Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Just now, Mr X said:

Praying the owners can did deep enough for broja even if he is our only signing! 

It would not only be a fantastic signing, but it would also send a bit of a message to the rest of the league that we are a slightly different Southampton now. Well we can dream yes? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Anyone else listening to Danny Mills? What a tard he is

He was such a negative arse all night. Like he hates us. Which is weird. Think he was sour that he looked a Wally after recommending people bet on us losing when we were one up. Also every thing we did well was basically them defending badly. What is his problem?

Just now, Dr Who? said:

It would not only be a fantastic signing, but it would also send a bit of a message to the rest of the league that we are a slightly different Southampton now. Well we can dream yes? 

How much is he worth in today's market? Got to be 40 million plus and we've never ever gone into that territory

Thought we might find it a bit tough tonight after the FA Cup game, but that's got to be one of our best performances in the last few seasons!

JWP has to be the fittest player in the league. His engine is ridiculous, and it doesn't seem to matter how much he's played.

• Like 5

from the BBC

It's an honour to be playing for this team'

FT: Southampton 4-1 Brentford

82411eb0-6b68-404d-b29a-405d2fc7f6be.jpg

Southampton

Southampton forward Armando Broja: "We started strong, it was a great goal by Jan [Bednarek] and delivery from Prowsey [James Ward-Prowse]. We started on the front foot pressing high and the boys were amazing.

"To play in your home stadium with the fans behind us, that gave us momentum and drive and we just kept going from there. Even after the equaliser we kept pushing."

On his goal: "It was a great ball from Oriol Romeu, I knew the defence were quite open there so I didn't think they would catch me from there. It was a good goal so I'm happy.

"When it's 2-1 they are driving forward and they could always get a lucky goal which changes the perspective of the game so when you get a third goal you can keep going.

"It's an honour to be playing in the Premier League for such a good club and be around a club like this and players like this so I'm thankful to be around the team. I am trying my best to help the team and score goals, that's all I can do."

On how the fans have taken to him: "It's amazing, there's no better feeling than having the fans behind you, it's amazing, touches the heart and to have that response I am really thankful for them."

• Like 16

Incredibly happy right now. Didn't see that coming after they equalised. So good to actually put a team to the sword for once and finish the game with a comfortable lead. Feels like it's been far too long since we experienced that.

Good run of form at the moment (coinceidence that it's since Forster came back in?) and it was important to get those 3 points tonight ahead of some tricky fixtures.

A weakened squad, an unfamiliar formation, a tired team after ET 3 days ago, and we still punished the opposition and kept pressing til the end. Can't find anything about that to be unhappy about (though I'm sure somebody will!)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

I thought Lyanco had a much better second half. It wasn't error free, but it did contain some crucial tackles and he got a lot of praise from the commentators.

Agree. He worries me but was better second half. Maybe Ralph told him to keep it simple.

7 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

HAHA.

They don't want us to sign Broja.

They all hate the idea of that.

Lets upset everyone, lets make the kid happy and give him the time he wants. Fuck Chelsea. And fuck these mongs commentating. 

It’s not out of the question we could do a Livramento-type deal with Chelsea having a set price buy back. They did that when they sold Tammy Abraham to Roma, 68m buy back but he has to serve a minimum of two seasons with Roma before it comes into effect.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

How much is he worth in today's market? Got to be 40 million plus and we've never ever gone into that territory

Yes and not only that it’s the wages. What we do not want to do is unsettle overs over one big signing. I feel this will be the problem at Newcastle by paying big money for a few players, splashing the cash and upsetting the squad. If we do it clever and slowly we could build something pretty good. Interesting times for sure.

18 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Anyone else listening to Danny Mills? What a tard he is

I did as I thought I’d see talkSPORT take on it. 
Mills didn’t have a good word to say about us. 
It was all how bad Brentford were. 
flattering score line,we didn’t  test them many times with attempts on goal and so on. 
And  trying to tout JWP to a ‘bigger’ club. 
had to get back to Blackmore and merrington on Solent sharpish. 
Grest result tonight and it all seems positive right now. 
looks like Dragan and Kraft enjoyed it also. 

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DT said:

He was such a negative arse all night. Like he hates us. Which is weird. Think he was sour that he looked a Wally after recommending people bet on us losing when we were one up. Also every thing we did well was basically them defending badly. What is his problem?

Got bullied by Ostenstad back in the day when he tried to a hard man… Proper bottled a square up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

It’s not out of the question we could do a Livramento-type deal with Chelsea having a set price buy back. They did that when they sold Tammy Abraham to Roma, 68m buy back but he has to serve a minimum of two seasons with Roma before it comes into effect.

How much did Roma pay? Personally think Broja has more potential than Abraham.

• Like 2

Enter the fuckin Dragan 🇷🇸🇷🇸

That has been long overdue. A game where we take our chances and also get a bit of luck (game was over by the last 10 minutes anyways).

Plenty of very good performances - Broja, Tella, Romeu, Bednarek, Forster to note. Standouts for me were Perraud, Diallo and JWP, all three were exceptional. Hopefully that silences Perrauds doubters for a while. Shame Diallo wont get his goal - he loved it all the same.

Lyanco is a mad man but his energy is superb. Sometimes he can overplay a bit and get caught in possession a bit like Salisu (must be the brazilian in him). Sometimes he should just pump it into row Z.

Can overlook those last 10 minutes where we went missing but Forster was there when called upon.

Feels good to be a saints fan right now - on to Molineaux 👊🏻👊🏻

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DT said:

He's always been a wanker. Listen to under the cosh podcast on YouTube. Comes across as a right knob.

• Like 1

Just now, nta786 said:

Tim Sherwood really showing his admiration for Ralph tonight

”I want Hasenhuttl, a disciple of Rangnick, to be in charge of Manchester United, everyday of the week”

The Skate likes to try and unsettle the Saints 😂 

• Haha 1

Tim and Owen saying what Saints are doing is more than reasonable, the net spend is incredibly small (see screenshot) and maybe it’s not worth breaking a football club to breach the top 6 once

Edited by nta786

1 minute ago, Dr Who? said:

The Skate likes to try and unsettle the Saints 😂 

What a tit. Spurs don’t half produce some dicks. All of whom think they are a ‘big club’ with entitlement. Mythic past. Never win anything. Even have to nick our song and pretend it’s theirs. Sad sacks. 

• Like 3

I thought Salisu was excellent tonight. There was a moment in the first half, I think in the 34th minute, where Perraud had gone AWOL and Salisu was covering at left back. Brentford had the ball with two men high on the right. He tackled both of them hard and clean inside three seconds and put the ball in touch. He is seriously good.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I didn't know that. Interesting.

If we could get him for say £30m, which would be well beyond our budget I should think, it would be money well spent.

Edited by Chez

5 minutes ago, nta786 said:

”I want Hasenhuttl, a disciple of Rangnick, to be in charge of Manchester United, everyday of the week”

Nice, but United would have to ditch 2/3 of their squad, including Ronaldo, to play Ralph’s way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I didn't know that. Interesting.

If we could get him for say £30m, which would be well beyond our budget I should think, but maybe less than they might want for him (lets just run with it) and they had a buy back for £48m and the two year thing was in place, would that tempt our owner?

This is football chez anything is possible. 

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

This is football chez anything is possible. 

I changed my post when I saw the £34m/£68m figures for Abraham. No brainer decision for both sides for Abraham and if similar for Broja also a no brainer. Not sure we have £30m to spend. Maybe if we don't need to sign another player. But a keeper is one straight away...probably.

13 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Does this knob provide any other punditry than suggesting who players/managers of lower teams could leave for?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1