Next seven games

Sheaf Saint

So we've emerged from the tricky first 5 fixtures with more points than many expected, and after our disappointing capitulation against Everton on the first day we're starting to look like a team that is actually hard to beat.

Our next seven look much more winnable than the first five did before the season started, with the exception of a trip to Chelsea. Although, given we just went to the Etihad and Made City look ordinary, I wouldn't put it past us to get something at Stamford Bridge as well.

Wolves (H)

Chelsea (A)

Leeds (H)

Burnley (H)

Watford (A)

Villa (H)

Norwich (A)

3 wins and 2 draws from that lot - which I think is more than achievable given our current performance levels - would put us onto 18 points after 12 games.

After that we've got consecutive home games against Liverpool and Leicester, then another four games where we would hope/expect to get points from - Brighton and Brentford at home and Arsenal and Palace away. 2 wins and 2 draws from all them (again - achievable) would put us on 26 points as we reach the half way point of the season.

I'm actually feeling pretty positive right now. 

One game at a time. We’re capable of beating anyone in the league on our day (which we’ve proven several times now) but also capable of losing to anyone in embarrassingly bad fashion. 

Let’s get through the cup game in midweek and then go from there because, let’s be honest, we’ve our best strength in depth for years now to actually make a decent run a cup competition so shouldn’t dismiss that. 

Let's start with a win against Wolves and see how we get on. Both us and Wolves are struggling for goals in the league, so you could say another 0-0 isn't impossible, but if Ralph structures us right then I think we can win that. Stephens will be a loss if he's out but with Bednarek, Salisu and Lyanco we have strength in depth there this season. 

Then there's Chelsea who we will probably lose to, but having said that we did get very good points from both Manchester clubs so it's not beyond the realms of possibility to do the same - I just think Chelsea will be a different animal this season with Lukaku up top and will probably win the league, unless Liverpool stay clear of injuries, City can stop the blanks due to a lack of attacker and United's new players click quickly.

Then follows 5 eminently winnable fixtures if we play well and stay hard to beat. I'm not predicting those directly but a ratio of 2 points from 3 isn't impossible.

So 11-13 points from those 7 should put us in decent shape for the Christmas period. I'll say 11 with slight pessimism.

Looking at the bottom of the league, you can already see the teams that might struggle. Poor Norwich are looking like fish in a barrel and everyone has a loaded gun. Normally tight Burnley have already conceded 9 and are struggling for goals, this could be their season. Newcastle and Leeds are conceding goals for fun right now too, though you think Leeds could improve. I also think Palace and Watford could slip though I liked the look of Palace last week and Edouard looked like a decent acquisition. Then there's Wolves who are struggling for goals. If we can keep our heads above water, we should be looking more towards mid-table than over our shoulders come the second half of the season.

10 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

3 wins and 2 draws from that lot - which I think is more than achievable given our current performance levels - would put us onto 18 points after 12 games.

15 points, we are on 4 points at the moment. We are on catch up already and shows we should have picked up a win in one of our opening games.

Still the two shut outs of Man United and City are pleasing.

Need to win at home to Wolves, they don't look great though would be sod's law Jimenez gets his mojo back against us or Troare finally finds some end product. Once the win monkey is off our backs and we score a few goals I think we will be looking confident. 

Would probably agree that the current bottom 3 are looking poor at the moment, but have to remember was it a few years ago Palace lost like 7 in a row without scoring a goal and then ended up mid table pretty comfortably. 

I’d be much more confident against Wolves if we were looking like scoring. This is a big sorry for me, as apart from that I think we’re the better team. Hopefully we can get that first win on the board Sunday, and that would be a very good start this season given fixtures. Need to put a run together. 

We are better than every team on that list save Chelsea. Villa look crap without Grealish (a win against a severely weakened Everton against the run of play not withstanding), Leeds look no where near as good this season either. I expect atleast 14 points from the next seven games tbh

14 minutes ago, TWar said:

We are better than every team on that list save Chelsea. Villa look crap without Grealish (a win against a severely weakened Everton against the run of play not withstanding), Leeds look no where near as good this season either. I expect atleast 14 points from the next seven games tbh

Teams as poor as we are in the final third of the pitch will always struggle to win games.

Our options in attacking areas are considerably weaker than most of those teams

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Verbal Kint said:

Teams as poor as we are in the final third of the pitch will always struggle to win games.

Our options in attacking areas are considerably weaker than most of those teams

Disagree, I think Armstrong is great, just still getting settled.

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

15 points, we are on 4 points at the moment. 

Yes, of course. I appear to have added in an extra win in my calculations.

Even so, 15 points would still be fairly respectable, given that many people tipped us to struggle and we will have already played Utd, City and Chelsea, and gone away to two of our bogey grounds.

On 18/09/2021 at 20:55, Sheaf Saint said:

So we've emerged from the tricky first 5 fixtures with more points than many expected, and after our disappointing capitulation against Everton on the first day we're starting to look like a team that is actually hard to beat.

Our next seven look much more winnable than the first five did before the season started, with the exception of a trip to Chelsea. Although, given we just went to the Etihad and Made City look ordinary, I wouldn't put it past us to get something at Stamford Bridge as well.

Wolves (H)

Chelsea (A)

Leeds (H)

Burnley (H)

Watford (A)

Villa (H)

Norwich (A)

After that we've got consecutive home games against Liverpool and Leicester, then another four games where we would hope/expect to get points from - Brighton and Brentford at home and Arsenal and Palace away. 2 wins and 2 draws from all them (again - achievable) would put us on 26 points as we reach the half way point of the season.

I'm actually feeling pretty positive right now. 

I agree the next run of fixtures looks better than our first 5, however I also agree with others who worry where our goals are going to come from. 

How many league games have we won in 2021? 

• 1 month later...

OK so Wolves didn't turn out how we would have liked, and we expected to get beaten at Chelsea, but 2 wins and a draw from Leeds, Burnley and Watford is decent. Perform like we did today and we'll surely beat Norwich, and Villa haven't been all that lately so we shouldn't fear them at SMS on Friday.

I'm still feeling positive we'll be OK this season.

• Like 1