wasn’t that long ago that you were telling us all that racism in football wasn’t such a big thing anymore. Got that wrong didn’t you!

As for losing, I think most right minded people think that any kind of bigotry is wrong so you keep on kidding yourself that the fight against racism is misguided.

Using your rationale it isn't a big thing. The vast majority of people at football dont get arrested for racism so therefore football is overwhelmingly not racist. 

4 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

The answer to your questions is Yes they are , the law is the same just applied differently (stop and search for example) Yes they are in general paid less compared with their colleagues at the same level , yes the footballers suffer more abuse and yes the education system does discriminate at all stages.

Pony. 

I am struggling to understand why any decent human being would have a problem with anyone else supporting the move against racism. I can only imagine that people who spend lots of their time and energy kicking off against those protesting against racism probably harbour racist tendencies themselves.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

"Colour blindness is a really bad way to deal with racial discrimination" :lol:

Isn't the whole point that people shouldn't be treated differently because of their colour? Remind us what BLM have achieved so far.

They've toppled some statues, pressurised universities into renaming some buildings and got some policeman to take a knee. 

✊🏻✊🏿 No Justice No Peace. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I am struggling to understand why any decent human being would have a problem with anyone else supporting the move against racism. I can only imagine that people who spend lots of their time and energy kicking off against those protesting against racism probably harbour racist tendencies themselves.

Who is kicking off? We're having a discussion on a football forum. The only one getting all upset are you and a couple of others because people have a different view to the subject matter. But then that's what we've come to expect from you isn't it. 

16 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Of course it is, football and society as a whole has moved on a lot in the last few decades.

Great so it's come a long way in the last few decades, long before BLM and taking the knee because fashionable, guess we didn't need it then.

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Great so it's come a long way in the last few decades, long before BLM and taking the knee because fashionable, guess we didn't need it then.

Always room for improvement, if The Saints lads want to keep taking the knee before games good on them. I’m certainly not in a position to tell Redmond and Walcott that they should not try and make a difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SKD said:

At this point I don’t know if this is a trick question 😂

I try and avoid the news and social media as much as physically possible. On the face of that BLM page, I’d say of course they shouldn’t have shot her... 

To be honest, American policing is about as fucked up as you can get anyway to be honest. All of them on a power trip, far to quick to use violence. 

I’m sure there are some racists within American police forces as no doubt there are here to, but I don’t think in the main they’re racist, I just think they’re idiots. 

Assuming more to the story...

Basically the Police were called to a disturbance and within about six seconds of arrival this scene was captured on body cam. The two photos are in reverse order, separated by about one second and the policeman fired the fatal shots at the woman in black at the time the left hand photo was taken.

BLM have declared this the senseless Police murder of a joyful child, who loved making TikTok videos about doing her hair. I was just curious what the general consensus was on the issue.

29AC509F-CFB5-4B37-886B-6BE3770C052A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

I get why you would struggle to understand how someone disagreeing with you could be anything other than a bigot or a racist, you've been a woke idealogue for years. 

41 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Basically the Police were called to a disturbance and within about six seconds of arrival this scene was captured on body cam. The two photos are in reverse order, separated by about one second and the policeman fired the fatal shots at the woman in black at the time the left hand photo was taken.

BLM have declared this the senseless Police murder of a joyful child, who loved making TikTok videos about doing her hair. I was just curious what the general consensus was on the issue.

29AC509F-CFB5-4B37-886B-6BE3770C052A.jpeg

Ahh I remember seeing this actually. In which case, I remove my previous comments and respond with good, she deserved it

Although I do still mean what I said about Yanks with guns and their police being overly aggressive. although in this occasion it appears justified 👍🏻

Edited by SKD

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

https://blacklivesmatter.com/makhia-bryant/

Thoughts on this incident?

In this country the policeman might have been expected to use a taser, but on this occasion she had a steak knife and it wasn't for dinner or self-defence. I can understand reservations towards the official BLM line on this occasion and it undermines their cause severely to pay tribute to this individual.

Bodycam footage for context. https://www.newsy.com/stories/video-shows-moments-before-police-shot-ma-khia-bryant/

Notwithstanding the above, I just can't believe this is the cause that people have figuratively chosen as their hill to die on. I'm sure many didn't approve of clapping for the NHS either but I never heard of anyone deciding to boo at 8pm on those Thursday evenings.

I don't perceive there to be support of racist beliefs in this thread so much as the increasing distaste between the views of left and right. It's probably fair to say most people sit somewhere in the middle politically, but the media has a tendency to showcase the worst sides of the political spectrum as it seeks to draw out an emotional response in the reader, and balance takes a back seat as we instead focus on the antics of loony left or fascist far right. This clouds our view of the opposing side and the debate quickly falls off a cliff. Lockdown really hasn't helped.

1 minute ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

In this country the policeman might have been expected to use a taser, but on this occasion she had a steak knife and it wasn't for dinner or self-defence. I can understand reservations towards the official BLM line on this occasion and it undermines their cause severely to pay tribute to this individual.

Bodycam footage for context. https://www.newsy.com/stories/video-shows-moments-before-police-shot-ma-khia-bryant/

Notwithstanding the above, I just can't believe this is the cause that people have figuratively chosen as their hill to die on. I'm sure many didn't approve of clapping for the NHS either but I never heard of anyone deciding to boo at 8pm on those Thursday evenings.

I don't perceive there to be support of racist beliefs in this thread so much as the increasing distaste between the views of left and right. It's probably fair to say most people sit somewhere in the middle politically, but the media has a tendency to showcase the worst sides of the political spectrum as it seeks to draw out an emotional response in the reader, and balance takes a back seat as we instead focus on the antics of loony left or fascist far right. This clouds our view of the opposing side and the debate quickly falls off a cliff. Lockdown really hasn't helped.

The trouble with this is that the only way a fan can show their displeasure with the act is to boo. If a player disagrees, they can opt to remain standing. Given that the fans don’t take a knee with the players (as much as I expect some on this thread would like to), how else do you show you disagree? 

Of all the high profile cases we've seen plastered all over the BBC news over the last 12 months, that has led to BLM marches, well they all have one thing in common. The police were responding to either criminal activity or serving a warrant. Further more, all resisted arrest or worse, tried to escape by any means possible. Hell, one shot through a door hitting a police officer and then used his girlfriend as a human shield. And these are the people held up as hero's, some get three funerals and angel wings painted on tributes! People have marched in their honour, looting, burning & killing (28 recorded deaths attached so far). And we are all supposed to just go along with this movement? No thank you. BLM feels like a liberal movement to me. No doubt some very rich white guy is making a lot of money from it. But as a movement, I prefer Greenpeace interrupting my travel plans if I'm honest. Get it away from sport now! 

12 hours ago, SKD said:

It really is Amazing that some people can’t see the fact people don’t have issues with anti racism campaigns (how many boo’d kick it out?), But people take issue with campaigns linked to violent, political groups, like BLM.

Replace the knee and BLM with something else and people won’t have an issue, as they never did before. 

Because people believe bullshit memes that get spread on Facebook. 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

The trouble with this is that the only way a fan can show their displeasure with the act is to boo. If a player disagrees, they can opt to remain standing. Given that the fans don’t take a knee with the players (as much as I expect some on this thread would like to), how else do you show you disagree? 

If you read the players statement they make it clear they are not supporting any political group - you are inventing stuff to get angry about.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Absolutely no pressure on footballers to take the knee. None at all. 

04F605F8-03BC-43F9-9FE8-9B0D0B411BF2.jpeg

Is that photo taken outside a football teams training ground then?

Personally I think if you don't like the 5 second gesture then it's best to just ignore it. They'll stop soon anyway, it's not as if it will be carrying on forever.

• Like 2

Just now, aintforever said:

If you read the players statement they make it clear they are not supporting any political group - you are inventing stuff to get angry about.

Nope, that just doesn’t wash with me I’m afraid.

BLM is BLM. BLM were the signs held aloft whilst looting and rioting. BLM signs were held aloft whilst shouting to defund the police. 

If your intentions have nothing to do with the political group called BLM distance your name from BLM. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, The Cat said:

Is that photo taken outside a football teams training ground then?

Personally I think if you don't like the 5 second gesture then it's best to just ignore it. They'll stop soon anyway, it's not as if it will be carrying on forever.

Silence is violence as per the banner.. stay silent and allow promotion of this vicious, violent organisation and violence will continue. 

You’d hope they’d stop soon, that being said, it’s been ongoing for a season and half now...

The fact that they’ll just stop doing it before people’s perceived view of racism has ended (the fans being back and fear of the reaction would Be the real reason), that just goes to show how much of a token gesture it was. 

11 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Agreed here’s a statement from a club who didn’t want to be seen to be supporting a political group 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/neil-warnock-explains-why-middlesbroughs-players-wont-be-taking-knee-ahead-saturdays-game-against-millwall-3064968%3famp

14 minutes ago, SKD said:

Nope, that just doesn’t wash with me I’m afraid.

BLM is BLM. BLM were the signs held aloft whilst looting and rioting. BLM signs were held aloft whilst shouting to defund the police. 

If your intentions have nothing to do with the political group called BLM distance your name from BLM. 

Anyone with half a brain can see that it is just a generic anti-racism gesture, clearly you don’t qualify for that.

Keep on pissing your pants over the terrible Marxist footballers who want to defund the plod if you want but you are just making stuff up to get angry about. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What does that black celebrity Britt Assombalonga know. I’d much rather listen to (assumption) middle class white man TWar and his cronies.  

1 minute ago, SKD said:

What does that black celebrity Britt Assombalonga know. I’d much rather listen to (assumption) middle class white man TWar and his cronies.  

Like Morgan Freeman, Britt Assombalonga is clearly part of the problem.

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Anyone with half a brain can see that it is just a generic anti-racism gesture, clearly you don’t qualify for that.

Keep on pissing your pants over the terrible Marxist footballers who want to defund the plod if you want but you are just making stuff up to get angry about. 

Cool. So is a kick it out t-shirt which has 0 links to violence. 

I’m not pissing my pants, I don’t care. For as long as they do it, I’ll boo. It’s your mob of snowflakes who are so rattled it became a thread. 

And FWIW, I’d happily wager my Mortage that a large amount footballers don’t agree with it, but feel pressured to do it. 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, SKD said:

I’m not pissing my pants, I don’t care. For as long as they do it, I’ll boo. It’s your mob of snowflakes who are so rattled it became a thread. 

And FWIW, I’d happily wager my Mortage that a large amount footballers don’t agree with it, but feel pressured to do it. 

So you will boo your own players for making a political gesture even though they have already made it crystal clear their gesture is not political in any way. Brilliant :lol:

Maybe during the close season you can think up other imaginary stuff to get angry about?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aintforever said:

So you will boo your own players for making a political gesture even though they have already made it crystal clear their gesture is not political in any way. Brilliant :lol:

Maybe during the close season you can think up other imaginary stuff to get angry about?

As I’ve said, I’m not buying that and neither are other professional players. See Turkish link. 

They may not be doing it for a political nature, but the knee and BLM has links to violence. you don’t think so, I do. Let’s leave it at that. 

But In the ‘close season’ I’ll be a NAZI movement and we’ll be saluting before every game. It’s not political, it’s to show our support and take a moment to reflect to all the non - binary’s out there facing injustices in their daily life. No justice No peace. 

10 hours ago, SKD said:

It's just baffling that those who get genuinely upset about someone taking the knee then call others "snowflakes".  When did people stop caring about not looking dim?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SKD said:

As I’ve said, I’m not buying that and neither are other professional players. See Turkish link. 

They may not be doing it for a political nature, but the knee and BLM has links to violence. you don’t think so, I do. Let’s leave it at that. 

But In the ‘close season’ I’ll be a NAZI movement and we’ll be saluting before every game. It’s not political, it’s to show our support and take a moment to reflect to all the non - binary’s out there facing injustices in their daily life. No justice No peace. 

Please do, you will be far more comfortable showing your true self then lying that you like people of color. Your true personality came out over the pages, you've chosen your camp, Nazi, salute yourself  click your heels.

I will match your trailer park home mortgage bet with matching funds,  a fiver should do, and bet most are doing it willingly.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Turkish said:

Who is kicking off? We're having a discussion on a football forum. The only one getting all upset are you and a couple of others because people have a different view to the subject matter. But then that's what we've come to expect from you isn't it. 

Booing when others are making a point they don’t like isn’t kicking off? Complaining constantly about it isn’t kicking off? What would you call it? Oh, I forgot, you just come on forums on the wind up. 

• Like 1