Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

5 minutes ago, DT said:

Yes, what is Stuart Amstrong's problem? 'Calf' seems like a bit of a catch-all. Is it more like 'Ralph'? Something doesn't feel right.

Fit enough to play for Scotland in November but barely featured for us all season. Very strange indeed.

It wouldn't surprise me if Stu leaves in January. Something's not right. I guess the only positive would be that we might get some decent money for him.

Just on the Covid front - I see Klopp is quoted as saying he can't the the benefit of stopping the Premier league because of Covid. Why do I think he'd be saying something different if 7 of his players had Covid.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Fit enough to play for Scotland in November but barely featured for us all season. Very strange indeed.

He even was in the Scotland squad in October wasn't he when he hadn't played for a couple of months? 

Something definitely not right. 

Wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't for the fact we haven't won without him for more than two years! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Stu leaves in January. Something's not right. I guess the only positive would be that we might get some decent money for him.

Just on the Covid front - I see Klopp is quoted as saying he can't the the benefit of stopping the Premier league because of Covid. Why do I think he'd be saying something different if 7 of his players had Covid.

Indeed. Whenever Liverpool suffer a few injuries around this period, he's the most vocal about there being too many fixtures and why the league needs to put in a winter break.

Last time the league took a small month break, it didn't come back for another 4 months. Getting the feeling that it's all happening again.

38 minutes ago, JRM said:

He even was in the Scotland squad in October wasn't he when he hadn't played for a couple of months? 

Wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't for the fact we haven't won without him for more than two years! 

We are fucked then if he goes in January!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Definitely weird, personally i think he's one of our best players. I dont see him as being a trouble maker type either, seem like a decent well educated lad. 

2 hours ago, IFHP said:

We are fucked then if he goes in January!

I really like Stu, but If we got decent money for him we could use it to buy someone else or.......offer Chelsea some money for Broja and keep him. Can you actually buy a player during a loan period? I'd like to think he'd want to stay if he was "guaranteed" first team football. 

there does seem something off with Stu.

We had weird reports in the summer that he was being linked to a return back north, but they went quiet. He's been injured all season but has weirdly played for Scotland more than he has for us. 

Something isn't right whether it's his fitness or something else behind the scenes. It's a shame because he's our only decent driving number 10, and if he does go then we'll need to spend big to replace him (which we won't)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

there does seem something off with Stu.

We had weird reports in the summer that he was being linked to a return back north, but they went quiet. He's been injured all season but has weirdly played for Scotland more than he has for us. 

Something isn't right whether it's his fitness or something else behind the scenes. It's a shame because he's our only decent driving number 10, and if he does go then we'll need to spend big to replace him (which we won't)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Newcastle make a move for him. They are going to need players like him in January. He'll certainly be more reliable for Howe than the likes of Amiron and Joelintion 

22 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Boro did it in the late 90s, didn't they?

No, they didn't. They tried but they did not lose the 3 points to Blackburn, they were docked 3 points as well, as punishment, which ultimately saw them relegated (they would have stayed up if they had just conceded the game). It suggests this was done by the League to warn other clubs that trying this would result in a punishment rather than just forfeiting the game. So I go back to my original point that I don't believe anyone has merely forfeited a game in the professional leagues in England in living memory. JRM was just talking nonsense.

56 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

No, they didn't. They tried but they did not lose the 3 points to Blackburn, they were docked 3 points as well, as punishment, which ultimately saw them relegated (they would have stayed up if they had just conceded the game). It suggests this was done by the League to warn other clubs that trying this would result in a punishment rather than just forfeiting the game. So I go back to my original point that I don't believe anyone has merely forfeited a game in the professional leagues in England in living memory. JRM was just talking nonsense.

Where did I say professional? The level I played at plenty of times teams withdrew from games due to lack of numbers and other team was awarded the points. That's how it was and how it should be if you cant field a side. 

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Newcastle make a move for him. They are going to need players like him in January. He'll certainly be more reliable for Howe than the likes of Amiron and Joelintion 

They'll be setting their sights much much higher than Armstrong.

Dembele for a start, maybe Ali. 

40 minutes ago, JRM said:

Where did I say professional? The level I played at plenty of times teams withdrew from games due to lack of numbers and other team was awarded the points. That's how it was and how it should be if you cant field a side. 

You didn't, but you were talking about in the old days with reference to teams like Brentford and Southampton, you didn't mention pub teams. You were talking bollocks in the context of the post, you know it, but don't have the balls to admit it. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

They'll be setting their sights much much higher than Armstrong.

Dembele for a start, maybe Ali. 

Not sure about that. Have you seen some of the names that have been put out that they have been linked too? All well and good having cash to burn, but they aren't in the most attractive of positions to attract big names. I know money talks but is Dembele really going to swap Barcelona for Newcastle?

59 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not sure about that. Have you seen some of the names that have been put out that they have been linked too? All well and good having cash to burn, but they aren't in the most attractive of positions to attract big names. I know money talks but is Dembele really going to swap Barcelona for Newcastle?

Possibly on a 6 month contract for huge money?

Interested in a €100m bid for Vlahovic apparently and Botman £40m from Lille….will be very interesting to see who they end up with. Also been linked with Steve Cook….🤔

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

You didn't, but you were talking about in the old days with reference to teams like Brentford and Southampton, you didn't mention pub teams. You were talking bollocks in the context of the post, you know it, but don't have the balls to admit it. 

No my point was valid , you misunderstood. Teams shouldn't be able to wriggle out of fixtures if they have enough players to field a team. 

• Like 1

On 17/12/2021 at 19:31, VectisSaint said:

Hi VectisSaint 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CHAPEL END CHARLIE said:

With this fixture postponed - and with more to come perhaps - are the club likely to offer fans ticket refunds if they can't make the revised match dates?

Given they have to comply with consumer law, they won't have a choice but to issue refunds if the alternative option isn't acceptable / viable to the consumer. How overt they are in publicising their legal obligations is up to them of course.

18 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I'll tell you what, Spurs chucked the towel in on Europe. They wanted out. No way would that have been the decision if Spuds wanted to be in it still. 

Can’t see that personally, which option has more money in it.

Edited by Uncle Albert

• 2 weeks later...

Ralph in his post match Amazon interview seemed to suggest that the Brentford game could be rearranged as soon as the mid week after the Swansea cup match.

That's only 2 weeks time and would need to be announced soon in order to give the clubs, fans and police sufficient time to plan.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Brentford - Jan 11th 7.45pm

Could someone please advise if the same ticket purchased for the original game is still valid for the 11th Jan (without re-issue) ??

I've fumbled around the SFC website and can't seem to get confirmation of this !

I'd hate to get to the turnstile and my mate be turned away !

36 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

Could someone please advise if the same ticket purchased for the original game is still valid for the 11th Jan (without re-issue) ??

I've fumbled around the SFC website and can't seem to get confirmation of this !

I'd hate to get to the turnstile and my mate be turned away !

It’ll work

On 02/01/2022 at 18:32, petermcpete said:

Has anyone requested a refund for this? I can't make the new date....hoping it's not going to be a ballache to get the money back...

Haven't tried yet, but I'm in the same position. T&C's don't look favourable for a refund. https://www.southamptonfc.com/season-tickets/ticketing-terms-and-conditions/ticketing-terms-and-conditions

On 02/01/2022 at 18:32, petermcpete said:

Has anyone requested a refund for this? I can't make the new date....hoping it's not going to be a ballache to get the money back...

1 hour ago, millsy said:

Haven't tried yet, but I'm in the same position. T&C's don't look favourable for a refundhttps://www.southamptonfc.com/season-tickets/ticketing-terms-and-conditions/ticketing-terms-and-conditions

Sorry to bang on about this but, consumer law trumps what an organisation decides to put in its T&C's.

As I previously posted, Spurs were previously reported to Trading Standards for having "no refunds for postponements" in their ticketing T&C's (see here: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/dec/05/tottenham-hotspur-ticket-refunds-oft) and the FA ordered clubs to remove such clauses from their ticketing conditions. I admit that things may have changed over the last 10 years or so but the fundamentals that underpin consumer law have been pretty much set in concrete for decades. 

I'm in the same boat so I'm going to contact the club this week and invite them to prove that their T&C's comply with consumer law and thus the expectations and rules of trading standards / the OFT.

P.s. most companies get away with this because people generally can't be arsed to challenge what is in the T&C's. You'll also note that all T&C's have a clause along the lines of "TheseT&Cs are subject to the law of England and Wales" (Saints have the clause below in theirs) which is basically a way of saying: "we'll put what we like in our T&C's but, at the end of the day, we have to comply with consumer law, but we'll make it as difficult as we can to put people off challenging"...

"21.6 These Terms and Conditions and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with them 
shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. The 
parties hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales in relation 
to any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with these Terms and Conditions (including 
in relation to any non-contractual disputes or claims).
"

Anyway, as I say, sorry to bang on about this, but people need to challenge T&C's that appear to flout consumer law...

(And double apologies if the rules have changed at some point and outdated my understanding of how the law of the land trumps a company's T&C's!)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

Please keep us updated. Suspect a lot of people in the same position. Like me for 4 tickets…

Why wait for someone else to try? Trousers has outlined what needs to be said so why not contact the yourself? The more people that complain the more likely they are to reimburse. 

I just called them, they were happy to refund - they just need it in writing i.e via email. No quibbles at all. 

Pleasantly surprised as was expecting some resistance!

Just a shame they didn't mention anything proactively as I'm sure some people will just write off the money - and most people need it more this time of year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, petermcpete said:

I just called them, they were happy to refund - they just need it in writing i.e via email. No quibbles at all. 

Pleasantly surprised as was expecting some resistance!

Just a shame they didn't mention anything proactively as I'm sure some people will just write off the money - and most people need it more this time of year.

Yes, I was asked to do the same with a similar lack of resistance. 

If Tino is definitely out, I wouldn’t mind some of that versatility Ralph goes on about and play with a 3 at the back (to match Brentford)

Otherwise, I’d probably put Jack Stephens at right back and get JWP back in his best position. 

If I was the Brentford manager though, I’d just stick Mbeumo on Perraud who had a stinker today and played 120m, they’ll find chances that side. I think put Redmond on the left side to help Perraud out and track back. 

Stephens at rightback and salisu/bednarek in the middle would be sensible. Then again, Diallo was class today so maybe diallo romeu in the middle and JWP at rb. I'd prefer the former personally, we miss jwp in the middle too much when he isn't there.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic