Where do players choose to live?

Viking Saint

As a kid going through 6th form,  I had a part time job in the Montagu Arms in Beaulieu in the mid 80s.  One day a stunning woman walked in and came up to the bar, bought a drink and asked me what it was like living in the area.  I said it was a lovely forest village if that’s what you’re looking for and we chatted for a bit.  During that, she said her and her husband were moving down as he was a professional footballer and had just joined Southampton.  They bought that house and Russell Osman became a bit of a regular on a Sunday afternoon/evening (halves of lager if I recall correctly).

I went to school with David Armstrong's nipper for a while. He lived in one of the big houses in Fair Oak at the top of Mortimers Lane. It's much changed now, but the big houses are still there surrounded by other big houses. I lived in one of the small houses.
My brother used to live next door to MLT in North Baddesley. Matt has since moved and I heard he was near where Jeff Stelling is out Bishops Waltham way (but I might be wrong)

1 minute ago, Chickendippers said:

I went to school with David Armstrong's nipper for a while. He lived in one of the big houses in Fair Oak at the top of Mortimers Lane. It's much changed now, but the big houses are still there surrounded by other big houses. I lived in one of the small houses.
My brother used to live next door to MLT in North Baddesley. Matt has since moved and I heard he was near where Jeff Stelling is out Bishops Waltham way (but I might be wrong)

MLT is in Awbridge now, near Lockerley over Romsey way.

3 hours ago, The Left Back said:

Kevin Keegan lived out at Romsey.  I've got a funny feeling he might still own the place.

Last I heard Matt Le Tiss was Awbridge way.

He did. 

My dad sold him carpets and went there to measure up. He was the manager of the carpet store and wouldn’t normally do that, but my brother made him go! 

Used to see David Prutton jogging down Hursley Road, Chandlers Ford in the early 2000s.

Going back a bit further, whilst waiting for a mate who lived in a flat in Ocean Village once, I was vaguely aware of a bloke coming out of his front door and sparking up a fag. It was only after a few minutes that I glanced in his direction and did a bit of a double take - it was Robbie Slater. I lived in central Southampton around that time and regularly drank in the faux Irish pub O'Neil's in Oxford Street. Regularly saw Saints players in there, including one Saturday night when there were about 10 of them. I think I'm right in saying that Matt Oakley liked a ciggy too - must've been the tail end of when this was tolerated from pro footballers..

Cuco Martina used to live at Chilworth. My best friend was working on an alarm system nearby and apparently he'd locked himself out so she helped him get back in. As she hates football she had no idea who he was - "some Saints player" - who I identified by a process of elimination. Apparently he didn't have much of a clue about anything really, she's too polite to call someone thick..

8 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

I used to live in Enfield, if that helps. I can safely say there are no saints players residing here in West Virginia. But I did watch Bradley Wright-Philips playing for Columbus Crew so he cant be too far away.....

I lived in Forty Hill from 1964 to 1970 and my family originate from the Enfield Edmonton area. My dad used to go and watch Spurs train at their ground in Cuffley.

On a vaguely related note, when my mum died a few years ago we called in a house clearance co. This was in SE London. Chap who came was interested in a couple of things (sixties table and sideboard) but most of the rest would go for scrap.  When he found out I was a Saints supporter he said he'd done a house clearance for one of our players when he'd signed for us.  He was not impressed either with the style "all white leather, flash, vulgar" or the fact that the player just abandoned everything as he'd just buy new for his new home.  Somewhere near Southampton there's probably a similar house with abandoned furniture now Ryan's gone to Leicester.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, vince said:

As a kid going through 6th form,  I had a part time job in the Montagu Arms in Beaulieu in the mid 80s.  One day a stunning woman walked in and came up to the bar, bought a drink and asked me what it was like living in the area.  I said it was a lovely forest village if that’s what you’re looking for and we chatted for a bit.  During that, she said her and her husband were moving down as he was a professional footballer and had just joined Southampton.  They bought that house and Russell Osman became a bit of a regular on a Sunday afternoon/evening (halves of lager if I recall correctly).

Osman had a bit of a reputation at one point, and think he was linked with Suzanne Dando at some stage. Whether that was before or after Charlie Nicholas and her were together can't recall.

Linking the themes of player's 'activities' and locations, Osgood was rumoured to be knobbing an Air Hostess from Otterbourne, and was seen in some of the pubs there at one stage ,White Horse I think was mentioned.

• Confused 1

Che Adams and Kyle Walker-Peters both live 2 doors up from me in Winchester - in 2 separate houses that are a new build. Loads of current Saints players live in Winch and and in OV as already stated.  There is a red Ferrari in OV occasionally with a numberplate RK 1 and I know Koeman bought a flat there so do wonder if he pops in. 

Steven Davies used to live opposite Westgate School.   Met Mané in Winch Wagamammas a few years ago on his birthday (which is the same as my sons). 

On 19/11/2021 at 14:37, Saint Garrett said:

A lot of them live around Winchester.  I was told Steven Davis still lives there, and commutes to Rangers.

Quite a few of them are moving to Ascot area supposedly, which is where Macca lives atm.

Yes I’m sure Davo is still based there.

Claus lived in our road in Chandlers Ford. 

On 19/11/2021 at 09:24, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Tessem, Lundekvam and Dodd were all in Chandlers Ford at points in the early 2000's.

The club have a couple of flats in Ocean Village and now also apartments at the Harbour Hotel for players when they initially are settling in. Djenepo was there for a while (might still be) and Lyanco is. Tadic also was there initially when he joined us. 

Hasenhuttl used to be there too, but I think I read somewhere he's out in the Forest now.

Ralph is still in OV. Seen him returning from the training ground some evenings in his Porsche with a German plate

On 19/11/2021 at 06:36, Miltonaggro said:

Dave Watson lived in a large rendered 'between the wars' property on Brookvale Road in Highfield.  Used to see him mowing the lawn - held the lines well as you'd expect!  Again a lovely down-to-earth approachable chap.

I was trying to remember if it was in Highfield. I had a summer job working at a builder’s merchant in St Annes Road in Woolston and was on lorry that delivered cement, sand and building blocks to his house.

• Like 1