Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

I don't quite know how to react after that, it's all a very surreal and unusual feeling in a PL game. To be that comfortable in the final 10 mins is something i've dreamt of for many years! 

We started so well and so fast, this has become a bit of a statement of our season so far - we start well, we get on the front food and are seemingly taking lots of early leads in games as we catch the opposition asleep. We're on it from min 1 and we were even more on it today. We didn't play as well as we can do in the first half, but we played with an intensity which Brentford found hard to counter - so they couldn't really get into the game because of that.

The second half played into our hands really, Brentford pushed and opened the game up a bit. That left great space in behind for us to counter press to our hearts content. They had the majority of possession in that 2nd half, but because our press was still spot on we nullified a lot of their threat and were able to catch them in behind on a few occasions (notably the two goals, in behind, over the top etc). 

That game in a nutshell is our philosophy working to perfection. No, we won't have tons of possession, but we will press the living hell out of you and counter when we get it with pace and power.

JWP was absolutely imperious. A glorious performance all around from him, absolutely faultless. Big clubs will undoubtedly be sniffing with those sorts of showings. Diallo for me as well was epic. So good on the ball, so agile in his movement. He plays better in a more advanced central midfield role than a 'Romeu' replacement in my eyes, you get the best of Diallo by letting him burst forward as he has terrific pace and trickery to beat a man.

Broja kept the Brentford defence on guard all night long. He was electric. He's so quick, so powerful and they were scared shitless of him. He's got the beating of anyone one on one, the attributes he provides us are perfect. I don't think we can sign him perm, but I'd be doing everything now to try and do a deal for a 2nd season loan.

I can't list all the 11 as they all had good games to reasonable effect. Lyanco had a better 2nd half than first half, whereby he was a bit dodgy and dangerous with the ball. He settled down a bit in the 2nd half. Perruad as others have said offered us balance on the left side, he does lack that quality to get the ball in though - he needs to be better with the final delivery to be a proper wing back in this type of system.

It was important to get this big win in advance of what is a very daunting run of fixtures heading our way, this gives us terrific breathing space and in a certain respect the pressure is slightly off - so we may see some surprising results from the games we don't expect anything in. We can certainly cause anyone a problem if we play as we did today.

• Like 17

18 minutes ago, VictiAbNonem said:

How good was FF in that second half?

He's done well this season, certainly looks more accomplished and complete compared to McCarthy. The problem with Forster is the stupid contract he was given, so he'll drift out of contract and find a club elsewhere. He still has limitations in his game but that's where we are.

I think we'll get ourselves a new number 1 in the summer either way, McCarthy will end up the backup keeper and Fraser will be at a new club somewhere.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bpsaint said:

There’s a certain irony to the fact that we were forced to play that formation tonight in part due to an injury to Livramento, yet I’d love to see us play that formation with him at right wing back.

Yep, tailor made for him I agree 

2 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

There’s a certain irony to the fact that we were forced to play that formation tonight in part due to an injury to Livramento, yet I’d love to see us play that formation with him at right wing back.

That is his position in a nutshell really. That formation did work really well for us in the sense of our 'style, but I think we'd need another Salisu style CB though before I'd be fully confident playing that way.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, saint lard said:

I did as I thought I’d see talkSPORT take on it. 
Mills didn’t have a good word to say about us. 
It was all how bad Brentford were. 
flattering score line,we didn’t  test them many times with attempts on goal and so on. 
And  trying to tout JWP to a ‘bigger’ club. 
had to get back to Blackmore and merrington on Solent sharpish. 
Grest result tonight and it all seems positive right now. 
looks like Dragan and Kraft enjoyed it also. 

You must have enjoyed that Thomas Franck masterclass tonight against a team with a crap manager who played 120 minutes 3 days ago with 10 men.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Also good to know Tella can cover that position, even when we're four right backs down.

15 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

You have to wonder about the coddling that players get when JWP covered every blade of grass twice in four days and was still running at the end. It’s inspirational for everyone around him. As someone else saiid, what an engine he’s got.

He is irreplaceable IMO, sure he might not be some super creative progressive passer or dribbler or particularly quick, but he's probably the best set piece taker in Europe right now, and his work rate, stamina and all round fitness is amazing. Plus his tackling, intercepting and aggressiveness have improved massively under Ralph, he's like a little terrier, he never stops. He's also filled in a right back multiple times and looked like he's played there his whole life. Plus he can take a good pen and pop up with the odd goal from open play and has a great cross on him like we saw at Swansea. 

Signing him on a new contract for another 5 years is the best business in years and I think maybe a blessing in disguise that basically the contract that was supposed to go to Ings went to him instead. (who still only has 4 goals this season for Villa and JWP has 5). 

• Like 5

Haven't read the thread yet. What a fantastic result. Some amazing performances there beyond the obvious Broja, whose brilliance continues to shine. Lyanco, Romeo, Dialo, Forster all played really well. JWP played a dominant captain's role with a brilliant goal-saving tackle at the end. Perraud gets knocked on here but he did well again running forward and creating opportunities. good to see Che back and hungry. Adam Armstrong will hopefully score again and go on a run. Stuart Armstrong obviously affected by Covid and is taking time to find his level.

Our new owner looked genuinely happy to be there and engaged - enjoying the environment and the win.

For all the prannets on here who think Ralph isn't good enough for us - the DAZN panelists Tim Sherwood and Owen Hargreaves (who have both always been fans of Ralph) - already talking about him taking over at Man Utd. It's so true you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone - well I for one, know we have a great manager in Ralph. Not without the ability to improve, like all of us. I do not take RH for granted for one moment. I will enjoy our moment in the sun with the prospect of moving up the table and onwards without thinking about losing Ralph for now!

• Like 5

Some excellent individual performances tonight but Ward Prowse was unreal. Just never stopped. 

We coasted that game when we should have been tired after the weekend. A really great, enjoyable performance. Good atmosphere in the ground as well.

Looking forward to Wolves on Saturday 

• Like 3

Tonight puts some “welcome to Southampton” pressure on Dragan and the ownership group. Great performance, great result, fans buzzing - and the first thing they hear is about the manager and key players needing to go to bigger clubs, including the talismanic JWP. He really looked like he was enjoying himself tonight, and he doesn’t have his feeder-club structure built yet, so It will be interesting to see how he reacts.

4 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Haven't read the thread yet. What a fantastic result. Some amazing performances there beyond the obvious Broja, whose brilliance continues to shine. Lyanco, Romeo, Dialo, Forster all played really well. JWP played a dominant captain's role with a brilliant goal-saving tackle at the end. Perraud gets knocked on here but he did well again running forward and creating opportunities. good to see Che back and hungry. Adam Armstrong will hopefully score again and go on a run. Stuart Armstrong obviously affected by Covid and is taking time to find his level.

Our new owner looked genuinely happy to be there and engaged - enjoying the environment and the win.

For all the prannets on here who think Ralph isn't good enough for us - the DAZN panelists Tim Sherwood and Owen Hargreaves (who have both always been fans of Ralph) - already talking about him taking over at Man Utd. It's so true you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone - well I for one, know we have a great manager in Ralph. Not without the ability to improve, like all of us. I do not take RH for granted for one moment. I will enjoy our moment in the sun with the prospect of moving up the table and onwards without thinking about losing Ralph for now!

I thought Man Utd were desperate for Pochettino?

Who here would swap Ralph for Poch right now?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Streaky said:

He's always been a wanker. Listen to under the cosh podcast on YouTube. Comes across as a right knob.

The time he tried empty Henry at the corner flag and was mugged off was glorious.

Hes a cock. Also made some snarky comment before ko saying that it was a game which would put players in the shop window for other teams.

18 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

It seems everything is 'embarrassing' these days. Can you clarify, because I'm genuinely interested. are you 'embarrassed' by the tweet or you feel he ought to be 'embarrassed' or is it something else?

I think it’s because of the ‘can’t link to Twitter part’ to be fair to Manji! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

It seems everything is 'embarrassing' these days. Can you clarify, because I'm genuinely interested. are you 'embarrassed' by the tweet or you feel he ought to be 'embarrassed' or is it something else?

Jeez I was expressing my embarrassment at not being able to post Brojas phone cam message to the fans. Don’t know about you but I am buzzing after watching the match.

• Like 2

Just back from the game. Brilliant performance and atmosphere, forgot what it’s like to watch us at home and feel comfortable with 10 minutes to go! What a win and a great bit of breathing space. 

JWP, Diallo, Perraud, Broja and Romeu all brilliant. Cannot fault anyone else either, great work from the team despite 8 starters (I think?) who also started the Swansea game, superb levels of fitness and commitment. 

Lyanco’s family were behind us in a box and joined in with a bit of ‘who are ya’ to the Brentford fans when we went 2-1 up 🤣

Please please please can we keep Broja? It’s horrible falling in love with a loan player… 😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Diallo superb today, as others have said. Even without the own goal it would've been a near MOTM performance - got through so much work alongside Romeu and JWP.

With more game time you can see his confidence growing. He is becoming so silky on the ball and great in transition. Has a great touch and is now turning out of trouble much quicker and setting up attacks with some astute passing. Think we've got a gem there and he'll get better and better.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

I think it’s because of the ‘can’t link to Twitter part’ to be fair to Manji! 

Thank you I cannot believe my comment is being analysed. FFS what about the game ?

oh and while I’m at it thanks for the stream so I could watch it.

Edited by manji

Superb! We really seem to have turned the corner and are now making the most of opportunities but showing a lot of guts and determination too. There's a real togetherness about the team these days. Great to see. 

Too bad we couldn't have had a crack at Newcastle while in this form. 

• Like 1

I agree. It reminded me of how games at St Mary's used to be back in 2016. Ward-Prowse, Diallo, Broja etc were outstanding but having Forster back in goal seems to improve the way the whole team plays. It was especially pleasing to see us dominate the second half of a game against a Brentford team that's scored a lot of late goals this season. They were outworked and outclassed and as the 3rd and 4th goals went in looked like they just wanted to go home. An exception to that was their young German midfielder, Janelt, who as well as scoring a very good goal, kept battling away in midfield. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Diallo superb today, as others have said. Even without the own goal it would've been a near MOTM performance - got through so much work alongside Romeu and JWP.

That midfield trio were superb, completely shut down the Brentford midfield and set alight many attacking moves.  That pass from Romeu leading to Broja's well taken goal was pure.   Must have been a joy to be at the ground tonight - watching on it felt like a return to the (best of)  Koeman days; the misery of seasons under Hughes, Pellegrino and even Puel seemed to be expunged tonight.  I know we aren't going to win 4-1 every home game, but the promise of the new ownership, and the feeling that our best players won't be sold automatically; that some more quality will be drafted in and  the side having a clearer more expansive identity suggest optimistic times ahead.

Quite a long list of players to commend beyond Romeu, JWP and Diallo.   Broja once again underlined what a gem he is - it's all been said but the Club must move mountains to at least secure a second loan season.   Good to see Bednarek and Lyanco giving their all in what looked to be a battle to become Salisu's CB partner in a different set up.   Tella did well in his hybrid spot, was it RB, RWB or wide attacker?     Perraud was heavily involved; Redmond busy if a little erratic in possession. The Adams goal beautifully taken and Forster in goal was good tonight.

Happy days.

• Like 1

Wow, didn’t see that coming.

JWP was colossal - interceptions, tackles, covered every blade of grass. 120mins at the weekend, then puts in a performance like that on a Tuesday. Summed up by sprinting to chase a ball down the channel in the 94th minute, he must have 6 lungs.

Dont think it was a coincidence that we went rather ragged in the last ten minutes when JWP was moved out of the middle. 

Broja is going to be some player, enjoy him while he’s here. 

A word for Fraser as well, good save at the end. But biggest triumph was his distribution, so much better from him and makes a real difference. We don’t get that from McCarthy.

Thought in a great team performance, Redmond was a bit underwhelming, kept giving the ball away. Also not sold on Perraud, gets caught out of position too much. Plus he seems so reluctant to get forward, lost count of the amount of times Diallo was waiting for him to make a run/overlap. But when he does, his crosses don’t seem to be the first man. Hopefully with confidence this will get better.

All in all a great evening - when was the last time we stuck 4 in at home in the league? Everton under Pellegrino?

Edited by ErwinK1961

James Ward-Prowse, James Ward-Prowse, James Ward fucking Prowse!!

What a monumental performance, utterly exemplary, the absolute optimity of what you want from a captain. Sensational.

for me, he stays at the club the rest of his career he becomes the legend of legends, he really does.

His fitness, work rate , Commitment, Desire, and Passion is unequalled and unquestionably.

my motm by a country mile and that’s with some club best performances by the likes of Diallo, Broja, Perraud 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

How much is he worth in today's market? Got to be 40 million plus and we've never ever gone into that territory

Sounds about right and unaffordable. I wonder if we could do a Tino-style deal? Buy him for, say, £10m and they can buy him back for £25m in 2-3 years time if they wish to?

Did anyone else hear Tim Sherwood bleating like a disease ridden ewe about how Broja is Chelsea's striker solution and he thinks he will definitely go back?

One of the worst pundits I've ever listened to.

Great game, bit all over the shop at the end (not sure how we didn't concede a second during that strange spell!) Overall, a brilliant win given the constraints on our defence.

• Like 3

Prowsey was my MOTM tonight, absolutely sensational performance. An inspirational captain, that goal saving tackle he made in the last few minutes was amazing. Diallo, Broja, Romeu, Fraser and Perraud were all class too :) the whole team was great again tonight. Such a great win to follow up from Saturdays Cup victory in front of our new owner. Dragan certainly enjoyed that :)

We simply have to do everything we possibly can to get Broja to stay- he is just on completely another level. Has got everything to be top draw :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Prowsey was my MOTM tonight, absolutely sensational performance. An inspirational captain, that goal saving tackle he made in the last few minutes was amazing. Diallo, Broja, Romeu, Fraser and Perraud were all class too :) such a great win to follow up from Saturdays Cup victory in front of the new owners :)

I would have Prowsey over Jack Grealish , all day every day,.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Did anyone else hear Tim Sherwood bleating like a disease ridden ewe about how Broja is Chelsea's striker solution and he thinks he will definitely go back?

One of the worst pundits I've ever listened to.

Great game, bit all over the shop at the end (not sure how we didn't concede a second during that strange spell!) Overall, a brilliant win given the constraints on our defence.

He's got a 'Tim, nice but Dim' vibe about him. Thinks incredibly highly of himself, but hasn't really done anything to back that up. Talks a lot but doesn't seem to know what he's saying half the time. He kept incorrectly calling out Diallo as Tella in the goal replays.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

JWP was absolutely imperious. A glorious performance all around from him, absolutely faultless. Big clubs will undoubtedly be sniffing with those sorts of showings. Diallo for me as well was epic. So good on the ball, so agile in his movement. He plays better in a more advanced central midfield role than a 'Romeu' replacement in my eyes, you get the best of Diallo by letting him burst forward as he has terrific pace and trickery to beat a man.

Was thinking the same about Diallo - assumed (maybe unfairly) he was a replacement for Hojbjerg, but looks much more at home in a Steven Davis role (which we need too).

• Like 1