Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

What time do the morning's covid test results come through! When is the decision deadline from the league? How will Kegs do against Brentford? So many questions!

Not like they have to prove anything...we can just make it up like Newcastle because we don't want to play...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

What time do the morning's covid test results come through! When is the decision deadline from the league? How will Kegs do against Brentford? So many questions!

Not sure the league do have a deadline judging by some of the short notice postponements that have been happening?

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Given Klopp got his recent game based on COVID test 'false positives', shall we get a bundle of them off to the FA?

Did a quick search and apparently the chance of a LFT false positive is 1 in 1000. Scousers telling porkies?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DT said:

Given Klopp got his recent game based on COVID test 'false positives', shall we get a bundle of them off to the FA?

"supposedly" pouring diet coke on a lateral flow test provides a positive result, get the multipacks out lads.

Lets go for it. Three more points to gain tomorrow and as usual I am the optimist, then three more off Wolves on Saturday will give us the breathing space we need. Can't see the new owners spending much this window.

PS. The Newcastle cancellation didn't do them any favours did it? Well done Cambridge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

Lets go for it. Three more points to gain tomorrow and as usual I am the optimist, then three more off Wolves on Saturday will give us the breathing space we need. Can't see the new owners spending much this window.

PS. The Newcastle cancellation didn't do them any favours did it? Well done Cambridge.

Great wasn’t it, I don’t like to shit on clubs but I fucking hate Newcastle at the moment.

• Like 7

We don't have the players for 4-2-2-2 so it will have to be 3-4-3
                Forster
       Bednarek-Lyanco-Salisu
Redmond-JWP-Diallo-Perraud (Small?)
       Tella-Broja-Moi

Romeu & Perraud need a rest after Saturday imho. Che and Stu and maybe Adarma on after 60mins and who knows we might see Caleb Watts?

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

"supposedly" pouring diet coke on a lateral flow test provides a positive result, get the multipacks out lads.

Apple juice does as well, kids were faking tests to get time off school! 

Who is available who didn't play any minutes on Saturday? (Who has started Prem matches.)

Salisu, Lyanco, Adams (Possibly Walcott - don't know why he wasn't at least on the bench).

Who was subbed on/off? (Less minutes in legs.)

Redmond, Stu Armstrong, Adam Armstrong, Diallo, Tella, Eleyounoussi, Broja, Long

That gives us 11/12 who didn't put a 120+ shift in, but with obvious omissions in goalkeeper and defence, and of course the machine to whom 120 minutes is a casual stroll - JWP = 12/13.

Obviously FF will be okay between the sticks (13/14) and I think we should play our only available full back, Perraud (14/15), plus one of Stephens or Bednarek (15/16) - (unless JWP plays RB/RBW and we just have a CB pairing of Lynco/Salisu - gulp, but then we would also lose him from CM again). Whether as the right sided CB in a back 3 or as a RB, I would prefer Stephens. That said, I would also prefer Bednarek against Toney than Lyanco. (16/17?)

Given the above to work with, for 4-1-4-1, I think I would start with:

FF  

Stephens   Bednarek     Salisu    Perraud

JWP

Tella         Diallo         Stu Arm        Redmond

Che

Broja, Arma, Moi off the bench as attacking options, with Long and possibly Theo (17) as others options. Lyanco defensive option. Oriol (18) CM option. Willy as GK cover (19). Number 20 should be another defender. Simeu is the obvious choice.

Subs: Willy, Lyanco, Simeu, Romeu, Moi, Arma, Broja, Long, Walcott

(If Walcott not available for some reason we don't know of. or even to give better cover/options, maybe one of the U23s like Chauke.)

OR go with a 3-4-3:

FF  

Stephens   Bednarek   Salisu   

Stu Arm     JWP         Diallo       Perraud

Redmond        Che        Arma

(Possibly Redders vice Stu at RWB with Tella up front? - Or simply switch Stu and JWP over?)

Plenty of options with only 3 outfield players who put in the full 120 mins. 2 CBs (one of which could be swapped out for a completely fresh Lyanco) with the other being our ultra-fit captain. And with Broja on the bench to tear them up in the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Will be my first game for nearly 3 years.

Any recommendations for somewhere to have a quick beer beforehand (and to park)? Driving in from Bishops Waltham.

Browns ,on the corner of Millbank Street and Williams street is easy walking distance to the ground and if you are early enough Bond street car park is just down the road and I believe free to park . Downside a nightmare to get out after . Of course you could always pop back into Browns and let the traffic die down. 

1 hour ago, FboroSaint21 said:

Last train is at 10pm again. Anyone any idea why there isn’t a later service out of Central? Seems bizarre that with midweek games there aren’t later trains?

Just noticed that the KO is 19.45 not 20.00 so an extra 15 minutes to get back to the station. In the Brighton direction the last train is 10.21 or 10.26 (there appear to be two!) but slightly worried about covid staff issues.. Last 8 o'clock match with loads of extra time I was on the front row by the whistle then a fast jog to the station, but I'd rather be more relaxed about it!

44 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

It’s a joke, always used to be an 11pm train, absolute crap from SWT 

Would have been nice to be able to have a beer afterwards rather than a sprint to the station! Don’t get why it’s so early? Last time I attended midweek I had to fork out for a hotel.

On 09/01/2022 at 01:40, Saint Pete said:

Forster

Stephens Salisu Bednarek

Redmond JWP Diallo Perraud

S.Armstrong Elyonoussi

Broja

I thought Romeu had a poor game by his standards last night and looked very weary towards the end so would rest him if we can for this one.

Romeu always looks behind the fitness curve when not getting regular game time, start of season, after injury or when not selected. So not sure if not playing him will improve this or make it worse?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FboroSaint21 said:

Last train is at 10pm again. Anyone any idea why there isn’t a later service out of Central? Seems bizarre that with midweek games there aren’t later trains?

It's an absolute joke, used to be a 22.30 and 23.00, they made cut backs to the timetable with covid and have never gone back to what it should be, probably to save money. 

The 22.00 is do able but need to be quick or leave a few mins before the end. 

Brentford have sold out 3300 as well so you'd imagine quite a few of them will want to make that train. 

• 18 of the 26 Premier League goals conceded by Brentford have come in the first half.
  • Brentford have scored 3 winning goals in the final 10 minutes of league games this season, more than any other top-flight side.

Saints are a first half team; Brentford are a second half team. I think I can see how this game is going to go. We'll need to score at least 2 goals in the first half.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

It's an absolute joke, used to be a 22.30 and 23.00, they made cut backs to the timetable with covid and have never gone back to what it should be, probably to save money. 

The 22.00 is do able but need to be quick or leave a few mins before the end. 

Brentford have sold out 3300 as well so you'd imagine quite a few of them will want to make that train. 

Blimey hope it doesn’t go to extra time!

😁🤪😜😎

19 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Been sent an e-ticket for the game - does anyone know if this has to be printed off, or can it be scanned on the phone?

Sorry, it's been a while and feeling a bit technologically hopeless!

The turnstile should have no problem reading the barcode from your phone screen. Just make sure the full code is visible and your screen is bright :)

6 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

The turnstile should have no problem reading the barcode from your phone screen. Just make sure the full code is visible and your screen is bright :)

There was someone at the Leicester home  game trying that in front of me , didn't seem to work and the steward sent them to the ticket office to get one printed off so worth checking 

3 minutes ago, John D said:

Sky sports has the game tonight listed at 9pm.

Anyone know if this is delayed live, highlights or just a mistake?

Good question - the 9pm start appears to be correct but surely it can't be. If so, this is rather worrying as we would then be second choice after the Sudan v Guinea-Bissau fixture at the AFCON which is scheduled for not one but two of the Sky Sports channels. Nice to know where we stand. 

Oh would some power the giftie gie us

To see ourselves as others see us 

29 minutes ago, John D said:

I'd assume that they're showing Sky Sports News...surely a mistake, I don't think they can show highlights until the game has concluded either, and whilst they have 3 minute highlights on YouTube, I think the BBC owns the official highlights package via MOTD

This game isn't being broadcasted by Sky Sports/BT or Amazon in the UK, it has to be a stream job tonight

Edited by nta786

13 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I'd assume that they're showing Sky Sports News...surely a mistake, I don't think they can show highlights until the game has concluded either, and whilst they have 3 minute highlights on YouTube, I think the BBC owns the official highlights package via MOTD

This game isn't being broadcasted by Sky Sports/BT or Amazon in the UK, it has to be a stream job tonight

Yeah, I can only think it's a mistake. They wouldn't be able to re-run the game in full either as they haven't broadcasted it themselves, so they'd have no rights. Highlights on their app, yeah, but other than that they cannot show it unless they are the designated broadcaster of that game (which they aren't, as it wasn't ever a televised game)

Edited by S-Clarke

12 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:
  • 18 of the 26 Premier League goals conceded by Brentford have come in the first half.
  • Brentford have scored 3 winning goals in the final 10 minutes of league games this season, more than any other top-flight side.

Saints are a first half team; Brentford are a second half team. I think I can see how this game is going to go. We'll need to score at least 2 goals in the first half.

If we win the toss, probably best to kick towards the Northam second half.

1 hour ago, John D said:

Yesterday they were showing the recording starting at 10.30pm for 1h 45m but that had the Everton v Leicester match live before it until it was postponed.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 4-1 Brentford - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic