Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Diallo, JWP and Romeu were brilliant. Liked the use of the hybrid 3/4 at the back. Perraud ran them ragged down the left hand side. 

JWP MOM for me, with Diallo a close second. Just love how he keeps things so simple. Great performance. 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 2

Got to say that Ralph again got the formation right with the players we had available. Keep it going, think he may have changed a bit this year, also right subs at the right time.

Big shout out to the machine that is JWP, amazing that now he is fully fit he is back to his best.

Was busy so just finished watching it on sky. Excellent game, well set up formation, superb goals by Broja and Adams. My man of the match is JWP, his corner set the stage and some of his tackles were incredible. Runners up both Diallo and Romeu who were both immense. Perraud good too. Probably our best performance as a team of the season.

Yeah,  same for me as most people on here. JWP easily MoM for me. First touch in congested areas was perfect and always seemed to be a split second ahead of the opposition when moving the ball on. Also had great awareness of his teammates around him also. Diallo and OR  next to him were also very impressive.  The 3 of them controlled the match. Bit of a shame about Perauds crossing but I think that will come. Lyanco still worries me a bit. Great heart and all that, but theres definitely a few rash mistakes in him. Also great from Broja, led the line very well. It did feel that we didnt have to really break them down to beat them, if we'd conceded those 4 goals we'd all be really pissed off. Anyway, the table looks lovely at the moment and I cant help but feel we're going to enjoy the second half of the season more than the first half. Enjoy the win everyone.

• Like 1

Brentford should have just played the original result and were assumedly pretty confident after we were forced to extra time having played the majority of the match with 10 men at the weekend. Lets do the same to Newcastle.

Hopefully it's a sign that performances and standards across the club are being raised again following the takeover. We know we're capable of performances like tonight, as we showed post lockdown and prior to the injury plague.

Here's to the new era!

• Like 1

That's the sort of performance and result we've threatened a few times this season.  Not a bad player in our team and some outstanding play by JWP, Perraud, Diallo and Forster (although it's a bit unfair to highlight anyone in a great team effort).  Well done all.

4 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

having Forster back in goal seems to improve the way the whole team plays. 

Yes yes yes. This has been clear for a while now, even last season when FF came in around the time we beat Liverpool at home. We are so much calmer with him in goal, so much more organised. He isn't the best keeper in the world, far from it, but he's miles ahead of McCarthy and is a bit of a beast to have between the sticks. If we give McCarthy a contract and not FF that'll be a terrible decision. FF is the superior keeper.

What a joy to watch that game. Diallo and Tella had cracking games. Salisu is brilliant. Love Lyanco. Broja is too good for us and even Redmond had a good game. What's going on?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Why does he pronounce his surname two different ways? Here he says Bro-ja whereas I've heard him say Broy-ya previously, so which is it? Any Albanians here to advise?

In his native Albania he is called Broy-ya. As he has lived in England since his birth, his name has been pronounced (or mis-pronounced) as Bro-ja and that has stuck. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Diallo, JWP and Romeu were brilliant. Liked the use of the hybrid 3/4 at the back. Perraud ran them ragged down the left hand side. 

JWP MOM for me, with Diallo a close second. Just love how he keeps things so simple. Great performance. 

Agree with all except Peraud. 

quote from BBC website

Now the home fans are holding up their phones with their torches on and waving them in the air.

Not quite sure a sliding Jan Bednarek challenge warrants the same sort of scene as something from an Adele concert, but whatever. Good to see the home fans enjoying themselves.

Why do we have the worst fans ?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Superb! We really seem to have turned the corner and are now making the most of opportunities but showing a lot of guts and determination too. There's a real togetherness about the team these days. Great to see. 

Too bad we couldn't have had a crack at Newcastle while in this form. 

Is it not up to us to get a new date for this game? We got the Brentford one sorted pretty sharpish, but I’m sure Newcastle are digging their heals. 

6 hours ago, Koolman said:

Amazing that many on here were wanting rid of JWP not so long ago.....

He was out of form but crazy to want him out. Thought he was outstanding against Spurs, but the games earlier on in the season he looked out of sorts, perhaps he was not fully fit. Is now. 

12 minutes ago, Hatch said:

quote from BBC website

Enjoying the first time we’ve scored 4 at home in over 4 years….yeah, the bastards, how dare they!!

Much better to bang the Perspex at the back of the stand and chant about having a disco, or even better that ridiculous bloody geography lesson - “we’re the Northam, we’re the Itchen…” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Hatch said:

quote from BBC website

Was this not something we did in the final at Wembley against Man U? We did this to show our ever gratefulness to the Liebherr family or Markus in particular? 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Enjoying the first time we’ve scored 4 at home in over 4 years….yeah, the bastards, how dare they!!

Much better to bang the Perspex at the back of the stand and chant about having a disco, or even better that ridiculous bloody geography lesson - “we’re the Northam, we’re the Itchen…” 

I prefer the debut album, with such classics as..

“we’re the right side over here”

”we’re the left side over here”

”we’re the middle over here”

”let’s go fecking mental”

”oooooooooooooooooo you’re shit aaaarrrrrrrhhhhhhh

”Timmy Timmy show us your bum”

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Was this not something we did in the final at Wembley against Man U? We did this to show our ever gratefulness to the liebherr Liebherr family or Markus in particular? 

Yes and we rightly got hammered for it that day as well

6 hours ago, Koolman said:

Amazing that many on here were wanting rid of JWP not so long ago.....

Football fans are a fickle bunch. We soon run out of patience when players/owners/managers do something we don't like. As Koolman says there were some scathing posts about JWP quite recently but he has been MOTM in his recent games and is going through a good patch at the moment. However, he will have a dip in form at some stage in the future and we will be back to wanting to show him the door. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Incredible performance by the team, but MOTM has to be JWP…probably the best game he’s had for Saints…not just in his own play, but also in his comm’s with other players (saw him berate Salisu for example).

Tactically Ralph was spot on matching Brentford with a back three and going strong in midfield. I think in general the players at his disposal are more suited to that system. JWP, Romeu and Diallo were extremely solid and largely responsible for the win. I do wonder if the change was prompted by the ex-Brentford Director joining us, as otherwise Ralph might have considered 4222.

It would be great to think that we can maintain a winning run, but there’s some tougher games coming up. Still, feeling a lot more positive about what can be achieved this season now.

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I do wonder if the change was prompted by the ex-Brentford Director joining us, as otherwise Ralph might have considered 4222.

This is a really good point actually. With his inside knowledge he would have been able to give Ralph clear instructions on how to neutralise their threat and penetrate their defence. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

As a public service could you re-post your "Turnip's Guide to Correct Behaviour and Dress at Football Matches"?  It's much needed by fans terminally enjoying themselves

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lots of very good performances last night but a rare three man central midfield formation was I think a first under Ralph, effectively playing without tens, and my god it looked good.  The three absolutely dominated the middle of the pitch.

Credit to Ralph as I think that is the fourth different formation we have seen so far this season, and that flexibility is making a big difference to our campaign.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forester said:

Lots of very good performances last night but a rare three man central midfield formation was I think a first under Ralph, effectively playing without tens, and my god it looked good.  The three absolutely dominated the middle of the pitch.

The three of them have played together in a three on a few occasions. Not always at the start of games.

1 minute ago, Forester said:

Credit to Ralph as I think that is the fourth different formation we have seen so far this season, and that flexibility is making a big difference to our campaign.

Agreed. When that line up was put out my first thought was JWP right wing back with Tella and Redmond as 10's. A 3 man midfield and no 10's didn't even cross my mind. Apart from Tella who played a weird role (albeit a genius one) we had round pegs in round holes all over the pitch. I'm not sure what's made Ralph get his head out of arse over this 4222 and wingers as 10's, but I'm liking the new flexible Ralph. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mark Mywords said:

In his native Albania he is called Broy-ya. As he has lived in England since his birth, his name has been pronounced (or mis-pronounced) as Bro-ja and that has stuck. Hope that helps.

It's broy Ya, but he said he is used to being called bro ja now as English fans have difficulty sticking to the correct pronunciation unsurprisingly

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Verbal said:

As a public service could you re-post your "Turnip's Guide to Correct Behaviour and Dress at Football Matches"?  It's much needed by fans terminally enjoying themselves

Still following me around pal? Maybe it’s time for another trip to the therapist 

Very glad to see we saw the sticky moments of the game through.  Great engine from the team. JWP played very well MOTM for me and i suspect alot of others.

Perraud  played well in the first half and faded a little  2nd and maybe Ralp could have put  Simeu on after we got the 4th? maybe.

23 minutes ago, egg said:

Agreed. When that line up was put out my first thought was JWP right wing back with Tella and Redmond as 10's. A 3 man midfield and no 10's didn't even cross my mind. Apart from Tella who played a weird role (albeit a genius one) we had round pegs in round holes all over the pitch. I'm not sure what's made Ralph get his head out of arse over this 4222 and wingers as 10's, but I'm liking the new flexible Ralph. 

Maybe new owners might not take to the manager making the same mistake every game?

5 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Yes yes yes. This has been clear for a while now, even last season when FF came in around the time we beat Liverpool at home. We are so much calmer with him in goal, so much more organised. He isn't the best keeper in the world, far from it, but he's miles ahead of McCarthy and is a bit of a beast to have between the sticks. If we give McCarthy a contract and not FF that'll be a terrible decision. FF is the superior keeper.

What a joy to watch that game. Diallo and Tella had cracking games. Salisu is brilliant. Love Lyanco. Broja is too good for us and even Redmond had a good game. What's going on?

been saying this for ages re FF. He emanates calm to the back four. McCarthy emanates jittery confusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

This is a really good point actually. With his inside knowledge he would have been able to give Ralph clear instructions on how to neutralise their threat and penetrate their defence. 

No. As Ralph pointed out before the game we have played Brentford quite often in the last couple of years, in behind closed doors friendlies/at the training ground, we are more aware of their strengths and style than many other teams. Think it was pretty obvious beforehand that we were going to play the formation we did, because of the lack of RB and also to match up Brentford's formation. 

8 hours ago, TWar said:

Was busy so just finished watching it on sky. Excellent game, well set up formation, superb goals by Broja and Adams. My man of the match is JWP, his corner set the stage and some of his tackles were incredible. Runners up both Diallo and Romeu who were both immense. Perraud good too. Probably our best performance as a team of the season.

I am recording the game as I speak. Really looking forward to watching it later especially in view of posts above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Classic Saints , celebrate going 4-1 by turning it into a Little Mix concert,  AMF 

Was a good win though, makes a change from nervous defending at the end, can concentrate on winning the FA Cup now 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DT said:

been saying this for ages re FF. He emanates calm to the back four. McCarthy emanates jittery confusion.

Im glad he makes you calm lol. He pushed 2outfor the Swansea players on Sunday and if they had been better quality it could have done for us, add to that he got close to taking a cross over the line. Hes a decent keeper but lets not get carried away. I do accept he is more dominant and was shouting at the defence last night

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Noodles34 said:

Thought the referee was excellent tonight. Let the game flow and didn’t blow for everything and didn’t send off one of our players. MOM

I agree with this but he did bottle the second yellow for Toney !

It was clear cut....

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

No idea why people are so bothered by the phone thing. The crowd seemed to be having fun with it.

when its done at Anfield or Spurs etc it will be hailed as magnificent. I only watched on TV and thought it was amusing

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Only by those who didn’t know - It was pre arranged in that final on 65 minutes a torch-light for Markus the age he was when he passed. 

It was an in the moment thing last night that matched the rare mood of the stadium. 

• Like 4

Controversial statement (and I love Ralph by the way). Was the change in formation Ralph's tactical genius to match the oppositions tactics, or was it forced out of the injury list? If we had a fully fit team would it be the standard tactics and if that was the case would we have done so well?

Some have commented that we are predictable and easy to play against as Ralph never tends to deviate from his preferred formation. Yesterday he was forced to change it and the opponent straight away were on the ropes!

Just now, ozzmeister said:

Controversial statement (and I love Ralph by the way). Was the change in formation Ralph's tactical genius to match the oppositions tactics, or was it forced out of the injury list? If we had a fully fit team would it be the standard tactics and if that was the case would we have done so well?

Some have commented that we are predictable and easy to play against as Ralph never tends to deviate from his preferred formation. Yesterday he was forced to change it and the opponent straight away were on the ropes!

It's a good point. To be honest I think we have moved to a 3 at the back a few times and also tried out other formations like a 4141 and neither of those were forced by injury so it is definitely in Ralphs locker to change it up tactically. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on it.

Just now, ozzmeister said:

We won because the players made few mistakes and played really well whereas Brentford did not

• Like 1