Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

We didn't need Perraud to be top quality for him to be an upgrade on an aging Bertrand. I think he is a very good player for our system for the next 3 or 4 years, with a view to upgrading if we are lucky enough to find ourselves consistently top half and wanting to push on. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

One of the best things about the Broja goal is having that anticipation and excitement as he makes his way towards goal. When I was watching, as soon as Romeu (at the time thought it was JWP until I saw JWP praise Rom in the celebration) played the ball, I was off my seat. Broja's first touch took it away from the defenders nicely. The finish could have been better but it was great satisfaction seeing it go in off the keeper and I'm massively pleased for him

As for the other goals, Bednarek's showed that JWP can put in a good corner, Diallo's showed the value of sometimes taking a shot, and Adam's (which I missed on my stream initially) showed that route one football sometimes has it's place.

Brentford were poor (bar perhaps Janelt) but they did pick up in the last few minutes. Funny how, as a Saints fan, we can still be nervous 3 goals to the good! 

My man of the match was Captain Fantastic, but everybody on the pitch had a decent game. Diallo was tenacious, Fraser made decent saves and the 3 CBS were chucking themselves at everything like it was a cup final. Tella played well out of position, Perraud rampaged forward (though his end product needs work) and Romeu was... Romeu. Broja is something special. Really only Redmond could be considered as having an average game but such was the strength of our bench we could replace him with a goalscorer. 

Very happy today. Seems like a big win has been a long time coming. This will give the lads confidence heading into a tricky run of fixtures. 24 points after 20 games should mean mid-table this season if we can push on and keep people fit. Let's also win the FA Cup shall we? 😁

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

One of the best things about the Broja goal is having that anticipation and excitement as he makes his way towards goal. When I was watching, as soon as Romeu (at the time thought it was JWP until I saw JWP praise Rom in the celebration) played the ball, I was off my seat. Broja's first touch took it away from the defenders nicely. The finish could have been better but it was great satisfaction seeing it go in off the keeper and I'm massively pleased for him

As for the other goals, Bednarek's showed that JWP can put in a good corner, Diallo's showed the value of sometimes taking a shot, and Adam's (which I missed on my stream initially) showed that route one football sometimes has it's place.

Brentford were poor (bar perhaps Janelt) but they did pick up in the last few minutes. Funny how, as a Saints fan, we can still be nervous 3 goals to the good! 

My man of the match was Captain Fantastic, but everybody on the pitch had a decent game. Diallo was tenacious, Fraser made decent saves and the 3 CBS were chucking themselves at everything like it was a cup final. Tella played well out of position, Perraud rampaged forward (though his end product needs work) and Romeu was... Romeu. Broja is something special. Really only Redmond could be considered as having an average game but such was the strength of our bench we could replace him with a goalscorer. 

Very happy today. Seems like a big win has been a long time coming. This will give the lads confidence heading into a tricky run of fixtures. 24 points after 20 games should mean mid-table this season if we can push on and keep people fit. Let's also win the FA Cup shall we? 😁

Agree with most of this but for me Diallo was far more than tenacious. He was gliding across the pitch and making the ball do the work plus playing some incisive passes that almost always found their target. His was an extremely accomplished display and he's clearly gained in confidence. He needs to be a regular starter for me.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The prospect of Small and Tino as the wing backs in the formation we played last night is a very exciting one.

Not sure where that leaves KWP though.

This is something I'm really looking forward to. 

I don't think we'll play that formation every game so there's still a place for KWP, especially as the workrate required for full backs or wing backs in our system is so high that injuries are inevitable.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Just watched the goals back again. Didn't realise at the time just what a great goal Broja's was. Being up at the other end from where the move started, I didn't fully appreciate the quick passing between JWP, Salisu and Rom.  

Pass from Romeu inside the defender was superb !

• Like 5

2 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Agreed, but sadly those 6 drawn games have also cost us 12 points !

15 points from 10 home games is very respectable for a club that is one of the lowest spenders in the Premier League. Over a season that would average out at around 28-29 points which is a good chunk of what is needed to stay up. Yes, we'd all like more wins but we have made St Marys a tougher place to come to this season.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, skintsaint said:

😅 he puts it in the net so struggle to understand how it could be better.

Like properly smashed it in top corner. Their keeper almost had it. It reminded me of MLT's flicky goal against Newcastle - absolutely amazing skill with a finish that (even MLT agrees) could have been better and was a bit scuffed. Still even with the Goalie touch it probably goes down as one of the better goals we've scored this season.

But ultimately, of course I'm delighted for him that it went in. Hopefully we get to see many more and beyond this season.

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Like properly smashed it in top corner. Their keeper almost had it. It reminded me of MLT's flicky goal against Newcastle - absolutely amazing skill with a finish that (even MLT agrees) could have been better and was a bit scuffed. Still even with the Goalie touch it probably goes down as one of the better goals we've scored this season.

But ultimately, of course I'm delighted for him that it went in. Hopefully we get to see many more and beyond this season.

To be fair he might have struck a cleaner shot and seen it saved by the keeper. Mind you, pretty well anything against that keeper on target was likely to go in. He made me grateful to have FF and AM. Seemed on the short side as well.

On 13/01/2022 at 00:06, Teddeer said:

15 points from 10 home games is very respectable for a club that is one of the lowest spenders in the Premier League. Over a season that would average out at around 28-29 points which is a good chunk of what is needed to stay up. Yes, we'd all like more wins but we have made St Marys a tougher place to come to this season.

Agreed, and all things considered it was good results against  Man.U, West Ham and Tottenham but if we'd only managed wins

from  those other drawn games we'd be 6 points better off now.   We had the winning of those other matches but sadly let them slip.

Hope the recent revival of form continues, we  were sadly short of goals upto the Palace game (15th Dec).     Looks brighter now. 

• Like 1