Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Absolutely must win. Hopefully one of Adams and Armstrong is back and can play next to Broja. Back to a 4222 with Tella and Redmond behind the forwards and I think we have a decent chance to score some goals. I'd drop Lyanco out for Stephens as I think he was pretty rash today, was sloppy positionally, and he had this annoying habit of waiting until the striker was basically on him before making a pass then shanking it to palace. Aside from that, same as today.

We've got to win this one, but you know we'll somehow contrive to drop points in a typically infuriating way.

Be interesting to see how the squad looks - I wonder if we'll have Armstrong back? I don't think he was too far away today, so he may start to replace Smallbone in the squad (2 games in a few days would be a bit too much for him, imo)

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Stu?  Who knows?!  Can't imagine he would be anywhere close to sharp.  Maybe off the bench?

We need to take the chances we always miss.

Ah not stu, was referring to Adam Armstrong.

Not really expecting to see Stu anytime soon, feels like one of those random unexplained never-ending absences!

• Sad 1

Forgot they all had a game called off. Would have been vs united too. We've got no luck. There's pierced my optimism bubble pierced.

Expect given today's subs we won't have any of the other strikers fit. I'll keep hoping ralph will one day rotate Livramento out for a game.

Forster

KWP Lyanco Salisu Perraud

Elyounessi Romeu JWP Djenepo

Tella Broja

Edited by Baird of the land

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I'd go back to the Stephens/Salisu combo from earlier in the season.

I wouldn't complain too much about that but personally i like the looks of Lyanco/Salisu. Just no Bednarek please.

Given ralph's praise of Lyanco it would be odd to drop him.

"Lyanco was good, he had a very good game. It was nice to watch the young lads up front. They are brave."

35 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I wouldn't complain too much about that but personally i like the looks of Lyanco/Salisu. Just no Bednarek please.

Given ralph's praise of Lyanco it would be odd to drop him.

"Lyanco was good, he had a very good game. It was nice to watch the young lads up front. They are brave."

I didn't think Lyanco was bad either. He does worry me at times though, he's very rash and over emotional at times. Prone to getting caught by diving in for challenges he shouldn't as he's over keen. Makes me nervous in that sense, but he was ok tonight.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Forgot they all had a game called off. Would have been vs united too. We've got no luck. There's pierced my optimism bubble pierced.

Expect given today's subs we won't have any of the other strikers fit. I'll keep hoping ralph will one day rotate Livramento out for a game.

Forster

KWP Lyanco Salisu Perraud

Elyounessi Romeu JWP Djenepo

Tella Broja

Djenepo should be nowhere near our team atm. Tella in AM, Che or Arma up top.

Absolute must win now. Our ongoing record of no wins without S Armstrong continues although I hear Brentford will have an 18 year old in goal playing his first professional game so we need to test him. Despite this, I still have no confidence in this team winning games even when we take the lead.

Edited by Disco Stu

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

BREAKING: #BrentfordFC boss Thomas Frank wants this weekend's full round of Premier League fixtures postponed to "break the chain" on the current Covid crisis.

Good chance this will be called-off

Agreed. If that happens I think they'll go full hog and we'll see a break until January in my opinion. Shame really as I love the Christmas fixtures. It'll remove the mass gatherings of people as well which the government want to avoid. 

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Agreed. If that happens I think they'll go full hog and we'll see a break until January in my opinion. Shame really as I love the Christmas fixtures. It'll remove the mass gatherings of people as well which the government want to avoid. 

Yep, annoying but it makes sense.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I' was assuming neither of those will be fit given ralph protected Tella/Broja by subbing them

Seems like it won't go ahead anyway, which is probably good.

I think Tella was knackered tbh. Broja was subbed for protection by the looks of things but Tella just was out of steam. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I agree with him tbh, forget this weekends and the League Cup, break the chain, get the training facilities thoroughly cleaned etc and go again Boxing Day.

Hmm gutted if this is cancelled but can see why.

My only question is that with Qatar 2022 how much room to manoeuvre do we have to push season back some more.

I don't think even having a pause will help, it's not like practices will change much because players use gyms/physios/doctors, they all train together etc etc and with this new easily transmissible variant how easy is it to even contain it?

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I agree with him tbh, forget this weekends and the League Cup, break the chain, get the training facilities thoroughly cleaned etc and go again Boxing Day.

Boxing Day the cases will still be going up. 

Brentford not playing Chelsea on Tuesday isn't really going to impact that either way.

2 hours ago, Saint_lambden said:

Zero chance of this being played as they already had about 6 players out with injury. 

That shouldn't stop the game, injuries have nothing to do with cancelled games. 

Proof of positive Covid cases will stop the game, how many you need to get a game cancelled no one knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Could do with the Premier League forcing them to play (although that will not happen, I am sure)

I would think the government would prefer the games to go ahead.

A weekend of cancelled Prem games is an incredibly high profile indicator that we are in lockdown in all but name.

Which exactly the kind of message that the government is trying to wriggle out of (because they don't want to start forking out furlough money or admitting the scale of the issue).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sideways Jim said:

That shouldn't stop the game, injuries have nothing to do with cancelled games. 

Proof of positive Covid cases will stop the game, how many you need to get a game cancelled no one knows 🤷🏻‍♂️

Brendan Rodgers yesterday: 

"Unfortunately we weren't granted dispensation, which is disappointing," said Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers.

"As a team and a club, we have always wanted to support all the measures, but when we need a little support with the extreme situation we find ourselves in, we weren't able to get it."There was a big doubt for the game against Newcastle on Sunday, but for the greater good of the game and for the supporters, it went ahead.

"But since then, we have picked up more injuries. They are not Covid-related - but they are, because players are picking up injuries because we can't rotate the team and the squad because of the number of players we already have out."

Today, it's called off. So yeah, who knows. 🤷‍♂️

Think there needs to be a guideline of six first team players (registered in the 25, rather than starting 11) having proof of a positive test, rather than this current case by case basis and screwing fans over by calling off Burnley vs Watford two hours before kick off. 

Edited by HarvSFC

I agree make them play!

I wonder if our players doing relatively well to stay out of Covid is either due to:

a) Southampton is just the cleanest city in the country or;

b) We as a club are the nicest in the PL and so probably aren't even using our training ground facilities to the max whilst other clubs are... 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Brendan Rodgers yesterday: 

"Unfortunately we weren't granted dispensation, which is disappointing," said Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers.

"As a team and a club, we have always wanted to support all the measures, but when we need a little support with the extreme situation we find ourselves in, we weren't able to get it."There was a big doubt for the game against Newcastle on Sunday, but for the greater good of the game and for the supporters, it went ahead.

"But since then, we have picked up more injuries. They are not Covid-related - but they are, because players are picking up injuries because we can't rotate the team and the squad because of the number of players we already have out."

Today, it's called off. So yeah, who knows. 🤷‍♂️

Think there needs to be a guideline of six first team players (registered in the 25, rather than starting 11) having proof of a positive test, rather than this current case by case basis and screwing fans over by calling off Burnley vs Watford two hours before kick off. 

What a load of nonsense from Rodgers. Can't start blaming Covid for injuries 😂

11 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I agree make them play!

I wonder if our players doing relatively well to stay out of Covid is either due to:

a) Southampton is just the cleanest city in the country or;

b) We as a club are the nicest in the PL and so probably aren't even using our training ground facilities to the max whilst other clubs are... 

We don't tend to get anywhere near close enough to opposition players and our keepers couldn't catch a cold

😉 

• Like 1